Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, top 10 I can think of:

FA Bread Crust - yurrrk
FA Dark Vapure - I cannot handle this (yet others like this one, the maniacs)
FA oRYental4 - does anyone use this? anyone at all? More herbal than tobacco, and not "that" herb, either.
FA Yogurt, FA Condensed Milk - (yes, some others do use them)

Inawera Exotic Roots - moldy ginseng & potato

Nature's Flavors Brown Sugar, not because of the flavor, but because OMG wtf is that layer of sludgy white goop? Muh lungs! A bunch of theirs are like that, but this one's the worst.

TFA Oatmeal Cookie - what is this horror show?
TFA Raisin - says who?
TFA Kahlua and Cream - I think they discontinued it. I'd like to take credit.

And then there are all the ones that just aren't named right, florals that taste just like eating a bouquet, and Capella flavors with diketone overload that taste like <bleep> to me.

So @Teresa P - what are your more horrid rejects?
I have to agree with the dark vapure. I used to make a tobacco juice for a lady I worked with, and as long as it had 2 drops of that nasty stuff in it, she loved it. Made me hurl just to open the bottle...and I found a recipe for Halo Belgian cocoa that required a very small percentage. I knew I hated it, but I'd read it made the recipe taste "authentic," so I did it. And it went straight down the sink.
One of Nature's Flavors that I absolutely fell in love with was zabagglioni...until I had it for about two weeks. At the two week mark, it seemed to have developed a layer of white sludge in the bottom of the bottle. It dissipated when shaken, but made the flavoring look like milk. That didn't sit well, do it became drain cleaner too.
I gave away my FA mango (I know, I'm sorry!), it tasted rancid to me in anything I used it in. I pull out the Inawera when I make my beloved Thai Mango Sticky Rice (one of my HIC favorites!), and lychee went in the dump pile too.
There were also a couple of off brand apple, lemon, and lime flavors I got when I first started mixing from MadVapes that were swill....Lorann's raspberry and pineapple....and you have no idea how close I came to dumping my AP. It took me a year of keeping it in a zip lock bag shoved into a coffee can before I ever even started getting used to the smell....glad I got over that one, as I love it in mixes!

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I believe certain people pickup certain flavours differently when they're vaporised.

The beer flavour from Joy must be attributed to the ingredient that FA used to give it a dough flavour. I personally use it more for the sugar accent in it. I don't get much fried dough from it as I get from Zeppola and definitely not beer but then I've never tried it at high percentages.

On the other hand, I get a really weird taste from almost all orange flavourings. I first tried FW blood orange which tastes really good in a drink. When I vape it the first hit gives out a hint of burnt chicken to me. I thought that maybe I was getting bad rebottled flavours but then I bought FA orange directly from Italy and I still got the same horrid taste. My brother had the same reaction to it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'd flip if I tasted chicken with the orange flavorings. Dude, just add cranberry! ;)

I do get "beer" from Joy, no matter how low I take that one, which keeps me from thinking about Zeppola, and also because I didn't like Nonna's. Cake flavors elude me. Is ok, I have cookie :)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3 parts sweet, 1 part grease. It reminds me of the lingering flavor after I've finished eating fried dough or funnel cake. It's not good to me above 3% in anything, and I don't use it stand alone. Some people compare the "yeasty" note in Joy to stale beer, which apparently tastes repulsive. I wouldn't know as I've never been much of a beer drinker myself.

Joy is an essential component in just about every bakery vape I mix these days.

There you go...stale beer. So you use it for the sweetness only or is the greasy part adding something?

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A common theme I've been seeing is the evolution, for lack of a better word, of our tastes. When I first tried Bavarian Cream I thought it was putrid. But recently I tried it again and it was ok, not great, but vapable. The lesson, I guess, is to not throw stuff away so quickly and give some things a shot every few months.

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A common theme I've been seeing is the evolution, for lack of a better word, of our tastes. When I first tried Bavarian Cream I thought it was putrid. But recently I tried it again and it was ok, not great, but vapable. The lesson, I guess, is to not throw stuff away so quickly and give some things a shot every few months.

Bavarian cream from TFA apparently needs a good steed. Try Lorann and tell me what you think; for me it's night and day.

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'd flip if I tasted chicken with the orange flavorings. Dude, just add cranberry! ;)

I do get "beer" from Joy, no matter how low I take that one, which keeps me from thinking about Zeppola, and also because I didn't like Nonna's. Cake flavors elude me. Is ok, I have cookie :)

I use Joy in some bakery recipes but not that often. Nonnas not so much because it has a very distinct flavour; I have only 1 or 2 recipes in which in shines but nothing else.

On the other hand, Zeppola is in another league for me. Spot on flavour profile and just delicious on its own. I really think you should give it a try.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
tmi.gif

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't taste anything even resembling Joy in Zeppola (thank goodness). I still do Joy at very low percentages in mixes, but in my opinion Joy doesn't stay "fresh" if left out in quantity. I keep a 5ml bottle out for mixing and the rest stays in the freezer, refilling as needed. It doesn't seem to get "stale" if I do that.
It took me a bit to get used to Nonna's and to me, it always needs to age in a mix. I think it tastes identical to TFA's red velvet cake, which I love, but it's not so popular with many other mixers. Lorann's cream cheese icing goes well with it for that reason.
And a big thumbs up to Lorann's Bavarian Cream! But anyone's Bavarian is a "love it or hate it" thing. You either like it or you don't, I've never spoken to anyone on the fence about it.

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes Nonnas Cake definitely needs to age. Most FA flavours don't, especially fruits; they're good as shake and vape. Same goes for Lorann. Banana Cream Lorann is great out of the bottle, whereas the TFA version tastes weird to begin with and only gets better after a week.

Teresa P, my version of red velvet cake is very very potent, which is why I don't use it. Is this the same for you? Maybe I should make a dilution and try it out again.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
When I was brand new to DIY I mixed a batch of new-to-me flavors at 15%. One was Hangsen Turtle. I was anticipating a candy bar flavor (which it was probably supposed to be) but it was so horrid I figured it was actually turtle meat flavor & threw it out. My nic (I vaped 36mg/ml, oh yeah) smelled like low tide, which didn't help. If not for disposables, I surely would have gone back to smoking and quit trying to DIY.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I was brand new to DIY I mixed a batch of new-to-me flavors at 15%. One was Hangsen Turtle. I was anticipating a candy bar flavor (which it was probably supposed to be) but it was so horrid I figured it was actually turtle meat flavor & threw it out. My nic (I vaped 36mg/ml, oh yeah) smelled like low tide, which didn't help. If not for disposables, I surely would have gone back to smoking and quit trying to DIY.
Lol! Turtle with a bit of the sea air! Yum! :giggle:

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whoa, yeah, HS flavorings tend to be pretty concentrated. Most of the stuff I like from them is good for me at 2-5%. Still think I might have you beat, @HeadInClouds, with my first sample mix of FA Vienna Cream at 12%: The first and only time a vape has literally made me gag.

Who knows what's going on with the beer/Joy thing. Most people swear by butyric acid as a reasonable sub for d/a/ap, but it tastes exactly like vomit to me unless I use it in such small doses that I can't even tell the flavor it's supporting is there. I have to steer well clear of TFA's DX line and most of CAP's v2 stuff as well, even though they get tons of praise.

It's pretty fascinating how people's tastes can differ so completely!

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Joy...there is no joy. Does it diminish? I made Gooey Coconut Cookies 4 days ago with Joy @ 1%. It overwhelms everything. I'll cut it down to .5 but does it get better? Is there a sub for it?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Joy...there is no joy. Does it diminish? I made Gooey Coconut Cookies 4 days ago with Joy @ 1%. It overwhelms everything. I'll cut it down to .5 but does it get better? Is there a sub for it?
That one hits everyone differently. Some love it, others get "beer" from it. I'm in the latter.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think there is a sub, I would let it sit for 4-5 days it blends in nicely & I don't taste it. Just makes Gooey Coconut Cookies yum!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

There's not a sub for Joy in my opinion. Some people have liked Meringue (either FA or TFA) or Marshmallow, but it sure doesn't have the same flavor. Absolutely try the .5 Joy, and let it sit a few days before you vape it. If it's still overwhelming to you a week after mixing it, it's pretty safe to say you're just one of those people who can't use it. All my recipes with Joy say so in the description, because it's such a love/hate flavor. I sure wish there were an explanation; it does fantastic things for bakery flavors for those who can use it.

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Are you certain it's the Joy and have you tried either Joy or FA Coconut stand alone to verify? FA Coconut has a very pronounced (to my buds) buttery/puke note that puts me off.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's not a sub for Joy in my opinion. Some people have liked Meringue (either FA or TFA) or Marshmallow, but it sure doesn't have the same flavor. Absolutely try the .5 Joy, and let it sit a few days before you vape it. If it's still overwhelming to you a week after mixing it, it's pretty safe to say you're just one of those people who can't use it. All my recipes with Joy say so in the description, because it's such a love/hate flavor. I sure wish there were an explanation; it does fantastic things for bakery flavors for those who can use it.

Thanks. I'll try it at .5 and wait.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you certain it's the Joy and have you tried either Joy or FA Coconut stand alone to verify? FA Coconut has a very pronounced (to my buds) buttery/puke note that puts me off.

Yes, I've tried them separately and the coconut is fine. Joy has an extremely distinct taste and I know it as soon as I taste it. The thing is when I made the recipe I thought I should cut it but I wanted to try it at the original numbers. I only made 10ml, so it's not a problem.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Two questions regarding FA.
They have Custard Cream and Vanilla Custard. In HIC's notes, he lists it as just Custard. Which is he referring to?
Is there an adequate sub for FA Honey?

Ok, I just read the notes on one of his recipes and it says the Custard adds lemon and vanilla to the recipe which is the description for the Custard Cream I'm looking at. Am I correct?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Two questions regarding FA.
They have Custard Cream and Vanilla Custard. In HIC's notes, he lists it as just Custard. Which is he referring to?
Is there an adequate sub for FA Honey?

Ok, I just read the notes on one of his recipes and it says the Custard adds lemon and vanilla to the recipe which is the description for the Custard Cream I'm looking at. Am I correct?
This was taken from ukvapers.org, where a similar question was asked, and this is the posted response from a FlavourArt vendor:

RE: FA Custard Cream concentrate
The Custard Cream is Custard - the Italian name is Crema Pasticerra and the new bottles
now carry the 'Cream' name. Italy has some strange laws; you cannot call a flavour 'Strawberry'
or any other accurately descriptive name, so we have Red Touch, Black Touch (Licorice) etc.
There is a citrus tang initially, but steeping sees it mellow out and the richer flavour develop.
Custard is one of the very few flavours that does require steeping when mixed.

John.
http://ukvapers.org/Thread-FA-Custard-Cream-concentrate

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This was taken from ukvapers.org, where a similar question was asked, and this is the posted response from a FlavourArt vendor:

RE: FA Custard Cream concentrate
The Custard Cream is Custard - the Italian name is Crema Pasticerra and the new bottles
now carry the 'Cream' name. Italy has some strange laws; you cannot call a flavour 'Strawberry'
or any other accurately descriptive name, so we have Red Touch, Black Touch (Licorice) etc.
There is a citrus tang initially, but steeping sees it mellow out and the richer flavour develop.
Custard is one of the very few flavours that does require steeping when mixed.

John.
http://ukvapers.org/Thread-FA-Custard-Cream-concentrate

So that explains why I couldn't find apple on the FA site until I stumbled upon Stark (Apple). Weird.

Thanks a lot.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But whatever you made with Tiramisu - I assume within the past 24 hours or so -- how about you throw that bottle in a drawer and make a note on your calendar to taste it again the first week of March. Let's see if you like it after it's mellowed a bit, if you're willing to experiment.

Ok, it's the first week of March. You were right. It's delicious.

Now...about that Joy. :cheers:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Think Easter! If you'd eat those pastel fruity marshmallows right out of the bag, vaping this will make you smile.

New today at HIC's Mixes : Chubby Bunny
p Chubby Bunny.jpg
"The sweet, familiar flavor of a big mouthful of the pictured fruity marshmallows. This recipe is recommended for high-VG vapers using high-quality nicotine (or none at all). The recipe requires only diketone-free FlavourArt flavorings, including Lime Tahiti Distilled."

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think there is a sub, I would let it sit for 4-5 days it blends in nicely & I don't taste it. Just makes Gooey Coconut Cookies yum!

Wow, another one! I made Lemon Pudding Cake which has Joy @ 1%. I waited 10 days and it was so good that I went through the entire 10ml in a day. I couldn't detect the yeast flavor at all. Also, the Lemon had calmed down as well. So, another lesson learned.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Has anyone seen this? New at Wizard Labs, "Wonder Flavors"
https://wizardlabs.us/index.php?route=product/category&path=199

I saw those. One has "Ruyan" in the name, maybe a hint they're from Ruyan of Hong Kong, or maybe intended to taste like theirs. Ruyan tangled with the FDA back when FDA proposed classifying e-cigs as medical devices (https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm225181.htm).

p.s. All the WF flavors say "May contain diketones. May contain traces of nuts." - fyi

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi, I just saw this recipe, Dulce de Leche Churros. I really don't feel like ordering anything else for awhile as I have almost 140 total flavors now and I'm tired of what I have to go through to get them. I've listed my FA flavors below. Will I be able to make this recipe?

Sorry for being a pain, but the only commercial juice I ever liked was a Churros and I've been looking for a good recipe since, to no avail. Knowing HIC's work, I've no doubt this will be good.

AAA Magic Mask
Almond
Anise
Apple - Stark
Apple Pie
Apricot
Banana
Bilberry
Bitter Wizard
Brandy
Butterscotch
Cantaloupe
Cappuccino
Caramel
Catalan Cream
Cinnamon Ceylon
Cocoa
Coconut
Coffee Espresso
Cookie (Biscotto)
Custard Cream
Forrest Mix
Fresh Cream
Fresh Fig
Fuji Apple
Hazelnut
Irish Cream
Jamaica Special
Joy
Lemon Sicily
Lime - Cold Pressed
Liquid Amber
Mandarin
Maple Syrup
Marshmallow
Marzipan
Maxx Blend
Meringue
MTS Vape Wizard
Nonna's Cake
Nut Mix
Orange
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Strawberry - Red Touch
Tiramisu
Torrone
Vanilla Bourbon
Vanilla Classic
Vanilla Tahity
Vienna Cream
Walnut
White Peach
Zeppola

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi, I just saw this recipe, Dulce de Leche Churros. I really don't feel like ordering anything else for awhile as I have almost 140 total flavors now and I'm tired of what I have to go through to get them. I've listed my FA flavors below. Will I be able to make this recipe?

Sorry for being a pain, but the only commercial juice I ever liked was a Churros and I've been looking for a good recipe since, to no avail. Knowing HIC's work, I've no doubt this will be good.

AAA Magic Mask
Almond
Anise
Apple - Stark
Apple Pie
Apricot
Banana
Bilberry
Bitter Wizard
Brandy
Butterscotch
Cantaloupe
Cappuccino
Caramel
Catalan Cream
Cinnamon Ceylon
Cocoa
Coconut
Coffee Espresso
Cookie (Biscotto)
Custard Cream
Forrest Mix
Fresh Cream
Fresh Fig
Fuji Apple
Hazelnut
Irish Cream
Jamaica Special
Joy
Lemon Sicily
Lime - Cold Pressed
Liquid Amber
Mandarin
Maple Syrup
Marshmallow
Marzipan
Maxx Blend
Meringue
MTS Vape Wizard
Nonna's Cake
Nut Mix
Orange
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Strawberry - Red Touch
Tiramisu
Torrone
Vanilla Bourbon
Vanilla Classic
Vanilla Tahity
Vienna Cream
Walnut
White Peach
Zeppola
Yes!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

AAA Magic Mask
Almond
Anise
Apple - Stark
Apple Pie
Apricot
Banana
Bilberry
Bitter Wizard
Brandy
Butterscotch
Cantaloupe
Cappuccino
Caramel
Catalan Cream
Cinnamon Ceylon
Cocoa
Coconut
Coffee Espresso
Cookie (Biscotto)
Custard Cream
Forrest Mix
Fresh Cream
Fresh Fig
Fuji Apple
Hazelnut
Irish Cream
Jamaica Special
Joy
Lemon Sicily
Lime - Cold Pressed
Liquid Amber
Mandarin
Maple Syrup
Marshmallow
Marzipan
Maxx Blend
Meringue
MTS Vape Wizard
Nonna's Cake
Nut Mix
Orange
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Strawberry - Red Touch
Tiramisu
Torrone
Vanilla Bourbon
Vanilla Classic
Vanilla Tahity
Vienna Cream
Walnut
White Peach
Zeppola
Just checked yes you have everything!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

Thank you to everyone letting him know he has all the ingredients!

@bobnat - nice collection of flavors you have there! It's never a problem to answer a question like that. Fastest way to contact me is by email; here's where: http://www.hicsmixes.com/notes-etc.html (include your email address if you want a reply, or leave it blank to send anonymous insults ;)

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Dulce de leche churros is a nice recipe but I think now that Zeppola is out (and since you seem to have it) you can certainly play a bit with it and get a more authentic churros flavour.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Dulce de leche churros is a nice recipe but I think now that Zeppola is out (and since you seem to have it) you can certainly play a bit with it and get a more authentic churros flavour.

@soulseek makes a good point here, and thank you for the reminder. I'll update Dulce de Leche Churros in the next few days (people who already have it will get an email with a link to the new recipe free). I had that in progress some time ago, don't know what distracted me. Anyway, Zeppola simplifies that recipe & requires more than minor changes in the other ingredients. @bobnat, you have all the flavorings for this one, too. ;)

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@soulseek makes a good point here, and thank you for the reminder. I'll update Dulce de Leche Churros in the next few days (people who already have it will get an email with a link to the new recipe free). I had that in progress some time ago, don't know what distracted me. Anyway, Zeppola simplifies that recipe & requires more than minor changes in the other ingredients. @bobnat, you have all the flavorings for this one, too. ;)

That's good news. I'll wait for the update then. I've got so much juice now it's almost comical.

Thanks.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cool! Looking forward to it! Thanks HIC! Thanks @soulseek for reminding HIC !:)

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The Churros recipe was one of my favourite so that was always at the back of my mind. I've heard really good things about Flavorah's Rich Cinnamon being a good bakery cinnamon and am waiting to try with that as well as FA.

VU Sponsors