Become a Patron!

HELP Please

Hey. I'm kind of new to vaping. I have "Smok X Cube Mini" with "SMOK TFV8 Baby Beast Tank".

I was told by a friend that there is a way I build my own coils and get stronger flavor hit, without having to replace my coils every 2-3 days. I'm really not sure if he was talking about a "RBA".

I am having a hard time finding stuff online, mainly because I don't want to order something and it not fit. I'm not exactly rich, thus why I vape and not smoke.

Help would be extremely appreciated.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok lets start with explanations
the atomizer which in your case is the TFV8 Baby beast come in 3 basic types
RDA which means Rebuilable dripping atomizer
RTA which means Rebuildable tank atomizer
and what you have
an atomizer which uses pre made coils but may have a RBA or ReBuildable Atomizer base

RDAs and RTAs do not have premade coils you have to build the coils and wick them yourself
the difference between an rda AND rta is that the RTA has a glass tank section to hold 2-6ml of juice depending on the model and the RBA has no section to hold extra juice so you are constantly resoaking teh cotton in juice every few puffs. This is refered to as dripping

SO what is the point of building your own coils
1. it is cheaper usually
2. premade coils are mass produced so quality varies widely on them and you get duds from time to time
3. a good handmade coil- one you make yourself can out last a premade coil many time sover with proper cleaning and rewicking
4. you can customize your vape

Is there any difference using an RBA section like you have and an RTA or RDA?
In general RBA sections have less room to build in and can be more challenging for some to use then an RTA and RDA but the TFV8 RBA sections are apparently roomier then most from what I read. I have 0 experience on them and mainly use RTAs. But I have heard many experienced and not so experienced builders proclaiming they enjoy using the TFV8 RBA section so you should be ale to as well

What do you need to start building?
wire either kanthal, a mix of kanthal, ni80, or stainless steel
something to wrap the coil on. you can bet specialty ones for this. many use screwdrivers and drill bits for this as well
something to cut wire..wire snips or even toe nail clippers
ceramic tipped tweezers come in quite handy
cotton to wick with
coil ressistance calculator
and most will suggest an ohm reader to test the coils on. some of us use our regulated mods but that can be dangerous if your not careful
Then you will need someone to show you the basics or watch lots of youtube videos and read the forums to gain knowledge

Different types of coils
there are a variety of different types of coils. form the basic single wire micro coil to parallel coils to twisted to braided to clapton to fused clapton to insane stuff
claptons and insane stuff use multiple wires wrapped on themselves are can be quite complicated to make for a first timer
every type of coil can give you more clouds or more flavor or both and require different wattages to shine. Plus depending on number of wraps and inner diameter the wattage needed and the experience will vary

Other options
You can also bought premade coils to go in your rba section. These are 1 of 2 types
Type 1 companies like geek vape and others make mass manufactured coils that you can install and then just need to wick. you can find these all over the place including eBay for usually pretty cheap. These work fine but use lower quality wire then type 2
Type 2 are handmade coils from guys like @raymo2u or from purecoils.com These people hand make each coil to order using only the finest most expensive quality wire. The will build to your specific needs, to your RBA/RTA/RDA, and work with you to figure out what you want even when you have no clue what you want. These are more expensive usually anywhere form $8 a pair to $30 a pair. But these coils if maintained well can last months for some. By maintained well i mean rewicked and cleaned.

Another option is buying the clapton wires and other types premade on spools and just wrapping them yourself...this is what I do and it works for me.

Conclusion
Everything I typed is not the end all be all of coil making.
i just wanted to give you a place to jump off from and get an idea. coil making is actually quite easy once you get into it. It can seem daunting at first and there is some investment. But it is cheaper and usually more gratifying in the end.
Keep searching you tube and reading up on forums to get as much knowledge as possible, and when you are ready jump in and try it.
It can be complicated if you want or simple if you want. Just have fun with it

VU Sponsors