Become a Patron!

Help With Coil Setup

Cozymods

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

What would be the best coil setup for 26g kanthal a1? i have a Dead Rabbit RDA, and my mod is the Smoant Charon, with Imren 18650 3200mah 40a batteries

Last edited:

meloserj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Truly I can't understand what exactly you are looking for. Your mod is a TC box mod and your batteries although written 40A but indeed they are not.
Anyway as your mod can fire until 0.1 ohm low, so it depends on you how to setup your RDA.
If you like subohming, so make 2 coils 7 wrap each om 3mm. it will give you around 0.5 ohm and you can fire it with 40-50 watts and enjoy your vape.

Cozymods

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Truly I can't understand what exactly you are looking for. Your mod is a TC box mod and your batteries although written 40A but indeed they are not.
Anyway as your mod can fire until 0.1 ohm low, so it depends on you how to setup your RDA.
If you like subohming, so make 2 coils 7 wrap each om 3mm. it will give you around 0.5 ohm and you can fire it with 40-50 watts and enjoy your vape.

Thanks, and yeah i really don't know what I'm talking about, for me it's very confusing this is my first RDA, and I ended up just buying a premade coil kit. I just wondered what would be the best coil build with 26g kanthal wire, like how many wraps and what mm to wrap it, I forgot to add what watts i would like to reach sorry about that, i like to vape around 50-70 watts. :)

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Steam Engine is a good starting point & reference guide. There might be times you don't hit the exact Ω that site will present as being X number of wraps around Xmm mandrel with Xawg wire. Do not stress too much if you're within a 0.05Ω range +\-. Try to keep a bit over 0.30Ω until you start gaining a bit more experience. I can do really well from a single cell LG HB6 18650 1500mAh 30A Battery in a mechanical mod using above 0.30Ω, would imagine a regulated mod would do well too. :)

You might want to gain a basic working knowledge of Ohm's Law. Also be aware you will want to leave approximately a 20% charge on a single cell 18650 battery. This is called headspace, it acts as a bit of reference to safety. We don't want to deep cycle batteries. That can limit the batteries holding a charge. It could also lend toward something accidental happening. I'm expressing this not to frighten you, rather trying to convey a sense of using caution and common sense. :)

Cozymods

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Steam Engine is a good starting point & reference guide. There might be times you don't hit the exact Ω that site will present as being X number of wraps around Xmm mandrel with Xawg wire. Do not stress too much if you're within a 0.05Ω range +\-. Try to keep a bit over 0.30Ω until you start gaining a bit more experience. I can do really well from a single cell LG HB6 18650 1500mAh 30A Battery in a mechanical mod using above 0.30Ω, would imagine a regulated mod would do well too. :)

You might want to gain a basic working knowledge of Ohm's Law. Also be aware you will want to leave approximately a 20% charge on a single cell 18650 battery. This is called headspace, it acts as a bit of reference to safety. We don't want to deep cycle batteries. That can limit the batteries holding a charge. It could also lend toward something accidental happening. I'm expressing this not to frighten you, rather trying to convey a sense of using caution and common sense. :)

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. :)

Cozymods

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not a problem at all. Glad you're coming aboard and welcome. :)

Thanks. Also i got one question, i went on Steam Engine and wanted to know if this is a safe build. "I would be vaping around 50-70 watts"

"Dual Coil Setup"

: Kanthal 24g
: 7 wraps 3mm
: Heat capacity (each coil) 62.31 mJ/K
: Ohms 0.33
: 60 watt - 4.4 volts
: Heat Flux 200

I'm just quoting the Steam Engine website. I'm sure this is fine but I'm the kind of guy that would rather be safe than sorry, and take advice from a expert. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. Also i got one question, i went on Steam Engine and wanted to know if this is a safe build. "I would be vaping around 50-70 watts"

"Dual Coil Setup"

: Kanthal 24g
: 7 wraps 3mm
: Heat capacity (each coil) 62.31 mJ/K
: Ohms 0.33
: 60 watt - 4.4 volts
: Heat Flux 200

I'm just quoting the Steam Engine website. I'm sure this is fine but I'm the kind of guy that would rather be safe than sorry, and take advice from a expert. :)

That does seem like it'll do fine. With regulated mods you don't experience the joy of battery drop off, when your battery/ies start getting lower than around 40% or so. Regulated will let you keep going until you bump up against that headspace I mentioned. Then your screen or indicator lights will let you know it's time to recharge the battery/ies.

I used to use an Innokin MVP2, it had an internal battery that seemed to go on forever to me after having used 900mAh - 1600mAh Ego style pen vapor setups. Gotten away from those in preference for having capability to switch out batteries, one or more set aside in safe plastic boxes or buttery rubbers ( i mistyped battery rubbers once so now they're dubbed that. ) fully charged for when the one/s in use drop off on me.

All in I think the set up you've got will do wonderfully. A short few years ago it was recommended that newbies stay well above 0.60Ω, before that it was 1.00Ω. Now, with regulated mods being affordable and having the larger market share, imho it seems alright to start with a bit lower safe sub ohm if a new vaper so desires. :)

Later on lookup Battery Bro. You'll find lots of good information regarding batteries, battery safety. Mooch is a really good guy to be the one presenting that info, too. He works in electronics I believe and is quite credible. Take his advice, even over mine regarding batteries. I at times can be forgetful, or a bit silly, or off to see just how far I might go for giggles. :) I do though at least make an effort to not be too far out in left field regarding safety and caution. My boss lady is a witch, oh sorry, that's wife she says. ;) :)

"She did change me into a newt once." ... "Well, I got better."

VU Sponsors