Become a Patron!

Help please with orchid v4 build.

What's the best coil with what wire gauge to use to get .7 ohms on the orchid v4?
looking for something with decent ramp up time. I'm using a mech mod with sony vtc 5. thanks

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, I am using a 7/8 wrap of 27 gauge Kanthal on a freaking nail if that helps.

And it is landing me with a dual coil reading of 0.5 ohms.

I am also using the VCT5 batteries in a Sigelei 100 watt mod at 26 watts.

Vapes beautifully!

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With a mech mod and the air flow the orchid has you probably want to be lower than 0.7.

I think 0.6 would be the please everyone range and 0.5 for the I want more cloud crowd. Drill out the air holes and drop down into 0.4 to 0.3 to get closer to dripper clouds.

A 0.6 build would be 26g with 9 wraps on a 2.5mm drill bit or whatever you have. A 2.5mm coil doesn't leave you much room to deal with so you have to be good with coil positioning.
Drop one wrap and you should be about 0.55.

If you want to start at 0.7, use 28g and give it 7~8 wraps on a 2.5 or 8~9 on a 2mm bit.

I prefer a 2.5 coil to keep the wick moist and keep up with chain vaping.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I build mine in 0.19-0.25 range with 24 and 22 gauge wires. Just trying to tinker in a quad setup with 28 gauge.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I guess it depends on whether you want more flavor or bigger clouds. Smoother vape or more throat hit.
Different folks, different strokes. Try a few different builds and see what works best for you.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What would be an ideal setup for flavor? While I like my clouds, flavor is what really appeals to me more these days.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me 0.6 gave great flavor and nice cloudage. Not a fan getting higher than that, lots of air flow gave too cool of a vape.

I have since drilled out the air holes to allow a lower resistance without getting too hot. Below 0.4 flavor drops off too much for what I want but it's all personal preference I guess.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Below 0.4 flavor drops off too much for what I want but it's all personal preference I guess.

I have to agree. I keep mine .4 to .6 these days. Wicked with rayon (thanks again) and the thing just delivers.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hows the rayon working out? Also, tried out the 25g wire? That seems to be my fav for the orchid.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Rayon is great. Actually got a couple friends to give it a shot. I'll probably try the 25 tonight as my coils are starting to lose their awesomeness.

VU Sponsors