Become a Patron!

Help a heavy smoker quit the dangerous habit.

Dear all,

I'd appreciate it if you take the time to read my post and reply with some info that will help me throughout my vaping experience. I am a new vape user. I got me a Voopoo Drag, a dual zeus RTA, 2 sony vtc 6 batteries , and an Efest k2 slim charger. I think I have a question on each of these devices so I will name em out as points.

1. I used the two coils that came up with the zeus rta, the drag reads em both at 0.15 ohms. Is this any good for flavor because I ain't getting any flavor. I am vaping at 50watts max to preserve batteries, which brings us to my second question.

2. I can smoke with the two batteries for ~6 hours, I am (or was) a heavy smoker for 10 years and it has been 2 days since I smoked any cigarettes, but I have a feeling two batteries won't help me quit. Unfortunately ,I can't buy more now . So the question is : Is it okay to charge the batteries through the efest charger plugged into a power bank?

3. Why is my liquid running out so fast? I used 30mL in 48 hours !!

Last but not least, any additional tips will help a man quit a very bad smoking habit <3.
Thank you for reading through out my post. <3

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Welcome to the underground

Cigarettes will have smashed your taste buds it’s fairly normal to not taste much for first few weeks, and in that time is the need to stay well hydrated because you are likely to get a sore throat in the transition period

Having said that you’ve gone straight for a rebuildable tank, coil size, type and positioning makes a big difference to the experience you get from it. 0.15 ohm is bang on where I try to build a dual coil and sounds like the wattage is ok as well (50-80W is fairly normal for dual coils)...if you aren’t getting on with the coils try a different pair, also adjust the airflow to your liking on the draw. Just remember the tighter the draw the less wattage you need.

Wicking is also key for flavour - do you feel like you are getting dry hits? Is the vape fairly moist on the tongue throughout chain vaping?

If after the areas above are covered and you still think the vape is pants in a few weeks, then the Zeus DC might just not be for you. Top airflow atomisers aren’t known for top flavour performers although they have benefits in other areas (lack of leaking being the main pro)

You will need more than two batteries for sure (VTC6 cells are solid so get some more when you get the chance) charge one set whilst using the others. I’d say get another 4 that way you’ll have plenty to cycle through.

In terms of charging; the charger should be used ideally from mains power, you can use a jack and another power source if the charger supports it (not all do)...you should be able to use on board charging via usb for the mod as well, although personally I use an external charger where possible (but if you need to whilst waiting to buy more batteries you should be fine, just don’t leave it overnight unnatended)

In terms of juice going down quick that’s the price you pay for dual coils I’m afraid (or indeed a lot of the big coil sub ohm tanks using pre made coils I.e smok beast tanks) ...only way around this is go for a single coil tank with lower wattage or a mouth to lung set up (tootle puffer). The quicker you can get to mixing your own juices the cheaper this becomes for you though.

In terms of tips ...have a search for ideal coil positioning and wicking for the Zeus to start with, also experiment with different flavours, this could be a factor in the taste area. In addition with premium juice your going to have to re-wick often due to the high sugar content and it gunking the coils, so it’s worth looking into how to clean the Zeus and re-use the coils it came with

@KingPin!
Thank you for your instant reply. To be honest my friend has been vaping for a while and he was the one to make the build. I am not experiencing any dry hits and the taste for other people "smells okay". As for the dual coil being a juice monster. I was told that I can build one coil with my zeus diagonally, if so will this make it any different? Again thank you for your instant reply and info. Happy to join the underground forums.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@KingPin!
Thank you for your instant reply. To be honest my friend has been vaping for a while and he was the one to make the build. I am not experiencing any dry hits and the taste for other people "smells okay". As for the dual coil being a juice monster. I was told that I can build one coil with my zeus diagonally, if so will this make it any different? Again thank you for your instant reply and info. Happy to join the underground forums.

No probs happy to help :)

You can run a single coil but you’ll need it to be bigger I expect to offset the fact its replacing dual coils (really this tank is designed for two)

With that coil being bigger it’ll still chug through the juice quite quickly as there’s a fair amount cotton still soaking up the juice ...you might notice a slight reduction though for sure ...but with it probably a further drop in flavour :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@KingPin!
Thank you again for your response and help. Will surely try to regulate my puffs throughout the day. I can never leave it off my hands haha.

That’s normal as well haha don’t worry when I first started vaping I was chaining for hours just to beat back the temptation to smoke...do what ya gotta do there is no one right way to beat this matey, it’s what works for you :)

Over time that chaining need wears off ;) just watch out for too much nicotine from it ....if you are getting spinny, cold sweats, headaches, heart palpitations etc its advisable to cut back on the nic level a bit

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Dear all,

I'd appreciate it if you take the time to read my post and reply with some info that will help me throughout my vaping experience. I am a new vape user. I got me a Voopoo Drag, a dual zeus RTA, 2 sony vtc 6 batteries , and an Efest k2 slim charger. I think I have a question on each of these devices so I will name em out as points.

1. I used the two coils that came up with the zeus rta, the drag reads em both at 0.15 ohms. Is this any good for flavor because I ain't getting any flavor. I am vaping at 50watts max to preserve batteries, which brings us to my second question.

2. I can smoke with the two batteries for ~6 hours, I am (or was) a heavy smoker for 10 years and it has been 2 days since I smoked any cigarettes, but I have a feeling two batteries won't help me quit. Unfortunately ,I can't buy more now . So the question is : Is it okay to charge the batteries through the efest charger plugged into a power bank?

Last but not least, any additional tips will help a man quit a very bad smoking habit <3.

Hi and Welcome!
Wow that is beginner hardware? You'd really hate to know what I used to quit my 30+ year cigarette habit almost 4 years ago- none of this great gear when I quit! Remember you need to use some Will Power too, you need to really want to quit as ecigs help, but I needed much Will Power too!
Yes the High watts and low resistance coils will chug down the juice.
Many affordable juice companies out there like the SauceLA and Om Vapors- many sales at $7.00 for 120ml of juice. I wait for 75% off sales and stock up.
Check out reviews on You Tube for your tank, they will walk you through how to coil and wick. Easier to watch than explain.
Yes extra batteries are important, so that you have fresh ready charged batteries to swap out while charging the others. What are you going to vape while your batteries are charging if you don't have a spare set?
Back ups are important- maybe a pod system like the Joyetech Penguin comes in handy and works great, not expensive and easy to use.
It gives you something to use when your tank needs new coils and wicking and or charging your batteries.
Spare tanks and mods are needed to keep from using cigarettes as your back up plan. There are many sales, just keep an eye out for good affordable gear for your back ups.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU and congrats on quitting the stinkies. Looks like you have been sorted out on your questions, but will add a couple little things.

Do not worry about how much you are consuming in e-juice right now, your body will let you know when you have had enough and/or too much. The important thing is to get you some distance from the cigs.

It also sounds like you have a pretty good setup for success and if you find yourself getting discouraged with being a new builder do not hesitate to walk into a vape shop and get an atomizer that takes cartridges to run in parallel with the learning you are going to be doing presently. This will take away that excuse to smoke if you find you are having issues with a build or cant seem to get wicking right that day.

Good luck, we are cheering for you.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome VAPENERD. Congrats on making the switch. You will be chain-vaping for some time while your brain and body adjust to a different nic delivery system. I would advise looking into getting a second atty, maybe a single coil rta like the OBS Crius 2 or a drop in coil subtank like the Kanger Toptank, flavor is good and the coils are budget friendly.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In response to your questions:

It's good for clouds, not so much for flavor. The way I understand, higher ohms give more flavor, but you might want to check with someone else on that because I'm not sure about the scientifics behind it. However, here's something else to keep in mind: I mix my own juices, and the VG (Vegetable Glycerine) content in a juice really dillutes the flavor, but it gives thicker clouds. So what I would suggest as a first step is to try a juice with a lower VG content and a higher PG (Propylene Glycol) content. You should get a stronger flavor that way, but at the cost of a stronger throat hit. The key is to balance both ingredients to the point where you're getting a good level of flavor (for your personal tastes), but it's not harsh on your throat. For example, I'm perfectly fine with an 80VG/20PG, but then again I'm more of a cloud chaser. My mom is a 70VG/30PG. My girlfriend will only smoke 50/50s. It all depends on personal preference.

That's actually the recommended charging method. People will tell you never to charge through the USB port and I'm inclined to agree, seeing as I've seen firsthand what can happen to the USB port when I tried charging through the USB port on my Hohm Slice. Not sure if that's what killed the USB port or not, but it's something to think about. Only exception is those mods that have the batteries built in. Those are designed for charging through the USB port. The port on other mods is for upgrading the firmware.

Keep in mind you're just coming off the cigarettes. It's normal for you to get light "nicotine withdrawals" I guess they could be called for the first few weeks. In time, hopefully, you'll go down on the juice usage and the nicotine level, but I've found it really depends on the person.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
additional tips...well vaping is no magic bullet to kick smoking...it is not the be all end all...it may take you time even years of using both vaping and smoking to finally kick smoking....so give yourself a break..expect bumps in the road..expect your experince may not be the same as the next persons...use vaping along with other methods to kick smoking.make vaping interesting...the more you enjoy playing with it the less likely it is for you to reach for a cigarette...and pat yourself on the back for getting this far, don't give up keep your eye on the prize and enjoy the process as best you can.

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
Don't worry about your juice intake - i vape 5-15ml a day of 3, 4 or 6mg/ml liquid depending on my mood and stress levels, and i've been vaping for 9 months. I still smoke a cigarette here and there, but it's 5-6 a month not 10-15 a day. That's an improvement that i'm definitely feeling in my lungs. Especially since you are just starting with it, a high powered mod like that will guzzle a lot of juice. As long as you aren't feeling sick, do not worry about it.

Since you are vaping at only 50 watts in regular wattage mode on such a big atomizer (you should really ask your friend if he can make you some coils that support temperature control), maybe you need higher resistance or tighter wound coils to get more flavor. I used an Aspire Cleito on 40-60W with the factory coils, but now i am leaving the power to the maximum my mod supports (80W), since i have rebuilt my atomizer with a 0.45 ohm coil using 3 strands of SS316 0.35mm wire, and run it in temperature control mode. Depending how hard i draw on it, it settles between 20 and 45W after the coil gets hot, but there is always the initial 80W spike, it just takes too long to heat up on anything less than 70.

Since you have bought an atomizer designed to be rebuildable and a vape with a DNA chip, you should ask your friend to make you some nice coils to take advantage of temperature control mode. The Cleito i use was not designed to be rebuildable, but the SS316 coil that has been released for it seems to be out of stock everywhere, and i really wanted to use temp control. Curiosity got the best of me one day and i managed to rebuild something that wasn't meant to be rebuildable :D, see here. It will be much easier for you.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
HI, and welcome to VU.
SO first thing I did was go to the website and look up your tank kit. The coils look like decent flavor coils, though I can't see exactly which build, alien possibly? Either way, they are flavor coils, so you are good there.
Next, your kit came with a 510 adapter and 510 drip tip (the smaller ones) Use those, it will improve flavor and also reduce air flow. The coils that came with the tank look like alien coils? Which are flavor coils, so should be fine.

Have your friend build you 2x 28ga kanthal core, fused clapton. Kanthal uses less power than NiChrome and far less than stainless steel. I prefer to wrap my claptons with stainless steel because it transfers heat faster (conductive) rather than kanthal or nichrome wraps (resistance).

Also, cut the airflow on your tank to about half, and drop your power down to about 25w. Try that, and gradually increase the power until you get what seems best to you.
a 30/70 pg/vg ejuice would also deliver a bit more flavor than a 20/80 would. PG carries the flavor a bit better than VG.. IMO anyway.

If you don't mind dripping, a Tsunami is about the best RDA I have tried for flavor. Others have other preferences according to what they have tried, but Tsunami is usually among the list of favorites.

Bonus info: You might also want to get your friend to show you how to clean (dry burn) your coils and replace a wick. Coils = $2 each or more, cotton wick material is fractions of pennies per use. I can generally dry burn and rewick my coils 5 to 7 times before I have to change them.

You didn't say what mg/ml juice you use. Try increasing that by 3mg/ml. So if you use 3mg/ml, try 6mg/ml... etc. This will deliver more nicotine and should reduce your vaping. You start to feel dizzzy, you have to stop, right?
THE NUMBER 1 & 2 MOST IMPORTANT FACTORS..... ejuice is better for you and cheaper than cigarettes! I vape about 120ml per week ($35.00) vs 7 packs of smokes at $17.00 per.. (brand name) (cheapies were about $8 per pack when I quit)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Don't worry about your juice intake - i vape 5-15ml a day of 3, 4 or 6mg/ml liquid depending on my mood and stress levels, and i've been vaping for 9 months. I still smoke a cigarette here and there, but it's 5-6 a month not 10-15 a day. That's an improvement that i'm definitely feeling in my lungs. Especially since you are just starting with it, a high powered mod like that will guzzle a lot of juice. As long as you aren't feeling sick, do not worry about it.

Since you are vaping at only 50 watts in regular wattage mode on such a big atomizer (you should really ask your friend if he can make you some coils that support temperature control), maybe you need higher resistance or tighter wound coils to get more flavor. I used an Aspire Cleito on 40-60W with the factory coils, but now i am leaving the power to the maximum my mod supports (80W), since i have rebuilt my atomizer with a 0.45 ohm coil using 3 strands of SS316 0.35mm wire, and run it in temperature control mode. Depending how hard i draw on it, it settles between 20 and 45W after the coil gets hot, but there is always the initial 80W spike, it just takes too long to heat up on anything less than 70.

Since you have bought an atomizer designed to be rebuildable and a vape with a DNA chip, you should ask your friend to make you some nice coils to take advantage of temperature control mode. The Cleito i use was not designed to be rebuildable, but the SS316 coil that has been released for it seems to be out of stock everywhere, and i really wanted to use temp control. Curiosity got the best of me one day and i managed to rebuild something that wasn't meant to be rebuildable :D, see here. It will be much easier for you.

Great advice generally there :)

Just an FYI - the VooPoo uses the proprietary Gene chip, it is most definitely not DNA

Also, temperature control is pretty wonky in nonDNA chips, and it kinda fidgety and unreliable for most beginners (some do just fine but wattage is easier)

Ramp up time on coils will depend a lot of the mod's board and the type of coils used and the type of wire. The gene chip does a very good ramp up on most wires in the simple wattage mode

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
Also, cut the airflow on your tank to about half, and drop your power down to about 25w. Try that, and gradually increase the power until you get what seems best to you.

This is very good advice. It's funny - i always do that when i let a friend try vaping on my mod, but i did not think of mentioning it.

Kingyd

Member For 1 Year
Dear all,

The sauce la has a deal on there house juice just got 240 mls for 14 bucks with the code (BesteJuiceEver) I'd recommend xxx and Capone also they throw in a free bottle with every order

VU Sponsors