Become a Patron!

Help W/ fused clapton ohms.

iShruGs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey guys currently going for my first fused clapton and im having trouble figuring out why my ohms are so low, trying to build for my noisy cricket,

wire im using is 26 n80 core and a 32 kanthal wrap, currently have a 8 wrap at 3mm diameter that is sitting at .25 ohms

a little low for my noisy so i was wondering whats the deal, going for .4 ohms but cant fit anymore wraps in my Rda

iShruGs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
also if i were to do just a regular coil with only the 26 gauge n80 what would be a recommended build for a .4ish dual setup

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nichrome just reads really low compared to kanthal. Helpful for upping power when you're working with parallel, but difficult to balance out for series. You wind-up overpowering any coil you can reasonably fit. Would absolutely recommend you stick to kanthal for series.

The idea with series is to do builds that are a tad aneimic (don't draw as much current for their size.) So wire with really low ohms-per-foot are out. It's just overkill. Use kanthal for your core. For duals, 28 or 26 are ideal. I prefer 28, as it doesn't hold onto as much heat, which can become an issue with the lower gauges.

Play around in Steam Engine for a bit. There are all sorts of builds you can do. Take advantage of the heat flux calculator - go over into the battery tab and see how many watts your target resistance gives you at 8v and plug it in back over in the heat flux calculator before plugging in builds. A .4 gives you 160w @ 8v, so you plug that into the heat flux calculator to see how hot the build will generally be. Very helpful when dealing with series voltage and such. Just keep in mind that if you change the resistance, you have to go back and recalculate the wattage for 8v at that resistance.

I like dual 38/28 kanthal fused claptons a lot. 7 wraps @ 3mm is ~4 ohms. Single cores work nicely too. Something like a dual 40/24 kanthal single-core claptons aren't bad, either. 10 wraps @ 3mm-3.125mm yeilds .45-.5 ohms. You could also try a dual 36/28 kanthal clapton. 8-wraps @ 2.5mm for ~.7-.8. Don't be fooled, it's feisty in smaller, slightly more closed-off rdas.

You have the right idea with claptons. Stick with them on the cricket. You have 4 times the watts per ohm. That's also 4 times the heat. The added inactive mass gives all of the extra heat somewhere to go. Standard coils tend to a. heat up ridiculously too fast, b. heat up impossibly slowly, take up too much space, and hold onto enough heat for you to cook an egg on the face of your mod, and/or c. have major wicking problems. The only way I've found to get around problem c with the really big coils is to up the diameter past 3mm. Sometimes 3.5mm or even 4mm is necessary.

If you must use the nichrome in a standard dual, go really big. 10-12 wraps on that 3mm should get you somewhere nice. No telling how that'll wick. Might have to up the diameter. Really never bothered much with nichrome on series because of how much current it pulls. It's probably workable, just really impractical, imo.

Last edited:

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
lol i had actually missed reading your long ass responses.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

iShruGs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great response zombie thanks alot, ive been recently looking and messing with steam engine but i dont think im understanding how to figure out how to plug in a clapton coil or anything besides a basic round wire build.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lol i had actually missed reading your long ass responses.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Haha, don't worry. It wears off quickly :p

Great response zombie thanks alot, ive been recently looking and messing with steam engine but i dont think im understanding how to figure out how to plug in a clapton coil or anything besides a basic round wire build.
Claptons are more or less the same as round wire. The outer wrap increases the diameter a bit and affects contact in the post, but these are very minor changes to get a usable estimate. Choose the same amount of coils as you have cores. So a single fused clapton would be "dual coil" while a dual fused clapton would be "quad coil."

iShruGs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha, don't worry. It wears off quickly :p

Claptons are more or less the same as round wire. The outer wrap increases the diameter a bit and affects contact in the post, but these are very minor changes to get a usable estimate. Choose the same amount of coils as you have cores. So a single fused clapton would be "dual coil" while a dual fused clapton would be "quad coil."

Great info man thanks so much, just wanna build safe!

iShruGs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ok so using steam engine hah with 26gauge N80 for a target .5 is 19 wraps! so yeah not gonna work but if i bring it down to "dual" coil its only 9 wraps, so maybe a regular clapton will work better for the wire i currently have.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great info man thanks so much, just wanna build safe!
No problemo dude. Indeed, safety is key. But the hard part is getting a safe build to work like you want it to ;)

ok so using steam engine hah with 26gauge N80 for a target .5 is 19 wraps! so yeah not gonna work but if i bring it down to "dual" coil its only 9 wraps, so maybe a regular clapton will work better for the wire i currently have.
Hehe, yep. It's way too much power. Even 24g kanthal is too much for most purposes.

And yes, I think a dual single-core clapton should work. Still gonna be pretty hot, though. Might wanna try 10 or 11 wraps. Maybe go for 3.5mm if you have the tools. Though, now that I think about it, you're using 32g so 9 might be fine... ...don't mind me. <_<

iShruGs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No problemo dude. Indeed, safety is key. But the hard part is getting a safe build to work like you want it to ;)

Hehe, yep. It's way too much power. Even 24g kanthal is too much for most purposes.

And yes, I think a dual single-core clapton should work. Still gonna be pretty hot, though. Might wanna try 10 or 11 wraps. Maybe go for 3.5mm if you have the tools. Though, now that I think about it, you're using 32g so 9 might be fine... ...don't mind me. <_<
yea i have the tools for 3.5 plus itll provide more wicking for such a fast ramp up with this n80 thanks man gonna try and report back.

btw just tried twisting 8 strands of 32 ga kanthal then wrapping that with 32 gauge still came out just a little to low but almost worked lol

iShruGs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
having a little trouble making the claptons becuase i dont have a swivel, any tips for a possible like DIY swivel got lots of stuff around work for this but not a damn swivel lol

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
having a little trouble making the claptons becuase i dont have a swivel, any tips for a possible like DIY swivel got lots of stuff around work for this but not a damn swivel lol
That, I can't help you with. The swivel is the one thing I don't think you can really substitute :/

But you know? Might not be a bad time to try freehanding. It's easy enough with single-cores.

I've already gone on at length about freehanding here and here. Somewhere in the second one, someone posted a video of the general technique. I go into ways that make it so you don't have to hold the spool. All in all, it's pretty simple, but it's kinda like snapping your fingers. Just gotta feel it out, practice, and commit. It's a handy skill to have. Makes you really appreciate swivels sometimes, too... ...heh.

Give it a shot, if yer feeling up to it. It is possible for you to be up and running with the freehand technique before you figure out a swivel alternative.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you don't have a swivel you'll have to the keep the core hanging in the air.
To make the core straight so that it can hang better you can twist it a bit around itself.

iShruGs

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update: I have successfully made a single core Clapton dual coil came out to a perfect .50 for the noisy cricket wicking well and hitting nice a warm, thanks for all the help,

and yes i freehanded it, wasnt as hard as it was with the dual core, alot easier than i thought it would be.

Thanks for all the help ZOMBIE!!

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad it worked out for ya, man. Enjoy that badass series vape!

A good series setup is endgame status. After several years spent vaping on all sorts of things... ... constantly trying the flavors of the month, I found the cricket and never looked back. Master building for a series mod and you can have some of the best high-powered vapes attainable without delving into exotic specialty devices and DIY modding... ...imho and ime.

VU Sponsors