Become a Patron!

HIC's GERMAN CHRISTMAS COOKIES (Braune Pfeffernüsse)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
For personal non-commercial use only.
Please do not repost this outside of vapingunderground.com.

HIC's Pfeffernüsse recipe: This is my star recipe for Christmas 2014 -- Braune Pfeffernüsse (brown peppernuts) from Germany. They're called "braun" because they're literally dark brown with spices, molasses, and dark brown sugar. "Pfeffer" because they include black and/or white pepper. "Nüsse" because they shaped like little nuts. Don't let the number of ingredients or measures scare you off. See the note at the end to make this using drops.* If you like cookies like these, this is a vape for you. YUM!

2% FA Cookie
1% FA Cinnamon Ceylon
1% FA Anise
0.5% FA Licorice
0.5% FA Honey
0.5% FA Caramel
0.5% TFA Brown Sugar Extra
0.5% FA Orange
0.5% FA Black Pepper
0.25% FA Cardamom
0.25% TFA Holiday Spice
0.25% FA Clove
0.25% NF Ginger
0.25% TFA Acetyl Pyrazine (available here)

This must sit 1 full day for the spices to mellow. Heat steeping is NOT recommended. Super-pure nicotine base is NOT needed for this. Try varying your voltage for incredible flavor nuances - awesome!

substitutions and notes:

FA Cinnamon Ceylon
: Cinnamon is a major flavor here, and FA makes the best bakery cinnamon. TFA Cinnamon Spice at the same percentage will taste almost as good.

FA Anise: Can be replaced with TFA Absinthe at the same percentage.

FA Licorice
: I was using 1.5% TFA Molasses, but it's too bland for pfeffernüsse. FA Licorice is SO good here, I consider it the key to this recipe. It adds the proper dark molasses flavor, dark caramel notes, needed sweetness, AND it's free of "custard note" ingredients (unlike TFA Molasses). If you don't have FA Licorice but have another dark-tasting licorice, give it a try. Avoid FW Black Licorice (it's jelly beans) here. I can not recommend TFA Molasses in this recipe.

FA Honey: Yes, use 0.5% right out of the flavor bottle. It won't taste too strong, I promise. It melds with licorice and caramel for great background flavor.

FA Caramel: If you don't have it, use any caramel you have at the same percent.

TFA Brown Sugar Extra: If you have a plain (not 'extra') brown sugar flavor, use it at the same percentage. If you don't have any brown sugar flavor, you can substitute FA Jamaican Rum (also excellent) or use more caramel (makes a less baked cookie flavor).

FA Orange: Pfeffernüsse often include orange, and it's my favorite version. Instead of Orange, you can use 0.5% FA Jamaican Rum OR 0.5% FA Lemon Sicily OR 0.25% FA Brandy. If you already used Rum in place of Brown Sugar Extra, choose a different option here. All taste great, and all can be found in different versions of the real cookies.

FA Black Pepper: Pfeffernüsse must have pfeffer and won't be complete without it. Don't skimp! In fact, fans of real pfeffernüsse might want to add a bit more after tasting it.

FA Cardamom: Despite the tiny amount, this is a major flavor here. I don't know of any substitutes.

TFA Holiday Spice and FA Clove: If you're missing one of these, you can just skip it. If you skip both, it'll still taste good, but it's not quite spicy enough for pfeffernüsse.

NF Ginger: I know this fantastic flavor is now hard to find. Ginger is a minor ingredient but necessary. If you don't have NF Ginger, you can use 0.5% (yes, twice as much) of Flavor West Ginger. It's not the great flavor of NF's, but I've verified that tastes absolutely fine here. If you don't have any plain ginger flavor, use 0.25-0.5% of any flavoring with some ginger to it, like gingerbread, ginger ale, even FW Staghorn Tobacco.

TFA Acetyl Pyrazine: If you don't have it, you can leave it out. It's adding richness and an illusion of nuts, which are included in some pfeffernüsse recipes.

---------

* How to mix this using drops: To 11 ml of your nic base, add drops of flavoring. Just use the same kind of syringe or dropper for each flavoring, and don't fret -- it'll be great. Ingredients with 0.25% each get 1 drop. Ingredients with 0.5% get 2 drops. Ingredients with 1% get 4 drops. The 2% Cookie is 8 drops. Done!

Last edited:

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HIC, surprisingly I have everything to make this one, except for the Black Pepper. I have FA Flash and FW Capsicum Heat...might either of those work?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
HIC, surprisingly I have everything to make this one, except for the Black Pepper. I have FA Flash and FW Capsicum Heat...might either of those work?

Dang! No - Black Pepper is not like either of those.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This looks really good, I'm going to whip up a 10 ml batch today and taste test it tomorrow.

This is what they look like, my Grandma used to make them all of December. I really miss that.

pfefferneuse.jpg

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I a sooo stoked, I love these things!
WAIT! I am.sooooo pissed, missing honey and black pepper!
Thanks for the share HIC, my credit card company likes you also.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow, I made 2 batches, one original to the recipe, and the other I added 1% FA Rum. Just couldn't wait to test them in a HH357 atomizer, both are freaking fantastic! I might even add a bit more pepper to the next batch, a 30 ml mix.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Wow, I made 2 batches, one original to the recipe, and the other I added 1% FA Rum. Just couldn't wait to test them in a HH357 atomizer, both are freaking fantastic! I might even add a bit more pepper to the next batch, a 30 ml mix.

I'm so glad you like it! If not for your reminders, this wouldn't be done yet.
I hope it's even more "freaking fantastic" after it sits a day like I said it needs to. (lol - I always sneak a taste of everything, too!)

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haven't been back to Germany for many years HIC but I do remember the taste and smell. Terrific. Now when that Black Pepper gets here I can sample some more. Awesome recipe.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made this a couple of days ago and just now popped it in my Reo - gosh - delicious (no surprise here). Very different, subtle adv material!

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tasted mine tonight after letting sit overnight and all day. Put a few drops into my HH357 atomizer and vaped it at 4V. Man, that is some tasty juice. The cookie and Anise came through quite pronounced. Think I need to up the Ginger and Black Pepper a bit.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Black Pepper Ordered:D

Never tried these when I was in Germany.
Too busy with the Awesome Beer, Worst, and French Fries...

When I was in Germany, specifically Bavaria, I used to get weisswürste und brezen with a weissbier around 10am. That was the most popular mid morning nosh where I was.

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was in Germany, specifically Bavaria, I used to get weisswürste und brezen with a weissbier around 10am. That was the most popular mid morning nosh where I was.

Bavaria was great. I spent 3 years in Bamberg when I was in the Army. Loved the beer and the food:)

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Finally tried this one, been sitting for 2 weeks now.

Very good unique flavor, and a "keeper" for me...

Thanks

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally got the Black Pepper I was missing in this recipe. Added per HICs recipe and was amazed at how it made the flavors pop! Don't taste the BP but it made everything else stand up. Won't doubt you again HIC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Finally got the Black Pepper I was missing in this recipe. Added per HICs recipe and was amazed at how it made the flavors pop! Don't taste the BP but it made everything else stand up. Won't doubt you again HIC

Whew! When someone orders a flavoring just because it's in a recipe of mine, I'm always a little nervous they'll regret it. I'm really glad the pfeffer works well for you!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I cannot believe you tamed FA Honey without using a dilution in this. IN-SANE. I also cannot believe it took me this long to mix it up. As always, nice job, HIC. Thank you :)

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dear god how come I haven't found this recipe till now?!?! I LOVE THESE COOKIES!!!

-Kingboomer

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Couple of questions:

Do I need to dilute the AP before use?
If I get CAP Gingerbread, is the AP even necessary?

Thanks man!

-Kingboomer

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Couple of questions:

Do I need to dilute the AP before use?
If I get CAP Gingerbread, is the AP even necessary?

Use 0.25% AP right out of the TFA bottle.
I'd think using CAP Gingerbread would really mess up the combination of spice flavors, but I haven't made it that way.

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sounds good man. What would you recommend as a substitute for the NF ginger (I only have about 3 of the ingredients so I need to place a HUGE order :D ) ?

-Kingboomer

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Sounds good man. What would you recommend as a substitute for the NF ginger (I only have about 3 of the ingredients so I need to place a HUGE order :D ) ?

-Kingboomer

second best in my opinion is Flavor West's Ginger. Not Ginger Ale, just plain Ginger. It doesn't work as well as NF as a major flavor in recipes, but for a minor spot like here, it's absolutely fine.

Last edited:

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Many thanks man. Looks like I know what to ask for for my birthday in Nov :D

-Kingboomer

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK, I'm looking at mamaj's site for getting some small bottles and I noticed "the ginger". Do you have any experience with this flavor, and if so would it be feasible to use it in this recipe? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions man!

-Kingboomer

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
OK, I'm looking at mamaj's site for getting some small bottles and I noticed "the ginger". Do you have any experience with this flavor, and if so would it be feasible to use it in this recipe? Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions man!

Yes - "The Ginger" is indeed the ginger you want and will work perfectly in my recipes that use ginger flavor.

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
AWRIGHT DAMNIT!!!

Got all the stuff to make this, going with the Jamaican rum and brandy for this one. Should be mixing in the next day or two.

-Kingboomer

Kingboomer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This stuff is WONDERFUL!!! I messed up tho, and added .5% brandy (that's OK tho, grandma added extra brandy too ). Thumbs waaaay up on this one man!

-Kingboomer

VU Sponsors