Become a Patron!

Help with mage rta

Hi there, I recently bought the mage rta by coilart but I'm having big problems with flavour. I put dual Clapton's in when I first bought it but the flavor was very muted and eventually burnt. So I tried with less cotton, it leaked. Through trial and error I found what I thought to be a happy medium. But still no flavor!!! I have now put in 24g kanthal coils but still the same!!!
I use cotton bacon by the way. I know your immediate thought is wicking, mine would be too, but I've tried everything with the same results and I'm at a loss. Please help!!!! Anyone ..

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are your coils raised high above the airflow?
If so, that may cause it with a lot of builds.

I have kept the coils as low as possible with each build. I have watched every build video on the internet I think. I just don't get it, people say its great for flavor so it must be something I'm doing.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have kept the coils as low as possible with each build. I have watched every build video on the internet I think. I just don't get it, people say its great for flavor so it must be something I'm doing.
As @Paratech mentioned, it's probably the position of your coils over the airflow (assuming the wicking is correct). I like to keep it in the 2-3 mm range above the airflow's holes. Too close to the holes, will restrict the airflow as well. In addition, if your coil's position is in that range, it could be your power setting being too low. Play with the airflow control as well. Too much air could result in the lack of flavor too.

I've improved it slightly by lifting the coils a tad and changing the cotton bacon to just Japanese cotton. But I would definitely say it's not the flavour rta I was expecting. I just don't get it as there are tons of people you say the flavour is awesome. Stumped.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just don't get it as there are tons of people you say the flavour is awesome. Stumped.
I just don't get it, people say its great for flavor so it must be something I'm doing.
One important thing to keep in mind is that taste is subjective.
What might be amazing to me, might be terrible for you.
I have a lot of hardware and very seldom do I agree with the masses of what is the best item.
I'm not saying this is definitely the situation but it could be.
Also could be your juice is different than those whom claim the RTA is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Or maybe they just haven't had the greatest thing since sliced bread so it seems the best to them.

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try using slightly less power than you would on your RDA. On a .4 ohm dual coil setup I run lower than 45 watts on my Mage.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Describe you build and power you want to run????? Wire gauge alone is meaningless. My comment is if you are building a RTA like you would a dripper or even a RDTA, you wont get the best results..... Based on the info provided I can't tell what you are getting.... is the coil to hot or too cold, both will give muted flavor.. FWIW, a cool build in a big dripper may be too hot for a tank with a confined vapor chamber.

Currently I have 2 8 coil 24g kanthal it's around .35 ohms. I'm running it at different wattages, but I find around 45w to be about the best. I have tried lots of different amounts of cotton, from what I consider too much, to too little. It seems to me that the wicks are not getting enough juice as the flavour drops off rapidly when I chain a couple of puffs. Would you suggest more or less cotton in the mage?

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What size are your coils? I use 3mm coils on my mage, similar to your build and thin out the cotton until it pretty much just covers the holes snugly. I use the 'troll doll technique' that Grimm Green talks about in his Mage review on Youtube and it works great.

I'm currently using 2.5mm coils, I also do the troll way, I think it's working a lot better now, I've upped the wattage to 55. I'm starting to wonder whether it's actually my taste after all

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I notice that my ADV will taste like nothing for a vape session sometimes and then be fine again. Vape tongue? IDK.

Atrumitos

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Used to have the same problem. Fixed it when I started tucking my wicks in, rather than trying to push them in place. I use pointy tweezers and the flavor is great, plus no leaks.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm currently using 2.5mm coils, I also do the troll way, I think it's working a lot better now, I've upped the wattage to 55. I'm starting to wonder whether it's actually my taste after all
Another thing regarding flavor. Ideally, you have 3-4 different eJuices that you switch during the day, in order to avoid "Vaper's tongue". You can get used to a flavor so much so, that you can't taste it anymore.

Jerry J

Member For 5 Years
Used to have the same problem. Fixed it when I started tucking my wicks in, rather than trying to push them in place. I use pointy tweezers and the flavor is great, plus no leaks.

Apologies to the OP and going off topic....
I just got my Mage and this thing leaks like a sieve. The juice just gushes out of the air holes. I've not had a leaker this bad since my Billow V2 days. I did tuck the the cotton using the "troll doll" method and made sure that the wick was pushed up to the juice flow holes.

I had recently bought a Smok TF-RTA since it was on a blow out sale and it was a piece of cake to build/wick without any issues. It has revived my beliefs in the RTA format. So I thought that the Mage would be just a killer. Not so!

all_thumbs

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got my Mage and this thing leaks like a sieve. The juice just gushes out of the air holes. I've not had a leaker this bad since my Billow V2 days. I did tuck the the cotton using the "troll doll" method and made sure that the wick was pushed up to the juice flow holes.

OK, I have two Mages (and a Mage GTA) and mine have never leaked, but I have had other tanks act like that. I'd have to say try breaking it all the way down, clean it, check the o-rings for tears, etc. After that put it back together and build with 2.5-3mm dual coils with a decent amount of cotton wick. Prime the wick slightly before putting it back together. Make sure everything is snugged up, but no need to crank it so tight that you need a tool to unscrew things. Fill it with the airflow closed(!)

If it still leaks you might have gotten a bad one somehow. You could always try contacting the vendor if you can determine a real fault with yours.

Last edited:

Jerry J

Member For 5 Years
OK, I have two Mages (and a Mage GTA) and mine have never leaked, but I have had other tanks act like that. I'd have to say try breaking it all the way down, clean it, check the o-rings for tears, etc. After that put it back together and build with 2.5-3mm dual coils with a decent amount of cotton wick. Prime the wick slightly before putting it back together. Make sure everything is snugged up, but no need to crank it so tight that you need a tool to unscrew things. Fill it with the airflow closed(!)

If it still leaks you might have gotten a bad one somehow. You could always try contacting the vendor if you can determine a real fault with yours.

Thank you for the tips! I'll give it another shot.

Atrumitos

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I had recently bought a Smok TF-RTA since it was on a blow out sale and it was a piece of cake to build/wick without any issues. It has revived my beliefs in the RTA format. So I thought that the Mage would be just a killer. Not so!

Hey sorry for the delayed response. Yep it's a rather crappy design. I got the Griffin 25 plus since and I have left the mage behind. A little flavor loss is worth the build ease. Although I'm hearing the OBS engine is even better in that regard but oh well. :p

Jerry J

Member For 5 Years
OK, pulled everything apart, cleaned and made certain that the o-rings were good I put it all back together with a new wicks. It worked fine for 2 tank refills and then it just purged itself of almost all of the juice through the air holes. I think that I am convinced that this was just not meant to be.

VU Sponsors