Become a Patron!

Help a newbie out on his first setup

short background, dont smoke cigarettes, just getting into vaping for the fun of it, pick up a new hobby because it sounds interesting. a couple of my friends are kind of into it so have tried theirs before.

Pretty set on the vamo v5, but i was wondering if i should buy the kit so it would be easier? or should i buy the tank and batteries seperate? i cant decide on what tank to go with, and do i need to buy batteries and a battery charger? or can i charge the batteries when they are in the device? im trying to get a lot of vapor without having to go too expensive.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey wrb, welcome to VU!

I can give you a little bit of advice based on my own experiences. If you're looking for a really solid setup to get started on the Vamo is not going to cut it. I have the 20W version and it's just collecting dust in my vaping box. I'd suggest the iStick 50W and a Kanger Subtank Mini. You can get both for ~$75-80 and (besides juice) that will be all you need to get started! No batteries or chargers to buy, and the subtank uses prebuilt coils (also has a rebuildable deck you can use later when you want to play around with something like that) which makes it super simple to set up.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are a lot of options out there wrbvapes , Do some homework do some looking and reading about some of the new VV mods 30 w and up, Welcome to VU, Glad you joined us:)

ameripunx07

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey wrb, welcome to VU!

I can give you a little bit of advice based on my own experiences. If you're looking for a really solid setup to get started on the Vamo is not going to cut it. I have the 20W version and it's just collecting dust in my vaping box. I'd suggest the iStick 50W and a Kanger Subtank Mini. You can get both for ~$75-80 and (besides juice) that will be all you need to get started! No batteries or chargers to buy, and the subtank uses prebuilt coils (also has a rebuildable deck you can use later when you want to play around with something like that) which makes it super simple to set up.
That was hoping too be my exact recombination! You're obviously awesome!

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There you go....
BIGBOYVAPER

Attachments

• eGO-C Twist(11).jpg
    eGO-C Twist(11).jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 25

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're just going to vape 0mg for fun once in a while, an iStick 30 and Subtank should be all you'l ever need.

If you're not already a smoker, please don't become one and please don't use any juice with nicotine in it - it's more likely to get you sick than give you any kind of "buzz."

ameripunx07

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started out with an istick 20 and the aspire nautilus mini.. Quickly outgrew that and now have aspire cf with Arctic tank.. And a istick 30 with the kanger mini.. Both kick ass and I'm pretty happy there as a guy just trying to quit smoking.. However.. It's become a hobby and that's awesome too g

dankrips

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
+1 for the iStick 50w and subtank mini.

Awesome setup with plenty of room to grow.

thanks everyone for the quick replies! the istick 50 looks awesome, i am probably going to go with that! havnt decided on the tank yet though, still looking around

Roguexx

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sub tanks are good. Atlantis work well with Istick. What I have. Been hearing about arctic

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would suggest the Eleaf MELO as a good starting point. very similar to the Atlantis, and the price point is good. marry that up with the iStick and you should be good. Be careful delving into the subtank world...it'll suck you and your wallet in rather quickly.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
its going to be expensive, there is no way around that

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recommend learning to play a Tuba. It will build your lungs to the point of winning cloud chasing events hands down. The Atty .22 with a Kanger K Box. will do. 40.00 is a reasonable amount.
I have over 400.00 in it, but I'm a Hobbyist/Fiend/Cloud Chaser. :cool:

Not Sure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
id say a sigelei 50 vr2 and a kanger subtank. comes with prebuilt coils to start and an rba section to practice on. i dont have a kanger tank, only suggest it from the good reviews its had and it comes with the rba deck plus the prebuilts. out of all my batteries, id say im happiest with the samsung 25 r's and the lg he2's id say all that plus a good charger would total you around $150

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There you go....
BIGBOYVAPER
I'm sorry, but I had to "like" this because my first thought of the OP was "How old are you?" I personally don't want to encourage anyone to develop any habits that could lead to nicotine consumption as a "next level" just because his friends are doing it. Just the "mama" in me, I guess.
If he's of age, of course he can do as he pleases but vapers get a bad enough rep as it is. If he's determined to smoke "something ", vaping is a better alternative, of course. But I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to take it up just to run with the crowd. Just my opinion, don't mean to offend.

Not Sure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
he did say "pick up a new hobby" and tried it and liked it...

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I realize that, I just have a hard time grasping a new "hobby" as inhaling something. Vaping, for most of us here, is a means to stop smoking and better our health. Had we never smoked to begin with, it would likely not be necessary. The "hobby" part for a lot of us comes in collecting mods, atties, clearos, DIY supplies, etc, not as though we just woke up one day and said to ourselves "Hey, let's inhale something, I need a new interest."
If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but that's just how I see this.

Not Sure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I realize that, I just have a hard time grasping a new "hobby" as inhaling something. Vaping, for most of us here, is a means to stop smoking and better our health. Had we never smoked to begin with, it would likely not be necessary. The "hobby" part for a lot of us comes in collecting mods, atties, clearos, DIY supplies, etc, not as though we just woke up one day and said to ourselves "Hey, let's inhale something, I need a new interest."
If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, but that's just how I see this.
i see the point, not trying to argue. my cousin got me into vaping. i was a smoker, he never smoked cigarettes. he vapes 0 mg. he makes flavors and contributes his creations to b&m's. had he not picked up the new hobby, (again he never smoked) i wouldve never realized vaping was more than "blu" e-cigs etc. which is why i was never interested in it before, b/c those "e-cigs" were atrocious. but i see your concern

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're just going to vape 0mg for fun once in a while, an iStick 30 and Subtank should be all you'l ever need.

If you're not already a smoker, please don't become one and please don't use any juice with nicotine in it - it's more likely to get you sick than give you any kind of "buzz."
VERY VERY good advice....I second that....go with a subtanki of sorts as mentioned above with a decent watt box mod. If it was me in your shoes I would prob go with the Kanger subtank mini and either the Istick or clouper mini. You are off to good start by coming here, ask away with any question someone will help you out. If you get in a jam feel free to pm me with any questions...

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i see the point, not trying to argue. my cousin got me into vaping. i was a smoker, he never smoked cigarettes. he vapes 0 mg. he makes flavors and contributes his creations to b&m's. had he not picked up the new hobby, (again he never smoked) i wouldve never realized vaping was more than "blu" e-cigs etc. which is why i was never interested in it before, b/c those "e-cigs" were atrocious. but i see your concern
I'm glad you discovered it and certainly glad you're here. I only wish it had been an option for me many years ago. This is the best thing a smoker can do, especially if they're young, before any damage can be done. ;)

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I couldn't imagine where I would be if I haven't found vaping, it's done more than quitting smokes for me.....FOR SURE....

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes! i wish it existed about 20 years ago.. i could probably run a little longer lol
Them "Butts" kicked My butt. My air is 97% now. If you understand me, I damn near died from lack of air. I vape my ass off, just gets better. Oh, all you think about when you think you will be dead in under 5 minutes is stopping that from happening.

so im about to order off of myvaporstore, an istick 50w + kanger subtank mini, and im trying to decide on juice, can some one give me a quick run down of a juice i should get, im looking at a vanilla one that is 100% vg, does it matter if i go 100%? or should i go with a different ratio? 50/50 etc?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
100% VG is best for drippers! You really need no more than 80% VG in a subtank (I use 50/50)

I recommend learning to play a Tuba. It will build your lungs to the point of winning cloud chasing events hands down. The Atty .22 with a Kanger K Box. will do. 40.00 is a reasonable amount.
I have over 400.00 in it, but I'm a Hobbyist/Fiend/Cloud Chaser. :cool:
What's an Atty .22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just received my istick 50w with subtank nano.

its on the charger right now, so should i clean out the subtank? iv heard of people cleaning it out because its super dirty out of factory? i read the sticky and it kind of just says to blow it out

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
just received my istick 50w with subtank nano.

its on the charger right now, so should i clean out the subtank? iv heard of people cleaning it out because its super dirty out of factory? i read the sticky and it kind of just says to blow it out
Yeah you should at least rinse it out real good.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He will vape, I know it. And when He has the perfect Vape, He will look to the sky & say, Fuckin' A. Stinkys don't compare with this!

Hey wrb, welcome to VU!

WHY is the Vamo "not going to cut it"?!?

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
WHY is the Vamo "not going to cut it"?!?

It can, but from what the OP was asking it sounded like he was looking for something that he could get some clouds off of. For a higher ohm device like the protanks/nautilus etc.... the Vamo works great but you're not going to get the volume of vape that you can get off a higher wattage device with a new generation atomizer. Just my .02 based off my own experience. Some people still love their Vamos and I'm not knocking em, I still pull mine out once in a while but I run most all of my tanks/drippers at 35-50W so it's not something I use often.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All my Vamos max out at 15 watts and are therefore just about useless for how I vape no, but there are newer ones that push as much as 60 watts that could be useful if that's the form factor you're looking for.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All my Vamos max out at 15 watts and are therefore just about useless for how I vape no, but there are newer ones that push as much as 60 watts that could be useful if that's the form factor you're looking for.
I swung my mighty Visa card & said, Vamo, I'll call you. The Knight in Brown shall provide me with a 150 watt device from the land of ebay. (might be in Amazon box) and it was good. :cool:

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just like a few said. And what I tell people I know. Just get a i stick 30 or 50 watt and a kanger mini. Can't go wrong with a beginner setup like that.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just like a few said. And what I tell people I know. Just get a i stick 30 or 50 watt and a kanger mini. Can't go wrong with a beginner setup like that.
Like everything I have ever bought from Kanger the box is great. If you don't mind changing batteries a lot. It likes juice. Vamo manages it much better, but breaks down faster. I replace the15 watt board for a 50w for $10.00, F.T. Two, 2 18650 battery's are more my style. I make the tube to stack 2 18650's Don't know how long the board will handle the voltage. I'm workin' on it.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors