Become a Patron!

Help-DIY Desktop Mod for subohm-No batterries

avpx1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi,
I'm looking to build a mod that I can plug into my wall outlet.
Charging my regulated mods while vaping on them isn’t cutting it for me anymore and I’m ready to remove batteries from the equation while vaping at home.

I plan to build an unregulated mod and power it with a regulated DC power supply.
I have built a few unregulated series and parallel mods but have never attempted to power them from anything other than batterries.

I found some older posts about making desktop mods but they look to be geared for less power hungry setups.

I’m looking to vape at approximately 80 watts, but would enjoy being able to reduce or increase power on the fly.

So I have a few questions for you experts. (See parts, diagram, and pics below).
1. Is my design safe?
2. Does the RDA’s coil resistance have a direct impact on the range of voltage I can use with my proposed power supply?
3. Any concerns with the power supply I’ve chosen?
4. Since the power supply has an integrated fuse, I'm debating whether or not to fuse between the power supply and 510 connector. Any thoughts?

Should be a fun project provided you think it would be a safe vape device.

Parts:

Power Supply: 25 Amp Bench Variable Output Power Supply, 3-15V with Fixed 13.8 Lock Control

The CSI25SW-D is a HIGH POWERED SWITCH MODE DC REGULATED POWER SUPPLY providing high current up to 25 Amp output in a lightweight and compact size. It is suitable for a wide range of uses, such as radio equipment, and it is ideal for high power car stereo equipment. In addition to variable output from 3 to 15VDC, a fixed 13.8VDC can be selected. Overload, Over temperature, and Over voltage protection is standard.

Specifications:

• Input voltage: 110V/60Hz
  • Output voltage:13.8VDC fixed or adjustable voltage between 3.0 and 15.0 volts.
  • Output voltage regulation: < 2%+/-
  • Protection: Over Temperature, Short Circuit, Over Voltage
  • Output current:25A max/ 23 Amp continuous
  • Ripple & Noise: ≤50mVp-p
  • Fuse: 110V:8A
  • Dimensions:220x110x220 mm
  • Weight:2.7kg
Wire: 16GA for everything (Stranded Copper) - or 14GA if you think it is safer.

MOSFET: MOSFT 40V 343A 1.7mOhm 108nC

Resistor: 15k Ohm Resistors - 1/4 Watt - 5% - 15K - soldered to mosfet

Fuse: 15amp hold- 30amp trip(Resettable)

Master On\Off switch: SWITCH ROCKER SPST 6A 125V

Fire Button: SWITCH PUSH SPST-NO 2A 48V

510: Spring-loaded 510 center pin

Box: Hammond enclosure

Below is the mod diagram and pics of the power supply.
Thanks again, and looking forward to your feedback!
Closeup_front.png.jpg Rear.png.jpg passthrough mod.png

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
3 volts is a bit high for some vaping situations.
rarely. 3 volts should be fine. Op seems to know what he's doing but yeah he should be cautious of his build

Hi,
I'm looking to build a mod that I can plug into my wall outlet.
Charging my regulated mods while vaping on them isn’t cutting it for me anymore and I’m ready to remove batteries from the equation while vaping at home.

I plan to build an unregulated mod and power it with a regulated DC power supply.
I have built a few unregulated series and parallel mods but have never attempted to power them from anything other than batterries.

I found some older posts about making desktop mods but they look to be geared for less power hungry setups.

I’m looking to vape at approximately 80 watts, but would enjoy being able to reduce or increase power on the fly.

So I have a few questions for you experts. (See parts, diagram, and pics below).
1. Is my design safe?
2. Does the RDA’s coil resistance have a direct impact on the range of voltage I can use with my proposed power supply?
3. Any concerns with the power supply I’ve chosen?
4. Since the power supply has an integrated fuse, I'm debating whether or not to fuse between the power supply and 510 connector. Any thoughts?

Should be a fun project provided you think it would be a safe vape device.

Parts:

Power Supply: 25 Amp Bench Variable Output Power Supply, 3-15V with Fixed 13.8 Lock Control

The CSI25SW-D is a HIGH POWERED SWITCH MODE DC REGULATED POWER SUPPLY providing high current up to 25 Amp output in a lightweight and compact size. It is suitable for a wide range of uses, such as radio equipment, and it is ideal for high power car stereo equipment. In addition to variable output from 3 to 15VDC, a fixed 13.8VDC can be selected. Overload, Over temperature, and Over voltage protection is standard.

Specifications:

• Input voltage: 110V/60Hz
  • Output voltage:13.8VDC fixed or adjustable voltage between 3.0 and 15.0 volts.
  • Output voltage regulation: < 2%+/-
  • Protection: Over Temperature, Short Circuit, Over Voltage
  • Output current:25A max/ 23 Amp continuous
  • Ripple & Noise: ≤50mVp-p
  • Fuse: 110V:8A
  • Dimensions:220x110x220 mm
  • Weight:2.7kg
Wire: 16GA for everything (Stranded Copper) - or 14GA if you think it is safer.

MOSFET: MOSFT 40V 343A 1.7mOhm 108nC

Resistor: 15k Ohm Resistors - 1/4 Watt - 5% - 15K - soldered to mosfet

Fuse: 15amp hold- 30amp trip(Resettable)

Master On\Off switch: SWITCH ROCKER SPST 6A 125V

Fire Button: SWITCH PUSH SPST-NO 2A 48V

510: Spring-loaded 510 center pin

Box: Hammond enclosure

Below is the mod diagram and pics of the power supply.
Thanks again, and looking forward to your feedback!
View attachment 61992 View attachment 61993 View attachment 61994

Well if you are putting in a 15 amp fuse as you show i would go with 14 guage, you always want the fuse to be the first failure. 16 gauge has a 13 amp rating 14 gauge has an 18 amp rating. If you going to use a 30 amp fuse you'll need 10 guage wire, but that would make no sense if your device only puts out 25 amps. the fuse becomes useless. I'd say go with a single 15 amp inline replaceable fuse, easy to find at any auto parts store. and use 14 guage wire. Also make sure you use a DC fuse, not an AC fuse.

Also I don't know why you would have 2 fuses, a single fuse would be better. Remember this limits your builds to under 15 amps. If you are going to use 3 volts as a baseline and 15 amps as a max, then you should build above .2 ohms on all your builds

Other then that I don't see why it wouldn't work or be safe, personally I wouldn't do it, besides the fact you can only vape when you have a power socket around lol , but if your comfortable and want to make a hobby out of building i'm not going to tell you not to do it. just stay safe

avpx1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks guys, for your thoughts and speedy replies.
Good advice on the single 15 amp fuse and 14 gauge wire, I'll go with that.
I was thinking of running the power supply at 5.5 volts and building to 0.37 ohms.
Should put me just under 15 amps at about 81 watts.

Looking for a sanity check. :)

FYI making the unregulated mod for $35 and the power supply costs ~$80 so should run me about $115 total.
For me it will be absolutely worth it.

Thanks

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks guys, for your thoughts and speedy replies.
Good advice on the single 15 amp fuse and 14 gauge wire, I'll go with that.
I was thinking of running the power supply at 5.5 volts and building to 0.37 ohms.
Should put me just under 15 amps at about 81 watts.

Looking for a sanity check. :)

FYI making the unregulated mod for $35 and the power supply costs ~$80 so should run me about $115 total.
For me it will be absolutely worth it.

Thanks
sounds like a plan. good luck and let me know if you run into any issues or have questions. Would also love to see the finished product when you finish it

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hooked up a DC power supply to a dna200 board once, it worked. Was thinking about going on with it, then stopped caring. I have too many lipos

avpx1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was thinking of using a DNA200 board but I really like the idea of using an unregulated mod as it is simple, pretty easy and inexpensive to make . And we have the FDA trying to block new improvements here in the states so going with unregulated is appealing because there isn't any reliance on a manufactured chip. The power supply I'm looking at seems to be a good fit with plenty of amps and the adjustable voltage should make life easy.
I'm so sick of constantly dealing with batteries while home. Just want to top off and vape without having to worry about battery sag. :)

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
back in the days of cartos i had a piece you could screw on your carto to and it attached through a cord to a usb. at the time it was the coolest shit ever... for me anyway.
still got it...
cb6f62a6f3b7e84f6bcfae8113b36865.jpg

23b231e5869cad5787d33fdcf705e128.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

avpx1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think it's great you still have it. :) And it still works!
I tend to break my USB charge cables regularly, and for a brief period I tried cordless charging with a DNA40 but the charger only lasted 2 months and then crapped out.
Maybe its time to consider windmill power. LOL!

Waffle Baron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
This makes me wonder if the Arizer Extreme Q desktop vaporizer could be converted to a 510 thread instead of using a WIP.

avpx1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't speak to converting the Arizer. I searched a video of it on youtube and it didn't look like something that could easily be converted for vaping. Could maybe use it it like a desktop dripper but that's not something I personally would be interested in.

avpx1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I'll be ordering the parts tomorrow.
Probably will take a week or two for them arrive and then it's time to build.
Excited! :)

Just a thought. You could put a potentiometer in the mod and control the 3 volts that is coming from the power supply. I would run 7-8v from power supply and then adjust the pot on mod if needed. May act like series. I hope this works .I'm very interested in building something like this. I've been looking into ac powered mods for couple months. And this seems like the best way to get the range I want. Good luck

avpx1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys,
Well guess what? I built it......... and IT WORKS GREAT!!!!
So happy with it.
I've been vaping between 70 and 100 watts all day and the device doesn't get hot, no weird smells detected, the power supply is pretty quiet, and basically no hiccups at all. I don't think I can upload videos on this site but below are pictures.
I'm reminded how bad my soldering skills are every time I do something like this but at least I didn't get any iron burns this time, so at least there is some improvement. :)

Enjoy!!!

Internals... The wet looking stuff is clear two part epoxy from home depot used to seal the power lines in the robber grommet and to mount the master on/off switch.
Internals.jpg

The box...
Box.jpg

Power Supply Rear view with power lines. I covered the power lines with a braided expandable sleeve, and soldered in an XT60 connector. This way I can easily add a 10 foot extension. Right now the power line is 5 feet long and more than adequate for vaping in front of my PC.
power supply rear view.jpg

Complete System
System.jpg

Variable voltage and amps.
Adjusting the voltage is easy with the adjustment knob and the current voltage is displayed in the right window all the time.
Amps display while firing the mod in the left window.
Real time monitoring.jpg

Firing on a Limitless XL
Snapshot 1 (10-11-2016 4-42 PM).png

Demo
I made a video demo of it in action but couldn't figure out how to upload it.
Below is the mod firing...
demo firing.png

Thoughts...
I love that the power supply displays the amperage.
There is some voltage drop because of the 5 foot power line, but it's not a big deal because you can just add more voltage on the fly if needed.
I pushed it to 22.5 amps at 5.5 volts with a 0.2 ohm coil and it seemed to be hitting at around 125 watts, so it is plenty powerful for me. I'm pretty sure if I threw in a 0.6 ohm coil it could triple that, but I'm not going to do anything like that.
I very happy with running it on a 0.42 coil at 6 volts. The amps display at 12.6 and it's in the 80 watt range.

Hope you guys like it. I certainly do. :)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hey guys,
Well guess what? I built it......... and IT WORKS GREAT!!!!
So happy with it.
I've been vaping between 70 and 100 watts all day and the device doesn't get hot, no weird smells detected, the power supply is pretty quiet, and basically no hiccups at all. I don't think I can upload videos on this site but below are pictures.
I'm reminded how bad my soldering skills are every time I do something like this but at least I didn't get any iron burns this time, so at least there is some improvement. :)

Enjoy!!!

Internals... The wet looking stuff is clear two part epoxy from home depot used to seal the power lines in the robber grommet and to mount the master on/off switch.
View attachment 63673

The box...
View attachment 63674

Power Supply Rear view with power lines. I covered the power lines with a braided expandable sleeve, and soldered in an XT60 connector. This way I can easily add a 10 foot extension. Right now the power line is 5 feet long and more than adequate for vaping in front of my PC.
View attachment 63675

Complete System
View attachment 63676

Variable voltage and amps.
Adjusting the voltage is easy with the adjustment knob and the current voltage is displayed in the right window all the time.
Amps display while firing the mod in the left window.
View attachment 63683

Firing on a Limitless XL
View attachment 63684

Demo
I made a video demo of it in action but couldn't figure out how to upload it.
Below is the mod firing...
View attachment 63685

Thoughts...
I love that the power supply displays the amperage.
There is some voltage drop because of the 5 foot power line, but it's not a big deal because you can just add more voltage on the fly if needed.
I pushed it to 22.5 amps at 5.5 volts with a 0.2 ohm coil and it seemed to be hitting at around 125 watts, so it is plenty powerful for me. I'm pretty sure if I threw in a 0.6 ohm coil it could triple that, but I'm not going to do anything like that.
I very happy with running it on a 0.42 coil at 6 volts. The amps display at 12.6 and it's in the 80 watt range.

Hope you guys like it. I certainly do. :)
Very nice job

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

avpx1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
SirRichardRear
Thanks in part to your feedback, I decided to go for it.
Take a bow, and thanks again. :)

VU Sponsors