Become a Patron!

Help with Eleaf iStick + Aspire BVC Clearomiser

Hey guys, new member but been vaping for quite a while, looking for a bit of help with a couple of problems I'm having with my vape.

I use the Eleaf iStick with an Aspire BVC Clearomiser because the tank that came with it kept sticking and I couldn't even open it with pliers, had to keep taking it back to the shop and getting them to open it with the vice.

First question is what the optimal voltage/wattage setting is for this set-up. I was told a while ago but can't remember, I think they recommended somewhere between 3-4v.

Second question is a little more complicated. Whenever I use the vape sideways or upside down (because I'm lying down) it leaks liquid and I end up with burning lips. I'm sure it's just gravity doing its job, but wondering if it's something else? I'm getting a more "liquidy" taste using it in a normal position as well though. Can't really explain it very well other than it leaves a sort of wet-feeling residue in my mouth, which it hasn't ever done until pretty recently. The liquid is tasting a little different as well, I'm getting a much more intense taste from it with a slight burning sensation on my tongue afterwards. I know it tastes different because I'm pretty loyal to this one liquid, I haven't used anything but it for the past few months.

So, am I using it at a voltage that's causing the taste problem or something else? It's currently on 3.3v/5.8w. Thanks for your help in advance!

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A little more info please. Which iStick? There are a several, Pico, Slim, etc. Usually a wet hit is because your not using sufficient wattage to vaporize the juice. What wattage you need to use will depend on the coil in the BVC. A 1.6 ohm coils range is from 10 to 16 watts, the 1.8 ohm coil is from 8 to 14 watts. The ohms of the coil should be etched on the atomizer body. As far as the wet hit when laying down, yeah it's pretty much gravity, but if you aren't running sufficient wattage it would be worse. Hope that helps.

Brother Bob

Member For 4 Years
"I use the Eleaf iStick with an Aspire BVC Clearomiser because the tank that came with it kept sticking and I couldn't even open it with pliers, had to keep taking it back to the shop and getting them to open it with the vice."
Might want to go to the local auto store and purchase a small foil packet of dielectric tune-up (conductivity grease) lubrication. Place a 1/16" diameter dab on the male 510 threads and engage with the female battery.
"First question is what the optimal voltage/wattage setting is for this set-up. I was told a while ago but can't remember, I think they recommended somewhere between 3-4v. "
I like to work in watts because it gives me more control which enables me to find my sweet spot. Might like to turn your voltage/wattage down (5-6 watts) take a few hits, bump it up, couple more hits. Repeat until you find your "sweet spot". If the vape taste bad, back it down. Different flavors/atomizers will have different sweet spots so you may have to experiment with the power settings.
Many factors can effect the watt settings.
"Second question is a little more complicated. Whenever I use the vape sideways or upside down (because I'm lying down) it leaks liquid and I end up with burning lips. "
I cannot recommend vaping upside down,side ways or other. Most vape equipment utilizes gravity to work properly.

A little more info please. Which iStick? There are a several, Pico, Slim, etc. Usually a wet hit is because your not using sufficient wattage to vaporize the juice. What wattage you need to use will depend on the coil in the BVC. A 1.6 ohm coils range is from 10 to 16 watts, the 1.8 ohm coil is from 8 to 14 watts. The ohms of the coil should be etched on the atomizer body. As far as the wet hit when laying down, yeah it's pretty much gravity, but if you aren't running sufficient wattage it would be worse. Hope that helps.

I honestly didn't know what model it is, it was a gift I got quite a while ago so I just went and looked on the eleaf website haha. It's this one https://www.eleafworld.co.uk/mods-batteries/istick-20w-battery.html

"I use the Eleaf iStick with an Aspire BVC Clearomiser because the tank that came with it kept sticking and I couldn't even open it with pliers, had to keep taking it back to the shop and getting them to open it with the vice."
Might want to go to the local auto store and purchase a small foil packet of dielectric tune-up (conductivity grease) lubrication. Place a 1/16" diameter dab on the male 510 threads and engage with the female battery.
"First question is what the optimal voltage/wattage setting is for this set-up. I was told a while ago but can't remember, I think they recommended somewhere between 3-4v. "
I like to work in watts because it gives me more control which enables me to find my sweet spot. Might like to turn your voltage/wattage down (5-6 watts) take a few hits, bump it up, couple more hits. Repeat until you find your "sweet spot". If the vape taste bad, back it down. Different flavors/atomizers will have different sweet spots so you may have to experiment with the power settings.
Many factors can effect the watt settings.
"Second question is a little more complicated. Whenever I use the vape sideways or upside down (because I'm lying down) it leaks liquid and I end up with burning lips. "
I cannot recommend vaping upside down,side ways or other. Most vape equipment utilizes gravity to work properly.

Haha yeah, I've stopped using it upside down now. It's on a higher wattage now (6.1) but I feel like I remember the last vape shop person I spoke to saying any higher would just burn my coil out so I've never gone any higher in case it just kills it. Think it'll be alright to go higher?

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay that sheds more light on the situation. The Istick 20 is a little different than most mods, it uses adjustable voltage rather than adjustable watts. The listed range in the specs is 3.0-5.5 volts, and is capable of pushing 20 watts. So your hitting it up at a bit over what is "recommended". It depends on what coil you are using for your tank, the 1.6 ohm coil would be pulling 23 watts, which is too high, the 1.8 ohm coil would be pulling around 21 watts, not as high but still over your mods capabilities. I would highly recommend dropping your voltage down to no more than the recommended 5.5v, that will get the watt draw down to safer levels. Now we take a look at the coils. The 1.6 ohm coil has a listed watt range of 10 to 16 watts, that means you should vape that coil at a max of 5 volts, and a minimum of 4 volts to stay in that range. For the 1.8 ohm coil you have a range of 8 to 14 watts, that means you should vape that coil at no more than 5 volts as well, and no less than 3.8 volts if the mod will adjust in that small of an increment, otherwise 4 volts would be fine. Running that voltage higher or lower than that will give you less than optimum performance out of the coils. Bottom line is, from the info you have given, you should be running the voltage between 4 and 5 volts.

Brother Bob

Member For 4 Years
Haha yeah, I've stopped using it upside down now. It's on a higher wattage now (6.1) but I feel like I remember the last vape shop person I spoke to saying any higher would just burn my coil out so I've never gone any higher in case it just kills it. Think it'll be alright to go higher?
Istick 20: Operating Wattage: 5.0W-20.0W (Eleaf Istick 20,30,40 have some of the best internal battery mods on the market)
You can set the wattage as high as 20 w. At 20 w you will burn the wick and and it will be trash. By starting at low wattage, where you barely see your vapor, you can slowly ramp it up, one tenth of a watt (6.1,6.2,etc) at a time, until you start to get great taste, then stop.
When I start vaping, my RDA coil (Tank coil wire ambient temp. should be the same) wire is at room temperature. Once I vape for a few minutes (5 or so puffs), heat starts to build up and is held in the wire, I find that if I turn down the wattage a tenth (.1 or .2w) or so from the first setting, I sometimes get even better flavor.
Variable wattage is nice, because it gives you much more flexibility/scalability (ramping up or down during your vape will sometimes give you additional flavor). The e-liquid changes properties as you vape. Excessive VG deposit on the wick is one factor that can effect taste.
"the last vape shop person I spoke to saying any higher would just burn my coil out so I've never gone any higher in case it just kills it."
The sales person is correct. If you ramp up your heat a tenth of a watt a time, you will start to taste a slight off taste/burning way before you kill your wick (coil).
Might like to read:
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://vaping360.com/vaping-and-inhaling-everything-you-need-to-know/
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
http://guidetovaping.com/category/e-cig-beginner/
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
http://ecigclopedia.com/6-quick-useful-vaping-tips-for-beginners/

Okay that sheds more light on the situation. The Istick 20 is a little different than most mods, it uses adjustable voltage rather than adjustable watts. The listed range in the specs is 3.0-5.5 volts, and is capable of pushing 20 watts. So your hitting it up at a bit over what is "recommended". It depends on what coil you are using for your tank, the 1.6 ohm coil would be pulling 23 watts, which is too high, the 1.8 ohm coil would be pulling around 21 watts, not as high but still over your mods capabilities. I would highly recommend dropping your voltage down to no more than the recommended 5.5v, that will get the watt draw down to safer levels. Now we take a look at the coils. The 1.6 ohm coil has a listed watt range of 10 to 16 watts, that means you should vape that coil at a max of 5 volts, and a minimum of 4 volts to stay in that range. For the 1.8 ohm coil you have a range of 8 to 14 watts, that means you should vape that coil at no more than 5 volts as well, and no less than 3.8 volts if the mod will adjust in that small of an increment, otherwise 4 volts would be fine. Running that voltage higher or lower than that will give you less than optimum performance out of the coils. Bottom line is, from the info you have given, you should be running the voltage between 4 and 5 volts.

It's a 1.8ohm coil (I have only just discovered) so I've put it up to 4v to see if it helps. It adjusts in .1 increments as I adjust the wattage so I'll play around between 4-5 volts and see when the wet hits stop! Thanks so much for the help, I had most of this down and memorised when I started vaping and then I went back to smoking for a year or so and all the info left my brain so I really appreciate this :)

VU Sponsors