Become a Patron!

High-Nicotine E-Cigs May Be Gateway to Smoking for Teens

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh my God! Hide your teens! Won't they think of the children?!

http://www.philly.com/philly/health...Cigs_May_Be_Gateway_to_Smoking_for_Teens.html

Of course, like all such fake research, it's fairly easy to dismiss:

1/ "May" be gateway... riiight...

2/ Nowhere in the study does it say they tracked the habits of non-smoking teen vapers. They just say they tracked students who used e-cigarettes in the past month. That doesn't mean they weren't smoker before. So the gateway effect isn't in fact demonstrated by the study. That's just been tacked on to the conclusions.

3/ Most of us veteran vapers have trouble vaping 18mg juice in a modern atomizers. I know I can't, and it takes a lot to make me cough. Why - and more importantly how - would a non-smoker who vapes decide to switch to high-nic juice and stick to it?

4/ We ex-smokers know it takes a particular effort to smoke the first cigarette - because it stinks to high heaven, unlike vaping. How vaping teens would want to start on the stinkies is anyone's guess...

VaporCat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I saw this also posted on Slashdot and the number of misinformed comments from the Einstein wannabe types is staggering. Propaganda like this only serves to reinforce the public's already ill-conceived opinions about vaping, which is then passed on as fact to others who are none the wiser. Claims such as those made in the article should be called out as rubbish at every opportunity.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh my God! Hide your teens! Won't they think of the children?!

http://www.philly.com/philly/health...Cigs_May_Be_Gateway_to_Smoking_for_Teens.html

Of course, like all such fake research, it's fairly easy to dismiss:

1/ "May" be gateway... riiight...

2/ Nowhere in the study does it say they tracked the habits of non-smoking teen vapers. They just say they tracked students who used e-cigarettes in the past month. That doesn't mean they weren't smoker before. So the gateway effect isn't in fact demonstrated by the study. That's just been tacked on to the conclusions.

3/ Most of us veteran vapers have trouble vaping 18mg juice in a modern atomizers. I know I can't, and it takes a lot to make me cough. Why - and more importantly how - would a non-smoker who vapes decide to switch to high-nic juice and stick to it?

4/ We ex-smokers know it takes a particular effort to smoke the first cigarette - because it stinks to high heaven, unlike vaping. How vaping teens would want to start on the stinkies is anyone's guess...
Oh Philadelphia -- the land of soda tax making soda costing more than beer. Not surprised a "for the kids's sake" anti-vaping propaganda article came from there.

VU Sponsors