Become a Patron!

help

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could I run a twisted coil build on a temple rda with the hammer of god

Absolutely not a "beginners device."

If you do not know why this device should scare you into perfection, this device is not for you.

The simple fact that you are asking this question tells me you probably should stay away from this (or any mechanical) mod until you have an idea of what is safe.

The lack of any detail or specs on your hypothetical twisted coils tells me that you FOR SURE have no business with this mod at this time. Research safe building. KNOW what you can safely build for the amperage of your batteries. And especially how that amperage is drawn from your batteries.

Simply "a twisted coil" can mean 1,000,000 things. Several twisted coils are safe to use. Several more twisted coils are super unsafe to use with catastrophic failure possible. But, failure would have nothing to do with the "twisted coil" and everything to do with the guy who put it in there with no idea what would happen to his batteries.

Research mechanical mod safety, research ohms law, have an ohm meter, have good batteries, and be overly cautious before using this mod. Or any mechanical mod.

Mechanical mods are only safe it the user knows how to use them 100% safely.

This is not a fucking toy to figure out as you go. Any "oops" moments will result in hospital bills. Not may, will. Absolutely will. Please do not use this until you KNOW 100% what you are doing.

Tired of reading news stories about people using equipment they have no business with blowing themselves up. Please, DO NOT BE ON THE NEWS!!!!!!!

If you are truly a "new vapor" get a regulated device. Now. Put the HOG in the closet until you know what you need to know to use it safely.

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Absolutely not a "beginners device."

If you do not know why this device should scare you into perfection, this device is not for you.

The simple fact that you are asking this question tells me you probably should stay away from this (or any mechanical) mod until you have an idea of what is safe.

The lack of any detail or specs on your hypothetical twisted coils tells me that you FOR SURE have no business with this mod at this time. Research safe building. KNOW what you can safely build for the amperage of your batteries. And especially how that amperage is drawn from your batteries.

Simply "a twisted coil" can mean 1,000,000 things. Several twisted coils are safe to use. Several more twisted coils are super unsafe to use with catastrophic failure possible. But, failure would have nothing to do with the "twisted coil" and everything to do with the guy who put it in there with no idea what would happen to his batteries.

Research mechanical mod safety, research ohms law, have an ohm meter, have good batteries, and be overly cautious before using this mod. Or any mechanical mod.

Mechanical mods are only safe it the user knows how to use them 100% safely.

This is not a fucking toy to figure out as you go. Any "oops" moments will result in hospital bills. Not may, will. Absolutely will. Please do not use this until you KNOW 100% what you are doing.

Tired of reading news stories about people using equipment they have no business with blowing themselves up. Please, DO NOT BE ON THE NEWS!!!!!!!
This times elevtybillion.

Well I'm glad you had that much time on your hands to write all that in worries. To fix my words up some. I have 22g kanthal with only 9 wraps and reads at .45 not so sure that would hold up on the hammer. That's what I was iffy about.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I'm glad you had that much time on your hands to write all that in worries. To fix my words up some. I have 22g kanthal with only 9 wraps and reads at .45 not so sure that would hold up on the hammer. That's what I was iffy about.

Why would it not "hold up?"

Like, is your concern "will it melt the coil" or "will it melt my batteries?"

I stand by my initial reply. Still concerned you do not know what you are in for, and in over your head with this mod until you do. If you do, in fact, have a 100% grasp on what you are doing, then that is awesome. If not, then wait til you do. This is posted in "beginners corner." This is not a beginners mod or beginners topic.

The fact that it is twisted has practically nothing to do with anything at all. If anything, it is safer than a round wire build simply due to having a lot more metal to it, reducing chances of the metal breaking down with high wattage.

With 20A batteries in a parallel series mod, I think you are safe at .45 ohms. But I do not know for sure. I do not have a parallel series device. And, therefore, did not do my due research about using one. But, since you DO have a parallel series device, YOU should know what is safe for that device. Before you start to use it.

It is my understanding that this type of device brings the best of both worlds. So the voltage of a series with the amperage of a parallel. So you would be pulling like 18ish amps from a 30 amp circuit at 8.2v with your .45ohm build.

But you should already know that.

And, maybe you do. But, to be honest, you are coming off as inexperienced with the safety aspect I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
It took me ah while to finally get one. Did as much research on them and safety standards as possible. Just a whole lot of different story's and not sure what to believe everyone has said many different things about the HOG mostly that there not safe nut then again safe if you know what your doing. I never do anything with this mod by myself I always have some buddy's that are way more into it or I go to my local mvp vapor. But even each vape shop says something different about best builds for it or what to do and what not to do. Just really hoping to stick to it and learn alot alot more about it all so one day I can apart of the many experts/pro

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mod is only as safe as the user, in the case of mechs especially.

It is good that you are enlisting help and doing research.

But, even so, you cannot trust everything just because someone is a "seasoned vaper". Replied to another post where guys were recommending .07 builds in a tube mod. Hopefully your buddies are more concerned with safety than those guys instead of just clouds and pulling 60A from 20A batteries.

Be safe.

A healthy fear of mech's is a good thing. Have one.

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
M
I for sure have a healthy fear of them. Was thinking about switching back to a wismec rx200 with tornado top while I take in as much information as needed to work with mechanicals.
most wise...

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

No offense.. but that sounds like an expert level mod. And an expert level vaper should already know if it is safe or not, ya know?

I think what BKToad was saying is that if you have to ask, then you shouldn't even try. You should KNOW what your mod, batteries, coil, tank, etc etc etc can handle safely. To be quite honest, I only have 1 mech. Single cell, and only use it to build cloud chasing builds. But.. I KNOW what the mod will handle, what the batteries can take, what resistance I have to build at and how many watts I need to push the coils I am using, AND what to do if something goes FUBAR.
I usually use a 200w regulated mod, but I have been eyeing a 360w box. Might take some begging to the wife. LOL... I just have to figure out if i want to waste the begging on a new mod... or ... ;)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
The mod is only as safe as the user, in the case of mechs especially.

It is good that you are enlisting help and doing research.

But, even so, you cannot trust everything just because someone is a "seasoned vaper". Replied to another post where guys were recommending .07 builds in a tube mod. Hopefully your buddies are more concerned with safety than those guys instead of just clouds and pulling 60A from 20A batteries.

Be safe.

A healthy fear of mech's is a good thing. Have one.
I hope that was in an expert forum. I might come off as an ass sometimes, but I have been known to tell people to google and research for info. Not that I am mean, or don't know, but if it is an advanced question, me knowing the answer does that person no good if they blow their face off. Ya know?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What you asked and the way you asked it made apparent that you're inexperienced and that's what got people here standing on their rear legs, what they're forgetting is that every mech user started somewhere.

You can build anything you want AS LONG AS IT'S SAFE!

What you need to do is learn what is safe beforehand.
Learn Ohm's law, get an ohm meter (obviously), learn the difference between a serial and a parallel mech box, use authentic LG/Sony/Samsung specifically suited for your requirements and know their actual amp rating.

Oh and what I could suggest for your next thread is to write thread with a less general subject, for future reference.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Yeah, just keep in mind, we get kind of tense when we get concerned that someone might be doing something beyond their level. We just don't want you getting injured. As nightshard said, build anything you want as long as it is safe, but you have to know if it is safe or not.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Start with a 4v mech, a dual coil rda and simple dual 24g kanthal builds. And ignore 95% of the advice you get from your local vape shop. Come ask us. Guarantee we have more knowledge and experience than any of those hipster idiots.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another new Mech user ................
I'm glad I keep this ready to just copy and paste .........

1. Ohm's law, http://www.steam-engine.org/ makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
2. Batteries, fucking batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!!
a. Avoid shit batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not ebay or amazon) sources, great places to get authentic are from
http://liionwholesale.com/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog
d. In Mod's with multipule batteries, marry them.
e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you pit it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your dick off ya know ;)
6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.
a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Another new Mech user ................
I'm glad I keep this ready to just copy and paste .........

1. Ohm's law, http://www.steam-engine.org/ makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
2. Batteries, fucking batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!!
a. Avoid shit batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not ebay or amazon) sources, great places to get authentic are from
http://liionwholesale.com/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog
d. In Mod's with multipule batteries, marry them.
e. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high with a lot of wire, no lower that .4 ohms.
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you pit it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your dick off ya know ;)
6. Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.
a. Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

Great advice here!
About the CDR though.. learn everything you can about your mod and use only samsung, lg or sony batteries. To be honest, if you asked me for help and were using any other brand, I couldn't help you. For your own good. Staying within the CDR is ideal, but there is a little bit of wiggle room. As long as you are using good, safe batteries.
This is an excellent page, done by Mooch about batteries....
http://vaping360.com/top-5-18650-batteries-for-vaping/
I know Mooch also has an account in this forum but mainly is in ECF. I recommend being in both. reddit sucks though. To many "thinks they know it alls".

By the way... avoid rewrapped / rebranded batteries. At best, they are factory seconds of "the big 3 brands" but have failed some tests or would have been sold as brand name batteries under the sony, lg or samsung brand name. At worse, they are some made in china knock off with unknown specs and chemistry.

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great advice here!
About the CDR though.. learn everything you can about your mod and use only samsung, lg or sony batteries. To be honest, if you asked me for help and were using any other brand, I couldn't help you. For your own good. Staying within the CDR is ideal, but there is a little bit of wiggle room. As long as you are using good, safe batteries.
This is an excellent page, done by Mooch about batteries....
http://vaping360.com/top-5-18650-batteries-for-vaping/
I know Mooch also has an account in this forum but mainly is in ECF. I recommend being in both. reddit sucks though. To many "thinks they know it alls".

By the way... avoid rewrapped / rebranded batteries. At best, they are factory seconds of "the big 3 brands" but have failed some tests or would have been sold as brand name batteries under the sony, lg or samsung brand name. At worse, they are some made in china knock off with unknown specs and chemistry.
Yep, there is "some" good information on Reddit but you have to put it through a filter and certainly double check here.

Try posting anything positive in regards to a Mech and instantly get 100+ down votes. Or anything that isn't in line with the Herd.

I'm still active there though and try to help when I can.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Yep, there is "some" good information on Reddit but you have to put it through a filter and certainly double check here.

Try posting anything positive in regards to a Mech and instantly get 100+ down votes. Or anything that isn't in line with the Herd.

I'm still active there though and try to help when I can.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
LOL try telling them that resistance matters when building a cloud chucking build on a regulated mod. They figure "just add more wraps" is the be all end all. Fact is, the chips output controller uses the resistance and voltage to push the watts. W=V2/R IOW.. if resistance is to high, you can't meet the max output of the mod. And of course there are the claptonites.. swearing clapton make bigger clouds. Simply put.. you can push more rocks up a hill in a wheelbarrow if there isn't a 10 yr old sitting in the wheelbarrow with them. LOL. Oh well. For vaping I stick to vaping forums. I've been building competition cloud builds for months now, but nooooooooo I don't know what Im talking about. lol. That guy that has been puffing a cigalike for 5 years obviously knows more. right?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL try telling them that resistance matters when building a cloud chucking build on a regulated mod. They figure "just add more wraps" is the be all end all. Fact is, the chips output controller uses the resistance and voltage to push the watts. W=V2/R IOW.. if resistance is to high, you can't meet the max output of the mod. And of course there are the claptonites.. swearing clapton make bigger clouds. Simply put.. you can push more rocks up a hill in a wheelbarrow if there isn't a 10 yr old sitting in the wheelbarrow with them. LOL. Oh well. For vaping I stick to vaping forums. I've been building competition cloud builds for months now, but nooooooooo I don't know what Im talking about. lol. That guy that has been puffing a cigalike for 5 years obviously knows more. right?
No shit, I love my Fused Claptons though. If you really look at it all it is just a parallel coil with a wrapping wire. But the nature of the Clapton is it's essentially a wick in itself, especially when you use ribbon wire. That is what increases the flavor and why I myself love them so much. But if you're just a Cloud Chaser you push for surface area, thus parallel builds are excellent for cloud chasers.

Main problem with Reddit most people there are just out for quick bullet points and not concerned with actually a full discussion of any details.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
No shit, I love my Fused Claptons though. If you really look at it all it is just a parallel coil with a wrapping wire. But the nature of the Clapton is it's essentially a wick in itself, especially when you use ribbon wire. That is what increases the flavor and why I myself love them so much. But if you're just a Cloud Chaser you push for surface area, thus parallel builds are excellent for cloud chasers.

Main problem with Reddit most people there are just out for quick bullet points and not concerned with actually a full discussion of any details.
exactly. Mind you, that guy never mentioned parallel coils.. just add more wraps and wire gauge didnt matter.. like.. add wraps of 28g until it was as wide as 8 (for example) wraps of 24g. And we KNOW how resistance work on higher gauge wires..Personally, I doubt that coil would even fire, probably to high for the mod.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
exactly. Mind you, that guy never mentioned parallel coils.. just add more wraps and wire gauge didnt matter.. like.. add wraps of 28g until it was as wide as 8 (for example) wraps of 24g. And we KNOW how resistance work on higher gauge wires..Personally, I doubt that coil would even fire, probably to high for the mod.
Pet peeve I have is "how many wraps do I need" and people who just answer x number or y number. If anyone has taken notice my responses to "how many wraps" posts are "steam engine is your best friend".

VU Sponsors