Become a Patron!

Help - Building A Flavorful Mod?

I desperately need help. I want to build the perfect mod that brings out the fullest of flavor.

I'm working with a budget of no more than $200. Could someone recommend me a full build? Including a box, the RDA/tank/etc, wire, and any other recommendations. Extra points if you add "why" you chose the parts you did. Remember, I want flavor.

I've purchased multiple boxes, I've tried tanks, dripping, different wicking material, you name it. I'm over $600 invested, and whenever a friend asks to hit my mod they always say "this doesn't taste right!" And I couldn't agree anymore. It feels bad man!!

I feel like the guys at my local vape shop don't care about my wants, and sell me whatever they can. Hopefully someone here can really help me out! Thanks.

Currently vaping on a reuleaux rx200, a V-God RDA, and 20 gauge wire. My juices tastes terrible :(

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Can't really suggest a mod, cause that's controlling your power, not your flavor. Your flavor will come from your Atty, coils, and flavor percents in the juice, oh and of course your own taste buds. I can recommend a tank though, the freemax fireluke, pretty great flavor and pretty cool designs, them drip tips are something else. Now flavor, you will get more flavor from a RDA as opposed to a tank, according to many others, but I don't know for certain as I haven't used a dripper. One reason for your flavors to be bad could be as simple as it's just bad juice, or you're not steeping it. Can you explain the taste to me? I might know your problem.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
your hardware is fine imo. everyone says the vgod tanks are great, the rx is a solid enough mod. you should focus on your build and maybe your juice. does your juice taste good in your buddys setup? is it a juice you know you like already?

try to find some good quality fused claptons. by that, i mean, get the ones with 36 or higher gauge n80 or 316 wrap wire. skip the ones with ka1 30 or 32g wrap. also, what is your current wire made from? maybe you are one of those people who hates the taste of certain wire...make sure your next wire is something different to make sure.

also make sure your build is glowing properly and evenly before you wick it up. if theres a little hotspot somewhere in there, it can taste funny.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if you want the fullest flavor ..throw away the cotton get some ss mesh and buy a genny.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I desperately need help. I want to build the perfect mod that brings out the fullest of flavor.

I'm working with a budget of no more than $200. Could someone recommend me a full build? Including a box, the RDA/tank/etc, wire, and any other recommendations. Extra points if you add "why" you chose the parts you did. Remember, I want flavor.

I've purchased multiple boxes, I've tried tanks, dripping, different wicking material, you name it. I'm over $600 invested, and whenever a friend asks to hit my mod they always say "this doesn't taste right!" And I couldn't agree anymore. It feels bad man!!

I feel like the guys at my local vape shop don't care about my wants, and sell me whatever they can. Hopefully someone here can really help me out! Thanks.

Currently vaping on a reuleaux rx200, a V-God RDA, and 20 gauge wire. My juices tastes terrible :(

I find my best rda for flavor is Tsunami. Flavor has a lot to do with the coil as well. You want a coil that will trap a lot of juice. A dual core clapton or similar "fancy" coil will do this. I'm guessing that with 20ga wire you are probably just using 20ga simple coil. Use a higher ga wire... 24 or 26 and clapton. The reasons to use high ga wire is A to bring resistance up and save battery power and B I doubt a wrapped 20ga would fit in your atomizer.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As others have stated, a lot depends on personal preferences. Most of the time I vape on a mech. A dual coil aliens build of 27g Nichrome80 / 36g Nichrome80, 3.5 wraps, 2.5mm ID ohms out at .09 ohms... just add an extra wrap if you prefer .11 ohms. Single battery, Sony VTC5A. This is above Mooch's MVA rating for the VTC5A, but that is why you need to make absolutely sure the button doesn't get pressed on accident for a long time. Also, in the event that the button gets stuck, you need to be capable to unscrew the button (or, depending on the design of the mod, unscrew the bottom section or remove the battery door) really fast so that the contact with the battery will be interrupted before anything bad can happen. To learn about battery safety and battery performance is time consuming, and, to learn how to make these coil builds requires some dedication as well as a lot of practice.

In the regulated mod department, PWM mods are another great option to explore. I own two Surric Vapes X-Vault Timeless Edition mods. Vaping at .23 - .25 ohms on these appears to be the sweet spot for me. There is something about the 'feel' of the vapor that is not easy to explain with words, and the flavor production also is top notch. IMO you should have started out by spending your money towards an existing mod that already performs great instead of spending it towards trying to build your own first. Doing that would have given you enough budget left over to find an RDA that satisfies your preference. Even my 'lowly' Reuleaux RX300 with ArcticFox firmware, if using the accompanying NToolbox software to manually edit the power curves and using these power curves for preheat in power mode (very easy to set up, IMO anyway... see my screenshot pic below...) can achieve a LOT better flavor than the vast majority of much more costly regulated mods, as the slower ramp up time of bigger coil builds tends to generally reduce the flavor, which immediately explains why a custom curve preheat works so well especially with these bigger, advanced coil builds like, for example, a staple staggered fused clapton that uses Kanthal frames and Kanthal ribbon wire (see 2nd pic below). On a single alien coil with 28g Nichrome80 cores, 38g Nichrome alien wrap wire, the difference is still very noticeable too at 6.5 wraps, 3.5mm ID, despite there's not a lot of ramp up with such a coil whilst vaping on it at 88 watts.

power curve.jpg ssfc dead rabbit.jpg

VU Sponsors