HIC's CREAMY STRAWBERRY MALT+

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had this one on my "mix it" list for awhile now and finally got to do it this morning. It's very good, but all I taste is the chocolate, hardly any strawberry. I vaped it in my sub tank, on the Sigelei, tried settings from 20-25w and still not tasting strawberry. What did I do wrong?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I shake the crap out of all my flavors before use, that's rule #1 in HIC's "Mixing School"......lol!

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, for what it's worth I used a mix of FA strawberry and INW strawberry. Don't have my notes here at work but I think it was 1.5 or 2% each.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Pescondo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've had this one on my "mix it" list for awhile now and finally got to do it this morning. It's very good, but all I taste is the chocolate, hardly any strawberry. I vaped it in my sub tank, on the Sigelei, tried settings from 20-25w and still not tasting strawberry. What did I do wrong?
Mine took about a week for the strawberry to show. After that it didn't last long. Delish!

Zortec2112

Member For 4 Years
Ha! You have the same "weirdo" tastebuds as me! Everyone else I let try it tastes strawberry right away, and taste it strongly. Sometimes I taste strawberry, sometimes I don't (at least not very much). I still love it though! Next time I mix I'll probably add just a little more strawberry. It does seem that different flavors come through each time I vape it, which is super cool!

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gonna have to boost it with something. Or cut the chocolate. It is a good chocolate malt though. ;)

I mixed this recipe over a month ago and when I vaped it, my impression was the same as yours. So I didn't vape it anymore for at least a couple of weeks. Tried it again and it was even more chocolate malty like than when I had first tried it, but also had a nutty flavor which must have been the AP coming through a little more. I even made a note in the recipe that it was chocolate malt tasting with nuts. I haven't tried it since, but just smelled it and I'm smelling a lot of nut in it now. I mixed it at 60VG/40PG 4mg VT (not throat hit VT) nic.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do remember a chocolate covered strawberry juice I made a few months ago that took forever to steep. I kept it in the desk drawer and shook it daily, and couldn't even smell the strawberry ripe I'd used. Took about six weeks to get any sort of strawberry aroma, but when it reached its peak it was amazing! Wish I could find that recipe again.....lol!

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just made this this week - excellent .. was waiting forever for meringue as I kept forgetting to order it.. finally got some in (thanks to MR wllmc [Mamaj's]!)
so made this up right away.. it's very nice fantastic flavor (thanks HIC!)

Ha! You have the same "weirdo" tastebuds as me! Everyone else I let try it tastes strawberry right away, and taste it strongly. Sometimes I taste strawberry, sometimes I don't (at least not very much). I still love it though!

This seems to be me also..
[altho my taster may still be broken a bit as i get a lot of flavors changing ie - wow thats great..next day.. wow where'd it go?:p Then usually returns later]

But strawberry seems to give me the most trouble as in never reaching saturation.

but also had a nutty flavor which must have been the AP coming through a little more.

Have to cut AP as it stands out to me lol - I generally cut to 50% or less for a first batch.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have to cut AP as it stands out to me lol - I generally cut to 50% or less for a first batch.

Me also... my taste buds seem to be able to taste AP really well or something and to me has a kind of dull/muted nut flavor. I guess I need to use smaller %'s in the future. I'm guessing not everybody tastes it like that and to others it adds a sweetness?

Zortec2112

Member For 4 Years
seems to be so .. I get the smell and taste of fritos .. others get sweet / nutty flavor ..

Fortunately with AP I taste a nutty flavor. Now, the room where I keep my mixing supplies...different story. Smells like a corn chip factory! That room also happens to be my wife's jewelry "office". I can't believe she hasn't evicted me from there yet! :D

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
It does seem that different flavors come through each time I vape it, which is super cool!

THAT is exactly the goal I had with this one. I like it when flavors alternate like that. Anyone not tasting one of the main flavors, of course add however-much is needed of whatever flavor isn't strong enough. We all seem to need different amounts when strawberry is involved.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They're sweeteners and flavor blenders in this recipe, and essential for the malty bit.
I mean what difference would it make to use marshmallow and not the other?

Edit: as i have marshmallow but not oba and if oba would be better id rather order some lol

happy vaping

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I mean what difference would it make to use marshmallow and not the other?

Edit: as i have marshmallow but not oba and if oba would be better id rather order some lol

Either one's fine, really. Oba Oba ages to taste a little more malty in this recipe.

For personal non-commercial use only.
Please do not repost this outside of vapingunderground.com.

HIC's Creamy Strawberry Malt+ recipe: strawberry-vanilla ice cream, creamy chocolate milk, a swirl of malt, and a drizzle of caramel syrup. All in one tank!

2.5% FA Strawberry
1.5% FA Choc
1% FA Oba-Oba or 1% FA Marshmallow *
1% FA Vienna Cream
0.5% FA Fresh Cream
0.5% FA Cocoa
0.5% FA Caramel
0.5% FA Meringue (optional, but include it if you have it)
0.5% TFA Acetyl Pyrazine (available here)

* In a side-by-side vape, the Oba-Oba version of this recipe has a little deeper malty flavor to it. If you already have Oba-Oba I recommend it here, but Marshmallow also works just fine.

FA Strawberry is absolutely delicious in this malt! I think FA Cherry would also be good and intend to try that in a future batch.

P.S. My finished Strawberry Mocha Frappuccino recipe is at my store: https://gumroad.com/hic

Got around to making another of yours. I had to sub the oba with marshmellow and I left out the Meringue since don't have that til next order. This is so yummy. Thanks for the great recipe and sharing of them.

-GR-

Member For 4 Years
I was able to mix this up this morning before going to work. Awesome recipe. I would love this without the strawberry also. I used Marshmallow because i don't have Oba. Thanks for the terrific recipe HIC.

OhioRuss

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
(If you use FA Honey, use an extremely light touch; it's very strong) I think the sweetener works well. Ethyl maltol ('cotton candy') did not work well for me,
You are not kidding on the honey. I substituted honey for EM in another recipe at a 1:1 ratio at 1% in a 10% flavor mix. This was of course before I read your notes on FA honey. OMG super strong on day 2 but mellowed a bit by day 4.

1 drop-o-honey (.25%) woulda been good in that little mistake. :)

toleary1988

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do remember a chocolate covered strawberry juice I made a few months ago that took forever to steep. I kept it in the desk drawer and shook it daily, and couldn't even smell the strawberry ripe I'd used. Took about six weeks to get any sort of strawberry aroma, but when it reached its peak it was amazing! Wish I could find that recipe again.....lol!
This juice reminds me of a choc covered strawberr. Its been steeping for a little over a week and i love it

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This juice reminds me of a choc covered strawberr. Its been steeping for a little over a week and i love it

nice!! that reminds me .. i had made this and put some aside a week or two ago... gonna go dig it up and see !!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
nice!! that reminds me .. i had made this and put some aside a week or two ago... gonna go dig it up and see !!
dig it up? i can just imagine people making juices and burying them in the backyard to steep. Then spending hours trying to remember where they buried them.

Perhaps little tombstones to keep track of them all.

Just make sure the dog don't dig yhem up first

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
dig it up? i can just imagine people making juices and burying them in the backyard to steep. Then spending hours trying to remember where they buried them.

Perhaps little tombstones to keep track of them all.

Just make sure the dog don't dig yhem up first
Hey....that's a cool idea! Or instead of a wine cellar, you could have a vape cellar....:D

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Been eyeballing this for a while, decided to pull the trigger tonight and I'm glad I did.
I bumped up the strawberry a bit because I just love it. Friggin yum!
Now seeking a recipe for torrone as I actually have some now. Thanks

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Been eyeballing this for a while, decided to pull the trigger tonight and I'm glad I did.
I bumped up the strawberry a bit because I just love it. Friggin yum!
Now seeking a recipe for torrone as I actually have some now. Thanks

Try torrone standalone first, 3% ish, then http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-mandarin-nut-torrone-orange-nut-nougat-candy.1825/
and/or http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-limoncello-torrone-parfait-lemon-liqueur-mousse.1839/

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How was it with the steeping?

really ......................Really.........................................REALLY GOOD...!!

strawberry just doesn't seem to work well for me.. but I finally am getting strawberry flavor!!
after checking notes - this was made on 06/24 - so a good 3 weeks of steeping.. and it's phenomenal !!

made this exact to the recipe with one exception .. only used .12% AP as it's very strong to me.. came out really nice..
gonna make up a nice big batch next mix run!!

for those that may be interested: Aerotank Mini (1.8ohm) @ 12.5w on kanger box/mvp3

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
really ......................Really.........................................REALLY GOOD...!!

strawberry just doesn't seem to work well for me.. but I finally am getting strawberry flavor!!
after checking notes - this was made on 06/24 - so a good 3 weeks of steeping.. and it's phenomenal !!

made this exact to the recipe with one exception .. only used .12% AP as it's very strong to me.. came out really nice..
gonna make up a nice big batch next mix run!!

for those that may be interested: Aerotank Mini (1.8ohm) @ 12.5w on kanger box/mvp3
Nice i may mix some of this today i have the flavours now and im craving for a good strawberry! May i ask what ap is?

happy vaping

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
0.5% TFA Acetyl Pyrazine (available here)

AP = the last ingredient for this recipe 'Acetyl Pyrazine'
some people smell / taste this as frito's or a 'sweet and/or nutty' taste - for me it's a very strong fritos smell so I try to 'sneak' up on it or use flavors that contain it in small amounts.

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
AP = the last ingredient for this recipe 'Acetyl Pyrazine'
some people smell / taste this as frito's or a 'sweet and/or nutty' taste - for me it's a very strong fritos smell so I try to 'sneak' up on it or use flavors that contain it in small amounts.
Oh i missed that lol iv stuck to what hic said on the marshmallow fudge seems good so guess i dont need to lower mine looking forward to this one tho

happy vaping

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just made this and pnut butter and the Ferrero roche, thnx alot for sharing hic!
Had to make this with out the meringue though :/ would to see what difference it makes
happy vaping

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the recipe! Made it yesterday. As a shake and vape, it was very chocolately. Now that it's sat for 16hrs, the strawberry is starting to come out and the chocolate has settled down. :)

Jasonfox1988

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the recipe! Made it yesterday. As a shake and vape, it was very chocolately. Now that it's sat for 16hrs, the strawberry is starting to come out and the chocolate has settled down.
Same here lol did you use oba or marshmallow? I used marshmallow would like to see the difference in the 2

happy vaping

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Same here lol did you use oba or marshmallow? I used marshmallow would like to see the difference in the 2

happy vaping
Used the oba oba. Just happened to have it because of ordering it on a whim

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When I mixed this, I made two batches. One as listed and one that substituted FW Fudge Brownie for the FA Choc & Cocoa (at same total %). Both were very nice. There's a slight difference in the taste, but very little. :)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Huckleberried I think he meant increasing the flavors by 50% ie multiply by 1.5 not 50% total flavor. @Hamajang try it. HIC always suggests that you can increase his recipes if you find them too light. Just keep the same proportions.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Huckleberried I think he meant increasing the flavors by 50% ie multiply by 1.5 not 50% total flavor. @Hamajang try it. HIC always suggests that you can increase his recipes if you find them too light. Just keep the same proportions.
I did kinda have one of those, "oh duh..." moments after I posted, LMAO. Thank you for bringing that up. I bet you're right, too.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With HIC's recipes I often make a small amount of base in case I need to increase the total % of flavoring a little. For instance, if a recipe comes to 5% I frequently increase to 7-8%.

VU Sponsors