Become a Patron!

HIC's Mixes: DIY recipes store

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
HIC, just curious what the difference is between TFA Peanut Butter and the DX version besides smoothness. I was contemplating buying https://gumroad.com/l/ewvxe# , and you say that the DX version must be used in that.

I don't vape diketones as a matter of course, but i'm not unequivocal about it. Something with a little AP, i would vape occasionally. Should i buy both versions of TFA PB to get the best results for both recipes ?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
HIC, just curious what the difference is between TFA Peanut Butter and the DX version besides smoothness. I was contemplating buying https://gumroad.com/l/ewvxe# , and you say that the DX version must be used in that.

I don't vape diketones as a matter of course, but i'm not unequivocal about it. Something with a little AP, i would vape occasionally. Should i buy both versions of TFA PB to get the best results for both recipes ?

I prefer DX as a standalone flavor over their original - I think it tastes fresher & nuttier. They're definitely different, how ever you may describe the two. When I first got DX, I did side-by-side comparisons of it versus original in lots of mixes. They're different enough that one or the other was always a clear winner - but not the same one for all mixes. DX stands out better against TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust and usually wins as a main flavor in a recipe, so it's the one for Peanut Buddies. In fact, that recipe was built around DX; try it with original pb & you'll taste a big difference. Original pb has that buttery-caramel bit to it that I think is a plus in that granola recipe, but there are plenty of other flavors going on, so DX also tastes fine there. Personally, I'll keep and use both versions of this TFA flavor.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
New holiday recipes at HIC's Mixes : Cranberry Juice Sweeties
p Cranberry Sweeties.jpeg
"Two sweet cranberry juice recipes are included. Winter Cranberry Sweetie is a holiday vape inspired by warm, mulled beverages, with the flavors of cranberry sauce, sweet orange-spice tea, and mulling spices. Summer Cranberry Sweetie is inspired by fruit-juice coolers, with the flavors of cranberry juice, strawberry lemonade, orange juice, and a swirl of cinnamon sweet tea. These recipes require TFA Cranberry (contains butyric acid) and FlavourArt flavors. All flavorings used are diketone-free."

If you like Constant Comment tea, the winter version will taste really familiar.
I can sure imagine Jamba Juice making something like Summer Cranberry Sweetie, but as far as I can tell, no juice bars make anything quite like it.

Roundhouse

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
VU Challenge Sponsor
Member For 5 Years
Really?! And you guys ship to Europe, Australia, (and Asia?), right? Lotta people have been deprived of great flavor due to NF's ridiculous international shipping charges, so this is GREAT news!

I ought to make a celebratory recipe...
Yes, and we are shipping to Australia, NZ, Europe and couple countries in Asia. @Mazinny, I don't have an ETA yet, @wllmc warned me that they take a few weeks to ship but I would imagine we would have it in by early to mid-December.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, and we are shipping to Australia, NZ, Europe and couple countries in Asia. @Mazinny, I don't have an ETA yet, @wllmc warned me that they take a few weeks to ship but I would imagine we would have it in by early to mid-December.
Very cool!
Now...about that WF Tahitian Vanilla....:blowkiss:

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally! NF Ginger and NF Malt available in one place, and TFA Sweet Woodruff in stock - plus all the other flavorings I use at HIC's Mixes! https://www.diyvaporsupply.com/flavor-concentrates/ (ships to U.S. addresses only)
Credit for this find goes to a customer who convinced them to carry NF Ginger & pointed them out to me.

Here are all the non-FA flavors currently used in HIC's Mixes - all of which they have in stock right now:
Capella: Jelly Candy, Sugar Cookie v2
Flavorah (they abbreviate FH): Rich Cinnamon
Inawera (they abbreviate IW): Cactus
Nature's Flavors: Ginger, Malt, Pumpkin Pie
TFA (which they call DIY Apprentice & abbreviate TDA): Banana Nut Bread, Brown Sugar, Cheesecake Graham Crust, Citrus Punch, Cranberry, DX Peanut Butter, Green Tea, Holiday Spice, HPNO Type, Kettle Corn, Sweet and Tart, Sweet Woodruff

Looks like a great place to fill in the gaps in your flavor collection. They have the oddball FA flavors the big sellers usually don't carry (Tomato, Violet, and so on). Careful if you're ingredient-conscious! They don't note the "kitchen only" flavors, and you'll find some of those, too. They carry at least 25 brands, so it's fun to look around.
Oh, that is wonderful. TY for the link.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Hi HIC,

thanks for the wonderful work you're doing masterfully orchestrating FA's amazing flavours! I just got your Matcha Ice Cream recipe, I am wondering if honey can be replaced altogether by other sweets such as Meringue, Marshmallow or Brown Sugar? If the recipe must have honey then what's your closest replacement suggestion for FA Honey as I can't find it anywhere around here? TFA honey?

Also I've been looking for NF's Ginger over here in the EU but simply cannot find a reseller, any pointers? Why is it that no other Ginger flavour can be used to replace it, do they make it in a particular way or are the other brands just poor ginger imitations?

Lastly while I'm here, i have peppermint but no spearmint for some of your Tea recipes, can I substitute the latter with that or will it ruin them?

Thanks for sharing so much for free in your thread, glad I could share back grabbing a few recipes from you. Really really enjoyed Orange-Cardamom Bundt (ADV), Tiramisu Cream (morning vape for the last year, I like adding 0.5% Coconut, Meringue and Butterscotch alternatively in my batches to avoid getting bored), Lemon Torrone (ADV) and quite liked Grand Marnier Mousse as well, and now I'm looking forward to all the Tea recipes for my evening vapes!

Anyway great stuff keep it up! :)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hi HIC,

thanks for the wonderful work you're doing masterfully orchestrating FA's amazing flavours! I just got your Matcha Ice Cream recipe, I am wondering if honey can be replaced altogether by other sweets such as Meringue, Marshmallow or Brown Sugar? If the recipe must have honey then what's your closest replacement suggestion for FA Honey as I can't find it anywhere around here? TFA honey?

Also I've been looking for NF's Ginger over here in the EU but simply cannot find a reseller, any pointers? Why is it that no other Ginger flavour can be used to replace it, do they make it in a particular way or are the other brands just poor ginger imitations?

Lastly while I'm here, i have peppermint but no spearmint for some of your Tea recipes, can I substitute the latter with that or will it ruin them?

Thanks for sharing so much for free in your thread, glad I could share back grabbing a few recipes from you. Really really enjoyed Orange-Cardamom Bundt (ADV), Tiramisu Cream (morning vape for the last year, I like adding 0.5% Coconut, Meringue and Butterscotch alternatively in my batches to avoid getting bored), Lemon Torrone (ADV) and quite liked Grand Marnier Mousse as well, and now I'm looking forward to all the Tea recipes for my evening vapes!

Anyway great stuff keep it up! :)

Welcome to VU! I'll try to answer those questions.

*finding FA Honey - You're in the EU? It should be an easy one to find. FA Italy and FA UK sites both list it right now.

*replacing FA Honey - If you have some other brand that you already know you like, may as well use it! I don't know why honey flavorings are all SO strong, but they are. I'd use the same percent of another brand's honey flavor in that Matcha Ice Cream recipe. Honey is there as a sweetener, so if you like using Sucralose, that's sure another option (just "sweeten to taste" in that case). I wouldn't like Meringue or Marshmallow as a sweetener for tea, but if it sounds good to you, 0.5% would sub for that tiny bit of honey. I assume you mean TFA Brown Sugar - in my opinion it's not sweet enough to sub for honey.

*best FA alternative to Honey - Torrone has a little honey flavor, and it's sweet, so 0.5% could stand in for that tiny bit of FA Honey. It'll also add lemon-almond flavor, which is reasonably compatible. You won't really get the intended "candied ginger" flavor this way, though.

*spearmint vs peppermint - if you like peppermint tea, why not? On the other hand, if you have some other brand of spearmint flavoring, it'll taste more like it was intended...more "herbal" in my opinion.

If you got a bunch of tea recipes, I think you "need" FA Honey and Spearmint. But then I'm an enabler for flavor collectors. :D

*NF Ginger - this one is a harder question, where to find it in the E.U. Any other EU folks here have a pointer? Does @Roundhouse (Bull City) have any leads on getting NF Ginger in Europe? In a pinch, you can use Flavor West Ginger in recipes that call for under 1% of NF Ginger. It's not as strong, so use about twice as much. As for why there's no sub for NF Ginger, especially as a major flavor in recipes - it's just. that. good. Really!

Last edited:
Thanks man, I was asking about honey because I fear I may die before I ever get to see the end of the 10ml bottle... ;) That recipe is the only one I have that uses it, and since it's so diluted...

I have Torrone but I want to stick closely to the recipes so I´ll get me some honey along with spearmint.

Still no sign of NF Ginger in EU/UK shops, I guess I'll get the FW one and double the %. BullCity does ship to some EU countries but not to France where I'm at and in any case no sign of NF Ginger on their website (maybe it's US only?).

Thanks for your aftersale support! :cheers:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
@HeadInClouds, which Lime Tahiti is used in your Mojito Matcha from the Fruit Tea collection ? Distilled or Cold Pressed ( i have cold pressed already)? I want to rush an order in before the sale ends. Thanks !

Oh, I hope this isn't too late for your order: that's Lime Tahiti Distilled. (For a while it was just called "lime tahiti')

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, I hope this isn't too late for your order: that's Lime Tahiti Distilled. (For a while it was just called "lime tahiti')
No i think you got back in time :) I assume the sale is til midnight. If not, no biggie, i can wait til the Christmas ( hopefully ! ) sale. Maybe NF is stocked by then. I still have a bunch to mix that i have flavors for.

Really enjoying your Orange Sherbet btw. i think i've mixed about seven or eight of your vendor recipes and about ten of the free one, and there's only one that i didn't like. Must have been one of the three fruits i hadn't tried before in the Double Rainbow recipe that hit me the wrong way. Thanks again.

Roundhouse

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
VU Challenge Sponsor
Member For 5 Years
Does @Roundhouse (Bull City) have any leads on getting NF Ginger in Europe?
I'm not really sure of any place to get NF in Europe, Chefs has a good selection but I don't believe carries any Natures Flavors. For what it's worth, I'm hoping we'll have it available late this week or early next but of course shipping across the pond can be cost prohibitive.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Happy late Turkey Day to all of you!! I'm always running a bit late these days.

So, a while back I ordered the Tiramisu Wafer Cookies and couldn't put them down for 3 straight days! TY, TY! I so miss the wafer taste of what I used to get from FA meringue, so this was indeed a treat.

I always wanted to make a jello recipe and never found a flavor for that consistency so of course I had to get the jello recipe. I can't yet make the Orange as I need to get in royal Orange, but I did mix the lime and it smells just like the lime jello salad mom made.

I ordered and mixed up a bunch tonight, but must re-wick tanks, which I'lll do tomorrow. l ordered several of your tobacco recipes Hic, as I don't mix with them and wanted ideas on how to do so. The notes you provide in your recipes are always so helpful to me. I am dying to try the Apple Strudel Tobacco recipe as it smells so darn good! Now that I've got a handful of FA tobacco flavors it's time for me to invest in their espresso and some coffee recipes, but I must place myself, and I think the kids might want a few things for Christmas and not much time left to shop.

TY for the recipes and notes you work on!

D

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Happy late Turkey Day to all of you!! I'm always running a bit late these days.

So, a while back I ordered the Tiramisu Wafer Cookies and couldn't put them down for 3 straight days! TY, TY! I so miss the wafer taste of what I used to get from FA meringue, so this was indeed a treat.

I always wanted to make a jello recipe and never found a flavor for that consistency so of course I had to get the jello recipe. I can't yet make the Orange as I need to get in royal Orange, but I did mix the lime and it smells just like the lime jello salad mom made.

I ordered and mixed up a bunch tonight, but must re-wick tanks, which I'lll do tomorrow. l ordered several of your tobacco recipes Hic, as I don't mix with them and wanted ideas on how to do so. The notes you provide in your recipes are always so helpful to me. I am dying to try the Apple Strudel Tobacco recipe as it smells so darn good! Now that I've got a handful of FA tobacco flavors it's time for me to invest in their espresso and some coffee recipes, but I must place myself, and I think the kids might want a few things for Christmas and not much time left to shop.

TY for the recipes and notes you work on!

D

Hey D, it's good to hear from you! If you're Christmas shopping already, you're not running late. Well, at least you're ahead of me. I hope you & kids get a fun, long break together - best part of any holiday!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know, I have been M.I.A. Here for too long. Really miss everyone!

You are not going to believe this, but I hate that new TFA FA labels. Now I can't find my FA Key lime anywhere so I'm thinking I never bought it and used TFA with that darn frustrating FA label. Oh well, time to start a new cart again, even though I just did Black Friday!! So, your line jelly was great fresh, but TFA didn't hold up on the lime:(

So, I have been waiting and waiting :wait: for my tobacco mixes to steep and try. Last night I stuck some Southern Comfort in a tank. This stuff is so good! I mixed original with no variations. This stuff is just lovely! Plenty of flavor and nice and smooth. A real nice blend of flavors complimenting one another. I wanted to try the Apple Strudel Tobacco first, but the Southern Comfort had the least amount of time to steep. Kudos on this one!!

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sublime Key Lime is sooo good. I've been on a citrus kick recently, and this may be my absolute favorite.

On a different note, unlike you HIC, i think i prefer the vast majority of your mixes aged, rather than fresh.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mixed up the Tiramisu Wafer Cookies again. I can't believe how long it's been since I had that one. I'm gonna let it sit overnight, at least, just because I know how strong Malt is to me, fresh. I'm so excited, though! :bliss:

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, well I now have Bora, Bora White made with the 7 leaves substitute in a tank, Apple Strudel Tobacco in another, and Southern Charm in another! :cloud::cloud::cloud:
To be quite honest I am enjoying all 3 recipes. I have been Vaping on the Southern Charm for 2 days now. I filled up a tank with Apple Strudel a few hours ago, also very good and sweetest of the 3 on taste. Perfect Apple Strudel taste with a splash of caramel or cinnamon at times, and a light tobacco. Very nice!! The Bora, Bora White has the most tobacco flavor as of day 4 of steeping. Steeping a HIC recipe is a new one for me. Lol. I am tasting the anise, coconut husk?, pipe type tobacco?. I never smoked a pipe, but it tastes more cigar like than ashy cigarette.

Thank You so much for these recipes. I'm really enjoying them and hope to start mixing with some tobacco thanks to your notes.:cheers:

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mixed up the Tiramisu Wafer Cookies again. I can't believe how long it's been since I had that one. I'm gonna let it sit overnight, at least, just because I know how strong Malt is to me, fresh. I'm so excited, though! :bliss:
I agree, malt is a strong, sweet flavor. I'm so happy I reminded you of a recipe that excites you so. I'm excited I excited you. :bliss:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Lol, look at us go!!
LMAO!! You're a doll.

Yep, the malt overpowered it for me, but thankfully, I had plenty of room in the bottle, so I added a bit of everything but the malt, added more base. Easy peasy. Had been so long on that one for me, it didn't dawn on me til I tasted it, that I use it at 0.5.

NotSoMini

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have lurked long enough and finally decided to join. I have been vaping 4-1/2 years and am a fairly new DIYer although I started buying DIY equipment and collecting recipes since earlier this year. After collecting many recipes I came across Head in Clouds and found that the recipes more closely suited what I like. I liked that HIC does not use sucralose or any other artificial sweetener which is something I cannot vape as it mutes the flavor for me. Also that HIC is conscientious about dikestones and so states when a recipe contains it. I am not 100% again diketones though.

I have mixed many of the HIC’s Mixes all of which I liked — some I liked better than others but none were bad. Mostly recently I mixed Mentos Mint Gum (I was never a menthol smoker and find this a refreshing change of pace flavor), Pumpkin Pie and Pizzelle all of which I am enjoying. I also mix other DIYer’s recipes. I like tobaccos and NETs. I am a lemon/lime head as well as savory flavors. I have not gotten to the point where I develop my own recipes as I am quite happy at the moment although I may slightly modify someone else's recipe.

HIC's has been a real inspiration and mentor to me in my DIY journey. HIC’s has given me a lot of support and input which I appreciate so much. Most recently with the Black Friday / Cyber Monday premixed sales, I was finally able to Unsubscribe from many mailing lists and this would not have been possible without HIC — thanks J Dot :)

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have lurked long enough and finally decided to join. I have been vaping 4-1/2 years and am a fairly new DIYer although I started buying DIY equipment and collecting recipes since earlier this year. After collecting many recipes I came across Head in Clouds and found that the recipes more closely suited what I like. I liked that HIC does not use sucralose or any other artificial sweetener which is something I cannot vape as it mutes the flavor for me. Also that HIC is conscientious about dikestones and so states when a recipe contains it. I am not 100% again diketones though.

I have mixed many of the HIC’s Mixes all of which I liked — some I liked better than others but none were bad. Mostly recently I mixed Mentos Mint Gum (I was never a menthol smoker and find this a refreshing change of pace flavor), Pumpkin Pie and Pizzelle all of which I am enjoying. I also mix other DIYer’s recipes. I like tobaccos and NETs. I am a lemon/lime head as well as savory flavors. I have not gotten to the point where I develop my own recipes as I am quite happy at the moment although I may slightly modify someone else's recipe.

HIC's has been a real inspiration and mentor to me in my DIY journey. HIC’s has given me a lot of support and input which I appreciate so much. Most recently with the Black Friday / Cyber Monday premixed sales, I was finally able to Unsubscribe from many mailing lists and this would not have been possible without HIC — thanks J Dot :)
Hi NotSoMini :),

Long time !

We share a similar vaping background, including our affection for NETs, lemon/lime and savory flavors. I am also mostly a recipe copy'er and tweaker rather than designer. Also a veteran of the NET and Gourmet thread on ECF.

Just wanted to be the first to welcome you here !

Agree with everything you said about HIC btw.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
The flavor world needs pumpernickel! I'd settle for rye.

I'm making (actual) pumpernickel bagel chips, thinking this would be a great savory vape...or a little rye in a Burley-based tobacco blend. But I see no such flavoring. Bummer!

oh - hilarious pumpernickel trivia from Wikipedia:
"The philologist Johann Christoph Adelung states that the word has an origin in the Germanic vernacular where pumpern was a New High German synonym for being flatulent, and Nickel was a form of the name Nicholas, commonly associated with a goblin or devil (e.g. "Old Nick", a familiar name for Satan), or more generally for a malevolent spirit or demon. Hence, pumpernickel means "devil's fart", a definition accepted by the publisher Random House,[3] and by some English language dictionaries, including the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.[4] The American Heritage Dictionary adds "so named from being hard to digest". A variant of this explanation is also given by the German etymological dictionary Kluge that says the word pumpernickel is older than its usage for the particular type of bread, and may have been used as a mocking name for a person of unrefined manners ("farting Nick") first. The change of meaning may have been caused by its use as a mocking expression for the (in the eyes of outsiders) unrefined rye bread produced by the Westphalian population.

NotSoMini

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi NotSoMini :),

Long time !

We share a similar vaping background, including our affection for NETs, lemon/lime and savory flavors. I am also mostly a recipe copy'er and tweaker rather than designer. Also a veteran of the NET and Gourmet thread on ECF.

Just wanted to be the first to welcome you here !

Agree with everything you said about HIC btw.

Thanks for the welcome Maz — and great to see you here.

Welcome to VU. I'm glad to see you here! :wave:

Thanks — yep, it’s about time!

retrox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey! Long time, no see! How ya been?

Keeping well below many radars, as I'm inclined to do on occasion! Troubleshooting a troublesome computer that just might decide to switch itself off right in the middle of this post (that hard drive didn't just die, it was MURDERED I tell ya). Probably gonna end up threatening Santa into building me a new PC real soon! :D

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well hey there NotSoMini!! That's pretty cool, I also am inclined to stick towards those flavors...And tweaking recipes to suit my own tastes. Many times I have been able to do so thanks to Hic's wonderful notes.

There are so many wonderful and helpful people here, I just love it! Welcome, welcome!!

Hi T! And it's good to see you retrox!! I think you need to go up and sit on Santa's lap! You may just get what you want so he can get you off his lap! lol!!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
New today at HIC's Mixes : Orange Rolls
p Orange Rolls.jpg
"Orange sweet rolls with orange cream cheese icing. This tastes like homemade sweet rolls made with fresh orange juice and zest. It's an excellent vape to accompany your morning coffee or tea. All flavorings used are diketone-free. This recipe requires TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust and FlavourArt flavorings including Blood Orange, Royal Orange, and Zeppola. Flavorah Rich Cinnamon is optional for a cinnamon-glazed accent."

VU Sponsors