Become a Patron!

Help IPV4 Problems (Charging board?)

Mixer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
First off Had this mod for a while now. Worked flawlessly until this point. I always use paired Samsung 25 r batteries. And since the issue started I have been running it on a crown tank with the .5 ohm coill heads in wattage mode around 38 watts.

About 1 week ago a red led light came on right above the charging port. I have never used the charging port always charge the batteries in a Nitecore d2 charger. The mod still works but the batteries are coming out at different voltages ie 3.5 v & 2.8v. I have updated the software with the ipv4 120w update. Not sure that's the problem..

When I re read the user manual it says red led indicates charging and green led indicates its charged. So is it safe to assume that the charging board is shorting out? Any one else experience this problem. If this is indeed the problem should I / Can I remove the charging board? And Is it safe to still use it or am I risking internal failure off some kind. Have not opened it up yet but I think that is my next step.... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks...

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like your charging board is shorting out. They should have never put it in the IPV4 in the 1st place. They removed it from the IPV4S. Here's a video showing how to remove it. This is just one of a few different videos dealing with this issue on YouTube. If you don't like this one, just search the Tube for a different one.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Mixer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
thanks for the video. Going to do this tonight after work. Man they really cheeped out on this set-up. kinda frustrating I mean this charging board in its present configuration is dangerous!

Be sure to check your batteries!

Your intelicharger will tell you charging currents, fully charged voltages, etc.

I'm sure the charging board is bad, but make sure it didn't take one, or both, of your batteries with it.

Mixer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Both batteries held a charge off 4.2 v ...I will continue to monitor them over the next couple of charge cycles. But I think I am OK on that front...fingers crossed! What should I look for there was no visable charing/burning. So just uneven performance.? One batterie draning more than the other.?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, just make sure they are discharging relatively evenly. Just don't want to see one come out of the mod at 2.5v and the other 3.5v (I'm exaggerating but I think you know what I'm getting at). Small differences are to be expected. Since they never charged down to the danger zone (under 2.5v iirc), I think you will be fine, but checking your batteries is always a good idea.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Out of abundance of caution I removed my charge boards out of both my IPV4's when it was posted they could short out like in this pic
53c0515b998014671f47f871b393100e.jpg
A simple 5 min job 10 months ago and mods have worked great to this day..
579be45b5546bbff77715ed8637e2340.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mixer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks to every one who contributed,, removed the board successfully. There was no visible damage to the charging board but it was obviously shorting out. Now I have a hole where the charge pin went in. Gonna plug it with some 2 part epoxy tonight just to avoid future water damage or juice seeping in.

Mixer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks to every one who contributed,, removed the board successfully. There was no visible damage to the charging board but it was obviously shorting out. Now I have a hole where the charge pin went in. Gonna plug it with some 2 part epoxy tonight just to avoid future water damage or juice seeping in.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors