Become a Patron!

Help with unregulated and RDA's

Hey, I was wondering how to get into unregs and Rda's but I don't really know what to start. I know the benefits like flavor as well as cheaper coils since you make them yourself. I'm just really confused as to what to do first. Are there any videos that anyone here would be able to recommend me like how to do ohms law as well as how to be able to build and what batteries to use, etc. As well as what mods would you guys would suggest for a starter like me or any past mods that you guys have used that worked really well and looked nice too, and things like that. All the help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much!
:hamster:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I would say as you mentioned, first learn ohm's law. I don't know what videos or articles for that but I'm sure there's many. You could take a look at Battery Mooch's blog, FB, and see what he has for that and, he's the vaping communities battery expert so there's some things to learn there. Once you have a firm understanding of that, move on to mod, atty, and batteries imo.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hey, I was wondering how to get into unregs and Rda's but I don't really know what to start. I know the benefits like flavor as well as cheaper coils since you make them yourself. I'm just really confused as to what to do first. Are there any videos that anyone here would be able to recommend me like how to do ohms law as well as how to be able to build and what batteries to use, etc. As well as what mods would you guys would suggest for a starter like me or any past mods that you guys have used that worked really well and looked nice too, and things like that. All the help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much!

While a working knowledge of ohm's law is critical for building RDA coils, using a mech is not

I'd really recommend you learn to build coils for RDAs for use on your regulated mod before jumping into mechs - though I am a mech user myself and always have been

And I'd like to congratulate you on making the effort to gain knowledge before jumping in head first

Oh, and welcome to VU :wave:

While a working knowledge of ohm's law is critical for building RDA coils, using a mech is not

I'd really recommend you learn to build coils for RDAs for use on your regulated mod before jumping into mechs - though I am a mech user myself and always have been

And I'd like to congratulate you on making the effort to gain knowledge before jumping in head first

Oh, and welcome to VU :wave:

Thank you for the welcome and Thank you for the help too! When it came to building I did try to find some videos but I didn't really understand what they were saying. What did you do to learn about it and what video would you say helped you most during the coil building. And I don't know if this is to much to ask but, what's a good popular preset coil build that's best all round? Not like one you buy but a build someones come up with. Thank you again!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for the welcome and Thank you for the help too! When it came to building I did try to find some videos but I didn't really understand what they were saying. What did you do to learn about it and what video would you say helped you most during the coil building. And I don't know if this is to much to ask but, what's a good popular preset coil build that's best all round? Not like one you buy but a build someones come up with. Thank you again!

To be honest, my first builds were copies of a coil that was made by the guy who sold me the atomizer

Once that coil wore out, I counted the wraps and copied an exact replica of what I'd been vaping, lol

How you build a coil will depend on how you want the atomizer to behave, whether you want a cool or hot vape, clouds vs flavor, the size of the chamber of the atomizer and many other factors

Do you have a RBA yet?

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
this thread has a list of other helpful threads for people who are just starting out. the steam engine thread goes into ohms law a bit, there are links to mooches stuff and lots of coil building stuff, from your first coil, to some of the most complex ones. lots of info, as well as more focused places to ask questions on specific topics :cheers:

http://vapingunderground.com/thread...ld-from-beginner-to-advanced-and-more.413083/

WotofoOfficial

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
VU Challenge Sponsor
for mechanicals first know what type of mechanical are you using

we suggest a tube mod

get an ohm reader its NECESSARY

some good batteries (which you can find on mooch's blog)

and use this formula when building

4.2v (average full charge battery) divided by resistance (ohms) equals Amperes (A)

its in its simplest form.... also using a tube mod then keep builds at .15ohm and above. never go below .15ohms as a beginner

Kitsune

Member For 1 Year
I have to agree on not using a mech with no safety features when starting to build.
An atomizer can short pretty quick if you don't know what you're doing and a tube won't tell you "watch out" like a regulated mod does.
Instead it can catch fire or even explode.
There are quite a few mods with Bypass mode around for when you want some kind of a mech feeling but with safety features.

Another option would be something along the lines of a mech with safety features included (yep those things exist), however, a regulated mod with bypass mode has the advantage that is shows you what's wrong and also shows you the resistance.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
As was mentioned ohms law, ohms law, ohms law... build within batteries amp limits.....
learn coil placement in relation to airflow, posts, and the other parts of the rda.
That last is where building on a regulated device can help the most.
You’ll learn where to actually put your coil to avoid shorting against the, post, deck or barrel.

As far as actually building a coil, you can pick that up quick. I buy Clapton’s in spools and just wrap the coil with that. If you’re using round wire all you need are clippers and drill bit.

Again for mods I agree with the above, learn on a regulated device and then you’ll feel more comfortable getting that first mechmod. You can either switch to bypass to get the feel of running off battery or set your wattage to an applied voltage of 3.8v and you’ll see how a Mech will behave with its nominal voltage; while, having the advantage of ensuring you’re not running a hard short.

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Rebuildable atomizers are cheaper to operate and have better flavor usually than regular tanks with factory-made coils, but an unregulated mod does not have any impact on cost or a good vape. I always recommend learning to rebuild RDAs and the like (RTAs, RDTAs) while using a Regulated mod that shows you wattage, voltage, resistance, and amps. This way you can see first-hand how all the different numbers affect each other, while also having safety features as a backup in case you make a mistake while building (which will happen, it's nearly inevitable to make mistakes while learning, right?)

Bonus of a good regulated mod is you wouldnt have to buy a 521 tab/ohm meter, and you can go ahead and vape right after you get your RDA set up :p

If you really want an unregulated mod, I would still go for one that has some protections like low voltage cut-off, short circuit protection, minimum resistance etc - for safety and peace of mind

My favorite right now is the DPRO 133 - it's unregulated, but it's not a mech mod. That means that it only has one button (Fire/power) and no screen, but the resistance of my coils and how charged my batteries are, are the only two ways to control the wattage it puts out

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Hey, I was wondering how to get into unregs and Rda's but I don't really know what to start.
Do you vape right now? What mod do you have?
what's a good popular preset coil build that's best all round?
If by "preset" you mean premade, premade coils for rebuildables are a vailable but it depends on your vaping style, as to what might be recommended. Making your own coils costs less and gives you more control.
http://www.steam-engine.org/

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When it came to building I did try to find some videos but I didn't really understand what they were saying. What did you do to learn about it and what video would you say helped you most during the coil building. And I don't know if this is to much to ask but, what's a good popular preset coil build that's best all round? Not like one you buy but a build someones come up with.
This isn't how I started, but nevertheless I think you should start by watching this one before anything else.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No sane person starts building complex or hybrid coils from the start. There are plenty of AWG and materials for simple-wire, simple ribbon, twisted ribbon, parallel or twisted wire.

I can't even recommend buying the "multi-pak" precoiled wires - I don't trust chinee wire being clean, as-labeled, etc.

I would bet you could order from @CrazyChef v2.0 or @Pegleg Meg a small set of premade shots or coils and otherwise stock std wires - totally satisfying most folks. Indeed, I would wager either/both could wisely ADVISE a material, size, resistance for a given type of atty, mod, "use".

I've already posted repeatedly what I'd recommend for starter DIY coiling. Good luck.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I started with just regular round wire coils. Then someone on another forum showed me how to do parallel coils, and the rest is history. As much as the fancier coils can usually give a better quality vape, there's not a thing wrong with the regular single wire coil builds. And they're quite easy to learn.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No sane person starts building complex or hybrid coils from the start.
This was my first coil build. I had only been vaping for 4 weeks at the time when I did that, with no prior experience of any kind so by your definition I'm definitely crazier than a basket case... or could it be I'm just a tad more motivated than the average person every now and then? :p

build1.jpg

VU Sponsors