Become a Patron!

High ohms?

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What qualifies as high ohms? I'm at .72 and Ohm my god, my stacked is a high flavor cloud MACHINE. I thought LOW ohms is what made more cloud? But when I was at .6, I wasn't getting as much smoke and not NEARLY as much flavor as I'm getting now. So, where does it cross from low ohms to higher ohms? I'm 15 wrapped in 24 g kanthol parallels, and it's ppeerrffeecctt!!! BUT, I don't want to be in low Ohms. I'm only at 12 Amps, 94 Watts, so I'm not worried about my 20A bats going boom boom, but What is it that qualifies as low ohms and what makes them different than high ohms?

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You go low ohms for single battery mechs and such since nominal voltage is around 4.2 volts, in a dual battery series mod your voltage is doubled so it would be around 8.4 volts since the batteries are in series, if they were in parallel then it would raise the amp limit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No one really says, "low ohms", lol. Sub-ohm is anything below 1 ohm. Low is just a relative term. Whatever works for you is where you wanna be.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
What qualifies as high ohms? I'm at .72 and Ohm my god, my stacked is a high flavor cloud MACHINE. I thought LOW ohms is what made more cloud? But when I was at .6, I wasn't getting as much smoke and not NEARLY as much flavor as I'm getting now. So, where does it cross from low ohms to higher ohms? I'm 15 wrapped in 24 g kanthol parallels, and it's ppeerrffeecctt!!! BUT, I don't want to be in low Ohms. I'm only at 12 Amps, 94 Watts, so I'm not worried about my 20A bats going boom boom, but What is it that qualifies as low ohms and what makes them different than high ohms?

As stated high ohm's is a relative term. Your mod is in a series, which in series voltage is doubled, mah and CDR stay the same of a single battery so have to stay in that limit. Making clouds is not really all about the ohm's and amps pulled it is about the ending wattage, the actual power doing the work that matters. 0.7ish on a series is actually quite respectable, being max lowest on a series mech is about 0.4ish, lowest safest is roughly 0.5 to 0.6ish, about 50% of the CDR of your batteries. I have many devices, some in the 2 to 2.5ohm range at about 8watts, others in the 1.5 ohm range at 10 to 12 watts, still more on mechs specifically in the 0.5 to 0.6 ohm range on my drippers, others still about 0.25 on a regulated mod in the 40 to 60 watt range.

Morale of the story, use that which works best and safest for you personally, don't try keeping up with the Jones's in a game of follow the blind leader into danger ;p

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you asked me this 1 or 2 years ago I would have said anything higher than 2 ohms would be high. TODAY I say high is above 1ohm. Low today would be builds below 0.1 ohm.. one year ago low would have been 1ohm or less.

Personally vaping has pretty much moved beyond high vs low ohms as a safety concern. Batteries are still the limiting factor.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
If you asked me this 1 or 2 years ago I would have said anything higher than 2 ohms would be high. TODAY I say high is above 1ohm. Low today would be builds below 0.1 ohm.. one year ago low would have been 1ohm or less.

Personally vaping has pretty much moved beyond high vs low ohms as a safety concern. Batteries are still the limiting factor.

times sure have changed huh. I remember the 1st time i heard of someone building lower then 1 ohm, I thought it was crazy talk lol. this was many years ago.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Agreed, just 2 or 3 short years ago, I remember when anything below 0.2ohm was insanity and anything over a 1.5ohm was considered high ohm, and 4 years ago 1.5 was low and 3ohm cartomizers were high ohm, changing of the times

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
times sure have changed huh. I remember the 1st time i heard of someone building lower then 1 ohm, I thought it was crazy talk lol. this was many years ago.
No that was 2014 and early in 2015.... in fact the ONLY way it was even considered safe was by using a FULLY Mechanical mod.. I know because.. I started vaping juice in June of 2014. It was considered near heresy for the non EXPERT level vaper to consider building below 1ohm. Without mech and good battery.
2 years later it's hard to find a rig at over 1 ohm... unless it's an EGO style battery mod.
About the only thing that is the same is the list of safe batteries.. its still the same list of 6 to 10. I'm not sure that is good thing.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No that was 2014 and early in 2015.... in fact the ONLY way it was even considered safe was by using a FULLY Mechanical mod.. I know because.. I started vaping juice in June of 2014. It was considered near heresy for the non EXPERT level vaper to consider building below 1ohm. Without mech and good battery.
2 years later it's hard to find a rig at over 1 ohm... unless it's an EGO style battery mod.
About the only thing that is the same is the list of safe batteries.. its still the same list of 6 to 10. I'm not sure that is good thing.

Indeed....the industry sure went wild in a very short time....but I'm certainly not complaining.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Long and short of it is.. for a regulated mod, you go for wraps and surface area for clouds. The mod adjust the wattage and amperage to push power through the coil. Mods have a high and low limit.. usually 3.3 ohm and 0.1 ohm, respectively. The trick on a regulated box, is managing your wattage to power the coil and getting the coil to wick properly and not burn through in the middle. I tend to stay around 7 wraps per coil and configure the build as needed. For example, instead of using a 14 wrap coil, I would use 2x 7 wrap coils on the same side, and 2 more on the other, making a quad coil with... 28 total wraps. Same amount of wire, but double the wicking capacity. Mechanical mods, is where you need to figure resistance vs wattage vs heat flux. Since this is a new builders thread.. I won't get into mech builds below 0.15 ohm. But 2x 4 or 5 wraps of 24ga kanthal on a 3mm core is a decent mech build coming in around 0.22 to 0.27 ish ohms.

VU Sponsors