Become a Patron!

frrrosty

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just received this awful gadget, and nothing but problems. Why Kanger would make such a simple device so obstructively complicated is beyond me. You would think they'd want their customers to like the product, yet they do everything they can to make sure it fails.

What is with the press-5-times-fast bullcrap? Hey, Kanger, have you ever heard of an OFF/ON switch?

Anyway, This thing just keeps blinking. Yeah, yeah, it says if it blinks 3 times the resistance is less than the speed of light times two bananas, whatever. They DO NOT TELL YOU WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT.

It charges great, light goes green. Fine. I start to press the button and it immediately blinks 15 times. All the screws are tight. Brand new unit. WTF Kanger?

KEEP IT SIMPLE, KANGER. I bought this one because it looked like it didn't have the LCD screen and therefore wouldn't have the cheap-o electronics that doom these units to fail. I was wrong. I previously had the displeasure of owning a top-box mini, and when the supercomuter they put in it failed, I bypassed it with my own ON/OFF SWITCH, and lo and behold it worked! But the voltage is too high and the vapor is scorching hot. I will NEVER buy another kanger product. The only thing this piece of crap is good for is throwing through Kanger's office window.

If this doesn't work, I'm going straight to a Smok Alien 220w Starter Kit.

Anyone have any ideas? I did all the tips I've read in this forum, cleaned the contacts, tightened the already-tight screws, brand new batteries, fully charged. The coil simply will not fire up. Anyone have any successful mods to bypass the abysmal kanger electronics BS?

Kanger, you can jerk your wad 5 times fast then 15 times slow then stand this piece of sh*t it on the seat of a chair and SIT ON IT.

Model is a kanger drip box. There is no other designation on the box or in the miniature prinetd material.

Last edited:

frrrosty

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
More info would be helpful, like what model is the mod you have? As for pressing the fire button 5 times to power cycle, that's the was 99% of the regulated mods function.

It's a Drip Box starter kit. No other identifying marks. One button, one battery, some kind of sub-drip thing you squeeze at the bottom. I'm using Ultrafire LC 18650 2400 mAh 3.7V batteries.

I have a separate charger that came with the batteries, and a Fluke donotturnthisintoanad multimeter. These babies are charged, lemme tell ya. I put them in the kanger drip box, connect the charger, and will not even turn green now. Amazingly bad technology.

Last edited:

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's a Drip Box starter kit. No other identifying marks. One button, one battery, some kind of sub-drip thing you squeeze at the bottom. I'm using Ultrafire LC 18650 2400 mAh 3.7V.

I have a separate charger that came with the batteries, and Fluke multimeter. These babies are charged, lemme tell ya. I put them in the kanger drip box, connect the charger, and will not turn green now. Amazingly bad technology.
Are your batteries flat top or button top? I'm not a fan of any battery that has the word fire in the name, but that's just me. Flat top cells are the way to go in most mods. I don't have a drip box, but I'm sure someone will come around who has experience with it to help you.

frrrosty

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They're button top. Looking inside, it looks like it's designed for button top, and there's no problem with the battery fitting like there was with the top box. Plus, the first few minutes it was lighting green. Now it starts to blink three green as soon as I press it, but no vapor. This thing is pure junk.

Ultrafire batteries are for high end cameras, and they're the best money can buy.

Last edited:

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The 5 press is standard.

You said the batteries are brand new. I know you said they were charged, but most brand new batteries do not come charged. Just to verify, you charged them?

And the battery is in the right way?

Do you have another tank or rda that you can test on your mod? Or a backup coil you can put in it to verify that the coil is not bad?

Are you building coils or buying the premade ones?

The dripbox, to my knowledge, will fire down to 0.2ohm. So, possible your coils are below .2ohm?

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, I moved your thread to the Squonker sub-forum to maybe help get you in touch with someone else who has used this mod. As for the batteries, I still recommend flat top cells for it.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I moved your thread to the Squonker sub-forum to maybe help get you in touch with someone else who has used this mod. As for the batteries, I still recommend flat top cells for it.

I did not see him mention it having a button top on the battery. Maybe I missed it. Look like flat top batteries on a google search.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My drip box works fine. Is this your first mod? There are very few with a on and off switch nearly all use the 5 clicks

frrrosty

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did absolutely charge the batteries. I don't have another rig to test with, and the batteries are definitely button top.

It is inserted correctly. I turned it around and nothing at all. Placed it back in correctly, I get strange lights. I know about the three-blink-white lights, but this is now blinking three times green

frrrosty

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
tried a new coil, blinks three white..Well, I don't think it's the batteries. The three blinks indicate low ohms, whatever that means. And I still do not know what to do about "low resistance".

In any event, I'm not about to put good money after bad. This thing is junk. Kanger is probably owned by big tobacco, and they want these to fail. They certainly aren't interested in making them work.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you put your toptank tank on the dripbox mod and see if that works?

Might have a short in the 510 of the dripbox atty?

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Take your ohm meter to the dripbox atty and see what the actual resistance reads.
Thanks for trying to help him. I'm about to head to work. You guys have a good night.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Take atty off, clean both 510 connections with a qtip fairly agressively. Technically should make your resistance higher if it is dirty, but it is kinda one of those magic vape cures. Might help.

Otherwise, I am out of ideas. Did u buy at a shop or online?

Online, probably hosed. At a shop, they might be able to help you out.

Only other thing is get a flat top battery. But might have already damaged the mod with the button top.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mod can only work down to a certain resistance.
The coil MAY be a lower resistance than the mod can work.
Like @BKTOAD mentioned, check the resistance either on your toptank mod or your multimeter.
The entire issue may be no more than a bad coil.
possibly

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did, the coil works.

The coil on the toptank does work? Is that what you are saying?

If so, it is not a mod or battery problem. It is a problem with the dripbox rda.

What coil do you have in your toptank, and what does that coil read on your ohm meter?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mod can only work down to a certain resistance.
The coil MAY be a lower resistance than the mod can work.
Like @BKTOAD mentioned, check the resistance either on your toptank mod or your multimeter.
The entire issue may be no more than a bad coil.
possibly

He changed the coil once already in troubleshooting.

Possible he has 2 dud coils. But I would put my money on a short of some kind in the rda.

Unless he is screwing it to the mod as tight as possible and shifting something such as the pin isolator in a way that shorts it.

frrrosty

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The coil on the toptank does work? Is that what you are saying?

If so, it is not a mod or battery problem. It is a problem with the dripbox rda.

What coil do you have in your toptank, and what does that coil read on your ohm meter?

The unit was DOA, bought online. The coil works on the other kanger with the on/off switch (i just can't control the wattage)

The coil is what came with it, I removed the one that was already installed and replaced it with the spare in the kit.

I cleaned the bejeezus out of it, so that's not it. Battery is definitly making contact, there's a battery screw on the bottom to tighten it up, and when I do it blinks three times.

I think BKTOAD is correct, problem with the rda. I saw someone else with drip-box problems, very similar, he thought it was just a one-off lemon. Sorry to say, that's a pretty big coincidence.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The unit was DOA, bought online. The coil works on the other kanger with the on/off switch (i just can't control the wattage)

The coil is what came with it, I removed the one that was already installed and replaced it with the spare in the kit.

What i was previously suggesting is to put your toptank atomizer on your dripbox mod and see if it vapes.

If you modded your mod, you may have in essence bypassed the circuitry that will make it safe, essentially making it a mechanical mod. IDK exactly what you did to "fix" it, but may not be safe.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And give the resistance on your ohm meter of both the dripbox atty and the toptank atty.

frrrosty

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What i was previously suggesting is to put your toptank atomizer on your dripbox mod and see if it vapes.

If you modded your mod, you may have in essence bypassed the circuitry that will make it safe, essentially making it a mechanical mod. IDK exactly what you did to "fix" it, but may not be safe.

Oh, i got it backwards. Ok, so when I do that it blinks 15 times

frrrosty

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And give the resistance on your ohm meter of both the dripbox atty and the toptank atty.

Top box mod gives 0.5 ohms, drip box mod gives 0.6 ohms

And you're correct, the top box circuitry was completely bypassed. The problem now is that the top box has no wattage control, and vapes too hot. Thats why I don't use it. But no loss since it wasn't working at all, just like this damn drip box

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check the voltage on your battery with your meter. What does it say?

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You mentioned Ultrafire? The first thing I would do is take that battery out of the mod and never use it for vaping again. Ultrafire, Efest, Trustfire and many of those pretty looking batteries are mostly shit. It is very possible a protection circuit inside the Ultrafire battery is shutting down trying to power that coil (or even a short). Get yourself a Sony, LG or Samsung battery suitable for vaping.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You mentioned Ultrafire? The first thing I would do is take that battery out of the mod and never use it for vaping again. Ultrafire, Efest, Trustfire and many of those pretty looking batteries are mostly shit. It is very possible a protection circuit inside the Ultrafire battery is shutting down trying to power that coil (or even a short). Get yourself a Sony, LG or Samsung battery suitable for vaping.

Realistically, this is the best advice. Try this and report back.

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ultrafire batteries are for high end cameras, and they're the best money can buy.
Those batteries may be good for cameras, but not so good for vaping.
They are over rated amp, re-wraps.
The Drip Box is designed for flat tops.

frrrosty

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The

The battery is showing 4.1V, I've used Ultrafire for years in my camera and they work great. But I guess if you alll feel they're not right for these units, I'll try someof the others. Thanks for the help.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry if I come on too strong.

You're not using a camera. The device you are using in your mouth requires very high current from your batteries; much more than any camera would ever dream of using. Those batteries simply were not designed for the task, which is why I immediately recommend different ones. Besides problems which will arise from using a 'protected' battery (they will simply shut down due to excess current draw, then reset), you create a VERY DANGEROUS situation by doing just that.
Mooch's Recommended Batteries 09172016.jpg
Please read around this forum for LOTS of battery information. Mooch has done lots of work with batteries and his recommendations can be trusted.

I repeat, Ultrafire may be OK for cameras, but NOT FOR VAPING!

Tamer El-Meehy

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have two dripboxes and they work perfectly fine. I'd try the following:

- Not all atties make good contact with the 510. Get a small screwdriver and gently push (or actually pull) up the small 510 pin in your mod and try again.
- Ditto for the Ultrafire batteries...not good for vaping. I'd go with the brown LG, Sony or Samsung R.
- The Dripbox is designed for flat top batteries. It can however take button-tops but be careful not to over-tighten the battery cap in order to make it sit flush. As tempting as it is, it's a bad idea and can cause all sorts of problems with the battery and the fire switch.

Danimal77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my dripbox about a week ago no issues it's a real decent device. I would change the batteries and loosen the rda

VU Sponsors