Become a Patron!

Hey, help me decide: 22 or 24mm Petri RTA

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So after posts and questions and research and stress, I finally made a decision! I'm going to get the Petri RTA (and a Derringer clone). It's pretty, but more importantly, the performance is supposed to be awesome, with a nice, dense vape and great flavor. Unfortunately, I can't decide between the 22mm and the 24mm.

Obviously, there's the difference of the 510 pin (but with the full dismantling and glass that likes to pop off), and the tank size/juice input change, but what about performance differences? And how much do those design flaws bother you?

A couple of other things I've heard about... is the 22 difficult to wick? Does it get easy after doing it a few times? What about the density of vapor? Did it become a less dense vape with the new one?

And really, any thoughts you have in either would be great. I'm the worst when it comes to decisions, and this is a huge investment for me. Thanks SO much!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have the 22, because when I got it, I didn't have much that could handle a 24 flush.
I wish I got the 24 though. They both vape the same; but, the extra capacity would be nice.

BAM crew

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh, I also want to know how far you can stop down the AF. Enough for a restricted lung hit? I end up closing the air flow down a lot with tanks, I like the pull.

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks! My mod's ("the brick") big enough for a 24mm, though it could also work with a 22. I'm torn on the capacity, refilling doesn't really bother me, but I've also never had a tank under 3ml.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've not tried going MTL with it.
@johnnyvapestand may know.

Mtl is also about build and wicking. I'm not so sure you can do that in the petri. The tank itself hits like the petri RDA: which is my favorite. The difference being it's bottom airflow.
It's loads of flavor and great vapor production. Unfortunately mine was stolen by the wife.

BAM crew

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've not tried going MTL with it.
@johnnyvapestand may know.

Mtl is also about build and wicking. I'm not so sure you can do that in the petri. The tank itself hits like the petri RDA: which is my favorite. The difference being it's bottom airflow.
It's loads of flavor and great vapor production. Unfortunately mine was stolen by the wife.

BAM crew

Yeah, one of the big deciding factors in choosing it was it's similarity to the RDA, except in tank form. And I don't think I'm full MTL, just like a more dense vape. Which one did you have?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm considering a 24 - because I love the 22 so much.

I really, really dislike the pin removal bs with the 22, but it is such a well made RTA I don't mind the 2ml juice capacity at all because it is so easy to refill and doesn't leak one pin drop, ever.

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I absolutely love both. I use the 24mm for out and about and the 22mm at home. I think both are easy to wick once you do it a couple times and the flavor is out of this world on both. I think both have the exact same great flavor and beautiful dense clouds. The only difference is you'll be filling the 22 more often. I vape different then most people. I like a restrictive hit also but I always keep the afc fully opened and restrict the hit with my mouth. If that makes sense. Also with wicking the 22mm i found that Scottish roll works best and really thin out the tails almost to where you'll think its gonna leak but both I mine never leak at all.

Attachments

• 14947729331652139173079.jpg
    14947729331652139173079.jpg
    976.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pretty! Thanks for the feedback, super helpful. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 24mm, but I still haven't decided for sure. I do still really like the slim profile of the 22, and I honestly think unscrewing a 510 pin sounds less irritating that dismantling the whole tank. And it's cheaper. But I think the 24mm is gorgeous, too, and has a lot of benefits, and it's not like I'm changing wicks every day. Bah!

I hate decisions, can you tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I know if I was about to try it for the first time I would go for the 24mm

EDIT: Having to remove the pin etc. on the 22mm is a serious PITA, lol

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've heard wicking is harder on the 22, too. Hey, you haven't figured out a way to switch out the drip tips have you? I know it's screw in, but there are so many sizes of drip tips, it seems like one of them would work with O-rings or a bit of sanding? Hopefully? I love the gold, but I want to add a little pop of color.

It's good to know which one you'd choose, it seems like that's a popular opinion, which makes me feel better about my decision (or mostly-decision, I haven't technically committed yet).

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I don't know about the 24, but on the 22mm you just take off the clear tip which is wider than a standard dt and put any other 510 dt in it

Mine also came with a gold dotmod 510 DT

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I like the drip tips that both of them came with so I haven't looked into it but yeah the 24 is a screw in drip tip so I really don't know. I first bought the 22mm and loved it so freaking much so i saved up the money for the 24mm but once you get yours you will see why they cost so much. The quality is the best I've seen on a tanks and I've bought a lot of tanks.

The difference between the 22mm and 24mm is the drip tips and you have to drain the tank to get to the build deck on the 24mm. I really don't mind the screw in 510 for the 22mm you just loosen it to unscrew from the tank and screw back in once it's loose but you don't have to drain the tank. The flavor is identical from both which is absolutely amazing but it is easier to wick the 24mm.

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I will say rest easy because whichever one you choose I promise you will love it!! once you get it definitely let us know how you like it

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh, the dotmod tips are so cute. I totally want to pair the lime or the aqua with the classy, classy gold.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I like the drip tips that both of them came with so I haven't looked into it but yeah the 24 is a screw in drip tip so I really don't know. I first bought the 22mm and loved it so freaking much so i saved up the money for the 24mm but once you get yours you will see why they cost so much. The quality is the best I've seen on a tanks and I've bought a lot of tanks.

The difference between the 22mm and 24mm is the drip tips and you have to drain the tank to get to the build deck on the 24mm. I really don't mind the screw in 510 for the 22mm you just loosen it to unscrew from the tank and screw back in once it's loose but you don't have to drain the tank. The flavor is identical from both which is absolutely amazing but it is easier to wick the 24mm.

Is the stock screw in dt with the 24 any wider than the 22?

I like the 22, but any bigger and it wouldn't fit my style at all

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I own both the 22 and 24mm Petri RTA, if i had to choose between the 2 i would have definately picked the 24mm.
Easier to build/wick and less hassle to disassemble.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I own both the 22 and 24mm Petri RTA, if i had to choose between the 2 i would have definately picked the 24mm.
Easier to build/wick and less hassle to disassemble.

Can you compare the drip tips on the two?

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can you compare the drip tips on the two?
The driptip of the 22 is holded by 2 o-rings while the 24mm driptip screws in.
I think they're about the same size, Noli Design makes custom driptips for it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The driptip of the 22 is holded by 2 o-rings while the 24mm driptip screws in.
I think they're about the same size, Noli Design makes custom driptips for it.

Thanks -

Are they about the same diameter?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm only asking because at first I didn't like the wide DT that came with the 22, but subbing even a very short DT muted the flavor a lot

I learned to like the standard 22 DT, but don't want to go bigger if I get the 24 also

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm only asking because at first I didn't like the wide DT that came with the 22, but subbing even a very short DT muted the flavor a lot

I learned to like the standard 22 DT, but don't want to go bigger if I get the 24 also
Flavour is on point imo, not sure if the standard dotmod tips from the RDA fit.
I've seen some pictures of it fitting not sure if it was the 22 or 24mm but it doesn't look as good as the driptip it comes with ofcourse.

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They are the same size. In the picture on the right are the two that the 24mm comes with but they are the exact same size as 22mm

Attachments

• 1494836865532105705046.jpg
    1494836865532105705046.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 18
  • 1494836962341775921712.jpg
    1494836962341775921712.jpg
    853 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Bah! I finally decided (the 24mm won), found a site, was all ready to click and purchase, but... in the home page it's listed as Preorder? I can't find a thing that says it on the actual page, so I'm really hoping they just got it in. I emailed, and I'm really hoping I can get it there. Everyone else is sold out, so it'll cost me like $20 more to get it elsewhere. I'm both cheap and broke, so now I'm worried. Plus, I totally wanted that rush of expectation and knowing new stuff is coming.

But... I made a decision! (thanks to you guys). And I'm super confident about it.

Last edited:

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Flavour is on point imo, not sure if the standard dotmod tips from the RDA fit.
I've seen some pictures of it fitting not sure if it was the 22 or 24mm but it doesn't look as good as the driptip it comes with ofcourse.

I emailed dotmod about the drip tips. The 22mm is compatible with the dt from the dotCap, and the 24mm is the same as the Conversion Cap one (also a screw in). Neither is compatible with the RDA or any 510. In trying to find some way since those, cause I found a dt I really want to use sometimes.

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh, that would have been great, and thank you! :) If you can swing it, enjoy it for yourself. I did a ton of research, and pretty much everyone loves it

I actually came on here to share that I just ordered it. I am beyond excited.

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's awesome. You will love it. I'm in the process of saving for a back up for the 24mm and the 22mm. Gotta have back ups for your back ups...thats what I tell the wife

Did you get the 24mm or 22?

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got the 24mm. There seemed to be a consensus that ppl loved both, and I would be happy with either, but that ppl with both tended to use their 24s. Plus, most everyone with the cheaper prices were sold out, but I found one that had 'em, and it was actually only a five dollar difference between the two, instead of the twenty five-ish I was expecting.

Good luck with the back ups, you never know what's going to happen to your first string shiny toy :) I was broke, so instead of getting a couple "okay" ones, I just picked one really really good one. Took me forever, and a lot of research and questions, but I am so pleased with my choice now that I finally made one.

I was almost convinced to get the gold Merlin Mini, but the reviews were so mixed. Now I get the high performance, 24k version.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Bah! I finally decided (the 24mm won), found a site, was all ready to click and purchase, but... in the home page it's listed as Preorder? I can't find a thing that says it on the actual page, so I'm really hoping they just got it in. I emailed, and I'm really hoping I can get it there. Everyone else is sold out, so it'll cost me like $20 more to get it elsewhere. I'm both cheap and broke, so now I'm worried. Plus, I totally wanted that rush of expectation and knowing new stuff is coming.

But... I made a decision! (thanks to you guys). And I'm super confident about it.
Nice purchase man, u will enjoy that!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got the 24mm. There seemed to be a consensus that ppl loved both, and I would be happy with either, but that ppl with both tended to use their 24s. Plus, most everyone with the cheaper prices were sold out, but I found one that had 'em, and it was actually only a five dollar difference between the two, instead of the twenty five-ish I was expecting.

Good luck with the back ups, you never know what's going to happen to your first string shiny toy :) I was broke, so instead of getting a couple "okay" ones, I just picked one really really good one. Took me forever, and a lot of research and questions, but I am so pleased with my choice now that I finally made one.

I was almost convinced to get the gold Merlin Mini, but the reviews were so mixed. Now I get the high performance, 24k version.

Damn good flavorful atty....!

decker

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Damn good flavorful atty....!

Thanks! It was the flavor, the reportedly dense vape, and percentage of that loved it AND actually used it frequently (all of those for both the 22 and 24mm) that convinced me. And the build quality is supposed to be amazing as well.

This part wouldn't have convinced me, but the fact that it's covered in real gold appeals to both the tacky and magpie sections of my heart

I'll definitely post an update once I have it, for you guys and the ppl out there considering it.

Edited to say: It has officially shipped, and if heading this way!

Last edited:

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks! It was the flavor, the reportedly dense vape, and percentage of that loved it AND actually used it frequently (all of those for both the 22 and 24mm) that convinced me. And the build quality is supposed to be amazing as well.

This part wouldn't have convinced me, but the fact that it's covered in real gold appeals to both the tacky and magpie sections of my heart

I'll definitely post an update once I have it, for you guys and the ppl out there considering it.

Edited to say: It has officially shipped, and if heading this way!
Been vaping the 24 all day long lately :xD:.
11vjuip.png

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Hey did you get your 24 yet and how do you like it?

VU Sponsors