Become a Patron!

High ohm or high amp draw?

MasterofNone

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok so I notice that with higher ohms 30 watts pulls less amps on a 1.3 coil than on a 9 or below- my question for you fine folks is this:

Which will last longer in a well regulated mod- 30 watts with a higher ohm, or something .9 or lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is this a trick question?
Higher ohm will let less elect flow
But will give you less vaper so you might hold the button longer.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok so I notice that with higher ohms 30 watts pulls less amps on a 1.3 coil than on a 9 or below- my question for you fine folks is this: Which will last longer in a well regulated mod- 30 watts with a higher ohm, or something .9 or lower?

I assume you're talking strictly about regulated mods here. So I'm not sure whether you're talking about the current at the coil or the current at the battery here.

But here's the thing. In theory it's quite simple if you feed 30W to a coil, with a regulated mod, regardless of the resistance of the coil, the current going through the battery is exactly the same and depends solely on the battery's voltage.

So, say the battery's voltage is 4V when you fire the mod, the current will be 30/4 = 7.5A. The mod takes care of stepping up or down the voltage depending on the coil's resistance.

In practice however, it's not that simple:

1/ The mod's circuitry is not 100% efficient in converting the voltage, and the inefficiency may be more or less important at certain coil voltages.

2/ If your mod is a bit cheesy, the wire that connect the chip to the pin may be too thin (quite common in China-made mods). As a result, if you install very low resistance coils, the wire's resistance starts to become non-negligible compared to that of the coil. As a result, some power is lost in the wire, and you have to increase it to get the same vape as with a higher resistance coil, which of course increases the current through the battery.

3/ Not all mods convert the voltage linearly. Many mods use power width modulation (PWM). What that means is, the average current drawn from the battery may be constant, but the instantaneous current may be quite a lot higher. In these mods, the lower the coil's resistance, the shorter the PWM's duty cycle, and the higher the instantaneous current, to maintain the average power level you've dialed. And the higher the current through a battery, the higher the losses in the battery's internal resistance.

So, strictly speaking, depending on your mod, you may increase battery life slightly by installing different resistance coils, simply by minimizing losses wherever they may occur. Lower resistance coils should be a bit harder on the battery and/or the mod. So unless the mod's voltage converter is highly inefficient at higher coil voltages, I'd say lower resistance coils should decrease the battery life slightly. In practice though, I don't think it matters all that much. But you might notice a difference if you're patient enough to try different coils and measure how long the battery lasts :)

Last edited:

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Even in a well regulated mod that doesn't use Pulse Width Modulation the DC/DC converter isn't 100 percent efficient, it's usually in the mid 90's these days so the amp draw will be slightly higher on the battery than what is being output to compensate. Honestly...if you're running 30 watts on a regulated mod for example the runtime difference between say a 1 ohm coil and 2 ohm coil will be minimal. It's got to draw the power to step the voltage up output out at a lower amp current for the 2 ohm coil and it's got to draw the amp current to push the 1 ohm coil at the lower voltage. Your mileage may very depending on your vaping habits/builds/device...the best way is to test it yourself and see what lasts longer honestly.

The whole reason for using a higher/lower resistance coil is to get certain wattages out of even regulated devices. All regulated devices have a voltage, a wattage, and an amp power bands in them. So for example if you wanted to get 30 watts out of a device that has a voltage range of 3-6....you would have to use the 1 ohm coil be cause to get 30 watts out of a 2 ohm coil requires more than 7 volts of power.

The secret they don't tell you in advertising new devices is this...."sure it will fire at this many watts...but only with this certain resistance because it can only operate in this certain voltage range and has a max amp limit of this."

Regulated devices add a certain layer of safety and convenience and use of use being able to adjust power settings without rebuilding your coils...but you still need to know ohms law and your devices power ranges to get the most out of them....some devices can't use their full range of power settings with certain resistances because the requirements are out of their power bands. Phil busardo does an excellent job of showing regulated mod's abilities with charts and graphs and what coils they will fire up to how many watts

MasterofNone

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you all for the responses. So basically what your saying is the difference is minimal. I'm coming back to regulated from mech bottom fed and I was just trying to get the most out of my battery life.i have an IPv mini, had a vs rdna 30, and both are lasting me well less than the day I used to get from my 18650 LGs on a .4-5 ohm build on my Dibi Sumpin'.

Oh and in regards to the batteries, the seller fessed up and issued a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Glad you got your money back...I can see why you were getting short battery life though...running a DNA 30 with a .5 is pushing it hard...with a DNA 30 if you run it above 25 watts it's just going to eat the battery...not much you can do about it....just the way it is

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If find I get far less battery life running a 0.2ohm on the Sigelei @ 50w (15.8A) then I do running a 1.2ohm @ 50w (6.45A). No science behind my analysis, just that the 0.2ohm drains my battery 2x as fast with the same wattage setting. 1.2ohm build pulls less than half the amps from the battery than the 0.2ohm. Might have something to do with that. Or the fact that I need to hold the button down longer for the 0.2ohm to warm up?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No...you're right....those low builds draw way more amps and will kill the battery fast. I was speaking of higher resistances and should have been more clear. The bottom line is that whether its a mech or regulated....the more amps drawn from a battery the quicker it dies...that's why life is measured in milliamp hours

VU Sponsors