help with my first coil

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so i just built my first coil out of 28 kanthal.Its for my protank 2 ohm meter says 1.47 i have a itaste vv3 its volts are from 3-5 and wattage from 6-11 what should my settings be for that coil and will it hold up in my protank 2

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I stopped building pt coils quite early ironprime so I can only say so much. I think your ohms are at a good middle range. Low enough to get a good hit but high enough to not affect the insulator. I know that when vapers have made them too low they've had the pt head insulators/rubber grommets melt on them. As for power setting, it's really down to experimenting to find your sweet spot without getting too many dry hits. Well done btw

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i got lucky yesters found 25 feet of wire for 2 bucks i mean not bad to me and my ohm meter was 5$ everything was 60% off so i said why not
and thank you i mean if i mess it up i buy a whole new head then try gain when thats done

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It should work fine, as for settings start low and work your way up. See how it wicks and whats comfortable for the way you vape. Good Luck with the new coils.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I tried messing with this.

The insulators just seem to contribute a burned rubber flavor when I tried.

I solved the problem by switching to the Kayfun Lite.

Less work, less aggravation and better flavor and vapor

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yeah protank is my first actual tank aside from the basic clearomizers ill eventually buy better ones funds become better

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
or by some miracle i win a contest and can try other things

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did the same UncleRJ. I started with protank coils but they are such a pain to recoil. That helped me into dripping and then onto my Kayfuns.

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
it really wasnt that bad to do i messed up one coil but that was my fault i squezed to hard and shot it across room and bent it

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

It really is. A kayfun is much simpler to rebuild. I know you've only just bought your protank but you'll buy a kayfun eventually so the sooner the better. So many for sale and trade now too

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just rolled a parallel coil with 34 ga came out to 1.45 ohm and it is a thing of glory.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like building RBA/RDA stuff, but I'm too lazy to mess with a PT build...so far.
I get 1.5 Ohm heads @ 5 for $6.00. Each head lasts nearly a month, so...why bother?

I do check the coil for build quality and prod it into shape if it's weird. I also take off the two Silica "flavor wicks" and replace with a similar sized bit of hemp or cotton for better wicking IMO. SIlica sucks.

DV also has 5ml Vision Victory BCC clones...basically a ProTank...for four bucks each. Love them for out and about..no muss no fuss and 5ml is plenty for most outings. ;)

I keep 'em clean by dry-burning the coils (with the 'flavor-wicks' removed) when they start to get gummed up and when that fails, they go in a bag for later rebuilding or if I need 'em for parts.

Last edited:

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
shoot im lucky if i get two weeks out of it im a very heavy vaper my last one lasted a week

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so i just built my first coil out of 28 kanthal.Its for my protank 2 ohm meter says 1.47 i have a itaste vv3 its volts are from 3-5 and wattage from 6-11 what should my settings be for that coil and will it hold up in my protank 2
i wrapped one today like that,28ga 12 wraps around a 20ga needle.Came out at 1.4ohm,I run mine on a MVP2 at 9.5 watts and the flavor is good.I wicked the coil with organic cotton,and added one more thin strand on top of the coil.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The joose used and power also affect how long a coil will last. My custard vapes seem to gunk up coils alot faster than other jooses.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
shoot im lucky if i get two weeks out of it im a very heavy vaper my last one lasted a week
I'm lucky if I get 2 working out of 5 in a blister pack. I used to think there was something wrong with my juice but it was the premade coils. Perhaps they've improved

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ive been using vapes gone wild zombie brains and sour skittles and coild last about a week two weeks tops,
Hobby Kid i get a little sketched buying them thats why i was more interested in learning how to make them you never know what your gonna get when you buy as opposed to making them yourself

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i felt like those pro tank heads died every other day and i thought "at this rate i might as well buy a dripper and a mod" how you like that logic? :D
as soon as i can afford it i might go but me a better tank idk how my itaste vv3 will do with a dripper

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
haha im kidding, i tell everyone in your position to buy a nautilus mini with bvc coils. kanger still way behind them in coil head development and a nautilus bvc would be perfect for an itaste vv3, coil heads last forever i hear

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
L
i felt like those pro tank heads died every other day and i thought "at this rate i might as well buy a dripper and a mod" how you like that logic? :D

About the same conclusion i came to. The quality on the prebuilt heads was really bad so i move to rebuilding them. Then when I started looking at the RSST and IGO-W and thought "That would be SOOOOO much easier to build on!!!" I now have 2 RSST's (not used often), 4 Kayfuns (used daily), and a couple drippers for testing juice or on a bad day. I can set down and rebuild/rewick all of them in under and hour.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm I'm not expert in building pt heads. I'm sure there's many who are. For me it's like this:
Protank head rebuild: 20-30mins
Kayfun rebuild: 5mins
RDA rebuild: 5mins

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
literally everyone that has tried the nautilus mini says its one of the best vapes they have had including drippers. if you want a fill n go i really think thats your best bet

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
so anyone use the veritas cause if so what are your thoughts i have one on the way but its a clone

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Yep, not to mention that you don't need a magnifying glass to see the innards of the coil head (sigh, getting old sucks)

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
so anyone use the veritas cause if so what are your thoughts i have one on the way but its a clone

I got a real one in a trade, they are great drippers. I build 2 vertical coils @ .5 Ohms each giving me .25 Ohms. Run the setup on my ipv2 at 38 watts, it puts out the vapor and the coils aren't too hot to fry the flavor. I'm a flavor junkie, I'll take less clouds in favor of better flavor.

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got a real one in a trade, they are great drippers. I build 2 vertical coils @ .5 Ohms each giving me .25 Ohms. Run the setup on my ipv2 at 38 watts, it puts out the vapor and the coils aren't too hot to fry the flavor. I'm a flavor junkie, I'll take less clouds in favor of better flavor.
see the highest mine will go is 11 watts i dont have any mods yet really but for less than 10 bucks wont complain pretty much traded a decal for it

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
at 11 watts, I'd build a 1.5 Ohm setup. You might want to think about getting a cheap copper clone like the four 9, or a Nemesis. For 20 bucks it will rock that Veritas. Just make sure to use a vtc4 or vtc5 battery

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
haha im kidding, i tell everyone in your position to buy a nautilus mini with bvc coils. kanger still way behind them in coil head development and a nautilus bvc would be perfect for an itaste vv3, coil heads last forever i hear

My fiance broke her nautilus by dropping it, so she is trying out an aerotank mini. Neither has had any issues. I am thanking about at all the leaking gurgling evod tanks I recently threw away.

One thing with the nautilus is that I could hand tighten it back together but needed pliers to take it apart for refills.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My fiance broke her nautilus by dropping it, so she is trying out an aerotank mini. Neither has had any issues. I am thanking about at all the leaking gurgling evod tanks I recently threw away.

One thing with the nautilus is that I could hand tighten it back together but needed pliers to take it apart for refills.
the mini has some good looking SS replacement tanks http://www.vividsmoke.com/aspire-nautilus-mini-replacement-stainless-tank.html?search=replacement

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Too much glass stuck in part of the tank end. I didn't want to mess around with any leftover glass so I threw most of it away. Money isn't an issue when it comes to her not smoking. She is getting a fogger as a replacement since some of her coworkers were commenting on the aerotank mini with Cloupor as being an odd combo.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, not to mention that you don't need a magnifying glass to see the innards of the coil head (sigh, getting old sucks)
Haha, sometimes. There's those headgear magnifying glasses with the lights on them :) I have a pair. I've used them once or twice. They took me a bit of getting used to. I've got the third hand also with magnifying glass and croc clips for soldering small circuit boards. Makes all the difference no matter who you are. Very useful, very cheap.

plinsday

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
...and replace with a similar sized bit of hemp or cotton for better wicking IMO. SIlica sucks.

Never thought of using hemp...does it soak pretty good

Tapatalk: Samsung Note III

aussie

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
Everything works I have been rebuilding protank heads for almost 2 years 8 wraps of 28 for 1.5 or 5 wraps of 30 for a 1.3 all wrapped around a 2 mm precision driver silica sucks IMO, cotton yarn works but can sometimes wick too slowly, organic works well but don't restrict the wick with the coil less is more, Japanese cotton works even better practice and you will find the perfect amount for you but make sure you trim in the proper direction with the grain and last but by far not least is the cellucotton still less is more but wicks so fast never had a burn unless the tank runs dry. Now as far as maintenance every few days pull the cotton or whatever dry burn until juice is gone and the shmuts burns off pulse and blow so not to burn the insulator and re wick. I have probably 6 heads and have never had to replace any just rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. Until you decide to try Kayfun or a Fogger but on the run a protank or a mini are very hard to beat

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Everything works I have been rebuilding protank heads for almost 2 years 8 wraps of 28 for 1.5 or 5 wraps of 30 for a 1.3 all wrapped around a 2 mm precision driver silica sucks IMO, cotton yarn works but can sometimes wick too slowly, organic works well but don't restrict the wick with the coil less is more, Japanese cotton works even better practice and you will find the perfect amount for you but make sure you trim in the proper direction with the grain and last but by far not least is the cellucotton still less is more but wicks so fast never had a burn unless the tank runs dry. Now as far as maintenance every few days pull the cotton or whatever dry burn until juice is gone and the shmuts burns off pulse and blow so not to burn the insulator and re wick. I have probably 6 heads and have never had to replace any just rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. Until you decide to try Kayfun or a Fogger but on the run a protank or a mini are very hard to beat
yeah i have been doing about 9 wraps o far im afraid to dry burn cause i dont want to mess up the rubber grommet. i hve a veritas clone on the way but ill only be able to run at 11 watts which sucks but i cant afford a regulated mod.im using cotton balls as my wicks seem to be doing fine and i got lucky i got 100 feet of 28 gauge kanthal for 4 bucks so i got plenty to practice with for now

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yeah i have been doing about 9 wraps o far im afraid to dry burn cause i dont want to mess up the rubber grommet. i hve a veritas clone on the way but ill only be able to run at 11 watts which sucks but i cant afford a regulated mod.im using cotton balls as my wicks seem to be doing fine and i got lucky i got 100 feet of 28 gauge kanthal for 4 bucks so i got plenty to practice with for now
If you burn your rubber grommet you can get replacement grommets at lightning vapes, bags of 100 for cheap.

ironprime

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you burn your rubber grommet you can get replacement grommets at lightning vapes, bags of 100 for cheap.
ok that is good to know thank you

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry I missed the concept of your question before. I build PT3 dual coils @ 1`4 to 1`5 OHMs run them on a MPV2 I use between 4`2 to 4`4 v 10 to 10`5w and have not experienced any burnt rubber or burnt rubber taste.
yea it's been a long day today too. correction [my MVP2]

VU Sponsors