Become a Patron!

Helping my loved one quit the ciggs, what mg of nic?

Hi forum. My fiance has been a smoker for almost 2 decades. I would like to help her cut down or even quit the ciggs. What mg of nicotine should I use to do this? Also recommended inexpensive vape juices to try?

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
really depends on the hardware, for most people

MTL, high ohm, low watt, you might want 15-20mg or higher
DTL sub ohm high watts, you might want 3-6mg

WTA might help too

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I'd start with 24mg mtl or 12mg with dl. Madtown Vapes has good juices for beginners who generally like sweeter juices. They also let you tailor the juice for pg/vg, nic mg, and added flavor shots. Good vendor I was always was pleased with.
https://www.madtownvap.com/

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
When I sought my first vape gear I thought I would want or need a tobacco flavor in order to give me the best chance to quit smoking.
Wasn't the case and never has been. Doesn't even sound good to me.

I like The Sauce LA as well. Make an account and sign up for emails. Their only emails I get are those that announce a new sale/coupon code and they are usually 70 sometimes 80% off and that's the only time I stock up.
This is a good add-on https://thesaucela.com/collections/...ce-la-ejuice-best-sellers-30ml-unicorn-3-pack

Vape wild has really good juice also, pricier, altho I don't know what kind of sales they may run. They do have this welcome pack for new shopper. You can get different flavors,,,and nic levels in case you want to mix 2 together to find your sweet spot.
https://www.vapewild.com/welcome-sample-pack/

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd point out: everything said is taken with a grain of salt; you can't make someone else QUIT; and they won't quit without tasting what they expect to taste, let alone getting the nicotine they expect to get.

I'd point out: everything said is taken with a grain of salt; you can't make someone else QUIT; and they won't quit without tasting what they expect to taste, let alone getting the nicotine they expect to get.

I know what you mean about not being able to make em quit. And she sure does love her nicotine lol.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Id get her just trying the vape first. Not to quit cus that wont happen till she is ready to. But id agree a higher ohm less wattage. 18 to 20 mg nic. 50/50 mix. Once she is getting her nic fix from vape it will prob happen naturally switching over.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
The allergies and sensitivity are actually pretty rare.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Cross that road if you get to it.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
she sure does love her nicotine

Vaping is different than smoking and it makes many people cough when trying to vape for the first time.

This leads some to give up on vaping entirely.

I have seen this happen with family and friends on numerous occasions.

Some people can't go directly from smoking to doing huge sub ohm hits of strawberry ice cream eliquid.
Some people even have trouble with the smaller devices with coughing.

You may want to look into a 24mg/ml to 35mg/ml nicotine salt eliquid.

The reason I would suggest this is because the nicotine salt eliquid is less harsh at higher nicotine levels.
This lessens the chance of coughing and may help her adapt to vaping more easily.

Once adapted to the change then she may want to look into different vaping styles, devices, and flavors

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Im in the slow process of switching my wife from a 27 year menthol addict to vape. Its a slow road. First im figuring out wat works for her cus she cant do big dtl hits. So now i have 1 tank that hits best at lower wattage and has a mint flavor in it. I leave her ciggs on the other end of the house and when she asks i say just try this. Trying to get her happy getting her nic from it. Soon enough shel just vape.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Vaping is different than smoking and it makes many people cough when trying to vape for the first time.

This leads some to give up on vaping entirely.

I have seen this happen with family and friends on numerous occasions.

Some people can't go directly from smoking to doing huge sub ohm hits of strawberry ice cream eliquid.
Some people even have trouble with the smaller devices with coughing.

You may want to look into a 24mg/ml to 35mg/ml nicotine salt eliquid.

The reason I would suggest this is because the nicotine salt eliquid is less harsh at higher nicotine levels.
This lessens the chance of coughing and may help her adapt to vaping more easily.

Once adapted to the change then she may want to look into different vaping styles, devices, and flavors
So true.

A key is to not take a hit that causes discomfort. Even if you only exhale a small amount of vapor or even no vapor, your lungs are still getting at least some nic and vapor, and getting used to vape vs smoke, even if you don't see it. Go by feel and not by any vapor you may or may not see on the exhale. Go by what's comfortable. When you feel like you want a cig, always go for the vape first and vape as much as possible, then a cig. Over time you'll get used to more and more vapor, smoke less and less, and hopefully get to that point where you don't reach for the cig. The time it takes varies. Some right away, some a week or 2, some longer. Don't let her don't give up.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Some laggy double post....

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So true.

A key is to not take a hit that causes discomfort. Even if you only exhale a small amount of vapor or even no vapor, your lungs are still getting at least some nic and vapor, and getting used to vape vs smoke, even if you don't see it. Go by feel and not by any vapor you may or may not see on the exhale. Go by what's comfortable. When you feel like you want a cig, always go for the vape first and vape as much as possible, then a cig. Over time you'll get used to more and more vapor, smoke less and less, and hopefully get to that point where you don't reach for the cig. The time it takes varies. Some right away, some a week or 2, some longer. Don't let her don't give up.
After a lil bit ciggs start tasting and smelling worse and worse. To b honest i pretty well hate how my wifes smoking smell now.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Im in the slow process of switching my wife from a 27 year menthol addict to vape. Its a slow road. First im figuring out wat works for her cus she cant do big dtl hits. So now i have 1 tank that hits best at lower wattage and has a mint flavor in it. I leave her ciggs on the other end of the house and when she asks i say just try this. Trying to get her happy getting her nic from it. Soon enough shel just vape.

Your wife sounds like me back in 2011. That's when I started vaping. Came to VU a year ago February, and THAT'S when I learned to vape DL. LOL

I used Nautilus Mini tanks and Kabuki clones (still love and vape one of my Kabukis on a mod at my office) on small Sigelei single-18650 mods for MTL vaping, usually with 12 mg nic and wattage at about 12.5. I had started at 18 mg and dropped to 12 after a couple of years.

Oddly enough (and I was a menthol tobacco smoker) I never liked menthol tobacco ejuice very much. Right off I loved cinnamon flavors, and still do. Also liked a funky, piney, citrus-y thing called "Grandpa's Mix" that Madvapes produced. No one could figure out what was in that juice. Sounds awful to describe, it almost smelled like Pine-Sol, but omg it was a terrific flavor. I'd have no idea where to start to try to clone it. lol

And yes, my husband still smokes, and that damn nasty smell makes me a little crazy, especially if he lights up in my car.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Your wife sounds like me back in 2011. That's when I started vaping. Came to VU a year ago February, and THAT'S when I learned to vape DL. LOL

I used Nautilus Mini tanks and Kabuki clones (still love and vape one of my Kabukis on a mod at my office) on small Sigelei single-18650 mods for MTL vaping, usually with 12 mg nic and wattage at about 12.5. I had started at 18 mg and dropped to 12 after a couple of years.

Oddly enough (and I was a menthol tobacco smoker) I never liked menthol tobacco ejuice very much. Right off I loved cinnamon flavors, and still do. Also liked a funky, piney, citrus-y thing called "Grandpa's Mix" that Madvapes produced. No one could figure out what was in that juice. Sounds awful to describe, it almost smelled like Pine-Sol, but omg it was a terrific flavor. I'd have no idea where to start to try to clone it. lol

And yes, my husband still smokes, and that damn nasty smell makes me a little crazy, especially if he lights up in my car.
She likes my blueberry mint. Wich is good cus i always have some mixed. Its one of my simple go to juices. I just am getting her used to getting a nic fix from vape atm. Its a slow process. But she gets jealous of how fast i can satisfy my nic fix and b done.

bikerboogieman

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
When I started vaping, the local shop recommended I start with 6 mg of nicotine, I said fine and got 2 bottles of peach flavored juice. Come to find out, they gave me 3 mg nicotine bottles. I didn't realize this and haven't smoked since. I became aware of this when I went back to buy more juice and asked for 6 mg of nicotine as that's what I thought they gave me in the first place. I asked them how do you know how much nicotine is in each bottle and they pointed it out. The new bottles have 6 mg on the label. I got home and checked the first bottles I got and sure enough they have 3 mg on them. I would have been fine with all along with 3 mg of nicotine and now will have to use up these 4 new bottles that have 6 mg and then go back to 3 mg. Currently I use a Cascade One Plus vape pen and have ordered a Polar mod. Don't know if this makes any difference as I think both are sub ohm tanks. My goal is to eventually go nicotine free hopefully........
:zombie:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might want to let her try some Hawk Sauce from MT. Baker. It helped me get over the hump. I wasn't a huge menthol smoker but found the menthol helped to get away from cigarettes. I smoked, rubbed snuff, chawed quids for around 35 years. I think about two weeks ago I might have had one quarter of a cigarette I bummed 'just because". It was the first a few months. I don't beat myself over an occasional slip here and there. Sometimes you'll still want the "taste" & "appeal" of a cigarette.

I use strictly 15 mg to 18 mg per ml of nicotine in my juice, lending more to 18 mg being constant. I use direct lung hitting, used to do MTL and then DL through MTL atties. Now I find a chucker and play whomper room all day, night. If the Hawk Sauce is too costly, look up ECBlends. they got 5 ml bottles for about $2.50, gets you a sample at least so you can try lots of flavors.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most people use 12 or 18 mg at first, if they are quitting smoking.

Aiming along to @jojo5353 as well here, please keep up @jojo5353, I walk this way, that, and talk to several people all at once, I try not mincing words because they seldom taste better afterwards. yeah, I eat a lot of my words, or make them feed me. So, i at times will talk to someone while at the same time doing it to convey to someone else, like now ... seems I'm talking to @nadalama ,

Then, you get weirdos like me that stay with 18 mg per ml. Not saying anyone needs to "vape my way or the highway". it's just saying what I do. I don't see myself going lower on nicotine, at least not sooner than later.

I tried 12 mg once, then 6 mg, it was a mistake ... there was a hurricane here, a volcano eruption there. So, nope not gonna do it, to borrow from Mr. Bush Sr, "wouldn't be prudent."

But point in fact @jojo5353 , I was talking to you but including @nadalama ... this is how I like to have conversations, inclusive. We're all one family and we all need included. Now, I've shown you some hint as to how magic works @jojo5353 you happen to know where to get some peach flavored 'shine down your neck of the holler? ;) :) I like some good all day drinking peach shine. Been meaning to find it but just been kind of going all over, not realizing sometimes caring for self is something we each need to do.

If you do know @jojo5353 send me a PM, I'll PM back an address, I think it'll be mine, if not I'm sure I'll be welcomed at any given. *grins, chuckles* Mutts like me usually are like that. Might even toss you some PayPal info or such to settle up if need be. understand I have to ask my wife regarding money. I don't have to technically. I choose letting her deal with the money though. I can be responsible, am responsible for a lot of different things too. So me letting a team mate handle something isn't shirking, it's knowing where I focus my effort to be more effective.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors