Here we go again......

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hospital internet sucks and that's where we are for our bi-/tri-annual visit with the husband over his asthma. Got pretty serious this time, he's in ICU on a ventilator, but they hope that's out today, been here since yesterday afternoon.
He's never smoked a cigarette in his life, yet has been told he was born with the lungs of a 70-year-old lifetime smoker. Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel a bit guilty about that. I think of all the cigs I huffed in over 27 years, as well as the other "things" I've smoked, yet he's the one lying here with a tube down his throat. Every day is a struggle to breathe, even with all his meds, and the changes in seasons put him in here nearly every time.
I'm getting pretty good at stealth vaping- hiding in the bathroom or behind a pillow and blowing it down the front of my shirt - but I can't help but look at him and wonder "Why?" When I started vaping he was thrilled, although he never once said anything about me smoking. He's still my biggest cheerleader, never says a word about anything I buy, be it a mod or another tank, or a massive flavor order, or even another bottle of nic every other payday. He supports me 110% and that's a very large part of why I've been successful with this. But I still have to wonder why it's him going through all this and not me. I deserve it.
Appreciate the ear, and would certainly appreciate the prayers.....;)

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My heart and prayers go out to you Teresa. Hope the hubby gets to feeling better.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Wow, that really stinks!

And my best wishes for both you and your Hubby!!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Deepest deepest prayers for you and Hubby

tumblr_nbmxczNhal1sk5l76o1_500_zpscovasvbx.jpg

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I said a prayer for you and your husband.

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Prayers your way. I go in the hospital a lot and have used your vaping methods.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dont want to sound like a dick, but maybe you should take the vape outside for his sake? Im sure the pg and vg in the air cant be helping his situation.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
(PG is in asthma inhalers)

Teresa, so sorry to hear your troubles.
Vg and flavorings are not. Vg is what people complian about chest tightness and weezyness about.

starrelabelletxlady

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hospital internet sucks and that's where we are for our bi-/tri-annual visit with the husband over his asthma. Got pretty serious this time, he's in ICU on a ventilator, but they hope that's out today, been here since yesterday afternoon.
He's never smoked a cigarette in his life, yet has been told he was born with the lungs of a 70-year-old lifetime smoker. Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel a bit guilty about that. I think of all the cigs I huffed in over 27 years, as well as the other "things" I've smoked, yet he's the one lying here with a tube down his throat. Every day is a struggle to breathe, even with all his meds, and the changes in seasons put him in here nearly every time.
I'm getting pretty good at stealth vaping- hiding in the bathroom or behind a pillow and blowing it down the front of my shirt - but I can't help but look at him and wonder "Why?" When I started vaping he was thrilled, although he never once said anything about me smoking. He's still my biggest cheerleader, never says a word about anything I buy, be it a mod or another tank, or a massive flavor order, or even another bottle of nic every other payday. He supports me 110% and that's a very large part of why I've been successful with this. But I still have to wonder why it's him going through all this and not me. I deserve it.
Your post touched my heart. I was in the same situation with my husband a few months ago. My husband is a heavy smoker, and also 15 years older than me. Vaping got me completely off cigarettes over two years ago, but my husband can't seem to quit. He almost died last year, and going through him being intubated twice within a month was the scare of my life.

I was stealth vaping at the hospital, too, and wanted to chain vape in that situation.

My prayers go out to you. Truly, that's what got me through. He was told to quit smoking, and did for about a month, but I understand how hard it is.

starrelabelletxlady

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dont want to sound like a dick, but maybe you should take the vape outside for his sake? Im sure the pg and vg in the air cant be helping his situation.
Is that a medical opinion? Dude, that's what the ecigarette industry is fighting right now, and a member of the vaping community believes that?
PG and VG won't hurt her husband, and if you believe that why do you vape? That was really MEAN of you to say to this woman.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is that a medical opinion? Dude, that's what the ecigarette industry is fighting right now, and a member of the vaping community believes that?
PG and VG won't hurt her husband, and if you believe that why do you vape? That was really MEAN of you to say to this woman.
You absolutly insane if you think removing ANY irritants wont help his situation. Think of it this way. Pollen may not bother you or me, but could send him to a full blown attack. I know alot about asthma.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So sorry to hear that Teresa ... please don't blame yourself or feel like you were/are more deserving of this affliction. There are many cases where people have been diagnosed with aliments that defy reason or explanation.

Healing vibes sent your way.

HealingVibes_in_a_box.jpg

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To clarify, I wasnt blaming her for the situation, merely suggesting her to keep the vaping outside to keep the air clean as possible for him.

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I work in a hospital and I wouldn't vape near patients. I don't know enough about recirculation and don't think for a second vaping is 100% safe.
I am still coughing shit up and the pollen has probably made me sick this week. I feel safer using FA but the colors have just switched from brown to clear.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You guys are awesome, thank you. They put him in a room yesterday and he may get to go home tomorrow.
He's had these problems since birth. His mother smoked like a freight train the whole time she was pregnant with him and never let up his entire life. Even when I smoked, I did it outside once we got together. He'll be the first to tell you the vape doesn't bother him and he'll definitely speak up when something in his immediate environment disturbs his breathing. He asked me to make him a juice with no nic once because he wanted to try it - to which I firmly answered "NO." After I explained that he would be introducing moisture into his lungs, he agreed that it wouldn't be a good idea with his condition.
He's improving, and I do so appreciate the thoughts and prayers. :)

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hope it all works out, and you guys can go home soon.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
saying a prayer for both of the women and their husbands. Hope everything works out for you guys.

Hey! it's just Ray...

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You guys are awesome, thank you. They put him in a room yesterday and he may get to go home tomorrow.
He's had these problems since birth. His mother smoked like a freight train the whole time she was pregnant with him and never let up his entire life. Even when I smoked, I did it outside once we got together. He'll be the first to tell you the vape doesn't bother him and he'll definitely speak up when something in his immediate environment disturbs his breathing. He asked me to make him a juice with no nic once because he wanted to try it - to which I firmly answered "NO." After I explained that he would be introducing moisture into his lungs, he agreed that it wouldn't be a good idea with his condition.
He's improving, and I do so appreciate the thoughts and prayers. :)
Sorry I could only like that once. :)

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad to hear things are turning around for you guys! Continued best wishes that you and hubby make it out of there soon. My mother-in-law just went in tonight, looking like liver failure (no, she's not/never was a drinker)...hopefully a few days without her cigs will get her to take another look at all the hardware I've bought and set up for her since the wife and I quit.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That was a very interesting read, thank you. I've often pondered over some type of asthma medication that could be used in an atomizer. PG is a definite ingredient in inhalers, so why not get the medicine through a PV? But then there's the issue with moisture being inhaled as well. Or is it enough moisture to have a negative impact? Believe me, if I could come up with a juice that would be beneficial to his condition I'd make him juice all day long!
My vaping doesn't bother him at all. I could see it if we were in cramped quarters and him breathing the vapor - like a closet - but my "clouds" seldom travel more than a couple of feet from my face before they disappear. I'm not a cloud chaser, I'm a full flavor gal.
So many questions and so few answers from entities one can trust....

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad to hear things are turning around for you guys! Continued best wishes that you and hubby make it out of there soon. My mother-in-law just went in tonight, looking like liver failure (no, she's not/never was a drinker)...hopefully a few days without her cigs will get her to take another look at all the hardware I've bought and set up for her since the wife and I quit.
Isn't it something how that happens? I remember when the late Christopher Reeves' wife died of lung cancer, even though she'd never smoked. The media quickly blamed it on second hand smoke, HAD to be cigarettes, one way or another. Some physical conditions are just going to happen, cigarettes aren't to blame for everything, they just aren't conducive to better health, and in many cases they are the direct cause of disease. But bodily organs aren't permanent by any means. They're eventually going to fail and likely quicker when we smoke, drink, use illegal drugs, etc. Cancer is cancer, it can go where it wants whether you smoke or not. A poor diet over the course of many years can cause liver damage, heart damage, pancreatic failure, and many more. And sometimes we're just born with bad parts, like the husband and his lungs.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great news about hubby's improvement, power of prayer and having such a wonder wife:):) May he continue to get better:)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are most correct! (About the prayers, for sure - ) I refuse to let him give up. I'm not done torturing him yet...lol!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I have to agree, too.. and send you a ton of thoughts and prayers, Teresa..
we may never know the why's.. but know, things are brought about for various reasons..
Be happy you both love each other.. and spend all the time together as you both can..

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have to agree, too.. and send you a ton of thoughts and prayers, Teresa..
we may never know the why's.. but know, things are brought about for various reasons..
Be happy you both love each other.. and spend all the time together as you both can..
Aw, thank you.....you have a wise soul, li'l lady. I like you...:)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am happy to report that the Mr. is now resting comfortably on our couch....:)

So sorry to hear that Teresa ... please don't blame yourself or feel like you were/are more deserving of this affliction. There are many cases where people have been diagnosed with aliments that defy reason or explanation.

Healing vibes sent your way.

View attachment 19496

And I thought of this picture with a very large grin as I checked the mail today. There was a box inside containing a new nebulizer I'd ordered for him a few days ago.....healing vibes......:):)

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am happy to report that the Mr. is now resting comfortably on our couch....:)

And I thought of this picture with a very large grin as I checked the mail today. There was a box inside containing a new nebulizer I'd ordered for him a few days ago.....healing vibes......:):)

That is great news, Teresa!!!

I love it; see it works! :) :)

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Teresa P I'm sending my best wishes your way for your husband.

Please try not to assume guilt for this situation. Some people are more blessed genetically than others. I smoked for only 2 years before it almost killed me. My boyfriend, on the other hand, has been smoking for 50 years and his lungs are still clear. Go figure.

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sending good thoughts!

cindycated

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Isn't it something how that happens? I remember when the late Christopher Reeves' wife died of lung cancer, even though she'd never smoked. The media quickly blamed it on second hand smoke, HAD to be cigarettes, one way or another. Some physical conditions are just going to happen, cigarettes aren't to blame for everything, they just aren't conducive to better health, and in many cases they are the direct cause of disease. But bodily organs aren't permanent by any means. They're eventually going to fail and likely quicker when we smoke, drink, use illegal drugs, etc. Cancer is cancer, it can go where it wants whether you smoke or not. A poor diet over the course of many years can cause liver damage, heart damage, pancreatic failure, and many more. And sometimes we're just born with bad parts, like the husband and his lungs.
Teresa, so glad to hear that he's home and doing better. It's just that time of year for this kind of crap to happen. Smooth sailing from here on out. ;)
Meanwhile, ran into this short little slide show on lung cancer that reminded me of this thread: http://www.healthgrades.com/conditions/7-nonsmoking-causes-of-lung-cancer?cid=t6_outrss1

haha we just found a big ole bag of pancake mix that's about to expire, so I was looking for other things to do with it besides pancakes. This article just happened to be at the bottom.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Teresa, so glad to hear that he's home and doing better. It's just that time of year for this kind of crap to happen. Smooth sailing from here on out. ;)
Meanwhile, ran into this short little slide show on lung cancer that reminded me of this thread: http://www.healthgrades.com/conditions/7-nonsmoking-causes-of-lung-cancer?cid=t6_outrss1

haha we just found a big ole bag of pancake mix that's about to expire, so I was looking for other things to do with it besides pancakes. This article just happened to be at the bottom.
Very good read, thank you! Yes, unfortunately a lot of people think of asthma as a "kid's condition" and in some cases that's true. Many of them have it but outgrow it. More serious forms grow with the kid and it becomes a very serious adult condition. The changes in seasons are an inconvenience to some people, bringing on sneezing, headaches, runny noses, watery eyes - to severe asthmatics, it can be deadly.

BlackRibbonMist

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My Thought and prayers are with you Theresa, so sorry this is happening but you have a bunch of friends who will always listen when you need. I wish your husband good luck with the rest of his recovery!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're very sweet, thank you....:)

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, I'm always late. I'm beyond thrilled that the dude is home. Is he still doing well?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He's still getting his strength back but he did go back to work a couple of days ago. It's still a slow time of year right now here so he isn't over taxing himself and can knock off a little early if he needs to. He'll get there, he always does....:)

VU Sponsors