Become a Patron!

HIC's SPECULOOS COOKIE BUTTER (Trader Joe's or Lotus Biscoff spread)

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
For personal non-commercial use only.
Please do not repost this outside of vapingunderground.com.

HIC's Speculoos Cookie Butter recipe: Trader Joe's insanely popular cookie butter is modeled on the original Belgian version, Lotus Biscoff Spread. (which is better? Read here.) It starts with caramelized butter spice cookies (my vape version is here), which are dissolved with extra butter and sugar, then blended to spreadable consistency. Like real cookie butter, this vape is caramel-buttery rich (but has no diacetyl/sub ingredients), sweet, spicy, and addictive - definitely worth the required measuring!

1.25% FA Caramel
1% FA Cookie
1% FA Vienna Cream
0.75% FA Cinnamon Ceylon
0.5% TFA acetyl pyrazine (available here)
0.25% TFA Brown Sugar Extra
0.25% TFA Holiday Spice
0.25% FA Clove
0.25% Nature's Flavors Organic Ginger or FA Cardamom *
0.25% FA Vanilla Classic
0.25% FA Marzipan
0.25% FA Butterscotch

This really must sit at least overnight! (okay...sneak a taste, but it'll be richer the next day.)

* If you like Trader Joe's cookie butter, use NF Ginger if possible. Don't fret if you just have Cardamom - it tastes almost the same, just slightly "cooler" with cardamom. If you have neither - the other spice flavors will carry it - no need to increase anything else.

Non-vapers and hungry pets will follow this vapor trail anywhere!

Last edited:

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have such a busy week but I have got to Mix this one up immediately.
It's a good thing I've been going to DIY school majoring in FA with a TFA minor..... Because I have all of these flavors !!!!
Oh boy..... Looking forward to this one HIC .

Thanks for all the hard work sir !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Because I have all of these flavors !!!!

Whew! I was hoping you would. I know you'll have everything for this version, too: http://fullthymestudent.com/chocolate-cookie-butter-cookies/ (ahhh, won't let me link! ... they're chocolate-cookie-butter-cookies, with chocolate on the outside, cookie butter inside.)
I've gotta get supplies to make a (real) batch of THOSE. omg, what a flavor fest!

These also inspire me: http://www.buzzfeed.com/candydandy/21-cookie-butter-recipes-you-must-know-about-jdt5

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have such a busy week but I have got to Mix this one up immediately.
It's a good thing I've been going to DIY school majoring in FA with a TFA minor..... Because I have all of these flavors !!!!
Oh boy..... Looking forward to this one HIC .

Thanks for all the hard work sir !!!

Hey, classmate! For once I have all the flavors, too. Like this school a whole bunch better!

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did do a test drip. I reserve the right to wait until tomorrow and give it an hours vaping ..... Then I'll decide if I need to up the percentages and vape it some more.

I am a bit of A flavor hog and often have to ramp up the original percentages to be satisfied.

It's a good rich full vape right now for sure. There's just so many flavors in this one that I know it may change drastically over night.

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just mixed this up, first drip, pre steep, 1.1ohm dual coil running 36w ~6.46v on a CLT by Infinite RDA

Mixed 30/70 PG/VG 3mg NudeNicotine nic

More throat hit than I expected for sure, ginger seems to be the culprit. It is wonderfully creamy and sweet, strong note of ginger and clove for me personally. I'm going to try to tone down the ginger and clove on the next batch, however, before I do that, this is going in a hot water bath ~150F capped for the next 3 hours and will try it again then.

NOTE:

I would like to note for those purchasing NF Organic Ginger, there are two versions of this if you go straight to NF. (A third but it's not indicated to be organic).

One is A: 'Organic ginger flavor extract' on the bottle. The other is B: 'Natural ginger flavor extract, without diacetyl' which obviously leads me to believe the 'Organic Ginger flavor extract' bottle contains diacetyl. They taste virtually identical to me (I ordered both the first time around as I wasn't sure which HIC was referring to here and ECX was out of stock. The 'without diacetyl' bottle I received is not labeled as 'organic' but as 'natural' (B) this was as of about a month ago so would appear they changed their labeling around a little (still clearly says without diacetyl on the label while the other lacks this comment.)

Just be careful if ordering directly from them if you have concerns about this sort of thing. I avoid diacetyl cause it always seems to give me a head rush similar to a nicotine buzz that I don't really enjoy...

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
awesome HIC ! I will be mixing this up :) cant wait

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just mixed this up, first drip, pre steep, 1.1ohm dual coil running 36w ~6.46v on a CLT by Infinite RDA

More throat hit than I expected for sure, ginger seems to be the culprit. It is wonderfully creamy and sweet, strong note of ginger and clove for me personally. I'm going to try to tone down the ginger and clove on the next batch, however, before I do that, this is going in a hot water bath ~150F capped for the next 3 hours and will try it again then.

Spices don't play nicely with heat steeping - they do much better with time (and I heat steep lots of things).

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

Mixed 30/70 PG/VG 3mg NudeNicotine nic

NOTE:

I would like to note for those purchasing NF Organic Ginger, there are two versions of this if you go straight to NF. (A third but it's not indicated to be organic).

One is A: 'Organic ginger flavor extract' on the bottle. The other is B: 'Natural ginger flavor extract, without diacetyl' which obviously leads me to believe the 'Organic Ginger flavor extract' bottle contains diacetyl. They taste virtually identical to me (I ordered both the first time around as I wasn't sure which HIC was referring to here and ECX was out of stock. The 'without diacetyl' bottle I received is not labeled as 'organic' but as 'natural' (B) this was as of about a month ago so would appear they changed their labeling around a little (still clearly says without diacetyl on the label while the other lacks this comment.)

Just be careful if ordering directly from them if you have concerns about this sort of thing. I avoid diacetyl cause it always seems to give me a head rush similar to a nicotine buzz that I don't really enjoy...

yes it does, that is why ecx pulled it.. :oops:

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
nothing can fake time, as just given time :p
Agreed, but I mixed 15ml of concentrate to use so I'll whip up a second batch and let that steep in the closet a few days. Still going to heat steep one. Just want to know if the ginger and clove calms down a tiny bit.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I whipped this up this morning while I was waiting for a friend (a new vaper) to come and try some juice. After reading T'bird's comments, I made the original concentration in 4mls rather than 6mls. A couple of hours later my friend and I decided to give it a quick taste (knowing it needed another day), and - wow - amazing! This is going to be really good! And now I have to make up some up for my friend too:p

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
HIC, no van classic, if you can believe that shit. Can I go with a simply vanilla here do you think? And we all have these flavors from apple cider season! As always, the huddled masses appreciate your effort.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
HIC, no van classic, if you can believe that shit. Can I go with a simply vanilla here do you think? And we all have these flavors from apple cider season! As always, the huddled masses appreciate your effort.

Vanilla Bourbon or Tahiti will work fine! It does need vanilla, though, so just use whichever you have.

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh my, this sounds delicious! How close can I get with FA Cardamom but without the TFA Holiday Spice and FA Clove?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Oh my, this sounds delicious! How close can I get with FA Cardamom but without the TFA Holiday Spice and FA Clove?

That wouldn't leave very many spices. Do you have other clove-like or nutmeg-like flavors? Maybe an eggnog flavor for the nutmeg part (instead of Holiday Spice)? TFA Pumpkin Spice can stand in for FA Clove. If you're adventurous and have a clove tobacco flavor...

I don't think I'd personally care for just Cinnamon + Cardamom. If that pair sounds fine to you, ignore my opinion. You could just make a caramelized cinnamon butter cookie (leave out all but Cinnamon Ceylon). If you do that, I'd also increase Cookie to about 1.5%. You'll still get the buttery caramel rich part, just less complex spices.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you like these sort of flavors it's well worth getting both the TFA holiday spice and FA clove. I think they're spectacular, and without them it's a totally different flavor.

LoveVanilla

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh my! You two are so bad ;) Already 200 to 250 flavors in inventory... Oh wait, just checked and found TFA's Clove.

Now wonder what Pumpkin Spice brings to the party? Hmmm, looks like cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. But no allspice and nutmeg (and I do love the nutmeg). Looks like the spices that I have are:

Cardamon,
Cinnamon, and
Clove

but no Nutmeg or Allspice. Didn't realize but appears I have LorAnns' Eggnog. Wonder if that contains nutmeg? No diacetyl per WL -- but perhaps other diketones?

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thx HIC gonna get down on this one today. Guess you can tell from the response that this is gonna cause a rash of mixing activity!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Now wonder what Pumpkin Spice brings to the party? Hmmm, looks like cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. But no allspice and nutmeg (and I do love the nutmeg). Looks like the spices that I have are:
Cardamon,
Cinnamon, and
Clove
but no Nutmeg or Allspice. Didn't realize but appears I have LorAnns' Eggnog. Wonder if that contains nutmeg? No diacetyl per WL -- but perhaps other diketones?

All about speculoos spice mixes....

Bakers keep secret recipes for their spice combinations, and they vary by region. The base is cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger/cardamom. A typical blend is about half cinnamon. The rest always includes nutmeg and usually clove. There's generally one more key spice. In southern Europe, it's ginger. The farther north you go, the more you see cardamom - sometimes with a little anise and white pepper.

This recipe and my cookie version are more like a southern version. I believe Trader Joe's use mostly cinnamon - plus nutmeg, ginger, clove. I don't taste cardamom in theirs. I like Lotus Biscoff spread better; the spices other than cinnamon stand out a little more, and I think they include cardamom. I wouldn't turn down a jar of either one, though!

This is my long-winded way of saying I think nutmeg is an essential part of a speculoos flavor.

I don't have Lorann's Eggnog flavor. You might drop some in water to taste and see if it's nutmeg or clove or...? In fact, whatever combination of spices you plan to use, you might mix in water to taste it first, and see if it's right to you.

jaypeeh

Member For 4 Years
Sweet, I think I had dropped a hint that you should take a crack at this back in the lemon-gingersnap thread. As I mentioned then, I sent a jar of cookie butter to the vapor chef and his reply was "I have no idea how to go about replicating this" (though that could have been a nice way of saying "can't be arsed to try"). So good work! Sadly I'm missing clove, holiday spice, ginger, and cinnamon. I wish I knew of a place that sold FA that didn't have a minimum order requirement for free shipping.. I can't justify the $7 or so that ecigxpress charges. I'll add these to my future list once I can think of $60 worth of stuff to buy. Thanks for your great work!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Are you in the states? I've never paid that much for shipping from them. Usually less than $4.

jaypeeh

Member For 4 Years
Are you in the states? I've never paid that much for shipping from them. Usually less than $4.

Yeah, Indiana. But come to think of it, I probably only checked my shipping estimate when I had $30-40 in my cart then decided to just add more until I hit $60. I'll see what it'll be for just a few bottles.

Having a "Duh" moment now, thanks y'all.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I have around 11 things in my cart there at the moment (including one 4 ounces bottle) - shipping is showing at $3.83 first class.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You're so not going to believe this.....Caps vanilla custard... I blame wllmc:p
LMAO! Wow, talk about a 180. I hope my tastes change for the better for things I've not cared for. That's pretty cool.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LMAO! Wow, talk about a 180. I hope my tastes change for the better for things I've not cared for. That's pretty cool.

It's bizarre.....a month ago I couldn't stand the smell - it literally made me feel barfy! Of course when I first started vaping I vaped custard all the time! Suddenly I love it again. And get this...I make it in max VG, which as you also know I couldn't vape a month ago without coughing up a lung (amongst other delicacies LOL)

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OMG! This sounds awesome!!

VU Sponsors