HIC's BLACK PEPPER ICE CREAM

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
For personal non-commercial use only.
Please do not repost this outside of vapingunderground.com.

HIC's Black Pepper Ice Cream recipe: Yes, it's a real thing: http://www.sassyradish.com/2009/08/black-pepper-ice-cream/ and my favorite use to date for FA Black Pepper. Pepper interacts very nicely with all the FA Vanilla flavors. It brings out the flavor of vanilla here, just like that real ice cream recipe author notes. It tastes sweet, smooth, and spicy - no 'throat hit' or nose sting, not at all overwhelming here. If you have FA Black Pepper, you owe it to yourself to give this a try!

2% FA Vienna Cream
1% FA Black Pepper (can go as low as 0.5%)
1% FA Custard
1% FA Vanilla Bourbon (or your favorite FA vanilla)
1% Fresh Cream

I chose Vanilla Bourbon because it's the most flavorful of FA's vanillas. It has some deep notes to balance the high notes in FA Custard just right.

If you're nervous, try using 0.5% Black Pepper first. That way you taste mostly vanilla with a swirl of pepper. I much prefer it with 1% Black Pepper, which is about equal strength vanilla ice cream and pepper flavors. This is not an overly-strong flavor even at 1%. I promise!

Try to imagine the flavor....then try it. Then please post here to tell us if it tasted like you expected. I found it surprisingly delicious!

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Of course - I have black pepper, so I'll have to make this up. But I'm suspicious........LOL

Black pepper tastes woody, warm, spicy... If you think of it like that, it makes sense that it agrees with creamy-sweet vanilla.

Next warm spell, I'm going to try that ice cream recipe I linked to!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I tried it with vanilla classic a long time ago. It melded nicely but needed more.... Flavor. This oughta do it! Sounds good to me!

Sent from my stupid iPhone because I don't have an Android.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What! This sounds awesome HIC! Will get to mixing this soon!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HIC I believe you! I wouldn't, but I make a homeade spiced apple cider in which I soak the following spices in apple juice and strain....cinnamon, ginger, orange peel, cloves, allspice, vanilla bean, black peppercorn, & pink peppercorn ( which is not a pepper, but a dried pink fruit ). It's the best cider ever! Gives the apple juice a nice spice! Wonder what a small amount in your apple cider recipe would do.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need to find them locally!! All I've found are already in a medley mix. I wanna make my own!
Mine too...and I am so remotely located it would be online...I can get them individually online at a few places....nothing local here but fresh beef and pigs, deer, wild hog, squirrel, dove, fish, wild turkey...and all must be hunted except first two.... I think you get the idea! Is the term bfe?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mine too...and I am so remotely located it would be online...I can get them individually online at a few places....nothing local here but fresh beef and pigs, deer, wild hog, squirrel, dove, fish, wild turkey...and all must be hunted except first two.... I think you get the idea! Is the term bfe?
I've seen them online, too. Yep, you must be out in the beautiful hills of this fine state. I landed in the valley.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Interesting. HIC's gonna make me order the entire FA line...

There aren't many I regret buying. I have all but a couple in the e-cig line. I could have lived without Summer Clouds, Neroli, CamBlend, Dark Vapure. There are quite a few that I use only rarely, but I'm glad to have them available when I "need" them.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just made this and am vaping it now - surprisingly nice! I (of course) made it a tad stronger (in 2 mls instead of 3mls). The pepper makes it interesting without being peppery - going to have to make more and put it in my Reo for a longer vape to see how it ages!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
dude !!!!!!! how did I miss this ? freakin nice man. sounds so wierd and good at the same time . hahaha

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For what it's worth, black pepper and vanilla are very closely related flavor-wise in molecular gastronomy. They share allot of compounds. I have thought about this combo in the past and really want to try it out now that someone has a recipe. . Was unsure blue it'd work out and didn't want to get stuck with a bottle of pepper flavor. Now all I have to do is remember to get FA black pepper on the next order. .

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
dude !!!!!!! how did I miss this ? freakin nice man. sounds so wierd and good at the same time . hahaha
If you've ever had one, you would be hooked. They are German Christmas crack!

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So, vapeing some of this right now after a month long steep. Dear Lord it's good.

SquareFeet

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cannot wait to try this. I've been loving using FA Black Pepper lately. I find it adds a really subtle background flavour in an Apricot Tea recipe I'm working on, and it goes really well with FA Cucumber. Can't get enough of the stuff.

Just need to get some Vienna Cream...I have FA Custard, FA Fresh Cream, FA Vanilla Bourbon, FA Irish Cream, and FA Catalan Cream (though it smells and tastes odd to me), TFA Vanillin, TFA French Vanilla. I'm wondering whether I could make something amounting to Vienna Cream using any of those? Never tried Vienna Cream, though, so it could be an interesting experiment. I'll find your notes on Vienna Cream and see what I can do!

SquareFeet

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My latest batch of flavours from FA arrived the other day, so going to mix this up tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Quick question, though, would all the ingredients (minus the Black Pepper) make a good 'ice cream' base? Say I mixed a 5ml batch just flavourings (using the same ratios as this recipe), I guess I could use that as a base to make different 'ice cream' flavours? Sounds like it could work, but just wondering if anything in this recipe is specifically increased/reduced because of the black pepper?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Quick question, though, would all the ingredients (minus the Black Pepper) make a good 'ice cream' base? Say I mixed a 5ml batch just flavourings (using the same ratios as this recipe), I guess I could use that as a base to make different 'ice cream' flavours?

Yep, it's a good basic vanilla ice cream base. Because of the custard, it's a version that goes best with fruits and spices, in my opinion.

I was just about to ask the same question that @SquareFeet just asked...because I don't have Black Pepper but I do have FA Cardamon. Looking over some ice cream recipes online I found many of them that pair coconut and cardamon so I had to experiment. All credit to @HeadInClouds for the ice cream "base" and what I can only imagine at this time is an interesting flavor but I had to try with flavors I had...

To HIC's "Ice Cream Base" I added: (No Black Pepper)
1% FW Creamy Coconut
1% FW Cardamon

Solid vape by itself but I am not content to let it be so no it is time to play around with the percentages...maybe upping the creams and cutting the cardamon back a bit and maybe add a bit of Ceylon Cinnamon but this is a solid vape.

Plenty of room for some DIY fun here.

Always inspired by HIC's recipes!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I am mixing up a batch now bc I vaped all Haze sent me. Was this how I suspected it would taste. How to answer that? First off all I trust you. I guess I had no ideal how it would taste. Vanilla Ice cream with black pepper. I found it absolutely delicious to be honest. It was nice and sweet and creamy and the black pepper added a nice warm spice to it. Not like you would think when you are cracking black pepper onto your food and it makes you sneeze. Not warm like a spicy overwhelming hot cayenne pepper. More like a warm spice of cinnamon or nutmeg would give you, but the taste of black pepper. I don't know how to describe it, but the sweetness of Vienna cream, the vanilla, the smooth fluff of fresh cream, I don't believe I can taste the lemon zest of the custard in this, which I would not have minded. All in all this is imho one of the best vape recipes you have created and I love it. Although I bounce around, this would be one of what I consider an all day vape. HIC, I have never had such a pleasant challenge. Thank you!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Well, I am mixing up a batch now bc I vaped all Haze sent me. Was this how I suspected it would taste. How to answer that? First off all I trust you. I guess I had no ideal how it would taste. Vanilla Ice cream with black pepper. I found it absolutely delicious to be honest. It was nice and sweet and creamy and the black pepper added a nice warm spice to it. Not like you would think when you are cracking black pepper onto your food and it makes you sneeze. Not warm like a spicy overwhelming hot cayenne pepper. More like a warm spice of cinnamon or nutmeg would give you, but the taste of black pepper. I don't know how to describe it, but the sweetness of Vienna cream, the vanilla, the smooth fluff of fresh cream, I don't believe I can taste the lemon zest of the custard in this, which I would not have minded. All in all this is imho one of the best vape recipes you have created and I love it. Although I bounce around, this would be one of what I consider an all day vape. HIC, I have never had such a pleasant challenge. Thank you!

:) I was also surprised. I'd read (long ago) that FA Black Pepper could be used to add throat hit, so I expected it to be rough. But "warm spice" is a perfect description, D. I know we have similar preferences on other spice flavors, so I was confident you'd like it. I'm glad you tried and like it!

Cloudbursting

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, I'm very interested in whipping this up, as I LOVE an overload of black pepper on certain foods and I think it'd be a delicious aspect of ice cream.

However, the FA black pepper is one tough ingredient to track down and this recipe essentially would make me order from 14 different places.

What is the flavor profile really like? Is it truly ice cream with a stout black pepper aspect, or does it mold into more like a cinnamon or chai? I'm not big on cinnamon or chai at all in my vapes, and I just want to know if this recipe truly hits the spot?

Thank you!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not cinnamony or chaiish. It tastes like a black pepper ice cream. If you smell the pepper it's not so strong it would make you sneeze like freshly cracked black peppercorn would. I'm not sure where you are located, but you should be able to get all of the ingredients from Bull City Vapor. To my knowledge it is the only place that sells it. I do however love cinnamon and chai, but this stays black pepper. I have tried the black pepper with apricot, lime, and rum to make a peppery jam. If you like black pepper I'd say it is worth the purchase. Sorry if I confused you above. I'd say in this recipe it is more like black pepper from a pepper shaker rather than a peppercorn. Does that make sense?

Cloudbursting

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does anyone know anywhere else that sells it besides bullcity? They're all out!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does anyone know anywhere else that sells it besides bullcity? They're all out!
I looked and couldn't find it at ecigexpress or e liquid mart. I'd send you some, but a friend sent me only a few ml. so I'm hoarding it. I'm mailing out packages to friends Wednesday. I'd be willing to mix you up a 10ml. Bottle to try of HICs Black Pepper Ice cream to try and hold you off until Bull city gets theirs in. Just send me a pm with your address and nicotine vg/pg ratio.

VU Sponsors