Become a Patron!

Help with my setup please!

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi everyone! I'm a total newbie when it comes to vape, so please bear with me if my questions turn out to be sort of st**id.

I've decided to quit smoking so I bought myself a Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini and an Aspire Triton 2 tank under the guidance of the sales rep of a certain vape shop.

I've read the manual of both items but I couldn't understand much of what was written since it contained a lot of techie terms which I was unfamiliar with.

My question is:

1. Are the settings shown on the screen correct?

2. Is it normal for the tank to get quite warm?

3. Is it normal to sometimes feel something very small hitting your tongue when puffing?

4. Some of the settings shown in other screens have the temp at 450°F, I was told not to touch it. He put in the atomizer with an orange o-ring.

5. I've heard of horror stories of these things exploding, this won't blow up in my face, would it?

Here's a pic of the settings on the screen and my current setup, just want to be sure it's safe to use:
ba322713f8fed7a2e8d90d081cadf941.jpg

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU. Nice set up! Do you know which coil is installed in your Triton?

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you, Chris! The one with blue rings is in the box, I'm not totally sure what the color of the other one is (orange, if i remember correctly) since the sales rep was the one who assembled it for me.

I sometimes hear a very slight popping sound which kind rattles me due to stories of these blowing up. Is that normal?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi everyone! I'm a total newbie when it comes to vape, so please bear with me if my questions turn out to be sort of st**id.

I've decided to quit smoking so I bought myself a Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini and an Aspire Triton 2 tank under the guidance of the sales rep of a certain vape shop.

I've read the manual of both items but I couldn't understand much of what was written since it contained a lot of techie terms which I was unfamiliar with.

My question is:

1. Are the settings shown on the screen correct?

2. Is it normal for the tank to get quite warm?

3. Is it normal to sometimes feel something very small hitting your tongue when puffing?

4. Some of the settings shown in other screens have the temp at 450°F, I was told not to touch it. He put in the atomizer with an orange o-ring.

5. I've heard of horror stories of these things exploding, this won't blow up in my face, would it?

Here's a pic of the settings on the screen and my current setup, just want to be sure it's safe to use:
ba322713f8fed7a2e8d90d081cadf941.jpg

Thanks very much in advance for your help!
Hello there and welcome...

It won't explode I promise...
I assume ur using the stainless steel coil if ur mod is set to 450 degrees...
The spitting is because you have to much juice in the coil installed in ur tank...
Grab the top cap below ur drip tip and close the juice flow...
Watch this vid...

VAPE ON

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you, ej! I was told to stay on the wattage mode or whatever it's called but im not sure if he said to leave all the other modes on 450°F... I might have accidentally adjusted it since I was fiddling around with it yesterday.

Is it normal for the tank to get quite warm also? I noticed it getting warm just awhile ago so i put it in front of the fan.

While I'm new to vaping, I'm relatively familiar with 18650's since I collect flashlights. I've learned to respect them since they can explode if mistreated so I kinda got worried about the tank heating up....

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you, ej! I was told to stay on the wattage mode or whatever it's called but im not sure if he said to leave all the other modes on 450°F... I might have accidentally adjusted it since I was fiddling around with it yesterday.

Is it normal for the tank to get quite warm also? I noticed it getting warm just awhile ago so i put it in front of the fan.

While I'm new to vaping, I'm relatively familiar with 18650's since I collect flashlights. I've learned to respect them since they can explode if mistreated so I kinda got worried about the tank heating up....

All subohm tanks gets warm, that's normal, as long as the mod doesn't get too warm or hot ur GOOD.. read the manual, check what coil you have installed and let the tank rest LOL..

VAPE ON

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, I just finished the youtube link you sent over. According to the vid, I have the 0.5ohm Clapton coil installed since the blue ring coil is still in the box. It also says to leave it in power mode for Clapton coils.

So in my understanding, it really doesn't matter what's indicated in the temp control mode since that mode isn't displayed, right?

Or does the 450°F setting in the temp control mode still active even if I'm in power mode?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not active unless u set it on TC mode...
Ur mod should show POWER
WATTS VOLTAGE ONLY
IF U SEE THE TEMP
PRESS THE POWER BUTTON 3 times change to POWER MODE

VAPE ON

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have another question, is it okay to leave the juice inside the tank overnight in case I dont finish it? Or am I going to have to throw away the juice left behind since it will over saturate the cotton?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
you can leave juice in the tank over night

mods exploding are usually morons
your device has a computer chip in it, it is programmed to not let your mod blow up.
the stories of people blowing up mods are NORMALLY ones using devices without a chip to prevent that and the user did something stupid

Your device can be in power mode or one of three temperature control modes call TC. the 3 TC modes are Ni-200,TI and SS
temperature control works by the chip reading the coils resistance and using that to determine temperature since CERTAIN wire types have a specific change in resistance as they heat up.

NOW with that said you can only use TC MODE on your device using a ni200 or nickel coil, a TI or Titanium coil or SS or stainless Steel coil
And you have to choose the proper mode for which type of coil you have.
you can only use Ni200 and Ti coils in TC modes, otherwise they will get too hot and could release dangerous vapors to inhale
SS coils can be use din both TC and power modes
the normal wire for power mode is kanthal or SS

A clapton coil is a type of coil and does not mean anything about wire type it refers to a single wire being wrapped with another wire. the can be mad eof any wire type. This is comparison to just a single strand of wire being made to look like a coil spring and being used which is the basic type of coil.

when in power mode you have no control over temperature settings so if temperature is showing on the screen your in TC mode not power mode

tanks get warm no big deal

I know nothing about your tank and its coils

so look around this forum or the manufacturer's website or ask teh store about the wires use din each coil to know which ones can be use din which mode

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you can leave juice in the tank over night

mods exploding are usually morons
your device has a computer chip in it, it is programmed to not let your mod blow up.
the stories of people blowing up mods are NORMALLY ones using devices without a chip to prevent that and the user did something stupid

Your device can be in power mode or one of three temperature control modes call TC. the 3 TC modes are Ni-200,TI and SS
temperature control works by the chip reading the coils resistance and using that to determine temperature since CERTAIN wire types have a specific change in resistance as they heat up.

NOW with that said you can only use TC MODE on your device using a ni200 or nickel coil, a TI or Titanium coil or SS or stainless Steel coil
And you have to choose the proper mode for which type of coil you have.
you can only use Ni200 and Ti coils in TC modes, otherwise they will get too hot and could release dangerous vapors to inhale
SS coils can be use din both TC and power modes
the normal wire for power mode is kanthal or SS

A clapton coil is a type of coil and does not mean anything about wire type it refers to a single wire being wrapped with another wire. the can be mad eof any wire type. This is comparison to just a single strand of wire being made to look like a coil spring and being used which is the basic type of coil.

when in power mode you have no control over temperature settings so if temperature is showing on the screen your in TC mode not power mode

tanks get warm no big deal

I know nothing about your tank and its coils

so look around this forum or the manufacturer's website or ask teh store about the wires use din each coil to know which ones can be use din which mode
Thank you, matt. That gives me more confidence in using my current setup.

I've yet to explore the other coils but the one installed for me (the orange .5 ohm, if I'm not mistaken) seems to be doing its job of keeping me away from cigarettes, so i'll stick with that first.

I'm not totally sold on the freebie juice it came with (im guessing it's some cheap stuff) so I'm going to head over to a vape shop tom to grab some other juice.

That said, I can disassemble the tank without any problems but simce I'm changing the flavor of the juice, wont it still taste somewhat the same as the old juice I had in it since the cotton has been saturated with the old juice? Is there a way to clean the cotton?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
welcome to vaping dfferent flavors
i dont clean the coils between flavors
i just enjoy the mix of flavors until the old one goes away, which can take a few puffs to a full tank.

technically
if you remove the coil
wash it out or boil it or use an ultrasonic cleaner or rinse it in vodka or pure grain you can get rid of all the old juice.

you have to let the coil completely dry out before you reinstall it and try the next flavor.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you, matt. That gives me more confidence in using my current setup.

I've yet to explore the other coils but the one installed for me (the orange .5 ohm, if I'm not mistaken) seems to be doing its job of keeping me away from cigarettes, so i'll stick with that first.

I'm not totally sold on the freebie juice it came with (im guessing it's some cheap stuff) so I'm going to head over to a vape shop tom to grab some other juice.

That said, I can disassemble the tank without any problems but simce I'm changing the flavor of the juice, wont it still taste somewhat the same as the old juice I had in it since the cotton has been saturated with the old juice? Is there a way to clean the cotton?
Wash it with hot water until the smell goes away...I suggest change coil head/ or like what Matt said mix it until the previous flavor goes away..
The problem with buying juice in a VAPE store..
Most stores don't have tanks sample, they use DRIPPERS, keep in mind that juice flavor in DRIPPERS or RDA produces more flavor to a TANK, don't expect the same flavor when you put in ur tank...

VAPE ON

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, got it. Thanks so much, guys! Sorry for the abundance of questions but vaping got me stumped, so many things to learn it's overwhelming!

I guess I'll go ahead and boil it then maybe dry it off with a hair dryer so I wont have to wait a day for it to dry out.

Thanks again, you guys have been incredibly helpful!

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't bother with boiling your coil. The new juice flavor will overtake the old juice in just a few pulls unless you were using some really strong flavor like lemon-lime or something. I have heard some folks say that trying to clean you coils shortens their life span. If you want a clean coil, just go buy a new one. They are relatively inexpensive (around $3-$5). Personally since the coil is fairly new, I would just use it and let the new flavor take over. The coil you are using is a .5 ohm Clapton coil with a Kanthal base and a Kanthal wrap. These coils are not meant to be used in Temperature Control mode. You need to switch your Mod to Power mode and find a Wattage that you are comfortable with. The coil is rated for 40-45 watts so start with 40 and give it a try. You can lower or raise (within reason) above or below the rating. I have a Triton coil and I usually vape at around 40 watts. I never had problems with it getting too hot but can get warm to the touch. Sounds like the guy that set yours up did not have a great understanding of the various Triton 2 coils and set you up in TC by mistake but that's just my opinion based on what you are telling us.

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi pescadore! Okay, I'll give that a shot before boiling it. Although the juice i put in it seems to have a stubborn smell (tried to wash the smell off my hands with soap but they wont come off).

The sales rep handed the vape to me in power mode but as i was fiddling around with it yesterday, i stumbled into temp control mode and accidentally changed the numbers. I just wanted to make sure that i didnt do anything to mess it up.

Sorry, another question. What's the difference between a direct to lung and a mouth to lung hit? I'm assuming that direct to lung is what i used to do when smoking a proper cigarette, right? And a mouth to lung is when you pool the smoke in your mouth before "swallowing" the smoke (i hope that made sense)? Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I looked into your terminology section but it wasnt losted there.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
yea you got the right idea
many smokers smoke MTL
but some do do direct lung inhales on a cigarette

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yea you got the right idea
many smokers smoke MTL
but some do do direct lung inhales on a cigarette
Direct LUNG HIT ON A CIGARETTE??
where can I buy one of this CLOUD CHASING STINKIES??

VAPE ON

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i used to DL my cigarettes when I smoked, its not that unusual.

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same here. I tried a MTL puff on vape and I couldn't do it. It would always go staight to my lungs which is the case when puffing cigarettes as well.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same here. I tried a MTL puff on vape and I couldn't do it. It would always go staight to my lungs which is the case when puffing cigarettes as well.
Wow. You guys are some unique individuals....

VAPE ON

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha! I dunno, I guess it's just a force of habit acquired over the years. Glad I stopped smoking and started vaping. Healthier, I suppose. Time will tell.

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just an update to my setup:

I just took apart the Triton 2 since I noticed a bit of leakage coming out from the air vent which i leave about halfway open.

I washed everything with water, dried everything out with a towel and a blow dryer and the assembled all the parts back together.

Since I forgot to prime the wick, I let it sit for about 5-10mins in vape mode then tried it out. It works fine but I still hear a bit or gurgling/popping sound which, if I'm not mistaken, is a sign of a flooded atomizer. What am I doing wrong? Will the leakage come back?

Note: when I filled it with juice, I closed the air vent and left it closed until I vaped 5-10mins after filling.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The gurgling is a sign of flooded coil head,
Keep firing it, blow not suck until the gurgling goes away,
Leaking from tanks is always part of the package, learn how not suck too damn hard, hit the fire button, let the vapor flow in ur lung then exhale, it's not a cigarette, you can't do the same thing...

VAPE ON

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sucking too hard doesn't make me sound good but on a more serious note, i should blow into the mouthpiece while firing it to rid or the gurgling?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Correct
Lol
Its kinda like when DRIPPERS blow on the rda before they inhale! That's too prevent any spit back

VAPE ON

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, thanks! The gurgling sort of went away. Just pure vaping sound now. What you suggested had my wife laughing when i did it though, Inguess i kinda looked weird doing it

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hahahahaha
Suck nice and slow, blow hard sometimes, sounds sexual isn't it?? Lol
But seriously, let the vapor glide in ur mouth? Remember TANKS utilizes vacuum effect the more u suck on that thing the more u create juice deposits in ur coils heads, and if U don't VAPE high wattage U will get the gurgling once in a while. when changing coil head, do the same thing blow on it until it's smooth and no gurgling

VAPE ON

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol!!! Indeed, it does!

Got it, thanks for the tip! Never thought vaping would have such a steep learning curve! Hehe!

VU Sponsors