Become a Patron!

Help burnt taste no matter what coil on new kanger subox mini white edition

Can you help?

• Hey

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Help

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
I need to know what to do it came with 3 different coils and a week later it tastes like its not Burning the juice and it doesn't make that poping sound like it did when I first got it pleaaaseee help me

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Are you not getting flavor and vapor?

What part are you considering the base and sorry I dont know what I am supposed to put for polls and no I get the Vape to but no flavor it just burns the cotton and it doesnt make the popping sound of the liquid like when I first got it

steven7010

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What coil is it u have 3 the small one is for 5w to 15w the other one is 5w to 50w and the other one is a rebuildable coil ?

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
turn it to 25w check the contacts, and try again. Have you tried a different battery?

If its the one coild that u rebuild it might not be wicked right if its the others ones u might need a new coil theres some videos on YouTube that show u the best way to wick the coils
But it doesnt work for any of the 3 and I only have one rebuildable

steven7010

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long you been vaping with the coil
Also when u put juice in the tank did u wet the coil good?

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It seems I'm having similar trouble as of late. I've been rebuilding with a1 26 gauge kanthal doing 5 wraps and wicking it as best as I can after seeing countless videos. For some reason it gives me dry hits no matter what wattage I use it on (20 - 25 but I would prefer around 30)
Nothing I do (less wick, more wick) seems to work properly - I'll be getting an RDA deck soon but will be using my current setup while I'm at work so I really need to get this down path.IMG_20150715_190926.jpg

It seems I'm having similar trouble as of late. I've been rebuilding with a1 26 gauge kanthal doing 5 wraps and wicking it as best as I can after seeing countless videos. For some reason it gives me dry hits no matter what wattage I use it on (20 - 25 but I would prefer around 30)
Nothing I do (less wick, more wick) seems to work properly - I'll be getting an RDA deck soon but will be using my current setup while I'm at work so I really need to get this down path.View attachment 24688
Yeah I just dont understand whats wrong and no one is able to help me :/

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What's the pg/vg ratio? Also, are you priming the coil? Imo, those juice holes are too small. Small liquid inlets don't like high vg.

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's the pg/vg ratio? Also, are you priming the coil? Imo, those juice holes are too small. Small liquid inlets don't like high vg.
uploadfromtaptalk1437020840228.jpg
I thought the holes were a good size... Also, I primarily use 70/30 VG/PG juices and always prime perfectly.
I'm stumped - both of us seem to be having the exact same issue

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Egad! I may have figured it out somewhat.
Listen to the one thing this guy says at 5:32
Tried tucking my wick top down instead of bunching it together any random way and thusfar it seems to be working good. Still can't really vape above 25 watts though and still need to stay around the early twenties for optimal performance but haven't had a dry hit whilst staying within those limitations

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After good cleaning in hot water remember once juice burnt always juice burnt, and replace that with new coil.
Agreed, the nasty burntness leeches back into the tank.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@KayOhBe ...to answer you first because when I gave away my RDA deck to another vapor that managed to break his I only have the OCC heads to rebuild and I started out with the exact same build as you, maybe except for a different ID....and I had the same wicking issues....I vape the stock heads on my VS rDNA40 (kanthal heads, not nickel...I don't have any nickel, temp limiting is not something I am big on, it's a nice toy but it irritates me, but that's for another story another time,) anyways the build would come out to just below .7ish....like .67 or so. And I would feed what felt like almsot too little wick so I would let the wick stick out the holes a bit then cut it figuring it would work just fine...then I would basically flood the coil assembly with eliquid, put it in my tank, wait a few minutes, take a few unpowered primer puffs and and then start vaping....and the first few hits would be awe---sommee! and then....dry hits of doom and I would have to suck on the thing unpowered for several primer puffs again and then I would get a great vape for a few more hits and repeat....all at the amazing high power of about 24.5 watts....

Sound familiar? :) The OCC chambers are a "Bermuda Triangle" or sorts and don't play by the rules so you can't either...if what you're doing solved the problem then great, keep going with it....what I found that I ended up doing that works for me is I pre trim the wick so they are barely long enough to get to the juice inlets...this took a few tries to get the right length. Then I gently take a couple fingers and run them down the length of the wick to make sure all the strands are going the right way as much as possible and then I put a single drop of juice on them and fold them up....just one drop so they will stay together but they aren't soaked enough that you can't fluff them again inside the coil. I fold them up so once I pull them down into the coil I can push it against the roof of the chamber to straighten them back out. Then I take a toothpick or a 20 gauge needle and work them into place so they're still running straight as possible around the juice inlets making them as fluffy as possible in the center...then I poke the center of the damn thing with a needle to make a hole in the center for liquid to rush to the inside as well...I kinda have been working on this and it's more a beta type thing but I started taking a needle to the center of my stock coils and fluffing them and I don't get dry hits at all up to 25 watts....when I've mastered it so it works at 30 without a dry hit I'll make a better "hot to" guide...it's not as hard as it sounds...it's just hard to type out descriptively with out it sounding hard :)

@Xavierrr .... welcome to VU bud :)

Everyone here is doing our best to help you but you need to calm down a bit, and relax...we will get this figured out but we need a little more information and pictures if possible to help explain what's going on with your tank. I will start off by saying that your tank comes with three different coils as you know...they are all different, none of them are the same...

There is a .5 Ohm OCC coil that works good set from 15-25 watts.
There is a 1.2 Ohm OCC coil that works good set from about 10-18 watts.
There is a RBA deck with a pre-wound .5 ohm coil that has much smaller juice inlets and works a little different than the other 2 and your wattage settings may vary but again 25-27 watts is probably the max for that little coil.

Now, if you just screw in any one of these heads and crank the power up to 30 watts or more and start ripping away at these coils they are going to burn out fast, the RDA one you can rewick and possibly save but the other's will have to be rebuilt more than likely.

You say you primed your coil? Did you put a couple drops of juice on each juice port on the sides of the coil and watch them soak in?
Did you put a couple drops into the top of the OCC coil heads or directly onto the RDA coil before you closed it up and watch it soak in to make sure it soaked? Once you screwed your tank together did you let it sit standing up straight for a couple minutes and take a couple unpowered puffs to make sure your coils were completely ready to go the first time you put a new one in?

Did you start your wattage lower and work your way up to a higher wattage to break the coil in or did you just crack 'er up and let 'er rip?

Are there any chips or cracks in the glass of your tank or any small leaks around your o-rings?

I am asking all of these questions because depending on your answer it will help us be able to tell you what's going on with your coils and your tank. In the mean time if you have a vape shop near by I would go down and buy a single .5 ohm coil if they have them and prime it like I described above and then start it off at about 15 watts and work it up to 25 watts and just vape it there for awhile and see how it behaves....again, this will help us and you figure out what is going wrong so you don't have this problem again in the future or can fix it if you do.

We're here to help you bud, we will get to the bottom of this...we just need a little more info :)

KayOhBe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you so much for that excellent informative reply madmonkey! I'll take everything into account and update you on my results when I've concluded them properly(⌒_⌒)

Sent from my CM 12.One using Tapatalk

kpe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am having pretty much the same exact problem. I have done all of the following above mentioned by madmonkey.

Yesterday my vape tasted completely fine. Then during the evening it changed to an awful flavor. I have switched numerous coils, and I even switched to totally different tanks. I have cleaned them out, replaced them with fresh juice. Even cleaned the base.

Both tanks taste like burning trash.

I should note that when I initially got the bad taste, I tried to dry burn the OCC coils just a little bit after wetting them with liquid; I thought it was juice build up on wick. That is when it seemed like the taste was permanent... even after switching coils and everything. At this point, I am wondering if I have somehow damaged the device itself from doing that.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am having pretty much the same exact problem. I have done all of the following above mentioned by madmonkey.

Yesterday my vape tasted completely fine. Then during the evening it changed to an awful flavor. I have switched numerous coils, and I even switched to totally different tanks. I have cleaned them out, replaced them with fresh juice. Even cleaned the base.

Both tanks taste like burning trash.

I should note that when I initially got the bad taste, I tried to dry burn the OCC coils just a little bit after wetting them with liquid; I thought it was juice build up on wick. That is when it seemed like the taste was permanent... even after switching coils and everything. At this point, I am wondering if I have somehow damaged the device itself from doing that.

You shouldn't have damaged the tank itself just by dry burning the coils...the worst that would happen is you burn the coil assembly and need a fresh coil.

What's your VG level in your juice and what is your airflow setting you prefer and how many watts on which resistance coil do you use? I find I have to keep the thing wide open the higher the wattage to avoid burned hits....at 24.5 watts with the airflow open with a full tank it always tries to burn on me a little when I fill the tank up because literally overfill the thing. But once I've taken a few drags off of it and got a little more air in the tank and the pressure equalizes out the thing vapes just fine with no hint of a dry or burnt hit...however, if I were to start with just the two holes open I would get burnt tasting hits till the pressure equalizes out and pray that I just singed my wick and little and not completely ruined it.

The Subtank is kinda picky about how full you fill it, at least the mini that I have is...I can't fill it all the way to the top of the centerpost, I have to stop filling it when the liquid is 1 or 2 mm's from the top. I find that if I put the base on and the tank is so full that liquid is already displaced around the coil assembly I am going to have wicking issues and the thing trying to give me burnt hits for half the tank...but if I fill the liquid so that it's just exactly to the coil assembly when I put the base on before I screw it together I find that it wicks much better with little to no issues.

When I mean by the right level picture this...you've got your tank upside down and you've just sat your base with your coil assembly back onto the tank. You have not started screwing it back on yet, it's just sitting there...the liquid level in the tank is just right so it is almost but not quite touching the top of the upside down coil assembly so when you screw it tight the liquid is just touching the top but not the sides of the coil assembly before you put it back together.

All Bottom coil tanks are both a pressure and gravity fed system, the balence has to be just right for them to wick properly whether it's a protank 1 or evod or a subtank or atlantis or a kayfun or taifun gs....there has to be a perfect balance of liquid and air when you first fill the tank or it will take awhile for the pressure to equalize and feed right.

Also, another thing you can do to help it wick and feed right is before you screw the base back onto the tank close off the airflow completely and screw the tank partway on till it's starting to seal, then open the airflow to the one notch and tighten the rest of the way down, then set the airflow to your desired setting. This will help create a vacuum pressure seal just like the filling from the top method on a Kafun Lite or Kaynfun Lite Plus instead of using the fill port.

Maybe that will help...If it doesn't I am truely sorry, I am trying my best to come up with a way to help you have a better vaping experience :)

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Losing faith with Kanger quickly.
had two of their bases go wonky and short out.

Just like I don't trust their RDA decks for the subtanks because my friends came with stripped out screw holes on the positive and negitive post and he tried to build it and thankfully couldn't trap the wires at all keeping him from having big problems

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just like I don't trust their RDA decks for the subtanks because my friends came with stripped out screw holes on the positive and negitive post and he tried to build it and thankfully couldn't trap the wires at all keeping him from having big problems
This was on personal note two aerotank bases out of box were wonky, started with mild flux of the ohm reading to a short.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had other things to do and just shoved a stocker in there and WOW...damn good . I do have a RBA+ on the way from fastech so I guess its a good thing. I don't know, i might just pick up a pack of coils and just call it a day, no need to reinvent this wheel :)

DD119900-A71F-4122-81E2-6CBD1AFC9FB3-27575-0000066BE0C197D8_zps7br8ugsl.jpg

kpe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe that will help...If it doesn't I am truely sorry, I am trying my best to come up with a way to help you have a better vaping experience :)

Thanks for your input. I have found the solution to my problem from a reddit forum; I hope it works out for other people-

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/30p38z/kanger_occ_coils_constantly_burning/

I don't know how dangerous it is to do that, but it works for me. Sorry if someone already mentioned this trick here already. I am totally relieved.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for your input. I have found the solution to my problem from a reddit forum; I hope it works out for other people-

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/30p38z/kanger_occ_coils_constantly_burning/

I don't know how dangerous it is to do that, but it works for me. Sorry if someone already mentioned this trick here already. I am totally relieved.

I am glad you found something that works for you...it doesn't look dangerous at all as long as you don't displace the coil leads from doing it....doing it gently should be perfectly harmless and if it works for you awesome! Happy Vaping and thanks for posting this as it is a better fix as mine...my way of doing is is kind of the same, I just don't go all the way threw the wick and make it hollow, I just fan the wick and fluff it out part way for fear of flooding the chamber and it leaking down in to the bottom of the tank under the coil. But vaping is all about what works for you not what I think should work for you.

Happy vaping and cheers to a happy ending! :)

VU Sponsors