Become a Patron!

Hey everyone.... This is getting expensive

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years
My name is Tim I started vaping about 3 weeks ago. I'm still trying to figure out what I like as far as flavors go. I started DIY as soon as I purchases my first mod (Kanger topbox) which I ended up not liking because I wanted more flavor than I couldn't get it to push. I then purchased the 60watt dripbox (kanger), better flavor but still not enough for my liking. Now I have a Smok Alien with the baby tfv8 running the t8 coil. Much better flavor and battery life. All together with flavorings , nicotine, mods, and multiple rdas. I'm in over a grand. That means I have to stick around a while to get my money worth out of it. So I want to thank everyone on this forum for all the helpful information everyone has already posted, it's helping out alot.

PS. HIC cost me another $80 because I had to buy the flavorings to try his recipes :vapemail:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Welcome to the rabbit hole ;) :cheers:

Pursuit of that perfect vape is a dangerous thing for your wallet hehe

See you bought a Dripbox for squonking there... RDAs are the way to go for flavour so I've read. I was recommended the hadaly for best flavour, goon lP coming up behind

Tanks wise it's all subjective uwell crown is my favourite so far for taste even better than my beast tank

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years
actually I hate the sqonking thing lol wish I never bought the mod I just changed out the original rda with a velocity clone I bought to try and already took out the sqonk pin and put in the regular one. I wanted to drip to change my flavors not sqonk the same flavor all day. so now I just use the alien at work and drip all my flavors when I get home between 2 rdas. 1 for fruits and 1 for desserts

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Sounds good buddy whatever works for you

Maybe look into RDTA as well holds a small amount of juice best of both worlds :)

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years
thanks I will that actually sounds pretty good. the other thing about squonking is it leaks all over the place even into the battery chamber but the rdta sounds pretty good

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's just a matter of getting an initial good setup and then you can ease up on the purchases (or not).
Still don't get what you spent a grand on, multiple RDAs what RDAs?

Whitesoxfan2579

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome Tim. Yes, the initial investment is a bit more but in the long run it will save you.

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years
It's just a matter of getting an initial good setup and then you can ease up on the purchases (or not).
Still don't get what you spent a grand on, multiple RDAs what RDAs?
Well most of that was on diy stuff couple hundred in flavors. Nicotine vg and pg was another hundred.coil master kit, dropper bottles, nitecore d4 charger 6 lg hg2 batteries, tool box to keep all my stuff in.there's another few hundred. Syringes tvf8 baby coils, nitrile gloves, kanger clapton coils. 3 box mods.... it adds up I have a spread sheet on my computer after my flavor order today I'm at $960 and some change

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years
Also I have a velocity rda , kanger rda, tsunami 24 on the way then add in my vape stand I bought and I'm over a grand but not by much yet....get my profit share Friday I'll be adding another mod then I'm sure

Last edited:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to the VU. The initial investment can be steep but over the long run it is cheaper. I did 2 cartons a week so it didn't take long to brake even especially with DIY.

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the VU. The initial investment can be steep but over the long run it is cheaper. I did 2 cartons a week so it didn't take long to brake even especially with DIY.
I think it's becoming more of a hobby than my 1 pack a day lol oh well I like trying trying outo the different styles. I can still pay my bills so I guess it doesn't hurt. Q

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think it's becoming more of a hobby

The rabbit hole is deep my friend. 19 mods and counting, 32 tanks/rda's 28 batteries, 8gal PG/VG and 163 flavors. Not to mention all the stuff that goes with it. But in a bit over two years and I still spent less than Cig's/cigar's would have cost. It really gets cheap with DIY.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most people like to get the feel of things before making it an investment.

Getting everything in advance in regards to gear might not be the best choice since it's a fast evolving market.
While American innovation may have been reduced (thanks to Obama and his pals), the Chinese are still at it, full steam ahead.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Welcome to the rabbit hole ;) :cheers:

Pursuit of that perfect vape is a dangerous thing for your wallet hehe

See you bought a Dripbox for squonking there... RDAs are the way to go for flavour so I've read. I was recommended the hadaly for best flavour, goon lP coming up behind

Tanks wise it's all subjective uwell crown is my favourite so far for taste even better than my beast tank

I myself just got the Dripbox. Getting some pretty good flavor from it as well.

But the devil is in the details and as soon as they arrive, I am installing some Clapton coils in it to see if I can get further improvement.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Getting everything in advance in regards to gear might not be the best choice since it's a fast evolving market.
While American innovation may have been reduced (thanks to Obama and his pals), the Chinese are still at it, full steam ahead.
It's going to be an interesting year, let's see if the new Admin will put the FDA in their place. Honestly though I remain highly skeptical due to that Stool Sample Pence is the VP. But I'm hoping Ron Johnson really continues to push and we get some sanity back, but I still have a sick feeling we're still fucked.

Time will tell but I do have a very respectable FDA Apocalypse Stash, I'm just hoping that it turns out to be obsolete.

We shall see.

In the mean time though the advice still remains to have a stash cause the government does what it does and that is to fuck over the people they rule.

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years

But the devil is in the details and as soon as they arrive, I am installing some Clapton coils in it to see if I can get further improvement.
I couldn't get the claptons to fire properly in the 60watt mod had to put the rda on my alien and fire at around 75 to heat it up quicker. The dripbox heated them so slow you have to take a big draw for small flavor production

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

@UncleRJ do update me/ everyone with your thoughts in your squonk thread I'm yet to purchase one ;)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I couldn't get the claptons to fire properly in the 60watt mod had to put the rda on my alien and fire at around 75 to heat it up quicker. The dripbox heated them so slow you have to take a big draw for small flavor production

Are you talking about the Dripbox 160 here?

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years

I do too. Most of my investment was in Diy materials. Which I decided from day one I wanted to do instead of buying overpriced juice. I'm still considering another mod though because I get tired of switching out tanks

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ahh ok not the one I was looking at was looking at the dual battery version ...although must admit I'm not a fan of kangertech products so far everything I've used has been woeful but there is a real lack of choice for higher wattage regulated squonk mods

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
When I got started my initial investment was 200$ for a mod and 150$ for an atty.
Plus 30$ for a bottle of juice.

This was 4 years ago and I got talked into a provari 2.5 and a kayfun 3.1.

The advantage: I was to broke for cigarettes
The disadvantage: I was broke as hell
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My interest in buying more mods completely stopped once I got my most recent purchase - my new VaporShark DNA250. It does absolutely everything I could want and so I'm done buying new mods. I am hoping that it will last me at least a year or longer and I have a feeling it will.

Atomizers are the only things I may continue buying but my two newest attys satisfy me so that I'm not currently browsing any stores/vendors for any new ones.

Cheers!

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years
Ahh ok not the one I was looking at was looking at the dual battery version ...although must admit I'm not a fan of kangertech products so far everything I've used has been woeful but there is a real lack of choice for higher wattage regulated squonk mods
Smok has a new dripbox with a tank in it not sure if it squonks

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years
My interest in buying more mods completely stopped once I got my most recent purchase - my new VaporShark DNA250. It does absolutely everything I could want and so I'm done buying new mods. I am hoping that it will last me at least a year or longer and I have a feeling it will.

Atomizers are the only things I may continue buying but my two newest attys satisfy me so that I'm not currently browsing any stores/vendors for any new ones.

Cheers!
I was thinking about a reuleaux 2/3 or another alien. The alien mod I really like.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
RX2/3 was a good purchase for me. Some don't like it and cite things like that it has a not-so-good 510 connection but I've had no problems with the unit. For the price it certainly is powerful and a good deal IMO.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Cheers!

Nice mod only thing that worries me is the screen is on the bottom? Why place it there surely is gonna get absolutely mullered?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nice mod only thing that worries me is the screen is on the bottom? Why place it there surely is gonna get absolutely mullered?
I at first didn't know what to think of the screen on the bottom but it has grown on me. I am very careful with my devices so I'm not worried about damaging them at all, and the screen is not placed where it will get damaged by just setting it down.

It leaves a very nice looking device having the screen on the bottom, I think.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Cheers!
I said I was done buying mods about 50 mods ago

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I at first didn't know what to think of the screen on the bottom but it has grown on me. I am very careful with my devices so I'm not worried about damaging them at all, and the screen is not placed where it will get damaged by just setting it down.

It leaves a very nice looking device having the screen on the bottom, I think.
I have 2 shark 250s, 2 flask167s 4 dna40s and 2dna30s... Love the sharks!!!
And love the screen on the bottom

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Fair play guys do you buy the sleeve for it?

@The flavor chase were you referring to the Smok skyhook? Can't see anything from them that squonks
For the sharks?
I bought some, but they only get used if I'm using a 24mm atty.
24s sit flush with the skin but have a slight overhang without

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
@UncleRJ do update me/ everyone with your thoughts in your squonk thread I'm yet to purchase one ;)

KingPin, I am more than happy to do so.

Keep in mind that these are very different animals and while I am new to them, I do feel that I am making progress.

So far, I like it very much. Getting very good flavor and vapor. Learning to "Squonk" is a bit different but more later.

Hell, I am so inspired I have a couple of small upgrades on the way!

And as always, fellow members, send me a PM at ANYTIME!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yeah sky hook I guess it just has a build it tank still looks pretty cool

Yeah looks sweet wonder if you can get other RDTAs in there though it would be a deal breaker for me if you can't

So much to get into arrggg my head is spinning no wonder you spent so much money! LoL

Squonk Mod I'm getting next with RBA already made my mind up in that ...try different RBAs etc

DNA mod is a must at some point prolly get an RDTA for this ...By then they'll have a 300 chip ;)

Then I'll venture into mechs that'll be ageeeees though And Smok will have released thier TF64 tank by then! "The global warmer tank"

Sorry to hijak your thread buddy I'll move along now :)

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yeah looks sweet wonder if you can get other RDTAs in there though it would be a deal breaker for me if you can't

So much to get into arrggg my head is spinning no wonder you spent so much money! LoL

Squonk Mod I'm getting next with RBA already made my mind up in that ...try different RBAs etc

DNA mod is a must at some point prolly get an RDTA for this ...By then they'll have a 300 chip ;)

Then I'll venture into mechs that'll be ageeeees though And Smok will have released thier TF64 tank by then! "The global warmer tank"

Just my own 2 cents.....................

While I have 100 Watt mods, other than saying I have a 100 Watt mod, don't use them.

I try for flavor over all else.

While I have used RDA's in the past, just don't have the patence to always being fooling with them.

Hence the dripbox.

Just a thought, if you are going to try something new, go in inexpensivly and see if you think it will work for you.

Then you drop a "SHITONNE OF MONEY"!

Not before

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years
Just my own 2 cents.....................

While I have 100 Watt mods, other than saying I have a 100 Watt mod, don't use them.

I try for flavor over all else.

While I have used RDA's in the past, just don't have the patence to always being fooling with them.

Hence the dripbox.

Just a thought, if you are going to try something new, go in inexpensivly and see if you think it will work for you.

Then you drop a "SHITONNE OF MONEY"!

Not before
That's why the Dripbox and dripbox 160 are both under $60 so really don't hurt to try it. If I could go back I'd buy the 160 though

The flavor chase

Member For 4 Years

All good man Its all good information so I don't mind definitely try out that 160 drip box though that 60watt is trash and you can't adjust the watts

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I like the 80 watt dripbox.

I vape at lower wattages and it fits in my shirt pocket!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can get the Dripbox 2 80W or the Dripbox 160 for under $40 if you look around.
Both are good and TC is pretty nice on them too.
Good and smooth not wavery or pulsy.

And 2 filled bottles fit nicely in a dual 18650 battery case....

VU Sponsors