Become a Patron!

Help a novice find his way

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good day everyone.

Long story short, I'm looking to become more familiar with my preferences regarding mods and tanks, the whole deal. It seems that since so much of this is based on personal taste, the best way to figure out what you like is to buy a few mods and find out for yourself. I come to you all for direction. Any and all advices are welcome.

I currently own a Kangertech Topbox mini and Dripbox 160, along with an iStick 30watt whose tank recently bit the dust. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Dripbox 160 and was looking for something that compared to it, or a possible upgrade to so long as it runs along the same lines. Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I never use the squonker.

I don't cloud chase, but rather find that a good cloud adds to the experience. Also, my price range is...let's say a soft $100 give or take.

Any recommendations for me? With the multitude of mods out there I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good day everyone.

Long story short, I'm looking to become more familiar with my preferences regarding mods and tanks, the whole deal. It seems that since so much of this is based on personal taste, the best way to figure out what you like is to buy a few mods and find out for yourself. I come to you all for direction. Any and all advices are welcome.

I currently own a Kangertech Topbox mini and Dripbox 160, along with an iStick 30watt whose tank recently bit the dust. I'm thoroughly enjoying the Dripbox 160 and was looking for something that compared to it, or a possible upgrade to so long as it runs along the same lines. Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I never use the squonker.

I don't cloud chase, but rather find that a good cloud adds to the experience. Also, my price range is...let's say a soft $100 give or take.

Any recommendations for me? With the multitude of mods out there I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed.

My recommendation if you want to upgrade would be to find a mod you like with one of these 3 boards. FSK, Yihi, or DNA are all great boards. They can be found in many form factors, You don't say what kind of vaper you are. If you like TC vaping or you are looking to get into that then I would definitely look into the 3 I mentioned. All of them excel in the TC arena. Right now some of my personal favorites are the Hohmtech Slice and G2, VT133, and the Ipv5. I'm not saying other mods don't vape well. I'm just saying these are some of my favorites.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ah, understood. I haven't played around with anything TC yet. Only wattage mode. I'm changing out the atomizer in my Topbox tonight. Maybe I'll play with another type of coil.

Concerning what kind of vaper I am, what all does that encompass? I'd like to be more prepared the next time I do this.

gtrpickr

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ah, understood. I haven't played around with anything TC yet. Only wattage mode. I'm changing out the atomizer in my Topbox tonight. Maybe I'll play with another type of coil.

Concerning what kind of vaper I am, what all does that encompass? I'd like to be more prepared the next time I do this.
The "type" of vaper you are can cover abroad spectrum, you have cloud chasers, flavor chasers, drippers, squonkers etc
do you build your own coils? do you like tanks over drippers? do you sub ohm or temp control? etc
I think like Deuces said get a solid mod that can handle different things and go from there.You can usually pick up a good tank or rda for under $30 and even cheaper if you get one used in the classifieds here. There are some really good youtube channels out there with alot of good info on devices.Dont try to rush into something if your not sure about it do some research, if what your doing now is working for you keep doing it and take your time and experiment with some other things to find what you like.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU :)

Switching to a better mod but keeping the same tank and using it it VW won't change your vaping experience much.
I suggest getting better tank to start with.
Either get a good RTA/RDTA if you're using the RBA section of your toptank, or a better sub tank if you prefer to use premade heads.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@gtr, I gotcha.

What I'm doing currently does work for me, and I by no means intend to rush head first into this. It's simply a byproduct of curiosity. I'm not gonna go out and buy ten or twelve of everything. My intent was to expand my horizons and experience some of what else was out there and, in turn, familiarize myself with my options.

In the past couple weeks I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos and spent many an hour digging deep into the Google expertise. I've also been vaping for years, but I never knew the rabbit hole was this deep.

I know it's likely that my responses and questions come across as novice level, but from what I've read everyone eventually suggests getting out there and actually doing it. Well that's what I'm trying to do here, just with a little shove in the right direction.

To answer your questions, I do not currently build my own coils (working towards that, but I've got to get a better grip on the ins and outs before I'll feel brave enough), I prefer sub-ohming, and don't mind either a drip or tank setup but seem to prefer drip. I don't chase clouds but find that a decent cloud adds to the experience. I also directly inhale, but only since I've purchased the two setups I'm using currently.

@night, Understood. The tank section(s) of the forum were likely my next stop. Might have to make my way over there a bit sooner than I thought. Many thanks.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@gtr, I gotcha.

What I'm doing currently does work for me, and I by no means intend to rush head first into this. It's simply a byproduct of curiosity. I'm not gonna go out and buy ten or twelve of everything. My intent was to expand my horizons and experience some of what else was out there and, in turn, familiarize myself with my options.

In the past couple weeks I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos and spent many an hour digging deep into the Google expertise. I've also been vaping for years, but I never knew the rabbit hole was this deep.

I know it's likely that my responses and questions come across as novice level, but from what I've read everyone eventually suggests getting out there and actually doing it. Well that's what I'm trying to do here, just with a little shove in the right direction.

To answer your questions, I do not currently build my own coils (working towards that, but I've got to get a better grip on the ins and outs before I'll feel brave enough), I prefer sub-ohming, and don't mind either a drip or tank setup but seem to prefer drip. I don't chase clouds but find that a decent cloud adds to the experience. I also directly inhale, but only since I've purchased the two setups I'm using currently.

@night, Understood. The tank section(s) of the forum were likely my next stop. Might have to make my way over there a bit sooner than I thought. Many thanks.
From what you've said so far I'd start off slow on the upgrade. I would go with something like an Ipv5 and an Original Crown if you want pre built coils. If you're comfortable mounting your own coils and want an RTA I would look at the Boreas. The set up I'm recommending is simple but effective. That mod with either tank can be had for under $65. Use vapecrawler.com to find the best price. Keep in mind if you do buy that mod you will also need to buy an external charger because there is no on board charging on that mod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
yep the rabbit hole is quite deep lol
there are alot of people here in this forum that are willing to help so dont be afraid to ask wether it comes across as novice or not.
Good luck with your quest and if I can help just let me know.
Lol, I'm still in that rabbit hole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha. Love it.

This is my third rabbit hole after guitars and Japanese cutlery, and I also frequent a couple other forums dealing with both of them so trust me, I understand the struggle. For once I'm the clueless dude asking for advice...ugh...

Thanks for taking the time guys. I'm gonna let this thread run for a day or two, hopefully gain a few more recs and mull over my options. It really seems like if I wanna get the all outta this I've gotta start building my own coils. Full transparency, I'm kinda scared to, even if it's not a difficult concept to grasp.

My 160 Dripbox came with some replacement cotton/coils. Maybe I'll start there.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Forgot to add, I do charge externally. I bought a Nitecore charger from the local vape shop along with five Samsung 25R's that I don't let drop below 1/3 capacity. I read that this was safer.

Also, I'm filing through the net looking for the best spot to purchase some LG HD2's and HB6's to bring my Dripbox to a fuller potential. And to accompany my Xtar VC4 when it shows up.

VU Sponsors