HIC's LIME CURD TARTS

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
For personal non-commercial use only.
Please do not repost this outside of vapingunderground.com.

HIC's Lime Curd Tarts recipe: This is creamy, smooth, tart-and-sweet lime curd with a light cookie crust. Blackcurrant is a dark sweet-tart berry that's the perfect highlight for the creamy lime. This is perfect to vape when your taste buds are tired of sweet, heavy flavors.

2% FA Lime Cold-Pressed (not the lime with 'distilled' in the name)
2% FA Custard (or 1% Custard + 1% FA Nonna Cake!)
1% FA Cookie
1% FA Blackcurrant *

I prefer this one 'shake and vape' for the maximum tart zip of fresh lime.

* If you don't have Blackcurrant, you can leave it out for a plain lime tart, which is also great. If you have FA Kiwi, that's another sweet-and-tart flavor that could work here.

If you have FA Nonna Cake, try it here. It'll taste sweeter and richer than using all Custard, with more vanilla flavor and milder citrus.

Last edited:

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh oh oh a 1:1 bakery and fruit, this one should be good. Gonna sub bilberry for blackcurrant... or maybe pom? Next time. Bilberry first, update inc. Need blackcurrant.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Bilberry and Pom are both very strong to me. Might want to keep those on the low side for starters. 1% or less. You can always add more later if needed.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Oh oh oh a 1:1 bakery and fruit, this one should be good. Gonna sub bilberry for blackcurrant... or maybe pom? Next time. Bilberry first, update inc. Need blackcurrant.

Blackcurrant has good bit of sweetness, but also a tart side. I'd use a pomegranate as a sub before I'd use Bilberry. FA Pomegranate also has that sweet-tart, but bilberry doesn't. TFA Pomegranate IMO lacks the realistic tart bit, but in this recipe, Lime will make up for it, so that one would probably work, too.

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Blackcurrant has good bit of sweetness, but also a tart side. I'd use a pomegranate as a sub before I'd use Bilberry. FA Pomegranate also has that sweet-tart, but bilberry doesn't. TFA Pomegranate IMO lacks the realistic tart bit, but in this recipe, Lime will make up for it, so that one would probably work, too.
Hah too late. You're right about the bilberry, I added another .5% of it because the lime was dominant with it. This was my first taste of the bilberry and it has a fun, light presence in the nose, "above" the lime here that makes an interesting blend once it steps out a tiny bit. The lime isn't going down without a fight though - I try to add more bilberry to turn the taste "blue" and breakfast cereal type sweetness increases, lime taste stays. FA pom next.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hah too late. You're right about the bilberry, I added another .5% of it because the lime was dominant with it. This was my first taste of the bilberry and it has a fun, light presence in the nose, "above" the lime here that makes an interesting blend once it steps out a tiny bit. The lime isn't going down without a fight though - I try to add more bilberry to turn the taste "blue" and breakfast cereal type sweetness increases, lime taste stays. FA pom next.
You're gonna love pomegranate....so goooooood!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well hell HIC! I am just going to simply agree with @Thunderball ! You have so many great recipes as well as others here that I do not need to bother experimenting. There is always something I have to try! I have no time to experiment! I must love lime because this is yet another gourmet recipe I am currently really enjoying! thank you!

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right hand to God, I read this as Lime Turd Carts every time. Will be making this soon since my $550 order from overseas just came in Canada Post this morning. It took me 8 hours to get all of the FA only recipes from here onto a spreadsheet and I ordered 59 flavours.
And I had to read Turd Carts twice to find anything wrong with it. My brain never stopped potty humor so I've had to sensor myself since I was 10... the stinky puns are automatic. For this recipe's sake we need to change the subject ...

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone tried this with lemon? I'm only asking because nobody's mentioned it and it seems like it would be so obviously good--but maybe there's some reason it wasn't mentioned as a substitution flavor?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Has anyone tried this with lemon? I'm only asking because nobody's mentioned it and it seems like it would be so obviously good--but maybe there's some reason it wasn't mentioned as a substitution flavor?

I like the contrast of tart, juicy lime with sweet-and-tart currant, but the culinary world does use lemon+blackcurrant, too. I think it would taste milder and a little sweeter. A tiny hint of coconut might be good for contrast.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like the contrast of tart, juicy lime with sweet-and-tart currant, but the culinary world does use lemon+blackcurrant, too. I think it would taste milder and a little sweeter. A tiny hint of coconut might be good for contrast.
I really, really like eating english muffins with lemon curd and butter on them. I don't get to do it very often, so its crazy-deliciousness is probably blown all out of proportion in my mind. But I'm thinking about trying your recipe with lemon (or maybe lemon with teensy bit of lime), but without the blackcurrant, and seeing how that approximates lemon curd on, say, a biscuit. (Also very good, btw:))

Maybe, instead of FA cookie, FA Apple Pie could stand in for english muffin and walnut/coconut (in the proportions you've talked about elsewhere creating a buttery effect) could have a place in a final mix that tasted like english muffins with lemon curd and butter? Oh, SNAYAP! I am just so much better at sitting around throwing out general ideas than I am at getting down to it. Blah, blah, blah! I'll report if I overcome my general laziness and something good comes of it. As always, thanks for the inspiration! :)

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On my "round 2" of the HIC mixes I like (don't plan to modify), I divide a 60ml batch into 10ml bottles for some light additive experimentation...

When I add 0.5% citric acid solution (10% in PG) the lime flavor stays more present beyond the first 2 days. IMO, this still tastes like shake'n'vape after 10 days like this - the citrus is still fresh tasting. The downside to this is some of the subtler characteristics of the cookie are masked very slightly, which imo also contributes to the shake'n'vape taste (what's masked imo is what takes a 4-5 day steep of the original recipe to appreciate anyway).

Citric acid makes a steep of this necessary unless you compensate by adding more cookie imo, happy mixing

Drockalese

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I realise that this is quite old now, but I have tried this and I'm getting hardly any flavour. I have to add that I really do struggle with taste due to one or two health issues. Can the concentrates be increased without ruining the original? If so would it be equal increases? I'm not new to vaping, but am an absolute noob to DIY :confused:

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For personal non-commercial use only.
Please do not repost this outside of vapingunderground.com.

HIC's Lime Curd Tarts recipe: This is creamy, smooth, tart-and-sweet lime curd with a light cookie crust. Blackcurrant is a dark sweet-tart berry that's the perfect highlight for the creamy lime. This is perfect to vape when your taste buds are tired of sweet, heavy flavors.

2% FA Lime Cold-Pressed (not the lime with 'distilled' in the name)
2% FA Custard
1% FA Cookie
1% FA Blackcurrant *

I prefer this one 'shake and vape' for the maximum tart zip of fresh lime.

* If you don't have Blackcurrant, you can leave it out for a plain lime tart, which is also great. If you have FA Kiwi, that's another sweet-and-tart flavor that could work here.
Bookmarked;)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Can the concentrates be increased without ruining the original? If so would it be equal increases?

Sure! Just keep the ratios the same to get the same flavor. You could go 3% on the first two and 1.5% on the second two. Or 4% on the first two and 2% on the second two, for example. Be sure to shake the flavorings before you measure - especially Lime!

Drockalese

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sure! Just keep the ratios the same to get the same flavor. You could go 3% on the first two and 1.5% on the second two. Or 4% on the first two and 2% on the second two, for example. Be sure to shake the flavorings before you measure - especially Lime!
Thanks HIC, that's great. Will give it another go :D

SteveMc

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I need to remember to comment once I've tried your juices, always like.
This one can be defined with just 3 letters but I'll add some more words to make the post worthwhile...
OMG Love it love it love it!
Thanks, HIC. :)

VU Sponsors