Become a Patron!

Hello, Time to make some changes

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been smoking for 41 years. Finally decided I might want to hang round this life a little longer. Went down yesterday and bought a Smok V8 Baby and a couple of bottles of juice. Went back today and picked up A Smok V8 and a couple of bottles of Ragna-Rok. Had my last cigarette yesterday at 12:00. So far so good.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Good on you!

Welcome to VU and best wishes on your road to becoming a vaper instead!

Smoked for 37 years myself and had my last cigarette in January, 2016.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Congratulations-002.jpg

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I had a weird superstition that I needed to quit before I had smoked for 40 yrs... :giggle: So, thx to vaping, I smoked for only 39 yrs; almost 3 yrs out of smokers' prison now. :)

Welcome to VU, and a whole new life... ;)

Andria

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU. Vaping is working for me after 40+ years of cigs. Congrats on putting them down. You never have to smoke again...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the VU
Good luck

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome.;. Congratulations and good luck with quitting. Your lungs will love you for it.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome BCBuch and congrats on quitting. How you liking the Smok so far?

Both of the Smoks work fine. I like the V8 a little better than the Baby V8. Both will work fine for what I need them for. i couldn't see paying $30+ for extra cores and tank when for another $10 or so I could have a whole rig. Got the extra so I could have 2 flavors to pick from without them blending together. I have figured out that 3 is about as much nicotine as I want. Right now I have a 60ml bottle of CA Pops #6 I'm cutting with a bottle NicQuid cinnamon 0, or Ragna-Rok Heimdall #3. I'm using that in the Baby V8. I'm using Ragna-Rok Odin #3 in the V8.

I figured out any higher nic level than a 3 and I get a slight headache and it messes with my GI track some.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to VU. Vaping is working for me after 40+ years of cigs. Congrats on putting them down. You never have to smoke again...

That was the idea behind the move. Bad heart history on my dad's side of the gene pool. Right now my sons are the only ones left to carry on the family name. Neither of them have kids yet. Kind of thought I might like to be around when that day comes. So I thought I would start with quitting tobacco and hen work on getting back into shape a bit.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome BCBuch.

I just started vaping and gave up smoking after ~40 years to save money :)

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome BCBuch.

I just started vaping and gave up smoking after ~40 years to save money :)

I don't know how it is where everyone else lives but cigarettes here are 5.30 plus a pack and dip at least what use runs up to 6 something a can. So I understand the saving money thing. Then you take into consideration that your house, vehicles, clothes, breath ect will quit smelling like shit and there is the added health benefits. I'm thinking it is a win win change.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know how it is where everyone else lives but cigarettes here are 5.30 plus a pack and dip at least what use runs up to 6 something a can. So I understand the saving money thing. Then you take into consideration that your house, vehicles, clothes, breath ect will quit smelling like shit and there is the added health benefits. I'm thinking it is a win win change.
Plus, pretty soon you're going to discover how out of breath you felt & probably didn't even realize before. After about 2 weeks after I quit (about a month ago) i all of a sudden realized while running after my son that i didn't feel like i had a ton of bricks on my chest. That was a great feeling!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep no stinkn. and can vape in my house now.
Lots of added benefits.
If you get into rebuildables and DIY you can save a LOT of money.
Just be careful that the shinyitiis does not grab you by the butt :)

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Plus, pretty soon you're going to discover how out of breath you felt & probably didn't even realize before. After about 2 weeks after I quit (about a month ago) i all of a sudden realized while running after my son that i didn't feel like i had a ton of bricks on my chest. That was a great feeling!

At 54 believe me I realize how out of shape I am. I was hit by a car on one of my bikes back in Dec of 08. A couple of the consequences were loosing my since of smell which fades back in from time to time for a brief second or two, and loosing my since of taste for over a year and a half. The taste is back to probably 75%. I'm hoping that there is some improvement in both those areas over the next few months.

The out of shape thing is item number 2 on the list of stuff to work on. I kind of figure that the quitting smoking is the first step down that road.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep BCB ion a few weeks you will notice a difference.
Don't sweat nearly as easily.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, I have to ask... What is the "shinyitiis"?

Wanting and buying all the new shiny bits of vaping gear.

Some spend far more on vaping than they did on smoking.

You do NEED backups but not every new thing.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, I am feeling the same about getting into shape. I have found that it is easier for me to not eat snacks because I can vape in the house & some of the flavors I have been discovering help satisfy SOME of my cravings. Of course, when I'm in the mood for some late night tacos, my flavors aren't going to help much... no taco flavored nice for me, thank you, lol!

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wanting and buying all the new shiny bits of vaping gear.

Some spend far more on vaping than they did on smoking.

You do NEED backups but not every new thing.
Yeah, I can see that becoming a problem very easily. Luckily (kind of), I have a wife who is very strict on our budget.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep no stinkn. and can vape in my house now.
Lots of added benefits.
If you get into rebuildables and DIY you can save a LOT of money.
Just be careful that the shinyitiis does not grab you by the butt :)

I work in he oilfield and time to myself is a rare commodity. We found good vape shop in Conway, AR about 45 minutes from the house. I can make a run down there every couple of weeks and pick up juice and accessories.

On the shinyittis side of things that is saved for my Harleys.lol The vaping will simply be supported off the savings from quitting smoking which was costing us between 200 and 300 a month.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I can see that becoming a problem very easily. Luckily (kind of), I have a wife who is very strict on our budget.

On a fairly strict budget here to. I make the money and my wife pays the bills with it. I figure these Smoks that I bought work pretty good. Then it was just a matter of finding some juice that I liked. Right now the Ragna-Rok is pleasant enough so I'm good to go for now. The wife is finishing up the cigarettes that were left and hen she is switching to, We got her a Smok Baby V8 and 3 bottles of juice. She should run out of cigarettes sometime tonight and be vaping tomorrow.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a fairly strict budget here to. I make the money and my wife pays the bills with it. I figure these Smoks that I bought work pretty good. Then it was just a matter of finding some juice that I liked. Right now the Ragna-Rok is pleasant enough so I'm good to go for now. The wife is finishing up the cigarettes that were left and hen she is switching to, We got her a Smok Baby V8 and 3 bottles of juice. She should run out of cigarettes sometime tonight and be vaping tomorrow.
good luck to both you and the wife unit.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

That can be either very helpful, or a real hindrance, if she doesn't support your vaping 1000000%. *I* am the strictly-budgeting wife around here, so I have to ride herd on his coin collecting hobby... but since he DOES support my vaping 1000000%, I've had zero problems with acquiring a nice hardware selection -- about a dozen good mods that I rotate thru regularly (so that none of them get worn out too quickly), and batteries of course, and about a half-dozen others in my "vapocalypse" stash.

Getting into DIY ejuice is by far the best way to save money, vaping, but it requires a small up-front investment too; mainly bottles, syringes, nicotine, PG/VG, and various flavors; if you get a solid backup of bottles and other "handware", plus nicotine in the freezer and ample PG/VG, then buying new flavors from time to time costs hardly anything. Since ejuice has at least a 500% markup, whether retail or online, making your own ejuice saves TONS of money, plus you can make it to your own tastes and requirements.

Andria

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wife and I both stopped the cigs and started vaping within a week of each other. I stopped cold turkey and she smoked for a couple days with vaping. We both have been smoke free for going on 4 months. Don't see that it would have ever happened without vaping.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Quitting smoking was never a problem for me. Staying quit was.
almost 2.5 years smoke free with vaping.

I quit once for 5 years and another time for a year and a half. This time it will be for good. Chances are I probably will not quit vaping though. I'll just reduce the nicotine down to 0-3 and go on about life.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I put Vape Tool Pro on my tablet. I think sometime in the near future I might like making some juice dialed into my taste a little more than store bought. Who knows might even decide to get in on the modding side of things to.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well the inevitable happened and my wife ran out of ciggs after I left for work and started trying to use her V8 Baby. I talked to her on the phone and doesn't sound like it is going to well. She is using Cyclops Cerberus #3 nic level and hacking a lung. Not much I can do from here. Guess I will have to see what is going on in the morning after I get home.

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
You might want to get her a different tank. My wife can't use any of mine with out choking on it. Even when I restrict it down to nothing. So I got her an MTL tank. A Nautilus 2. And it's a way better experience for her. I should note she still primarily smokes though, and I'm not going to push her(much). Quitting I think is something you have to do for yourself.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well the inevitable happened and my wife ran out of ciggs after I left for work and started trying to use her V8 Baby. I talked to her on the phone and doesn't sound like it is going to well. She is using Cyclops Cerberus #3 nic level and hacking a lung. Not much I can do from here. Guess I will have to see what is going on in the morning after I get home.
When I first tried vaping I bought a juice that was recommended by a few people. It made me cough like crazy. Just when I was ready to throw in the towel, someone told me to seek out a juice with low PG. Once I tried this, no more coughing. I find that I do just fine as long as I use 30% or less PG juices. Where I am these are hard to find, which is one of the reasons I am now trying to get into DIY juices.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You might want to get her a different tank. My wife can't use any of mine with out choking on it. Even when I restrict it down to nothing. So I got her an MTL tank. A Nautilus 2. And it's a way better experience for her. I should note she still primarily smokes though, and I'm not going to push her(much). Quitting I think is something you have to do for yourself.

I might have to do that. I filled up her V8 before I left today and she plugged it in to charge. My son is there but he is more into making clouds and his suggestions aren't the best. I did look up the juice she is using and it is a 35/65 blend. Thinking it might be a little high on the pg side of things for her. Could be that the air also needs to be adjusted to. Won't know until I get home tomorrow. I called home and told my son to dump the juice out that in in the tank and put some of my Heimdall in it. It is a 30/70 blend and about the mellowest stuff I have at the moment. Smooth and easy hitting. The other stuff she bought is like a 40/60 blend and I figured if pg is the issue she probably doesn't want to go there.

On the quitting thing it is something she actually brought up and got this ball rolling. I agree that everyone has to make hat decision for themselves though. When I talked to her on the phone she said she just needs to give it a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I first tried vaping I bought a juice that was recommended by a few people. It made me cough like crazy. Just when I was ready to throw in the towel, someone told me to seek out a juice with low PG. Once I tried this, no more coughing. I find that I do just fine as long as I use 30% or less PG juices. Where I am these are hard to find, which is one of the reasons I am now trying to get into DIY juices.

PG, airflow, and inexperience were the first things that crossed my mind.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
PG, airflow, and inexperience were the first things that crossed my mind.
What kind of tip is she using. My wife can't use these side drip tips that all of our tanks come with. She has to use a narrower tip of she gets too much at once and coughs.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I might have to do that. I filled up her V8 before I left today and she plugged it in to charge. My son is there but he is more into making clouds and his suggestions aren't the best. I did look up the juice she is using and it is a 35/65 blend. Thinking it might be a little high on the pg side of things for her. Could be that the air also needs to be adjusted to. Won't know until I get home tomorrow. I called home and told my son to dump the juice out that in in the tank and put some of my Heimdall in it. It is a 30/70 blend and about the mellowest stuff I have at the moment. Smooth and easy hitting. The other stuff she bought is like a 40/60 blend and I figured if pg is the issue she probably doesn't want to go there.

On the quitting thing it is something she actually brought up and got this ball rolling. I agree that everyone has to make hat decision for themselves though. When I talked to her on the phone she said she just needs to give it a couple of weeks.

Absolutely the best way to do it, with the least stress. It took me about a month of gradually transitioning, while learning as much as I possibly could, over at butthole central (ECF). By the last 3 days, I had only 1 each day, and really couldn't figure out why I was still bothering with them. So I stopped bothering, and just stayed my ass in my chair at my PC and vaped. :D It takes a little while to get everything working right, acting right, feeling right, and that includes the addict in the brain, getting that idiot to shut the hell up can be a real pain. :D

Andria

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What kind of tip is she using. My wife can't use these side drip tips that all of our tanks come with. She has to use a narrower tip of she gets too much at once and coughs.

Just the standard drip tip that comes on the V8 Baby.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Absolutely the best way to do it, with the least stress. It took me about a month of gradually transitioning, while learning as much as I possibly could, over at butthole central (ECF). By the last 3 days, I had only 1 each day, and really couldn't figure out why I was still bothering with them. So I stopped bothering, and just stayed my ass in my chair at my PC and vaped. :D It takes a little while to get everything working right, acting right, feeling right, and that includes the addict in the brain, getting that idiot to shut the hell up can be a real pain. :D

Andria

You are right. There's a bit of a difference between ciggs and using a rig to vape. It's hard to make suggestions to her from here when I actually can't see what is going on. I figure the best thing to do is wait until I gt home in the morning and see where she actually is having problems. At the end of the day it could just be that it's just a learning process she will work through.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are right. There's a bit of a difference between ciggs and using a rig to vape. It's hard to make suggestions to her from here when I actually can't see what is going on. I figure the best thing to do is wait until I gt home in the morning and see where she actually is having problems. At the end of the day it could just be that it's just a learning process she will work through.

My son is coming home to live with us again on July 5, and he already knows that he's switching to vaping when he gets here, and is more than ready, but after I let him vape a bit on mine a few weeks ago, I can see it's gonna be a learning process for him, too. Got some Camel-type flavors steeping for him, hopefully I can make a Camel-type vape for him so the transition will be easier; he also may like my cherry-vanilla pipe tobacco flavor, since he used to love Black & Mild's. Keeping my fingers crossed -- if he stops now, his bronchitis will hopefully never get so bad that he can't breathe -- with an asthmatic parent who became asthmatic in adulthood, he has a 25% chance of doing the same thing, especially if he keeps smoking. At least he didn't start at 13, as I did! :facepalm:

Andria

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just the standard drip tip that comes on the V8 Baby.
I didnt like the wide tips like on most rigs.. i ended up sucking more flow than i meant to and then coughing.
The narrow hourglass kinda tips are great for my MTL use.
I think airflow/resistance is important for someone trying to switch off the cigs. If it's as close as possible to flow/resistance/temperature/mouthfeel to a reg cig, then the switch is easier.

Good luck to you both though.. Im 1.5 yrs vaping after a dumb 30yrs of smoking.. but feeling way way better !

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didnt like the wide tips like on most rigs.. i ended up sucking more flow than i meant to and then coughing.
I think airflow/resistance is important for someone trying to switch off the cigs. If it's as close as possible to flow/resistance/temperature/mouthfeel to a reg cig, then the switch is easier.

Good luck to you both though.. Im 1.5 yrs vaping after a dumb 30yrs of smoking.. but feeling way way better !

I might have to get my bike out tomorrow afternoon so we can make a run down and look at some stuff.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I might have to get my bike out tomorrow afternoon so we can make a run down and look at some stuff.

I think he might mean the ones that are called "Ming," or in some stores, "Dynasty" -- those are my own faves, in acrylic, which never gets too hot or too cold, though I do have some metal Mings, just 'cuz I'm so damn clumsy, I've broken so many acrylic driptips it oughta be a crime. :D But the Mings have a nice narrow aperture, and deliver excellent flavor.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, a good MTL drip tip could make all the difference

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think he might mean the ones that are called "Ming," or in some stores, "Dynasty" -- those are my own faves, in acrylic, which never gets too hot or too cold, though I do have some metal Mings, just 'cuz I'm so damn clumsy, I've broken so many acrylic driptips it oughta be a crime. :D But the Mings have a nice narrow aperture, and deliver excellent flavor.

Andria

We'll have to go see what hey have. Don't see them on their web site.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My son is coming home to live with us again on July 5, and he already knows that he's switching to vaping when he gets here, and is more than ready, but after I let him vape a bit on mine a few weeks ago, I can see it's gonna be a learning process for him, too. Got some Camel-type flavors steeping for him, hopefully I can make a Camel-type vape for him so the transition will be easier; he also may like my cherry-vanilla pipe tobacco flavor, since he used to love Black & Mild's. Keeping my fingers crossed -- if he stops now, his bronchitis will hopefully never get so bad that he can't breathe -- with an asthmatic parent who became asthmatic in adulthood, he has a 25% chance of doing the same thing, especially if he keeps smoking. At least he didn't start at 13, as I did! :facepalm:

Andria

We moved my oldest down here the end of September. He is going back up to Idaho in a couple of weeks to go to college. He start vaping a couple of weeks ago. You can tell by the way he does it that he is going to be a cloud chaser. Not exactly the person I want trying to tell my wife what the problem is.lol

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yep, it's the hour glass shaped ones that my wife uses as well.

VU Sponsors