Become a Patron!

Help with vanilla wafer recipe!

dizzy2908

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey all! I'm new to the forum and new to DIY. I am trying to create a vanilla wafer and milk flavor. I've seen a lot of banana pudding recipes with vanilla wafers, but nothing for vanilla wafers and milk or vanilla wafers alone. I tried this recipe:

FA Cookie 4%
TFA Vanilla bean ice cream 4%
FA Cream fresh 1%
Vanillin .5%

While there is a slight flavor of vanilla wafer in the exhale, nothing seems prominent and it seems like a jumbled mess. Steeped 10 days. Any suggestions with these flavors or other flavors completely?

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cap sugar cookie and iwn biscuit would probably help make the wafer. Maybe a little cap vanilla custard

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just my personal opinion, but I find the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream to be too heavy a flavoring for a light vanilla. I really like FA Vanilla Classic for a simple vanilla, many seem to like the INW Shisha Vanilla, too. That's just based on my own taste and preference.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just my personal opinion, but I find the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream to be too heavy a flavoring for a light vanilla. I really like FA Vanilla Classic for a simple vanilla, many seem to like the INW Shisha Vanilla, too. That's just based on my own taste and preference.
I was about to suggest the same thing, Huck. I was also wondering if TFA Dairy Milk might help add to the milky flavor he seems to be missing.

dizzy2908

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cap sugar cookie and iwn biscuit would probably help make the wafer. Maybe a little cap vanilla custard
Thanks! I was worried that a custard would give too much of the pudding and not so much milky. I'll have to give it a try.

dizzy2908

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was about to suggest the same thing, Huck. I was also wondering if TFA Dairy Milk might help add to the milky flavor he seems to be missing.
I may have to order that. I figured I could mix some creams and get the dairy effect. I haven't tried the vanilla bean ice cream as a stand alone, I know, rookie mistake, but I figured I could knock out two with one with that.

dizzy2908

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you think I need the vanillin if I use vanilla classic or vanilla custard to cover the whole mix, or will the vanilla stand out enough using those?

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I may have to order that. I figured I could mix some creams and get the dairy effect. I haven't tried the vanilla bean ice cream as a stand alone, I know, rookie mistake, but I figured I could knock out two with one with that.
I'm sure you get more good suggestions. Maybe @Heabob will chime in on this.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Inw vanilla would also be nice. It gives a very nice vanilla bakery note.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Do you think I need the vanillin if I use vanilla classic or vanilla custard to cover the whole mix, or will the vanilla stand out enough using those?
I really don't think you'd need the vanillin, but nothing at all wrong with using it. Personally, I think Vanilla Classic does wonderfully, but it happens to be my fave vanilla. I haven't compared it side by side with the Shisha Vanilla, both are good. I should do that, LOL.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I really don't think you'd need the vanillin, but nothing at all wrong with using it. Personally, I think Vanilla Classic does wonderfully, but it happens to be my fave vanilla. I haven't compared it side by side with the Shisha Vanilla, both are good. I should do that, LOL.
I got a bottle of Shisha Vanilla a few weeks ago but haven't tried it yet. I've heard it's a very creamy vanilla and kinda mild.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Maybe replace the vanilla bean with 2% cap/tfa vanilla custard and 4% vanilla bourbon and skip the vanillin.
Don't have FA cookie but 4% sounds like too much.
I agree, that's at the high end for an FA flavoring. I'd be using about half that if I made it.

dizzy2908

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Think I'd try it with 1% INW Biscuit or 3% CAP Sugar Cookie v1 myself.
And either 2% INW Shisha Vanilla or INW Vanilla Bourbon, or a mixture of both.
3-4% TFA Vanilla Swirl may be another idea.

Don't think I'd use TFA Dairy Milk, or any Creams, unless you want it more "milky"

Probably gonna take a bit of fiddling tho.

Kndabutch3801

Member For 4 Years
Also a Sweetener like super sweet .. low like 1.5 - 2%.. just sweetens it up enuf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors