Become a Patron!

Hi

r3wt

Member For 1 Year
I'm garrett, i'm 28 from Arkansas. I'm a software developer for 5 years, i work with Node.js, React, and React-Native as well as some other things that i dabble in during my spare time. I dipped and smoked since i was 12 years old. I quit smoking in 2013 and started dipping full time. I quit all tobbaco last year using chantix but i fell back into dipping after only 6 months of being nicotine free. I've been dabbling in ecigs since the blu came out, and started vaping about 4 months ago. I have a stick prince and a stick v8, but i am moving on to better mini mods. I really like a small portable mod that fits in my pocket. I am interested in rda's and all mini mods. I just bought a Mega Volt and a Royal Hunter RDA from CoV as my first intro into rda's. I joined this site to get some insight into the community about safe coils and wattage to run for my new mod.

Thanks,
Garrett

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU r3wt and you should have no troubles getting recommendations around here for gear. Beware of shinyitus and good luck on becoming completely tobacco free. Rooting for you.

r3wt

Member For 1 Year
Welcome to VU r3wt and you should have no troubles getting recommendations around here for gear. Beware of shinyitus and good luck on becoming completely tobacco free. Rooting for you.
Thank you, but i just want to clarify, i've been tobacco free since i started vaping, so about 3 or 4 months give or take. i am still using 6mg nic juice though. One of my favorites i've found so far is Blvk Unicorn - Caramel Tobacco, its really good. Its the only tobbaco flavor i've found that is acceptable. I just finished my second bottle. I'm not a shill though, i can show my receipts from a vaping website where i've ordered 2 bottles, and just ordered a 3rd this weekend. I also ordered Pancake by Vapor Maid to try. I've tried a number of juices but so far the only one i've reordered is the one by blvk unicorn. But i'm starting to think, the flavor is probably being limited by my weak smok mods

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Welcome aboard :cheers:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Congratulations - and welcome :wave:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Welcome aboard Garrett.:wave:

So, You've got a new COV Mega Volt and Royal Hunter RDA and you want an idea about all around safety?

i.e. Battery, Coil Type, Coil Material, Wattage, etc...

That's understandable. It's better to get opinions from people who have been vaping for a while.

Here's what I have.
Some parts may be more useful than others:

Kanthal is a good starter wire and I would say getting 25ft of 24ga,and 26ga would be a good start.
I't's pretty inexpensive and you can even find name brand wire on eBay if need be.

I would highly recommend that if you want to learn how to build yourself that you avoid pre made coils (aliens, claptons, etc..) until after you get used to regular dual coils..

Now I noticed that the COV mod you have is an 80 watt device and the Royal Hunter is a dual coil RDA.

If you want the battery to last the longer you are going to want to not max the mod out

50 to 60 watts should be more then enough to get an awesome vape.

I would aim to build dual coils at around 0.4 ohms.

If you run it at 0.4 ohms you will be drawing about 10 amps from the battery at 44 watts if you are vaping at 4.2 volts.

So that way if you like a warmer vape you have plenty of clearance to be able to turn it up.

If you get a like able vape at 0.4 ohms then you are only using your mod at a little over half power.

This will really extend the battery life.

To get dual coils at 0.4 ohms you need to install two 0.8 ohm coils.

If you use 26ga kanthal and wrap it around a 2.75mm bit you'd need 6 wraps per coil
24ga would need 9 wraps per coil

I use this for quick look ups:

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html

Have fun while you are here and congrats on the 3+months smoke free:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

So, You've got a new COV Mega Volt and Royal Hunter RDA and you want an idea about all around safety?

That's understandable. It's better to get opinions from people who have been vaping for a while.

Here's what I have.

Kanthal is a good starter wire and I would say getting 25ft of 24ga,and 26ga would be a good start.
I't's pretty inexpensive and you can even find name brand wire on eBay if need be.

I would highly recommend that if you want to learn how to build yourself that you avoid pre made coils (aliens, claptons, etc..) until after you get used to regular dual coils..

Now I noticed that the COV mod you have is an 80 watt device and the Royal Hunter is a dual coil RDA.

If you want the battery to last the longer you are going to want to not max the mod out

If you run it at 0.4 ohms you will be drawing about 10 amps from the battery at 44 watts if you are vaping at 4.2 volts.

So that way if you like a warmer vape you have plenty of clearance to be able to turn it up.

If you get a like able vape at 0.4 ohms then you are only using your mod at a little over half power.

If you use 26ga kanthal and wrap it around a 2.75mm bit you'd need 6 wraps per coil

Good info.....:cheers:

r3wt

Member For 1 Year

Here's what I have.

I appreciate the tips, especially WRT building coils. Funny story, i actually bought the mod and the rda both on ebay, and it turned out to be from the same seller, so they are shipping together and should be here thursday. as a bonus, the rda came with two free coils and some cotton. the coils included are .85 ohm fused claptons. unless i've misunderstood you, then they should work ok (i assume i just divide the restitance in half between the two coils so ~.425 ohms roughly. So i guess i won't be building any coils for a while, atleast initially, which is honestly a relief. but, when the time comes, i will be sure to pull up this thread and review your helpful tips. Thanks again,
Garrett

Pony Tail

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year

Welcome aboard r3wt!

And lol @ shinyitis... no doubt :giggle:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to VU!:cheers:

There's a new builders sub-forum in the Builder's Corner to get you started on making your first coils when you're ready.

VU Sponsors