Become a Patron!

Help I'm new to making juice haven't started yet got some questions

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm new haven't made my own juice yet . Been trolling these posts. Went to nic river. Got a ? Vg base nic or Pg base nic? Btw I like max vg juice so should I get Pg base nic or? Do u need at least SOME Pg to help the flavors mix or? Idk lol I want any where from 70/20 vg/Pg to MAX VG For cloud chasing. Is 100% vg do able or is it too thick and the flavors won't mix or something? Please help

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Got a ? Vg base nic or Pg base nic?

For max VG juice, get the vg based nic.

Get both PG and VG (they are both inexpensive) to experiment as to whether or not max VG is for you in your DIY or if you like a little PG for flavor delivery. So you can make a batch of Max VG, a batch of 20/80 and 30/70 (or whatever you want to try) at the same time.

VG is kinda sweet so if you go max VG, be sparing with sweeteners. PG thins juice but helps bring out the other flavors.

Everyone is different, so don't be afraid to experiment and make two or even three batches of the same recipe using various pg/vg ratios to see what you really like.

Most (not all) common flavorings are pg-based. Most of the online calculators ask if each flavoring is pg or vg based, so it is easy to get a pretty accurate ratio.

Good luck!

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Heard like three hours in that and you don't have to steep at all.. anyone used a magnetic stirrer??

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I have one similar but have never used it

While a good mixing is great for the juice - I don't think there is a good substitute for steeping, even heating it up.

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok I'll experiment both. Thanks for your input :)

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So how to mix it? Just measure it all out accordingly and throw it in a bottle or whatever? And glass bottles better than plastic? Or does it matter? I've got a bunch of plastic120ml unicorn bottles laying around

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Either will work fine.

Amber colored bottles are best for long-term storage

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unless you're dripping or using a really wide-open RTA, you probably want some PG in your mix - keep in mind most flavors come in a PG base, so even if you're using a VG-based nic and VG as your only dilutant, you'll still have some PG in there. For example, an all-VG recipe with 10% flavor will still be 10/90, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was a hardcore max-VG guy until I started using tanks with throwaway coils out of laziness, now I'll do 20/80 or 25/75 on my TFV4 and TFV8 tanks to avoid dry hits...

As far as mixing, I've always just used a heat bath for an hour or so to thin the VG out enough to get a good mix - fill your sink with hot tap water, drop your bottles in up to the neck, and shake them every 15 minutes or so until the water cools. If your recipe isn't good after that, let it sit for a week and try it again.

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unless you're dripping or using a really wide-open RTA, you probably want some PG in your mix - keep in mind most flavors come in a PG base, so even if you're using a VG-based nic and VG as your only dilutant, you'll still have some PG in there. For example, an all-VG recipe with 10% flavor will still be 10/90, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was a hardcore max-VG guy until I started using tanks with throwaway coils out of laziness, now I'll do 20/80 or 25/75 on my TFV4 and TFV8 tanks to avoid dry hits...

As far as mixing, I've always just used a heat bath for an hour or so to thin the VG out enough to get a good mix - fill your sink with hot tap water, drop your bottles in up to the neck, and shake them every 15 minutes or so until the water cools. If your recipe isn't good after that, let it sit for a week and try it again.
Ok good info.. so what mg nicotine should I order from nicotine river for mixing? I vape 3mg nicotine and what's size bottle ? I don't want to get too much/ little quantity/ strength

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok good info.. so what mg nicotine should I order from nicotine river for mixing? I vape 3mg nicotine and what's size bottle ? I don't want to get too much/ little quantity/ strength

Buy nic in 100mg/ml strength and calculate how much to mix in, just the same as your DIY flavorings.

It needs attention in handling, but not fear...
Try to mix near a sink, don't drink it, don't play with it and don't get it in your eyes. Easy peasy.
You can go to higher concentrations later if you wish, but 100mg is the place to start.
Makes the calculations pretty bone simple too. :D

You don't say how much juice you go through but if you want Max VG it's probably more than me.

Example:
I use a mere 10ml or so a day, with 5 or 6mg nic.
A 250ml bottle of 100mg/ml nicotine lasts me the better part of a year.

But there are differences in flavor, throat hit... "harshness", between different vendor's nic, so I'd suggest just a 250ml or less to see if you like one (NicRiver is highly recommended though, have a bunch of it myself). I innocently kept looking for "bargains" and ended up buying multiples of that size, but it's available in much smaller sizes to try out.

Stockpiling a decade's worth or more is popular (hell, I accumulated near that almost by accident) but don't let fear of a crackdown push you to load up on something you may not care for. And if you run the numbers you see the nic is a pretty damn cheap component of our DIY juice... in my example, it's probably under $15 a year. Buy a little from a couple three major vendors and see if you have a preference.

eta: considering you want low nic level, and Max "less throat hit" VG, you may want a nic with more throat hit to it. NicRiver or one of the other big names has a specially designed nic to do just that, but as I said... some brands just naturally are. Can't say which myself, so you'll have to see if someone else can guide you to those, if you're interested.

Last edited:

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I probably go through twice as much as you some times almost a 30 ml in a day

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I probably go through twice as much as you some times almost a 30 ml in a day

Well, you can see even a small bottle lasts quite a while.
Read reviews of the vendor's product and order a little from a few to try out.

Then it's "off to the races".
DIY juice making is a seriously deep rabbit hole... enjoy. :D

Wylde_77

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just received all this for free!! My cousin bought it a month ago! I told him I was gonna start making my own juice and he just gave me this!!

Attachments

• IMG_20161208_175350.jpg
    IMG_20161208_175350.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 15

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just received all this for free!! My cousin bought it a month ago! I told him I was gonna start making my own juice and he just gave me this!!

Nice little jackpot, have fun...

VU Sponsors