Become a Patron!

Hi builders, would like your input

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vapocalypse potential in 710 days. So...

I'm a die-hard, swap out the coil and go kind of guy. I really, really don't want to have to rebuild. But, I'm also a pragmatist. No, no, really. You know how Joe is? Well, yeah, like that, times a thousand. Which I guess is weird because I work and worked a lot in miniature, like bonsai (now) and hand-painting tiny (less than half inch) Ral Partha miniatures back when down to the highlights in the pupils of the eyes. But even with that, I really, really don't want to build. Did I say I don't want to build?

Okay, sorry. I figure the bast path for me for the next 710 days is to take baby steps. Drippers and squonkers are completely out of the question, and will probably remain so even if I do wind up building something. So I'm guessing that leaves RDTAs, right?

I'm looking for something that is very easy to start, like ridiculously easy, and doesn't leak. For me, that means something for which I can already get premade coils that aren't layers and twists and layers, just a simple coil. Also something that will work in TC, so Ni200 or SS316 wire. Besides premade coils, the actual building should be ridiculously easy, but I'm not there yet.

What device would you recommend and which coils? Once I replace a dozen or so maybe I'll move on to building my own, but not right now. What else do I need besides the device and a source for premade coils and cotton?

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
given your criteria the best possible choice in my humble opinion is the Aromenizer lite it is easy to build, offers a single coil build option, and has optional coils ss316l in both single and dual coil

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you buy premade coils to start?
you can buy premade coils for any RTA/RDTA
A Velocity style deck is quite easy to work with.
You will still need to learn to fix hot spots and how to wick properly in any case.

dshobe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll second the Avocado. Ridiculously easy to build on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

dshobe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Absolutely, I build on it with SS 316L exclusively.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
you can buy premade coils for any RTA/RDTA
A Velocity style deck is quite easy to work with.
You will still need to learn to fix hot spots and how to wick properly in any case.
So you're saying that wrapping the coil is the least of the work on a simple dual coil build? Again, I apologize for the ignorance and am grateful for the time everyone's putting in.

dshobe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
None of it's too tough unless you're doing the crazy coil art type building.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't exclude a dripper, that is the easiest thing to build and learn on.

You don't have to worry about the wicks tails if they are stuffed too tight or not enough in the juice channels, there is generally more room for the coil, you can take the cap off and fix or fuss with the coil if beeded nad you don't have a tank of juice to worry about.

Velocity decks are the easiest to install coils into IMO, tank or dripper.

You can pick one up from fasttech for like $9 so you are not committing much money to it.

You can buy premade coils from there as well like ss claptons or fused claptons or just a regular old single wire premade coil... I'm not talking premade subohm screw in the base style either. 4 to10 coils will run you $2 to $9 depending on how sexy you want it.

dshobe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Agreed @fq06, the Avocado is basically a dripper with a tank underneath. Incredibly easy to build on for a very high reward in flavor.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My main reason for not wanting a dripper is that I pack a few mods into my pockets and go. I don't want to carry juice any more than I want to carry batteries. So leakage and actually having to drip are both issues, even if it's a squonker. I just don't want to go in that direction at this point. I've been looking at some tanks and they're in 2ml ranges? Are they all that small? God, I'm such a noob.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Tornado RDTA Mini. Velocity style build deck, and also you can get rewickable prebuilt coils.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't carry it anywhere, keep it for practicing and building at home enjoying on the couch.

For the most part I don't drip away from home.

Example
For a biggger mod
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10020760/5571400-tsunami-24-styled-rda-rebuildable-dripping
For a mini mod
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...nami-styled-rda-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10014902/5134606-authentic-youde-ud-316l-stainless-steel-clapton
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...entic-geekvape-316l-stainless-steel-staggered

Different single coil dripper that is in my cart for the next order...
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...naut-styled-rda-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer

I'm not saying don't get a tank... just saying for $10 it's real easy to learn on and you may really like drippers.

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My main reason for not wanting a dripper is that I pack a few mods into my pockets and go. I don't want to carry juice any more than I want to carry batteries. So leakage and actually having to drip are both issues, even if it's a squonker. I just don't want to go in that direction at this point. I've been looking at some tanks and they're in 2ml ranges? Are they all that small? God, I'm such a noob.

No, you can get more capacity (tons of chioces and some that have been mentioned in this thread) but europe only allows 2ml so a lot of tanks are being built to that spec now.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Ahhh... stick a rebuildable tank in the pocket walk around a while and not leak...
That may be an issue, most to all rta's use vacuum to seal up the liquid and most to all when they end up their sides they can lose vacuum and leak.

Nothing is as leak proof as a screw in coil subohm tank like the crown or super tank mini etc.) in my experience anyway.

You've got 710 days till you have to be a pro at it so mess around with a few styles, tank and drippers ;)

Last edited:

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going to have to take a step back and watch some basic tutorials over.

Two misconceptions I had, prebuilt coils are already resistance and hotspot tested, and good tanks don't leak. Apparently wrong on both counts, fully or partially... back to YouTube.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once you do 1 or 2 it gets less scary. Spend $15 including coils & dive in... you've got 710 day to go :)

I don't worry about hot spots running spaced coils in temp control. But getting hots spots sorted out on contact coils is no big deal... really.

Same number of wraps on both coils will be the same resistance. Single coil it makes no difference.

Don't make it out to be more than it is. Once you put a couple coils in you will be like... that was it? That's not bad at all.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not really "scared", just trying to gather as much information as possible to make it much less of a PITA down the road.

I really don't want to rebuild, but I do want to be prepared if the FDA requires all juice to carry a Brawndo label, which seems to be the main goal, with the rest "preventing vaping entirely" being mostly smoke and mirrors in a pitiful attempt to hide the true goal of handing over the vaping industry to Big Tobacco and Big Pharma.

Anyway, with bonsai, I have a tiny tree growing in a pot, a sense of peace and self-satisfaction, and a sort of compatriot in the tree as we work together to achieve the goal. With miniatures, I had real pieces of artwork that I could see and enjoy, again enjoying a job well done.

Coils? Builds? For me it's kind of like rebuilding a carburetor, something I've never done, and never want to do, but I still want to drive my car.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't mean scared in a negative/weak way.

You don't want to rebuild a carb but you do want to drive a car...
You may get to step up from a prius to a Ferrari.

Like you said, you got time to figure it out. You will be very happy when you do finally take the plunge though.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Exactly. Well, not exactly, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius. Wouldn't even take one free. But yeah, I want my 64½ Mustang, but the FDA is poised to make hiring a mechanic illegal. Bastards. :D

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And a good build is somewhat akin to your bonzi where you are working as a single unit in vaping bliss. Some builds, not so much for whatever reason and it is just good... but sometimes you get the combo of coil, coil placement to airholes & wicking just right for that particular atty and its just awesome.

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly. Well, not exactly, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius. Wouldn't even take one free. But yeah, I want my 64½ Mustang, but the FDA is poised to make hiring a mechanic illegal. Bastards. :D
Time to get the jetting right & knock the dust off that old timing light to dial in that stang and send the prius to the crusher ;)

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
the best tank for me so far is the one that came with the tfv8. not much learning curve from an rda but once you learn your golden. but anything velocity style will adjust for whatever coil material you want to use. wicking style is down to the diameter and juice ratio as well as how the deck is designed for it.

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try Vapor Beast's deal section, ton of great RDAs to learn on. $10 for a Velocity clone & $11 for a Sapor are a good starting combo. Or $20 for an Aromanizer if you want an rta

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Try Vapor Beast's deal section, ton of great RDAs to learn on. $10 for a Velocity clone & $11 for a Sapor are a good starting combo. Or $20 for an Aromanizer if you want an rta
Not a bad idea, sort of just grab a few for when I'm ready.

Thanks fartbubble. <- words I'd never thought I'd ever say in my lifetime.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Tornado Nano gets my vote, then the Geekvape Eagle and Limitless XL

They all have coilhead options and a great solid RTA section the size of a normal RTA deck....I love the Tornado Nano

I got the Black Glass that changes to frosted white and I received some premade coilheads with built in LEDs...Its pretty cool. you could even rewick the premade coilheads if you wanted.
The RTA section is really easy to wick, just cut the tips at the deck and screw on the barrel and your done..
20160621_005018.jpg20160621_005007.jpg 20160706_225456.jpg 20160616_161634.jpg 20160616_161521.jpg 20160616_165238.jpg 20160616_170249.jpg20160616_161733.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That actually looks super simple. Leakage factor?
I havent had it leak but I guess if you dont have any or very little cotton in it it could. When the barrel goes on the RTA section only the very bottom of the wicks are shown to the juice, small 2mm x 6mm openings.

a190ba81ca03ff75dabfb8b3427e7346.jpg

Those slots toward the bottom is where your wick meets the juice...there should be enough wick to cover that slot so you only see cotton looking at them...Ill try to get a picture tomorrow

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ugh, now I need a kit... SS and/or Ni wire... Cotton...

Just not simple.

Kit recommendations or separate pieces? What wire gauges? I'd be looking to come out around 0.5Ω SS and 0.2Ω Ni, dual coils, simple dual coils.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
LOL, just thinking how funny it is... I'm an IT guy, we used to do HW and SW, and I hated every last second I spent on HW. Have no probs mixing, but this is... ugh.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It doesn't have to be :)

I started using kanthal, a drill bit, nail clippers and a sample sheet of cotton that was a freebie. You'll need a lighter or small torch if you start with kanthal.

SS is better to start with IMHO - I can't understand why anyone still uses kanthal, its a pain in the rear and can taste bad if you aren't really careful.

SS is clean and only takes a low pulse or two and the coil is ready.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It doesn't have to be :)

I started using kanthal, a drill bit, nail clippers and a sample sheet of cotton that was a freebie. You'll need a lighter or small torch if you start with kanthal.

SS is better to start with IMHO - I can't understand why anyone still uses kanthal, its a pain in the rear and can taste bad if you aren't really careful.

SS is clean and only takes a low pulse or two and the coil is ready.
amen and the same for me but then again i started back before blue foam and tea filters :D

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Build decks are mostly the same in all the rebuildable tanks nowadays, they are simple to build on. Leaking always comes down to your build - not enough cotton or cotton in the wrong place = leak, some people never seem to understand this so they blame the RTA. Some RTAs like the SMOK-TF RTA have screw in build decks so you can have a G1 (single coil, single airflow), G2 (Dual coil, dual airflow) or a G4 (Quad coil/airflow) and if you have a couple of the ones you like then you can have the spare one built and ready to swap out whenever the one in use gets gunky....just like changing a tanks coil.

Making a coil takes seconds, unless you want to make a fancy coil but fancy coils generally last a long time with a bit of maintenance. Wicking them usually is a little harder, might take a whole minute :D

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
FU VapeNW and your 20% off.

521 Mini
Basic Kit
5 Sheet Cotton Pack
30' SS316L 28g
Avocado 24
Aromamizer Supreme

They didn't have the Tornado.

ddloco

Member For 4 Years
Don't sell yourself short on building, jump feet first into it. Its not hard at all and when you do it a couple times you get a sense of satisfaction that a premade coil head can never give, trust me it really easy just go for it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ugh, now I need a kit... SS and/or Ni wire... Cotton...

Just not simple.

Kit recommendations or separate pieces? What wire gauges? I'd be looking to come out around 0.5Ω SS and 0.2Ω Ni, dual coils, simple dual coils.
avoid the Nickle it is a pain to work with for experienced builders.. soft as melting butter.. ss316l is your best bet gauges I would start with 28g 26g and maybe 24g to begin with, as far as kits go coil master has a really nice complete one http://www.coil-master.net/product/diy-kit
you can probably find better prices on the kit then direct from them however

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Back to the Tornado Nano for a second. Is it decent with the chip coils too, or only as a rebuildable? Can it use a 510 tip? Seeing them cheap on eBay now.

Also, I'm not blown away by the Limitless Plus, though most are. Not difficult, but I find the juice and flavor disappear with the big clouds. I don't reach for it much.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Back to the Tornado Nano for a second. Is it decent with the chip coils too, or only as a rebuildable? Can it use a 510 tip? Seeing them cheap on eBay now.

Also, I'm not blown away by the Limitless Plus, though most are. Not difficult, but I find the juice and flavor disappear with the big clouds. I don't reach for it much.
You can get the Chip Coils to use as a subohm tank if you want, you could even just rewick those premade coils if you dont want to actually make a coil.

It comes with a cap with a 510 tip on it but you can fit other tips into that if you feel the need, it comes with a weird cig-a-like tip also.
IJOY%20Tornado%20Nano_05.jpg

ec277abd678d98f45ab9ba960ec79b2d310f3020.JPG

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
avoid the Nickle it is a pain to work with for experienced builders.. soft as melting butter.. ss316l is your best bet gauges I would start with 28g 26g and maybe 24g to begin with, as far as kits go coil master has a really nice complete one http://www.coil-master.net/product/diy-kit

Amazon has it and a bit cheaper.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RX4DJ6

I found the coil master customer service less than stellar. The product is outstanding. I ended up buying a cheap three drawer plastic container at Target and dumping the entire contents of the kit into it. Along with cotton and other accessories. Just too much of a bother to replace each piece into it's own dedicated slot.

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-3...gclid=CNOTy8Sx584CFY-DaQod1_wBNg&gclsrc=aw.ds

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

If he gets a DNA200 mod (Vt133) or hohmtech mod (G2) I'd recommend NiFe wire over SS. If not, then go with SS. 430 is better then 316l for temp control but both will work.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've a VT133 on the way, but would prefer to work in one wire. If my other devices won't take NiFe (Nickel/Iron?) I'd rather just work in SS.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've a VT133 on the way, but would prefer to work in one wire. If my other devices won't take NiFe (Nickel/Iron?) I'd rather just work in SS.
Understandable for sure. U can still use nife in wattage and depending on your other devices it might work if u can change the tcr. Ss is a solid choice as well. The only wire I dislike is ni200. I'd never recommend it to anyone

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Understandable for sure. U can still use nife in wattage and depending on your other devices it might work if u can change the tcr. Ss is a solid choice as well. The only wire I dislike is ni200. I'd never recommend it to anyone

LOL, that seems to be the general consensus. I'm happy to work in SS as I prefer it to Ni, but Ni does come second, and what I use in prebuilt heads that don't come in SS.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You will quickly come to hate building, installing and rewicking Ni coils.
Screwing one in and building/maintaining one are two completely different things.
I would completely eliminate Ni :kickbutt:as a wire choice but that's just my opinion.

Good luck on your journey, we'll all be watching ;)

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You will quickly come to hate building, installing and rewicking Ni coils.
Screwing one in and building/maintaining one are two completely different things.
I would completely eliminate Ni as a wire choice but that's just my opinion.

Good luck on your journey, we'll all be watching ;)
This^ if you are buying pre-built ones then yeah nickel is fine. But if you are building your own it's a piece of crap wire that's more trouble then it's worth

VU Sponsors