Become a Patron!

Help

callum.starkie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey there, I am trying to build a quad coil on a 454 big block with 26 gauge kanthal. I have a nemesis clone and efest 2500 mah batteries that are 35a and the cloud production is poor. Someone please help

Thanks, Callum

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Until the cloud chaser show up, if you are using the battery I think you are using, it is only rated at 20 amps continuouse.

And what is the resistance of your coils?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What is the ohms? 4 coils is a lot to heat up.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Can you give some specs of the coils and maybe a pic? Did you check the atty on an ohmmeter? Did you dry fire them after mounting them? Did they all glow in semi-unison? How many wraps on what size rod?

5 wraps per coil on a 1/8" rod or drill bit should be less than 0.2 ohms. If your reading is higher you might have a loose screw. I always re-snug the screws after dry firing (before wicking) and after the first good cloud session too. They tend to loosen after you heat and cool the atty a few times.

And also your batteries are 35A pulse (which means nothing) and 20A continuous. I run those same batteries at 0.18 ohms all day every day. I use dual parallel coils w 26ga but the amperage draw is really close to the same diameter and # of wrap quad coils.

callum.starkie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can you give some specs of the coils and maybe a pic? Did you check the atty on an ohmmeter? Did you dry fire them after mounting them? Did they all glow in semi-unison? How many wraps on what size rod?

5 wraps per coil on a 1/8" rod or drill bit should be less than 0.2 ohms. If your reading is higher you might have a loose screw. I always re-snug the screws after dry firing (before wicking) and after the first good cloud session too. They tend to loosen after you heat and cool the atty a few times.

And also your batteries are 35A pulse (which means nothing) and 20A continuous. I run those same batteries at 0.18 ohms all day every day. I use dual parallel coils w 26ga but the amperage draw is really close to the same diameter and # of wrap quad coils.

4b0e10e253423e12c7b3bb15c98cb991.jpg

I finally got it, I don't understand why it's at .14 ohms like it is fully tested no loose screws it's 26g kanthal twisted on 2.5mm with 4 wraps, beautiful flavour and massive clouds I've learned a lot more and just realised your reply now, I'm experimenting with different gauge wire like I'm currently using 28g and I can't seem to get as much vapour, I'm really into twisting my wire because standard micro coils don't seem to satisfy me with cloud production, do you have any ideas? I'm going to buy the sigelei 150w box mod but I know you don't need one for massive vapour production and I know if I get it right with my current set up there must be something i can do to get a .08?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
4b0e10e253423e12c7b3bb15c98cb991.jpg

I finally got it, I don't understand why it's at .14 ohms like it is fully tested no loose screws it's 26g kanthal twisted on 2.5mm with 4 wraps, beautiful flavour and massive clouds I've learned a lot more and just realised your reply now, I'm experimenting with different gauge wire like I'm currently using 28g and I can't seem to get as much vapour, I'm really into twisting my wire because standard micro coils don't seem to satisfy me with cloud production, do you have any ideas? I'm going to buy the sigelei 150w box mod but I know you don't need one for massive vapour production and I know if I get it right with my current set up there must be something i can do to get a .08?

Are you trying to run 0.08 ohms on a purple efest battery? If so, I can't help you with that because it's not safe. Period. Not only that, it's not required to blow clouds. I watched a guy preparing for a cloud comp w a 0.09 build and my 0.18 builds chuck harder. These batteries don't necessarily deliver the extra wattage when you drop the resistance that low. Battery sag.

You are correct though, you don't have to have a high wattage regulated mod to blow big clouds. You just have to find a coil build w high heat Flux, low heat capacity, and a resistance that doesn't over exert your battery.

I hadn't found a build that I liked better than parallel 26ga around 0.18 ohms but twisted parallel 28ga (8 strands total for 2 coils) might be my new favorite. It works fine on a mech (runs really cool) but for a mech I would have done a half wrap less to jump up the heat. On my ipv3 it's retarded. Even at 4.7V. It'll handle 165W just fine but doesn't chuck much harder than 120W.

20150221_235800_2_bestshot-1.jpg

Last edited:

callum.starkie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you trying to run 0.08 ohms on a purple event battery? If so, I can't help you with because it's not safe. Period. Not only that, it's not required to blow clouds. I watched a guy preparing for a cloud comp w a 0.09 build and my 0.18 builds chuck harder. These batteries don't necessarily deliver the extra wattage when you drop the resistance that low. Battery sag.

You are correct though, you don't have to have a high wattage regulated mod to blow big clouds. You just have to find a coil build w high heat Flux, low heat capacity, and a resistance that doesn't over exert your battery.

I hadn't found a build that I liked better than parallel 26ga around 0.18 ohms but twisted parallel 28ga (8 strands total for 2 coils) might be my new favorite. It works fine on a mech (runs really cool) but for a mech I would have done a half wrap less to jump up to heat. On my ipv3 is retarded. Even at 4.7V. It'll handle 165W just fine but doesn't chuck much harder than 120W.

20150221_235800_2_bestshot-1.jpg

I'm trying to find some Sony VTC batteries that are authentic and I get what you are saying, I know my only problem is my batteries but for the time being ill keep it above .1, I have made extra holes for my battery to vent for now and I'm just building over and over again to find my perfect vape. I might give the build you have showed me there a try later today. I have also ordered some 22g royal wire gunna give that 3 wraps parallel and see what happens there, I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks buddy

callum.starkie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm trying to find some Sony VTC batteries that are authentic and I get what you are saying, I know my only problem is my batteries but for the time being ill keep it above .1, I have made extra holes for my battery to vent for now and I'm just building over and over again to find my perfect vape. I might give the build you have showed me there a try later today. I have also ordered some 22g royal wire gunna give that 3 wraps parallel and see what happens there, I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks buddy

d5b905bc55bb231d2c7b81fe8d627de7.jpg
enjoying today's setup though! :)

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nice. 22ga parallel 3 wrap sounds waywaywaywayway lower than anything I would run personally. 24ga parallel 6 wrap was too low for my comfort level on a mech. If you're running a super sub ohm setup in that RDA You might want to try increasing the airflow both on the intake and drip tip before dropping below 0.2 even. If I'm running under 0.3 ohms I start opening it up. Under 0.2 I want a MutationX with either the V2 drip tip or a chuff cap.

callum.starkie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice. 22ga parallel 3 wrap sounds waywaywaywayway lower than anything I would run personally. 24ga parallel 6 wrap was too low for my comfort level on a mech. If you're running a super sub ohm setup in that RDA You might want to try increasing the airflow both on the intake and drip tip before dropping below 0.2 even. If I'm running under 0.3 ohms I start opening it up. Under 0.2 I want a MutationX with either the V2 drip tip or a chuff cap.
558bcf695a936518506688a659273b2a.jpg
I don't know what it's called but I have folded 26g kanthal in half and wrapped it 4 times exactly the same both sides and it's coming out at .17 and it's fantastic, I've took my drop tip off and I've opened all 4 air holes as if I was running quad coil and I've been vaping for hours and it seems like my batteries aren't even trying. What are your thoughts on build like these and do you know the name?

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't know what it's called but I have folded 26g kanthal in half and wrapped it 4 times exactly the same both sides and it's coming out at .17 and it's fantastic, I've took my drop tip off and I've opened all 4 air holes as if I was running quad coil and I've been vaping for hours and it seems like my batteries aren't even trying. What are your thoughts on build like these and do you know the name?

Yep. That's one of my favorite builds. That's called "parallel coils". Two pieces of wire parallel to each other wrapped into a coil. You did dual parallels (2 pieces of wire per coil). There are triple parallels which are 3 pieces of wire and some people have done quads, I've even seen 6 pieces of wire paralleled. Even 3 is crazy low resistance (use 30ga) and they are a royal pain to wrap. Each extra wire drops the resistance (a lot) and makes the coil a lot harder to wrap. Riptripper did a quad parallel and IIRC used 30ga, 10 wraps. That's technically 40 wraps total. It barely fit in his atty. Parallel coils are better than regular coils IMHO. In every way. The last build I posted a pic of was parallel but with twisted wire so there's 4 pieces per coil. It's over 2 ft of 28ga Kanthal and is still only at 0.2 ohms.

The best time you can spend learning about coils (aside from building a testing them of course) is running numbers at http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?p=roundmulti&s=dp&r=0.17&hfnw=103&str=2&awg=26&id=3.175. If the link works correctly you'll see your last build already inputted. Guessed 1/8" on the diameter. Pay attention to the Heat Flux and Heat Capacity numbers. You want a high flux (remember to calculate your wattage based on your resistance and set it correctly, in your case atm 103W in a perfect world, probably more like 90-95 in reality) and a low heat capacity. Heat flux is the hottness of the vape (I shoot for 125-250 metric). Heat capacity is the speed at which it gets hot (and cools off). I try to keep that below 75 if possible.

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to make sense of that last paragraph with my shitty writing skills but there it is. Godspeed.

callum.starkie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got a mutation x coming hopefully today or tomorrow so I'll try that build 28g twisted dual coil parallel build? Sounds fun

VU Sponsors