Become a Patron!

Help please...

I have been rebuilding my Protank 2 heads for about 2 months now and just recently dropped to 0 nic in a 50/50 ratio. Right now all I do is tank, I dropped from 12nic to 0nic in 3 days and I'm really missing that throat hit that the nic gave me so I drilled out 2 of the 3 pt2 holes. I vape on an MVP Shine and every time I go to hit the bastard the green light starts blinking b4 i get my fill of vapor. Which I'm assuming means my coil is to hot. My build right now is at a 1.7 with 32 gauge, wrapped 4 times into a micro coil. what I need to know is to get a more hardcore vapor production without rushing out to get different juice should I rebuild the coil to a lower ohm or am I fucked with the larger air holes?

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A couple things here, (1) uping the pg for more throat hit. Try 80/20. You do sacrifice some vapor, but gain flavor. (2) larger airholes should keep the coils cooler because they increase the airflow over the coil(s). Larger airholes also increase the amount of vapor produced for the same reason. Just make sure your wicking is keeping up. At 1.7ohms, your device should not be getting hot enough to send it into fault/error mode. The MVP has (I believe) a 10 second drag/fire cut off and the light flashes to let you know it's cutting off and your 10 second drag is done. If you don't want to go back to nic, try a more irritating juice like cinnamon flavors. Hope this helps!

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The only time 've had that happen was when i have a short in the coil. Do you have another head you can try to rebuild to see if it works ant better?

Ok so my MVP isn't shutting itself off I know that i have done that before lolol but the 10 second drag time cut off makes a lot of sense unfortunately. uhgg no matter how irritating it is. I have felt the base of the tank and it is staying a lot cooler than it was before do you think that rebuilding the coil at a lower/higher ohm would help with he vapor production also? because I feel like I am getting more vapor just not ENOUGH lol and I just need this to last until I get my dripper. Also what do you mean by wicking is keeping up?

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also what do you mean by wicking is keeping up?
The different types of wicking material wick at different speeds. Cotton is notorious for giving dry hits if you vape faster than it can absorb the e-liquid. Especially if you have too much cotton in your coil and it strangles the flow through your coil.The higher your pg ratio the thinner the e-liquid is. The higher your vg is the thicker the e-liquid becomes. Hopefully that helps some. Happy Vaping All.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good input Bahas, agreed totally.However Kitty, try rewicking before you rebuild. If the wicking isn't keeping up at a higher ohm, it definitely won't keep up if you rebuild lower. There are only 4 elements to vaping: (1) power, (2) coils, (3) wicks, and (4) juice. If you have a set power source (ie: mechanical mod, eGo, etc...) and a good coil, then the adjustments must be made in the wick or juice. Since juice is expensive (unless you DIY, like I do), then adjusting the amount of wicking material is your best option. The cotton should (when rolled into a long thin length) pass fairly easily through the coil. Remember that cotton expands when wet. So if it's hard to pull through, when it expands, it'll clog the coil up as the coil compresses the cotton. If you still don't get good results, then try rebuilding the coil. You can adjust any or all of the 4 elements, but try adjusting just one element at a time. Otherwise, you'll end up chasing your tail and frustrated! Again, I hope any of this helps!

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Chowder that is probably the best and easiest to understand explanation I have seen. 3 gold stars to you. Somebody sticky it and put it at the top of the new builders section.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Chowder that is probably the best and easiest to understand explanation I have seen. 3 gold stars to you. Somebody sticky it and put it at the top of the new builders section.

Thank you. However, I'm sure there's better out there! I just try to help if/when I can. I'm just glad at least one other got something out of it. My only hope is that it fixes the problem the OP is having. Again, thank you.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Before anybody stickys this, there's one component I didn't mention: (5) AFC- air flow control. With fixed airholes, one has to drill to adjust. Advanced toppers have a started to include AFC systems. Kitty is using fixed airholes that (I believe?) she drilled out. No further adjusting can be done here unless she goes even bigger. I however think this would compound her issues. Thus, it was left out.

Reactions: Ace

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The additive is a 100 percent capsicum blend. The same stuff found in pepper spray. I'd believe that would DEFINITELY INCREASE throat hit and clear your sinuses at the same time! Lol!

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Personally I'd suggest going with a midrange nic level. 12mg to zero is a hell of a drop for most, and a lot of places offer other options somewhere between 12 & zero, with 6 being the most common. Increasing your pg like others have said may help but it may not. I vape only at 0mg, its all I've ever done, but I vape at higher pg because the vg makes my lungs hate me. I have tasted some flavors of juice containing nic, and can say that nothing is going to increase your throat hit the way nic will. You may find more luck with a 9, 6 or 3mg nic juice, rather than fighting to get something out of 0nic that just won't happen no matter how much you tweak your build.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Personally I'd suggest going with a midrange nic level. 12mg to zero is a hell of a drop for most, and a lot of places offer other options somewhere between 12 & zero, with 6 being the most common. Increasing your pg like others have said may help but it may not. I vape only at 0mg, its all I've ever done, but I vape at higher pg because the vg makes my lungs hate me. I have tasted some flavors of juice containing nic, and can say that nothing is going to increase your throat hit the way nic will. You may find more luck with a 9, 6 or 3mg nic juice, rather than fighting to get something out of 0nic that just won't happen no matter how much you tweak your build.

I think the main point is that the OP is trying to get off the nic train, but still enjoys the vaping experience. I sincerely hope she finds the winning combination and does just that! I kick my arse every day for starting dipping in '79 and smoking back in '81. But then again, I wouldn't be vaping now either.

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with kicking the nic habit, but a slower drop from 12mg to 0nic seems to be the better option than giving up entirely because the 0nic isn't giving the same throat hit or other sensations that a nic included juice would. A slower drop is closer to the weaning method suggested for coming off any medication which has been in the body for a long time, whether that drug is a prescription or a drug like nicotine, a slower step down lets the body get used to a lower and lower dose, until the mind is convinced it no longer needs that little extra.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with kicking the nic habit, but a slower drop from 12mg to 0nic seems to be the better option than giving up entirely because the 0nic isn't giving the same throat hit or other sensations that a nic included juice would. A slower drop is closer to the weaning method suggested for coming off any medication which has been in the body for a long time, whether that drug is a prescription or a drug like nicotine, a slower step down lets the body get used to a lower and lower dose, until the mind is convinced it no longer needs that little extra.

Good point!

VapingDemon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is it firing at all, or does it just instantly blink? It may not be the tank but the center pin on the mvp. I have an mvp2 and the center pin would get pressed down at least twice a week it happens when over tighten the tank onto the mvp2. It causes the blinky light effects. And doesn't fire, if you press the two little buttons on the side of the mvp simultaneously and hold them down it will say "non"if this occurs simply take the tank off the mvp use a toothpick or a small screwdriver from like an eye glasses repair kit wedge it under the center pin and gently lift. once done re insert tank try to vape. Let us know if this was the issue.

n103ew

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is it firing at all, or does it just instantly blink? It may not be the tank but the center pin on the mvp. I have an mvp2 and the center pin would get pressed down at least twice a week it happens when over tighten the tank onto the mvp2. It causes the blinky light effects. And doesn't fire, if you press the two little buttons on the side of the mvp simultaneously and hold them down it will say "non"if this occurs simply take the tank off the mvp use a toothpick or a small screwdriver from like an eye glasses repair kit wedge it under the center pin and gently lift. once done re insert tank try to vape. Let us know if this was the issue.

If the above is the case, you also need to make sure there is still an O ring under the pin. It keeps it from going all the way down and making contact with the bottom of the 510 socket. They can degrade and fall apart pretty quickly especially if you take tanks off and put them back on a lot. You can get replacements at Lowe's or Home Depot in the plumbing section 2.50 for a pack of 10. They are 1/4 OD x1/8 ID x1/16. Cant remember the name brand but its a blue package and its the #60 O rings.

Cru

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is kinda why I got in to a habit of letting off my button every few seconds. Plus I feel I almost get a better taste cause it keeps the temp from ever going to far! Just an idea. I don't even thing about it now. I vape low watts and standard res and take 15 or more second hits. But every 3 or 4 secs I just pulse the button.

StrappedKaos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not sure if anyone mentioned but, I add pure grain alcohol to my friends custom blends at a 10% ratio with a little higher pg ratio when not adding nicotine to try and help throat hit. Ever clear seems to work better than vodka or other pga types, plus if using a tank the pga can help thin it out some for better capillary action. Hope this helps some.

VapingDemon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is kinda why I got in to a habit of letting off my button every few seconds. Plus I feel I almost get a better taste cause it keeps the temp from ever going to far! Just an idea. I don't even thing about it now. I vape low watts and standard res and take 15 or more second hits. But every 3 or 4 secs I just pulse the button.

How do you take 15 second hits, when the mvp has a 10 second cut off?

StrappedKaos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
By pulsing the button, if you hold the button down after 10 secs. it cuts off but if you wait 5 secs. then let go and press again while still taking a drag it resets the 10sec. timer.

VapingDemon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I did not know that. I'll have to try that when I get my mvp back I loaned it out.

VapingDemon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Still no word from the op?

VU Sponsors