Become a Patron!

Help! Did I just kill my battery?!

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I couldn't find the battery safety section of the forum but this is kind of an emergency situation. I was putting my vtc5a's on charge and accidentally dropped one in the kitchen sink that was full of soapy water (in the middle of washing dishes). I grabbed it out and wrapped it in a paper towel. But I'm wondering if it's done for, or if I can still use it after letting it dry. I don't want to even attempt anything before I know for sure that it'll be OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheesy79

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I couldn't find the battery safety section of the forum but this is kind of an emergency situation. I was putting my vtc5a's on charge and accidentally dropped one in the kitchen sink that was full of soapy water (in the middle of washing dishes). I grabbed it out and wrapped it in a paper towel. But I'm wondering if it's done for, or if I can still use it after letting it dry. I don't want to even attempt anything before I know for sure that it'll be OK.

You're ok. Let it dry.

ceecee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

If you still see moisture under the wrap after you've given it a couple of days to dry - remove and replace the wrap.

renzyb

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just make sure it's completely dried off first. I'd recommend putting it in a bag of rice to completely dry it for at least overnight first

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I dropped a battery in a glass of wine once recently. Like you probably did, it was out of the wine BEFORE it had time to soak under the wrap. Rinsed it under water and let it dry out. Been probably 50 Charge Cycles and no problems here. YMMV Remember the wrap is extremely tight so it takes a considerable amount of time to get under it.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I dropped a battery in a glass of wine once recently. Like you probably did, it was out of the wine BEFORE it had time to soak under the wrap. Rinsed it under water and let it dry out. Been probably 50 Charge Cycles and no problems here. YMMV Remember the wrap is extremely tight so it takes a considerable amount of time to get under it.

Yeah, as soon as it splashed I was already diving in for it lol. I just didn't know what would happen since this type of battery has those vent holes, as opposed to say AA batteries.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mine fell into a glass of red wine and although I did get it out fast I was going in the side screen door at the time so it did sit for a minute. The Insulator did not even get any soaked in it as I can't tell which one it was in the married set of three.

CashNVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have a few samsung 25Rs and Sony vtc5a that somehow got soaked in ejuice and it's between the wrapper and battery. I let them sit for a week and their still looking wet so just use them lol. they work fine no biggie really. water doesn't have enough ohms to discharge the battery. now if it was full of aluminium or salt were taking 3/4 parts than I could see it exploding after a while from the short. however u had soapy water. just wash it with water dry it well and use it. your fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors