Become a Patron!

Help with building a coil

I have Fuchai 213 with Tvf8 big smoke tank. Ive been building my coil using premade coils, so I just install the two coils and put the cotton. I decided to build my coil but I do not know which wire can help to get what I am looking for. I found 0.4-0.5ohm is the best smoke and test ( I havent try more than that yet and 0.15 or less is too dangerous and the coil get very hot). I use 40w which givs me almost 12A and this is fine for my 10 and 30 A batteries set ( i checked with Fuchai and said it is fine to use my 10A battries with 40w and 0.15Ohms but not going higher than 40w). So what is the best wire awg that can give me two coils with 0.4-0.5ohm total (I use two of 0.6-0.75 ohm premade coils to get 0.4ohm) and wont be big to touch the tank body? I like the vertical coil build as has more cotton and last longer and less leak

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Even better..
https://liionwholesale.com/pages/regulated-mod-calculator
notice at 40w you are pulling 14A from your 10A battery. So what if your mod accidentally gets turned up? Amp draw is based on the wattage the mod is expecting not the coil resistance, in regulated mods. You would be much better off tossing the 10A battery and going with a safer 20A battery, that will handle an accidental increase in wattage.

i checked with Fuchai and said it is fine to use my 10A battries with 40w and 0.15Ohms but not going higher than 40w
You can also stick your head in an alligators mouth and you should be ok.. 9 / 10 times... but...
It only takes once...

Even better..
https://liionwholesale.com/pages/regulated-mod-calculator
notice at 40w you are pulling 14A from your 10A battery. So what if your mod accidentally gets turned up? Amp draw is based on the wattage the mod is expecting not the coil resistance, in regulated mods. You would be much better off tossing the 10A battery and going with a safer 20A battery, that will handle an accidental increase in wattage.

You can also stick your head in an alligators mouth and you should be ok.. 9 / 10 times... but...
It only takes once...
I completely agree with you and I am aware of it. I be sure to check my watts regularly at least once start vaping although I locked my buttons so there is mo chance to go up or down. Also Because I saw some scary explosions pictures (I was going to back cigarettes because of those pictures) I keep monitoring the vape body and tank temperature regardless I am using the10 or 30 amps batteries , like you said no one knows might accidentally something happen, and stop vaping if it is hot. Thanks for the advice man

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks a lot for the welcoming and the link. I saw that today afternoon but I wanted more advices from users, “ask who did it better than asking someone knows about it”. As I see 26 to 30 awg kenthl a is the best for getting higher ohms, less warping and fast ramp up, what do you think?
It really all depends on what you want your coil to do. Remember, on a regulated mod, resistance doesn't really matter. Thinner wires heat up faster, yes. Thicker wires give more cloud, but take more power. 26 ga is a decent core wire or even 28 if you have limited power. 30ga is for really small coils. You could wrap claptons with it, but 32ga or higher would be better for that. That steam engine link will help you pre-build test coils without wasting wire. Your heat flux is the heat the coil will produce at various power levels. Usually you want 280 (cool vape) to 400 mw/mm2 (warm-hot) vape to give an idea how your coils will work at various power levels. Play with wire types and gauges, single and dual core, single or dual coils... and that sort of fun stuff. It is the best way to see which wire type will do what and help you plan for making the coil you want. And you are correct.. higher ga use less power. So a 28ga coil uses less power than a 26ga coil, mainly because there is less coil mass to heat.

It really all depends on what you want your coil to do. Remember, on a regulated mod, resistance doesn't really matter. Thinner wires heat up faster, yes. Thicker wires give more cloud, but take more power. 26 ga is a decent core wire or even 28 if you have limited power. 30ga is for really small coils. You could wrap claptons with it, but 32ga or higher would be better for that. That steam engine link will help you pre-build test coils without wasting wire. Your heat flux is the heat the coil will produce at various power levels. Usually you want 280 (cool vape) to 400 mw/mm2 (warm-hot) vape to give an idea how your coils will work at various power levels. Play with wire types and gauges, single and dual core, single or dual coils... and that sort of fun stuff. It is the best way to see which wire type will do what and help you plan for making the coil you want. And you are correct.. higher ga use less power. So a 28ga coil uses less power than a 26ga coil, mainly because there is less coil mass to heat.
Thanks again for the suggestion of buying different gauges, this is agood idea. I just came to know about the heat fux from you :), never heared about if although watched many videos and read many website. What is The Inner diameter of coil and leg length?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks again for the suggestion of buying different gauges, this is agood idea. I just came to know about the heat fux from you :), never heared about if although watched many videos and read many website. What is The Inner diameter of coil and leg length?

Coil ID depends on a few things.. First the size of your atomizer build deck. Next, your want to build your coils around 4 to 6 wraps or 2x your coil id. I prefer a coil around 3.0mm id core. 6 wraps, but you can adjust that according to your resistance. Say I wanted a pair of 26ga SS core parallel claptons.

(2x 26ga SS) x 2.
I know my mod minimum allowable resistance is 0.10 ohm. I also know SS fluctuates in resistance when heated, so I want around 0.13 ohm to allow for this to avoid "resistance to low" error.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=ss316&p=roundmulti&s=dp&r=0.13&hf=390&str=2&awg=26&id=3.5
= 6 wraps
where as
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=ss316&p=roundmulti&s=dp&r=0.13&hf=390&str=2&awg=26&id=3.0
=7 wraps which might be to wide for the atomizer deck.

However, you also have to allow space in front of the coil so it isn't sitting on the atomizer chimney.

Now.. the SS cores of those coils allow me to use TC but they also need close to 180w power. So in this case, I would be better off with a 28ga SS core wire.

and this is a great example of how building virtual coils on steamengine is a great tool. :)

To be honest, I started coil building after my 2nd week vaping and having burnt 8 coils at $3 each. lol. I bought a kanger toptank mini with mini RBA deck. However, I had to use the 16w pen style battery I had purchased. So my coils were built to run around 12w. Not a big coil.

I started at 19min, since everything before was just building and wicking that RBA
note the mod i am using.. a 16w Vplum.

Before anything, Happy new year.
Wooow thanks a lot man for spending time to respond on my questions. You are awesome, thanks a lot. I attached my batteries sets and my rba. I bought the blue batteries after I stary educating myself about vaping. I start vaping few months ago when I spent a week visiting my friend who she is vaping and convinced me to vape as I used to smok a lot (1 to 2 packs per day for more than 15 years). Still sometimes I miss the cigarettes. I bought futchai 213. I start building my coils almost two months ago, I tried two ways till now, vertical and horizontal way and found vertical way is much better as less leak and would last longer since there is more cotton. I learned do not go with low ohms coils as it is not safe at all so I tried the 0.4-0.5 ohms and found it is way better than 0.15 as long life batteries, more smok and less ramp up time. With 0.15 I need to click the power button for awhile before start vaping while with 0.4 immediately, not sure because of the ohms or because the wire type. Still joiner :) . Last build I did was horizontal way because I noticed the coil with the vertical way might touch the cap since the staircase wire was 6 round and thick so I had to throw the coils and use new coils. Here I decided to build the coil completely by myself to reduce the number of round and get 0.4-0.5 ohms to be in the safe side.

Attachments

• 832DB5E9-6563-4D80-A5BB-AFB9AAA5C543.jpeg
    832DB5E9-6563-4D80-A5BB-AFB9AAA5C543.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 9AA1A6C0-2169-44D1-B036-2EDC74B27782.jpeg
    9AA1A6C0-2169-44D1-B036-2EDC74B27782.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 3
  • CEBA7E5D-1E84-4E94-9F0B-D5E78D522BAE.jpeg
    CEBA7E5D-1E84-4E94-9F0B-D5E78D522BAE.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 3
What would happen if I use only one coil instead of two?
Wooow I just changed my coil which I made yesterday, it was 0.18 and was giving me hard time as batteries drain so fast an away the set still not charged to half, ramp up was very very slow. I used now twisted clapton 0.7 ohm x2 = 0.35ohms, it is super cool as immediate ramp up and slaw batteries drain. Ill check if I can find the wire online

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well first off.. your batteries are crap. the 10A ones.. well we mentioned those.. no higher than 40w.. ever!
the other set.. are a manufacturer rewrap. And are even worse than the 10A. Here is why..
Batteries come in 2 forms. High amps or high run time. example..
20A 3000Mah Longer run time
30A 2000Mah or 30A 1500mah Higher CDR (constant discharge rate)
Note in battery example 1 longer run time means lower CDR and in example 2 Higher amp means shorter run time. This is how it is. Therefore looking at your battery there is no way that cell has 3500mah and 35A. The information on the label is false!!! Most likely, they are actually a 15A 3500mah or 10A 3500mah I say most likely, since I have no way of knowing what the actual cell is under the wrapper, and neither do you. They could be a 20A 3000Mah but there is no way to tell. If you find they don't last long, I would lean toward the 10 or 15A. The higher amps you draw from your mod, the shorter your battery run time. In other words, the only way that manufacturer can sell its batteries is to lie to their customers and exaggerate the cell capacities. Truth be told.. you are probably paying more for the rewrapped garbage batteries than you would for an authentic brand name samsung, sony or lg battery. Now with a regulated mod, you most likely will be ok. But as vapers, "most likely" isn't good enough. We know that nothing is 100% safe so we do what we can to vape as safely as possible. Using trusted brand name batteries is one of the ways we do that.
Now that said.. we recommend ONLY samsung, sony or lg brand name batteries. I use LG HG2 20A 3000Mah batteries in my Segelei Kaos (230w) mod. I usually vape around 115 to 150w.

By the way... with your coils, try 6 wraps instead of 7. This will reduce the mass of your coils, allowing faster ramp up and longer battery life. With regulated mods, the coil resistance doesn't matter as long as it is above the mod minimium and below max. Usually 0.10 ohm low to 3.0 ohm high. Even with a 230w mod, i use 6 wraps and larger inner diameter simply because 6 wraps draw the ejuice better. (have you noticed your wick burning from the middle of your coils? Or breaking in 2 when you change wicks? Maybe yes, maybe not... )

Here is something you might like to look at...
https://www.fasttech.com/products/8014108
Very good flavor and a fairly light coil. The core is flat kanthal which increases surface area but not coil weight. (mass) 3m = 10ft or about 20 coils.
you can purchase a pre-paid visa or mastercard gift card if you don't have a credit card.
Free shipping takes 4 to 6 weeks although I usually go for the next shipping option.. something like $1.75 shipping but I can track the packages, and shipping time is about 10 days.

Well first off.. your batteries are crap. the 10A ones.. well we mentioned those.. no higher than 40w.. ever!
the other set.. are a manufacturer rewrap. And are even worse than the 10A. Here is why..
Batteries come in 2 forms. High amps or high run time. example..
20A 3000Mah Longer run time
30A 2000Mah or 30A 1500mah Higher CDR (constant discharge rate)
Note in battery example 1 longer run time means lower CDR and in example 2 Higher amp means shorter run time. This is how it is. Therefore looking at your battery there is no way that cell has 3500mah and 35A. The information on the label is false!!! Most likely, they are actually a 15A 3500mah or 10A 3500mah I say most likely, since I have no way of knowing what the actual cell is under the wrapper, and neither do you. They could be a 20A 3000Mah but there is no way to tell. If you find they don't last long, I would lean toward the 10 or 15A. The higher amps you draw from your mod, the shorter your battery run time. In other words, the only way that manufacturer can sell its batteries is to lie to their customers and exaggerate the cell capacities. Truth be told.. you are probably paying more for the rewrapped garbage batteries than you would for an authentic brand name samsung, sony or lg battery. Now with a regulated mod, you most likely will be ok. But as vapers, "most likely" isn't good enough. We know that nothing is 100% safe so we do what we can to vape as safely as possible. Using trusted brand name batteries is one of the ways we do that.
Now that said.. we recommend ONLY samsung, sony or lg brand name batteries. I use LG HG2 20A 3000Mah batteries in my Segelei Kaos (230w) mod. I usually vape around 115 to 150w.

By the way... with your coils, try 6 wraps instead of 7. This will reduce the mass of your coils, allowing faster ramp up and longer battery life. With regulated mods, the coil resistance doesn't matter as long as it is above the mod minimium and below max. Usually 0.10 ohm low to 3.0 ohm high. Even with a 230w mod, i use 6 wraps and larger inner diameter simply because 6 wraps draw the ejuice better. (have you noticed your wick burning from the middle of your coils? Or breaking in 2 when you change wicks? Maybe yes, maybe not... )

Here is something you might like to look at...
https://www.fasttech.com/products/8014108
Very good flavor and a fairly light coil. The core is flat kanthal which increases surface area but not coil weight. (mass) 3m = 10ft or about 20 coils.
you can purchase a pre-paid visa or mastercard gift card if you don't have a credit card.
Free shipping takes 4 to 6 weeks although I usually go for the next shipping option.. something like $1.75 shipping but I can track the packages, and shipping time is about 10 days.
Sorry for my delay in response, I was so busy at work almist 13hrs working per day. Thanks a lot for all your help. I havent reach in that deep in batteries, however the blue set is lasting more than the white set and coolder as the white sometime get a little hot so I stop vaping immediately. Yep, we cant know the actual ability of each battery unless we have advance equipment to check, I sow one of these in one of youtube videos.
Thanks a lot for the website, never heard about it, I already made order for 30 super clapton and 30 twisted clapton from gearbest as they have discount and cost me $13.5. After that i will buy your wire and try it. But I think I need 4 warps to be in safe side and the coil do not touch the tope of the tank. The one which I have is 4 warps and the ine which I bought is 5, hope it will fit. Next time I will get your advice before I buy any batteries if you do not mind :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Sorry for my delay in response, I was so busy at work almist 13hrs working per day. Thanks a lot for all your help. I havent reach in that deep in batteries, however the blue set is lasting more than the white set and coolder as the white sometime get a little hot so I stop vaping immediately. Yep, we cant know the actual ability of each battery unless we have advance equipment to check, I sow one of these in one of youtube videos.
Thanks a lot for the website, never heard about it, I already made order for 30 super clapton and 30 twisted clapton from gearbest as they have discount and cost me $13.5. After that i will buy your wire and try it. But I think I need 4 warps to be in safe side and the coil do not touch the tope of the tank. The one which I have is 4 warps and the ine which I bought is 5, hope it will fit. Next time I will get your advice before I buy any batteries if you do not mind :)
use the coil building app at steamengine (link above) so you KNOW how many wraps to use. Thinking you need.. is not as good as knowing you need. :) safety first!

VU Sponsors