Become a Patron!

Help setting up mod

Bullet0597

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, i have a smok alien 220w with an aspire cleito tank. Figuring out setting it up has me pulling my hair out.

I'm using 0.27 ohm or 0.4 ohm coils, in wattage mode, i get burnt taste BAD on longer hits. I played around and put it in temp control mode, and it's 100000x better, however i was reading that temp control cannot be done on these coils? Just wondering as to why and if it would hurt anything? I have it set to SS at 350F wattage at 030 watts.

I don't want any negative effects, however, in wattage mode, the vaping experiance is terrible, and awesome in temp control. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

stmtpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don’t have the cleato tank and you didn’t mention what wire type is in your coils. A couple things to consider for any prebuilt coils and TC.

TC with the Alien mod only works for wire that is capable. SS, Nickel, Titanium.

Juice PG/VG ratio - If your juice is thicker(higher VG) it might not be wicking fast enough especially on longer hits.

Bullet0597

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The coils are just factory aspires. I think they use clapton/kathanal.

As far as the vg/pg ratio, I'm not sure on that. The stuff i am using doesn't say.

As far as the battery, would it even allow temp control if the coil wasn't able to be temp controlled? I read some will and some wont.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The coils are just factory aspires. I think they use clapton/kathanal.

As far as the vg/pg ratio, I'm not sure on that. The stuff i am using doesn't say.

As far as the battery, would it even allow temp control if the coil wasn't able to be temp controlled? I read some will and some wont.
for the clieto the make 1 coil that is usable in TC mode and that's the SS coil, but some people are saying the newest firmware of the alien ruined TC so if you updated your mod it may not work well. the other coils are kanthal and can't be sued in TC mode. if it's tasting burnt it could be your juice (bad juice or too much VG) as you want to use between a 60/40-80/20 mix. anything higher or "max VG juices" aren't made for tanks. or you could be using too many watts. how many watts are you vaping at?

Bullet0597

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not sure what firmware i have. Just bought the alien a few days ago. As far as the juice, it doesn't seem thick to me. Wattage was on 45 watts. Coil is rated 40-55. In tc it's awesome, which i would think would rule out juice, correct?

When hitting it set on wattage, at 45 watts, if i take a hit any longer than like 1.4 secs, it gets a bad burn taste and flavor isn't there even on shorter hits anywhere near like it is in TC

Bullet0597

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The coils I'm using are the 0.27 ohm that comes with the k4 aspire kit. I origionally had that until the k4 battery died. I then bought the alien and used the aspire tank with it, if that helps as to what coils I'm using.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
do you have a hard preheat on? try turning the preheat off. do you have the air fully open? I sue a clieto with an alien as well and never had such issues

Bullet0597

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hard preheat? I'm guessing that is under strength with the options of soft, normal and hard? I have that set to soft. Have also tried normal. Also, always have the air fully open. My girlfriend has the same setup as well and, same problem

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hard preheat? I'm guessing that is under strength with the options of soft, normal and hard? I have that set to soft. Have also tried normal. Also, always have the air fully open. My girlfriend has the same setup as well and, same problem
maybe a bad batch of coils? Beucase outside of trying to use it in temp mode, doens't sound like you are doing anything wrong. unless it's max VG juice? also if it's already burnt, you can't unburn the coil

Bullet0597

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's the odd thing, too, we both swapped coils and same result. And, we used the same batch of coils on the k4 batteries and they were fine, and still are if we put the tank back on it. Not sure why temp mode is making a difference? Especially if these coils aren't supposed to be temp controlled?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That's the odd thing, too, we both swapped coils and same result. And, we used the same batch of coils on the k4 batteries and they were fine, and still are if we put the tank back on it. Not sure why temp mode is making a difference? Especially if these coils aren't supposed to be temp controlled?
Did you make sure to select new coil when you installed it?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not sure what firmware i have. Just bought the alien a few days ago.

Turn it off then turn it back on. Watch the screen. It will tell you what version software you have. It's probably 1.2.2. Latest version, I believe, is 1.2.11.

Bullet0597

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes. Just tried something with an interesting result...in the settings after going to temp control from watts it asks wattage. In temp control it was set to 30 watts, i set it to 45 watts just like i do in wattage control and it had the burnt hit. Only odd thing is, why would i have to stay at that low wattage for a coil rated 40-55 watts? Maybe trying the 0.2 ohm coils would help and allow me to go higher wattage without burnt taste? Only downside is, i heard the 0.4 ohm coils have much better flavor

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yes. Just tried something with an interesting result...in the settings after going to temp control from watts it asks wattage. In temp control it was set to 30 watts, i set it to 45 watts just like i do in wattage control and it had the burnt hit. Only odd thing is, why would i have to stay at that low wattage for a coil rated 40-55 watts? Maybe trying the 0.2 ohm coils would help and allow me to go higher wattage without burnt taste? Only downside is, i heard the 0.4 ohm coils have much better flavor
you shouldn't i vape those coils at that wattage no problem.

Bullet0597

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Weird. I changed it back to wattage, went to 30 watts, set preheat to normal instead of soft, and it's just like it was in temp control mode. If i go above that though on wattage, longer hits have a bad burnt taste....Definitely something weird going on.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Weird. I changed it back to wattage, went to 30 watts, set preheat to normal instead of soft, and it's just like it was in temp control mode. If i go above that though on wattage, longer hits have a bad burnt taste....Definitely something weird going on.
I think your juice is probably max VG and can't wick well enough in the tank. what juice are you using?

Bullet0597

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I suppose that could make sense. On the k4 there would be the occasional burnt hit but, very rarely.

The juice is bouncing betty. Kind of a camo design with a chick on a bomb on the label lol.

That would suck if that's what it was. I love this juice! :(

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I suppose that could make sense. On the k4 there would be the occasional burnt hit but, very rarely.

The juice is bouncing betty. Kind of a camo design with a chick on a bomb on the label lol.

That would suck if that's what it was. I love this juice! :(
Just looked it up. it's a max VG juice. that's why. Max VG is for drippers. your tank is better with a 70/30 blend

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
He should be able to thin that juice down with a bit of distilled/purified water. Won't need much, I would start out with .5 > 1ml
this^ is an option as well it'll water down the flavor a little though

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
A little bit yes, but if he loves the flavor that much he probably won't really notice it... maybe. o_O
Probably not for a small amount. Max VG could really be anywhere from 90-98% depends on how much he needs to thin. i think he needs to drop to 80 at least to get it to wick good. 70 would be preferable

Bullet0597

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, so, i need to be at about a 70% VG/30%PG mix? Looking at ecblends. May order some flavors to try. Just want to make sure i can go 70 VG. Tried 50/50 in it and the strength of the hit was wayy too harsh. Hoping 30 won't be so harsh. Thanks everyone for all your help btw! This has helped a ton

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ok, so, i need to be at about a 70% VG/30%PG mix? Looking at ecblends. May order some flavors to try. Just want to make sure i can go 70 VG. Tried 50/50 in it and the strength of the hit was wayy too harsh. Hoping 30 won't be so harsh. Thanks everyone for all your help btw! This has helped a ton
Thesaucela.com has great juice at a great price. It's 80/20 though but works fine for me in the clieto and other tanks.

Also that1vape.com u can choose 70/30 and the juice is amazing at a very good price

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vapors hero supplies good juice from mad cow vapes, no sucralose if your allergic to it and great flavors

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors