Become a Patron!

HIC's Mixes: DIY recipes store

ilikeitfruity

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think fauk were a bit slow getting the newer orange flavours up on the site too.
really excited for juicy strawberry as I got the updated quikberry too,and I always come back to that mix,it's a favourite for my sister and her husband too and a new version that maybe won't fade/change after a while.I don't get that but I mix big bottles for them and they had noticed a difference.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Someone once told us...let's see...how did that go?....oh wait, I remember..."Get busy mixing and vape faster!" LMAO!!

The good news: I've gotten sidetracked with one Flavorah flavoring that might be particularly useful for FA fans.
The bad news: It's embarrassing how many almost-there attempts I've poured down the drain.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The good news: I've gotten sidetracked with one Flavorah flavoring that might be particularly useful for FA fans.
The bad news: It's embarrassing how many almost-there attempts I've poured down the drain.
I confess, some of these are very hard to work with. I keep reading "Oh, just two drops will flavor a 15ml bottle" and how we only need a "fraction" of this and that. With some of them, I'm sorry, it just isn't true, and for that reason I won't be using a few of them ever again. And I have a couple that are virtually useless - like their custard. It has no taste, no substance, hardly any aroma, and I've yet to figure out exactly what it brings to the table. I love their blood orange at 4-5%, so good! But I mentioned that somewhere else and got a cyber-slap on the back of my hand and "No, you should never use it at over 1-2%!" Bull crap, lady, I tried that and got nothin', why you think I tried more?? I know taste is subjective, I've lived by that mantra since I started mixing, but with these I try to ignore all the "standards" and just go with what I know. And taste.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I confess, some of these are very hard to work with. I keep reading "Oh, just two drops will flavor a 15ml bottle" and how we only need a "fraction" of this and that. With some of them, I'm sorry, it just isn't true, and for that reason I won't be using a few of them ever again. And I have a couple that are virtually useless - like their custard. It has no taste, no substance, hardly any aroma, and I've yet to figure out exactly what it brings to the table. I love their blood orange at 4-5%, so good! But I mentioned that somewhere else and got a cyber-slap on the back of my hand and "No, you should never use it at over 1-2%!" Bull crap, lady, I tried that and got nothin', why you think I tried more?? I know taste is subjective, I've lived by that mantra since I started mixing, but with these I try to ignore all the "standards" and just go with what I know. And taste.

I often wonder if there's something wrong with me because I'll see recipes that have 4-5% total flavorings but when I try it, I get nothing. I haven't smoked in a very long time so can't use the excuse that my taste buds are dead because of that. I can taste food okay, I guess, because my husband and kids like what I cook and bake. So it can't just be me that needs more like 10-15% flavorings. :D

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On the contrary, I'm perfectly happy with <10% flavoring but if it tastes like it needs more (to me), then I'm gonna add more. Now that's the subjective taste thing.
I work with a lady who is indeed a "super taster," you can't hide anything from her in a juice. I don't care if there's .05% of something in there, she'll pick it out. Others taste a 10% mix and say "What is it?" I think sometimes it's just genetics.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I just got off the FLV Fan site. From there I had gone and looked at her recipes at ELR. It's amazing the amounts she uses, almost nothing above 1% and most under .5%. She has to be a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious taster. Me, I couldn't taste nuclear waste under 5%.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got off the FLV Fan site. From there I had gone and looked at her recipes at ELR. It's amazing the amounts she uses, almost nothing above 1% and most under .5%. She has to be a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious taster. Me, I couldn't taste nuclear waste under 5%.
Sorry, but I have to consider the source with some of them. ;)
Oh I know there actually are a scant amount of flavors that only require a drop or two to be tasted. The rich cinnamon is one of them. TFA caramel cappuccino (I think) is another, as well as holiday spice. But we both know from experience that some flavors require more with the FV line. I'm definitely staying tuned in to HIC's notes for more info. His FA notes are spot on.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, but I have to consider the source with some of them. ;)
Oh I know there actually are a scant amount of flavors that only require a drop or two to be tasted. The rich cinnamon is one of them. TFA caramel cappuccino (I think) is another, as well as holiday spice. But we both know from experience that some flavors require more with the FV line. I'm definitely staying tuned in to HIC's notes for more info. His FA notes are spot on.

I agree!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
...Oh I know there actually are a scant amount of flavors that only require a drop or two to be tasted. The rich cinnamon is one of them. TFA caramel cappuccino (I think) is another, as well as holiday spice.

I agree on all 3 of those, though I used to vape TFA Caramel Capp way stronger than reasonable people (intentionally, because I liked that burnt caramel flavor), and I wouldn't hesitate to use lots more Rich Cinnamon than I've seen mentioned by many Flavorah fans.

I've never found a flavoring I can taste as a standalone vape <1% that isn't also a strong scent/flavor straight out of the bottle. Obviously some people like more/less flavoring than I do, but I aim to be consistent enough that the relative numbers are useful. If I list one flavor at 2% standalone and another at 4%, it's because the second literally takes twice as much for me to taste full flavor. I'm using the same criteria for Flavorah as for FA or any other brand; hopefully the relative numbers can give FA fans a good idea of Flavorah strength...and vice-versa.

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Certain FLV flavours are very concentrated, so much so that I have them in 10% dilution. Rich cinnamon for example or Alpine Strawberry.
The rest of them are generally as strong as FA flavours for me, which means I'll use them between 0.5-2% in mixes.

Hi there HIC. I dont mean to be a prick, I appreciate the work you are doing in trying to help the DIY community but I have to say I have purchased various of your recipes and was not impressed by any of them. I found them very underwhelming, weak on flavor or just not tasting as they were described at all. Again, Im not trying to bash you in any way Im just a customer that was super excited to mix up some of these juices and ended up kind of disappointed. What kind of equipment do you use to taste your juice ?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hi there HIC. I dont mean to be a prick, I appreciate the work you are doing in trying to help the DIY community but I have to say I have purchased various of your recipes and was not impressed by any of them. I found them very underwhelming, weak on flavor or just not tasting as they were described at all. Again, Im not trying to bash you in any way Im just a customer that was super excited to mix up some of these juices and ended up kind of disappointed. What kind of equipment do you use to taste your juice ?

Hi there - nice to meet you, and welcome to VU. I'm sorry to see we got off to a bad start; let's see what I can do to fix that.

Since this is your first post, I have no idea what kinds of flavors you enjoy, what supplies you have, what brands you enjoy vaping (or vendor juice you've been impressed with), which recipes you've tried, etc. It's especially helpful to know what you've enjoyed vaping. While no single flavoring/brand/recipe will please every vaper, a good way to see whether my mixing style suits you is to try some of my public recipes. Those are all here on VU in this subforum: http://vapingunderground.com/forums/diy-e-liquid-recipes.50/. Mine have names beginning "HIC's..." (I have about 80 there, mixed in with lots of great recipes by lots of DIYers.) If you can describe your preferences, experience, and favorite flavor profiles, I can try to point you to something I think you'd enjoy. I'm happy to do that here in this thread, or by private message here on VU (click my avatar on the left, then on 'start a conversation') or by email (on this page: http://www.hicsmixes.com/notes-etc.html - include your email address if you'd like a reply). So if you're willing to give me more info so we can work together, I'll do what I can to help you DIY juice that pleases you.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Hi there - nice to meet you, and welcome to VU. I'm sorry to see we got off to a bad start; let's see what I can do to fix that.

Since this is your first post, I have no idea what kinds of flavors you enjoy, what supplies you have, what brands you enjoy vaping (or vendor juice you've been impressed with), which recipes you've tried, etc. It's especially helpful to know what you've enjoyed vaping. While no single flavoring/brand/recipe will please every vaper, a good way to see whether my mixing style suits you is to try some of my public recipes. Those are all here on VU in this subforum: http://vapingunderground.com/forums/diy-e-liquid-recipes.50/. Mine have names beginning "HIC's..." (I have about 80 there, mixed in with lots of great recipes by lots of DIYers.) If you can describe your preferences, experience, and favorite flavor profiles, I can try to point you to something I think you'd enjoy. I'm happy to do that here in this thread, or by private message here on VU (click my avatar on the left, then on 'start a conversation') or by email (on this page: http://www.hicsmixes.com/notes-etc.html - include your email address if you'd like a reply). So if you're willing to give me more info so we can work together, I'll do what I can to help you DIY juice that pleases you.
Class act.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Welcome. You have to remember that not everyone has the same taste buds, so what works for one person might not work for another. I know HIC uses what I consider to be pretty low amounts of flavoring. So I take his recipes and make them as-is. If they aren't strong enough, I double the percentages. If that's not enough, I triple them. You get the idea. :)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hi there HIC thanks for getting back to me. I really apologize if I came off rude, that was not the intent of my message. Regardless, I have a lot of flavour art concentrates, some inawera and tfa. I only really enjoy dessert type flavours, strawberry creams being my absolute favourite but, problem is I get vapers tongue quite quickly with that. I also enjoy cookie type flavours, or donuts or really any kind of sweet pastry. Decoded Big Foot is a really nice donut vape that i really enjoy. I have tried your Quickberry Pink, lemon creme cookies, strawberry crown cake, peanut butter, chocolate (that was a nice chocolate flavour actually, but chocolate is not a big hit with me), your scones with different fruits. I've also purchased your donut recipe but am missing a couple of flavours for that one so I have not mixed it up yet. As you can tell, pretty much all deserts. If you could point me in the right direction for a good recipe of this sort that you'd think i would enjoy, that would be appreciated. Thanks again.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
...I only really enjoy dessert type flavours, strawberry creams being my absolute favourite ...

Do you have FA Juicy Strawberry yet? Here's a recipe to try it in: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-berry-blasted-cheesecake-for-fa-juicy-strawberry.359251/. Because strawberry is your favorite flavor, that flavoring will tell you if FA is the brand for you, and the recipe will give you a good idea if you like my general mixing style. That's a pretty easy recipe to experiment with. Any adjustments it may take to please you (sweeter, different strength on flavoring, different PG/VG ratio, cleaner nic base, more/less "steep" time ... etc.) will likely remain true for you with my other recipes, too.

You mentioned disagreeing with my descriptions of how recipes taste. Have you found the same true for my "notes on FA flavorings" ? (you can download it here: http://www.hicsmixes.com/notes-etc.html - enter a plain zero for price to take it free) If you generally agree with those descriptions, you'll likely find my descriptions of my recipes pretty accurate, too. To find out for sure, try one of my "flavor-match" recipes designed to taste like the real thing. Here's a simple one to shake and vape: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-white-tic-tac.1773/. If that does not taste to you like an actual white tic-tac, then my recipe descriptions (and thus my recipes in general) are probably NOT going to be useful to you.

Whether you're new to DIY or to FlavourArt, I recommend getting to know your flavorings well before you mix with them. That's literally what my "notes on" document is - notes to myself as I tried each flavor separately (constantly updated as I keep mixing & learning). If you find my descriptions accurate for FA flavors you already have, that document can serve as a "menu" to choose other FA flavors -- and might save you the time of trying each separately before you mix with them. You can consider my FA recipes (and my descriptions of how they taste) an extension of those notes, with earlier ones here on VU, then continuing with my HIC's Mixes store recipes.

I'd still be experimenting with new flavors/combos, writing flavor notes, and developing new recipes even if no online vape community existed -- it keeps me from smoking. Other quit attempts, even health scares, didn't work for me. I owe my health to vaping and DIY -- with FA flavors in particular. Ultimately my motivation for sharing my flavor obsession online is to help others quit tobacco & enjoy staying quit. I know vaping/DIY/FA may not be the solution for everyone, and not all here ever used tobacco, but I'm willing to do what I can to help you (anyone reading this) get DIY to work for you. Hopefully one of the steps I described here can help you (martin1989) in that regard, but if not, there's more we can try.

I dont have the Juicy Strawberry just yet. I have checked my local supplier and they dont have it either but I will order it in the future and see how it tastes. Currently I have, FA Strawberry, Tfa Strawberry Ripe, Tfa strawberry, Capella Sweet Strawberry (RF version) and Inawera Shisha Strawberry. Is the juicy strawberry similar to Capellas Sweet Strawberry at all or any others that I currently have that I could possibly substitute for the time being ?

I picked up the supplies over lunch to mix up your White Tic Tacs and the Thin Mint cookies. I will also give your Mellow Vanilla a shot. Will be mixing those when I get in from work. Unfortunately I am currently fighting some serious vapers tongue with strawberries and I cant taste strawberry juice, either mine or actual vendors. Hoping that the White Tic Tacs will be good, that way i can vape some mint juice as Ive heard it helps with vapers tongue.

I do already have your notes on FA flavours and I find them quite helpful. I will let you know how the white Tic Tacs went as well as the Thin Mint Cookies. Thanks for all your help.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Unfortunately I am currently fighting some serious vapers tongue with strawberries and I cant taste strawberry juice, either mine or actual vendors. Hoping that the White Tic Tacs will be good, that way i can vape some mint juice as Ive heard it helps with vapers tongue.

That sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it works out if you get a chance.

HIC I would like to report back. I have mixed your Mellow Vanilla, Thin Mint Cookies, White Tic Tac and Tiramisu Cream.

The Mellow Vanilla could use stronger flavouring (canadian spelling) so I will try that. I enjoy the thin mint cookies but the taste I get most is the Cocoa. Would mixing this with 1% Chocolate and 1% Cocoa instead of 2% Cocoa ease the flavour into more of a milk chocolate rather than the bold cocoa powder ?

The white tic tacs taste like white tic tacs, Ive tasted a little bit of the juice before vaping it and it was dead on to a white tic tac. Made my girlfriend try too lol. This is a keeper.

The tiramisu is also good, but I think im gonna try dropping the percentage on the tiramisu slightly because the coffee taste is pronounced.

Is there a HIC dessert recipe that you would suggest for me, whether free or for purchase.

Thanks again.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
HIC I would like to report back. I have mixed your Mellow Vanilla, Thin Mint Cookies, White Tic Tac and Tiramisu Cream.

The Mellow Vanilla could use stronger flavouring (canadian spelling) so I will try that. I enjoy the thin mint cookies but the taste I get most is the Cocoa. Would mixing this with 1% Chocolate and 1% Cocoa instead of 2% Cocoa ease the flavour into more of a milk chocolate rather than the bold cocoa powder ?

The white tic tacs taste like white tic tacs, Ive tasted a little bit of the juice before vaping it and it was dead on to a white tic tac. Made my girlfriend try too lol. This is a keeper.

The tiramisu is also good, but I think im gonna try dropping the percentage on the tiramisu slightly because the coffee taste is pronounced.

Is there a HIC dessert recipe that you would suggest for me, whether free or for purchase.

Thanks again.

Thanks for taking time to post your update.
Yes, Mellow Vanilla is intentionally a mellow flavor.
Yes, subbing FA Chocolate for part of FA Cocoa always makes a lighter chocolate flavor. GS Thin Mint cookies' ingredients list shows they include lots of cocoa, no chocolate or cocoa butter, but of course you should make it to please your own palate.
Tiramisu is a dessert, and I agree that's one super-strong flavor. FA's coffee flavors are all strong. Here's another dessert you might like, but less simple to mix: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-lemon-meringue-pie.9895/
and here's a super-simple one: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-sugary-almond-apple-tart-simple-variations.13178/

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Finally! NF Ginger and NF Malt available in one place, and TFA Sweet Woodruff in stock - plus all the other flavorings I use at HIC's Mixes! https://www.diyvaporsupply.com/flavor-concentrates/ (ships to U.S. addresses only)
Credit for this find goes to a customer who convinced them to carry NF Ginger & pointed them out to me.

Here are all the non-FA flavors currently used in HIC's Mixes - all of which they have in stock right now:
Capella: Jelly Candy, Sugar Cookie v2
Flavorah (they abbreviate FH): Rich Cinnamon
Inawera (they abbreviate IW): Cactus
Nature's Flavors: Ginger, Malt, Pumpkin Pie
TFA (which they call DIY Apprentice & abbreviate TDA): Banana Nut Bread, Brown Sugar, Cheesecake Graham Crust, Citrus Punch, Cranberry, DX Peanut Butter, Green Tea, Holiday Spice, HPNO Type, Kettle Corn, Sweet and Tart, Sweet Woodruff

Looks like a great place to fill in the gaps in your flavor collection. They have the oddball FA flavors the big sellers usually don't carry (Tomato, Violet, and so on). Careful if you're ingredient-conscious! They don't note the "kitchen only" flavors, and you'll find some of those, too. They carry at least 25 brands, so it's fun to look around.

Last edited:

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally! NF Ginger and NF Malt available in one place, and TFA Sweet Woodruff in stock - plus all the other flavorings I use at HIC's Mixes! https://www.diyvaporsupply.com/flavor-concentrates/ (ships to U.S. addresses only)
Credit for this find goes to a customer who convinced them to carry NF Ginger & pointed them out to me.

Here are all the non-FA flavors currently used in HIC's Mixes - all of which they have in stock right now:
Capella: Sugar Cookie v2
Flavorah (they abbreviate FH): Rich Cinnamon
Inawera (they abbreviate IW): Cactus
Nature's Flavors: Ginger, Malt, Pumpkin Pie
TFA (which they call DIY Apprentice & abbreviate TDA): Banana Nut Bread, Brown Sugar, Cheesecake Graham Crust, Citrus Punch, Cranberry, Holiday Spice, HPNO Type, Kettle Corn, Sweet Woodruff

Looks like a great place to fill in the gaps in your flavor collection. They have the oddball FA flavors the big sellers usually don't carry (Tomato, Violet, and so on). Careful if you're ingredient-conscious! They don't note the "kitchen only" flavors, and you'll find some of those, too. They carry at least 25 brands, so it's fun to look around.
So weird you making this post today. I was literally going through your Gumroad site looking for all the non-FA ingredients yesterday. I'm ready to mix again after vaping the same six juices ( three of yours and three of my own NETs ), for the past couple of months. Anyway, there are a couple of TFA ingredients that i came up with, which you haven't listed. Not sure if you aren't using them anymore or what, but they are DX Peanut Butter, Green Tea, Kentucky Bourbon and Sweet Tart. Also, Capella Jelly Candy.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
So weird you making this post today. I was literally going through your Gumroad site looking for all the non-FA ingredients yesterday. I'm ready to mix again after vaping the same six juices ( three of yours and three of my own NETs ), for the past couple of months. Anyway, there are a couple of TFA ingredients that i came up with, which you haven't listed. Not sure if you aren't using them anymore or what, but they are DX Peanut Butter, Green Tea, Kentucky Bourbon and Sweet Tart. Also, Capella Jelly Candy.

Yes, I do have recipes with those, and they carry all of them. I think Kentucky Bourbon is just in one public recipe, though.

I'm sick in bed & will use that as my excuse for overlooking them. I'll add them to that list - thank you!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Feel better soon HIC!
7165.gif

VU Sponsors