Become a Patron!
Hello everyone. I recently bought my first ever vape, a SMOK Vape Pen 22. I ordered it from DirectVapor. Everything came in the package fine. Both coils, however, seem to only last me a few days at the MOST. I start getting a horrifically bad burning taste in my throat, almost as if I chucked something up and have the burn still in my throat. I've checked each wick, and they look fine. I'm a vaping noobie, but I made sure to pre-drip each coil thoroughly and let it soak in for at least 10 minutes. Then I did it again, just to be safe, waited another 10 minutes, and finished building it. Once done, I filled it with 0% nic, Dollar E-Juice Club Churros & Ice Cream juice. I let it sit AGAIN for at least 20 minutes, before vaping. Each coil starts vaping perfectly for the first few days (the first one lasted much longer than the second, however.) I've made sure not to drip e-juice or water anywhere it's not supposed to be, and I charge it sufficiently before vaping. I only draw for a maximum of 4 seconds, but usually one 2 seconds at a slow draw. Am I doing something wrong, or did I get some iffy coils? Again, the wick looks fine and I don't imagine I've used it enough to burn out both coils in only 6 days. I don't chain vape, a max of 10 pulls an hour. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU. While not familiar with Churros& Ice Cream it sounds like it has the potential to be a sweet juice with cinnamon. Both of which may be coil cloggers and just causing you to go through them faster. Someone around here will have some experience with your vape device and that juice and can offer some tips.

Welcome to VU. While not familiar with Churros& Ice Cream it sounds like it has the potential to be a sweet juice with cinnamon. Both of which may be coil cloggers and just causing you to go through them faster. Someone around here will have some experience with your vape device and that juice and can offer some tips.
Hmm, good to know. Thanks.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Agree with jwill. After a couple days sweet juices tend to cause a build up on coils. Since I prefer sweeter juices, my remedy is to change the cotton wick every 2 to 3 days and dry burn the coil before installing the new wick. I just heat the coil until it stops smoking, then blow through it. Some go a bit farther and brush with a small wire brush and then rinse.

If you wrap your own coils, you can make them cheap enough that you can just throw them away,. LOL I only dry burn mine because I am to lazy to make the coils every 3 days.

Since I prefer sweeter juices, my remedy is to change the cotton wick every 2 to 3 days and dry burn the coil before installing the new wick
Any way to do this on a prebuilt coil that came with the SMOK Vape Pen 22? Other than changing the wick, would it be beneficial to just buy a 5-pack of coil heads and switch to a fruity/anything not sweet flavor?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Any way to do this on a prebuilt coil that came with the SMOK Vape Pen 22? Other than changing the wick, would it be beneficial to just buy a 5-pack of coil heads and switch to a fruity/anything not sweet flavor?
No idea. That's why I don't use coil heads. Not worth the effort required to even try to replace the wick. However.. coil heads use a lot less power and burn a lot less juice, so they don't tend to gunk up as fast. With coil heads, the main issue is burning the cotton when you A) start vaping for the day or B) after switching to a new coil head... always start off at low wattage and work your way up to give the juice a chance to warm up and wick properly.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

Try poking some pin holes in the cotton. It may help you squeeze a little more mileage out of them. Some people say they rinse the coils out but in my experience by doing so, it makes them shitty and disappointing. A RDA is really going to be your best bet, You can vape mud if you want to and just re wick every so often as required and enjoy.

For purely economical reasons, anything that runs on pre-made coils in my house is a clear liquid only item. If its even mildly tinted it goes in a rebuildable of some sort.

VU Sponsors