Help With Simple Lemon Custard Recipe

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hey! It's been quite a while since I've tried making my own recipes - like maybe six years? I want to make a real simple lemon custard, using only CAP Vanilla Custard and FA Lemon Sicily. I don't want too heavy of a lemon flavor to it, but with a flavor similar to an English lemon curd I guess? What percentage of each would you fine folks recommend?

Thanks!

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I got a little scared and reduced the lemon in the Lemon Curd recipe from 1% down to 0.5%.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
From what little I know, I do know that FA Lemon Sicily tends to fade a bit after a steep. I would think the original 1% would’ve been fine. Just my 2 cents ;)
We'll find out in about 2 weeks. I was looking for a subtle lemon flavor. Like in cooking, I can always add more but can't subtract.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, Lemon Sicily will fade. The only lemons I've used that don't are FE Lemon and Inawera Lemon Mix (not sure this is even manufactured any more).

I also think the original 1% would have been fine - and still quite a light lemon flavor. At 0.5% you might not have any of that Sicily left after two weeks - but you've mixed for a long time and know your own tastes. With that being the case, you should follow your own intuition. As you said, you can always add more.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Custard needs to steep (lemon doesn't) I often deal with this by mixing my custard/cheesecake/creams first, let it steep, then add fruits later (especially lemon) I have to say... I finally got FE lemon (it's great and very strong and doesn't fade like many others) Flavor Jungle has it ;)
10% custard? Did I mis-read that?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just my 2 cents... I would dilute it and add more lemon.
I noticed it mostly all VG (except the flavors I assume are PG) Have you ever tried adding a very small amount of distilled water (like 5% or less)?
On all the flavors, CAP vanilla custard is used at 6% max (and you also had some cheesecake) Even if you don't dilute it, at least add more lemon (after the steep)

VU Sponsors