HIC's SUGARY ALMOND-APPLE TART (simple! + variations)

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - Recipes' started by HeadInClouds, Aug 26, 2014.

1. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    The only way I can even tolerate the taste of cran is if I drown it with BOTH grape and apple -- mix cran-grape and cran-apple, and it's tolerable... barely.

Andria

Heabob likes this.
  2. Heabob

Heabob Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I'm with ya on that one:D.

3. Heabob

Heabob Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I loaded my TFA Cranberry up with VBIC & Stevia, and after 2 months it's OK.
    Tolerable at least.
    Using the CAP Cranberry I had to dump it, just yuk.

4. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    The only thing cran is better than, is a visit to a Dr for a UTI. For that, I'll tolerate it -- otherwise, NEVER.

Andria

Heabob likes this.
  5. tonyp1119

tonyp1119 Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for sharing this HIC's. It sounds absolutely wonderful. I'll give it a shot & post back with the results. Thank you!

HeadInClouds likes this.
  6. heidik86

heidik86 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I just found this thread this week. I ordered the ingredients and just mixed it up. What an amazing flavor. Thanks so much!

misswish and HeadInClouds like this.
  7. Tar Heel

Tar Heel New Member

Blog Posts:
    This was my first ever diy attempt and it turned out perfect. I just made a 4ml test sample and wound up making a 30ml bottle, it is that good, I'll certainly be mixing a lot more of your recipes for sure, thanks HIC

8. Crochetandcookies

Crochetandcookies Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Ooo I've got to try this one too, thank you so much for these excellent recipes HIC. I bet the custard variation is very good in this. I'm really enjoying the fa flavor concentrates. They are powerful and authentic tasting compared to many other brands.

misswish and HeadInClouds like this.
  9. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Another great recipee I used the custard with it as you suggested very nice thanks HIC

HeadInClouds likes this.
  10. pagea

pagea New Member

Blog Posts:
    any clue about PG/VG percentages ?

11. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    The PG/VG are customizable by whoever's doing the mixing -- most like high-VG, but some can't vape that; I use 86% PG -- which many more would be unable to vape.

Truly GOOD recipes will always list the flavors as percentages. When I see a recipe that doesn't show them as percentages, I disregard it utterly and go on the next.

Andria

pagea and gopher_byrd like this.
  12. pagea

pagea New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks For the Info

13. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I find 75% vg is good for me will go through almost all coils but as Andria said it's personal preference

More VG = thicker, smoother vape less throat hit, and flavours might not carry as well
    PG is the opposite of the above but can be an irritant for some people hence why some on here smoke almost entirely VG (except flavour concentrates)

HeadInClouds likes this.
  14. pagea

pagea New Member

Blog Posts:
    Well, I used to mix about 40/60 pg/VG ..with high percentage ,it's because im using TFA and Capella. I think I should make two batch, start with hic's and the second batch i'll try to up the ratio 50% .

Sent from my Lenovo A1000 using Tapatalk

15. ruraldogs

ruraldogs Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    hic_appreciation.jpg This is the 2nd DIY recipe I have followed and I am pleased to share that DIY is working for me! At this stage of infancy on my DIY journey I am not certain if I am happier with the flavorful end result of my guided effort or the fact that, for the first time in three years, I'm NOT stressing out about driving the miles to the nearest brick and mortar shop in order to avoid running out of e juice. Or maybe it's knowing that barring the initial cash outlay to get properly started in DIY my family will experience the very immediate financial benefits of NOT having to budget for $20+ bottles of pre-made, diketone riddled e juice in two different nic levels week in and week out. Thank you HIC for all of your help and advice! You helped me make the transition from passenger to driver again!

With much appreciation! :vino:Happy New Year!

16. gopher_byrd

gopher_byrd Cranky Old Fart VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to VU and welcome to the world of DIY! Lot's of folks here to help you on your journey! Don't be afraid to ask questions. After the initial outlay, the cost savings kick in. You chose well with a HIC recipe. HIC is the Jedi master of FA DIY!

17. HeadInClouds

HeadInClouds Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Unlisted Vendor Vape Media

Blog Posts:
    That's a great way to explain the difference between vaping vendor liquids and DIY. Congrats for making the switch & Happy 2017 back atcha!

wildgypsy70 and ruraldogs like this.
  18. ruraldogs

ruraldogs Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, gopher_byrd. I am looking forward to becoming an active member of this community!

gopher_byrd and AndriaD like this.
  19. riverdan

riverdan VU Donator Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Congrats! This was me about 6-8 months ago. HIC really opened my eyes to DIY juice and his recipes are dead on! Keep it up!

Cheers to HIC!

ruraldogs, HeadInClouds and misswish like this.
  20. ickx

ickx Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Re: the variations: do you think the variations are excluding each other ?

I was thinking about adding 1% of both Custard and Jamaican together.

21. HeadInClouds

HeadInClouds Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Unlisted Vendor Vape Media

Blog Posts:
    I'd vape that!

22. Desert Willow

Desert Willow Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    After 2 years, this is still my ADV. Thank you HIC!

HeadInClouds, geoffd and wildgypsy70 like this.
  23. mmontaser

mmontaser New Member

Blog Posts:
    @HeadInClouds after 1 month of steep what will happen? ? ? As I make my e juice for the next month.

Is there a way to make my e juice live longer without die out?
    Thanks a lot
    Ohh would you allow me to but your recipe on my ejuce calculator website?

https://www.e-lr.net/

24. LeslieStarshine

LeslieStarshine Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    :idea:One way that I make it last longer is to wait to put the nic into it. I will make large batches, and add nicotine to a smaller 30ml-60ml bottle that I'm vaping so the rest doesn't oxidize and turn orange over time. Just an idea, good luck!:)

25. mmontaser

mmontaser New Member

Blog Posts:
    my steeping month rule doesn't oxidize the nicotine but the flavor fade and die only that is my issue that the flavor dies

26. Steevster

Steevster Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I made this awhile ago and forgot to post back. This is one of the best 2 flavor mixes I have tried. Today I'm going to try one of the variants with FA Custard.

I don't have the rum or brandy does anyone think FA Irish cream would be an acceptable variant ?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  27. HeadInClouds

Blog Posts:
    I think of FA Irish Cream as choc-vanilla-coffee-cream-whiskey. Personally, I wouldn't match that with apple pie, but if it sounds good to you, why not try?

Letitia9 and RonJS like this.
  28. Steevster

Blog Posts:
    I will take your word for it. I'm not going to attempt it. I like it just the way it is.

29. Steevster

Blog Posts:
    I must say the variation with FA Custard is equally addicting. Now on to the next one with Liquid Amber.

I'm thinking a combination of the variants would be tasty. I'v seen where some people have added Fuji Apple with tasty results. If I had Jamaican Rum i would add that also and it's on my list to order.

Any thoughts on this combination and percentages ?

Marzipan FA 2%
    Apple Pie FA 4%
    Custard FA 1%
    Liquid Amber FA 1%
    Fuji Apple FA .5%

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  30. HeadInClouds

Blog Posts:
    That looks totally reasonable, and would taste extra apple-y.

Everyone who mixes with FA needs Jamaican Rum. It's a sweet (literally & figuratively) addition to a really wide variety of recipes.

Steevster and RonJS like this.
  31. Steevster

Blog Posts:
    Jamaican Rum is on the list of orders also i dropped the Fuji down to a half a percent. Though I love Fuji I don't want it to apple-y because I really enjoy the marzipan apple pie combo and don't want to over power that flavor.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    HeadInClouds likes this.
  32. Nameste

Nameste Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    This is the first and only recipe I have tried as I have just started diy. It tastes very good but I have a question about it.

I have added 1% Fuji apple and 1%Custard to it. My mix is for 6mg nic. I am getting a bit of burn at my throat would it be because of I started using rdta? So 6mg comes a bit strong?

Oh and I like pretty sweet juices I have added a bit more Fuji and couple drops of super sweet on next 10ml I made now it reminds me 12 monkeys Hakuna ( which I really like that juice)

Thanks for the recipe I think I have found my every day juice

misswish, newyork13 and HeadInClouds like this.
  33. HeadInClouds

Blog Posts:
    You can find out for sure whether your new rdta is causing you problems by vaping some unflavored. Just make a little bottle with your usual PG/VG/nic but no flavoring, shake it up, and vape a bit.

34. Nameste

Blog Posts:
    I will definitely try that. Thanks

HeadInClouds likes this.
  35. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Mixed this after seeing the thread.....DAMN GOOD, Hic...!!

36. Steevster

Blog Posts:
    I really enjoy this recipe I always have a tank of the custard variation within arms reach! ADED *All day every day*

HeadInClouds and inspects like this.
  37. Bahookie

Bahookie New Member

Blog Posts:
    This is another recipe I tried during my first attempt at DIY. I made it with the 1% custard addition, and it is fantastic. The handful of recipes I have tried so far, have all been so much better than any premade liquids I've tried.... there's really no comparison. Thank you for making my first attempts at DIY such a success!

misswish, HeadInClouds and Steevster like this.
  38. HeadInClouds

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on your DIY success! And now you can see the $savings over premade, too (well...unless you start collecting hundreds of new flavorings).

eStorm likes this.
  39. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gotta eat the lettuce VU Donator Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    HIC strikes again with another tasty looking recipe. Never fails HIC! Gotta whip this up man!

40. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gotta eat the lettuce VU Donator Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    That Torrone sure is potent though I've found

41. Ishkabibble

Blog Posts:
    This shit is ridiculous!!

Followed the percentages, added 1% FA Custard and 0.5% FA Jamaican Rum and it's un-godly good...

Foggz, newyork13 and HeadInClouds like this.
  42. Nameste

Blog Posts:
    This is my favourite recipe but I made bigger batch and became pretty much flavorless after about 10 days. So now I mixing small batches for like 5-6 days worth

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

43. Ishkabibble

Blog Posts:
    You speed steeping? Heat? Mine has held up fine, been about 2 or so weeks. Maybe the rum helps that I used in my variation but it's loaded with flavor!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

eStorm likes this.
  44. eStorm

eStorm Silver Contributor Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    I normally stick with recipes posted and try them as is, but I'm that horrible person that doesn't like the FA Apple Pie very much :(
    So I changed this a bit, sorry its not 2 flavors anymore but since its HIC's recipe its only fair that I add this here and give him the credit for the base :) maybe some people don't have the FA flavors around or do want some possible additions.

FA Apple Pie - 3.5%
    FA Fuji Apple - 2%
    Inw Marzipan - 0.75%
    FA Almond 0.25%
    Inw Biscuit - 0.5%
    Ooo powdered sugar - 1%

Reasons I chose this:

Apple Pie to me barely has apple flavor and the crust is a bit dark, even at higher/lower percentages it does never get warm and crispy with a hint of butter, overall its lacking body. (Inw) biscuit will take care of that, adding richness a slight crusty/flaky background to the actual pie.
    The Fuji Apple will add more well apple flavor, giving the already existing apple a support, while bringing that slight tartness into the pie, making you believe its now a pie made from red and green apples, even tho it is not lol

(Inw) Marzipan is my favorite, its almond/cherry note is a bit bolder and more balanced in comparison to the flavor art version, but its more on the cherry side, so adding a hint of actual almond to the whole thing in my head made absolutely more sense. Especially since the FA almond tastes more like actual marzipan, than the marzipan by itself. So its win win since now you can make it nuttier/creamier/stickier depending on the percentage. I keep this low here, because I don't want that actual nuttiness flavor just the benefits.

For me its not a apple pie without powdered sugar, my grandma would always add that, so of course I'm adding this here too. This can be subbed for brown sugar if you like a more warmer/caramelized version of that. Have yo adjust percentages tho depending on manufacturer.

I sometimes add ice cream, creme brulee, custards or even pudding to it, swapping/adding butter pecans or upping the percentage of biscuit to give it a crumble topping. Hics recipe is very versatile and gives a lot of room/space to play around with. I hope its OK that I altered it because last thing I want to do, step on someone toes.

45. Nameste

Blog Posts:
    No I don't steep in anyway this recipe. Don't know why it keeps losing its flavor after like 8-10 days :(

BTW I absolutely love this recipe