Become a Patron!

High watage builds/wicking assistance

Dbreezy187

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Currently picked up an istick 50 and a mutation x v4.... Well I have the istick 100 in the mail along with another v4 (I'm getting the wife off of smoking by giving her the 50) well what seems to work best for my taste/liking is a single 28g twisted on a 2mm driver at about 6 wraps using organic cotton well this is all fine an dandy at 40w but when I get to 50 I get a touch of a dry taste. I know I am probably improperly wicking or maybe my legs or just one leg may be glowing... Which is neither here nor there... When I get this 100w I really just wanna see what it feels like to blow clouds at 100... All I have here is 2-3feet of 28g kanthal n a bit of 28g nicrome what would you'll recommend building to prevent dry hits an blowing clouds... I'm not a fan at all with dual or multi coils... I was thinking maybe a staged heating with the kanthal between twisted nicrome or just the same but kanthal only... Thank you kindly for your time ....lemme know what ya think

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honest answer, the wire you have isn't suited to high wattage builds. You don't have what you need to get the results you're after. I'd venture to guess that the upper limit for the 28g kanthal in single-coil configuration would be around 70 watts, but even then, it's tricky. I say don't bother with the nicrome. It will overheat.

It'll be extremely difficult to pull what you're asking for off with a single. 28g just heats up too fast and there's not enough surface area for the heat to disperse across. It'll be a hot, hot vape with lots of dry hits and you won't get clouds. 28g singles simply are not meant for super-high-wattage use.

If you're really hellbent on doing a single, then do a triple-parallel 28g with the kanthal. What I mean when I say that, is wrap one parallel coil with three strands. 2-2.5mm diameter should be fine. Keep the resistance between .4 and .6. That should be enough. Alternatively, you could also do a parallel twisted, or a triple-twisted. I would advise you to start at no more than 60w and work your way up. The reason you are probably getting dry hits is because you are running too much power to a small coil. There's really no easy way around that with 28g.

I think that's about the best you could easily do with singles. What's your beef with duals, anyway? Duals are much better for vaping at high wattages. When done right, they double your surface area without overheating, which gives you much more vapor at no sacrifice to flavor.

I seriously advise to you try a parallel dual 28g setup. Somewhere between .22 and .4 will yield fantastic results at anywhere from 70w to 90w. It'll get you what you're looking for.

Also, if only one leg is getting hot, then that leg isn't making a solid connection. Make sure it's snug, but not broken. If you don't, it will guarantee hot spots and dry hits. It's not as minor as you make it out to be. It can ruin your vape.

For wicking, you want the cotton to be as fluffy as possible to ensure full contact across the inner surface of the coil, but less is more. When you're feeding the cotton through the coil, you shouldn't have to tug it much at all. It should slide through easily... ...just a minimal amount of resistance to it. Lengthwise, leave only enough to touch the deck.

In the future, if you really wanna see what high-powered vaping all about, get some 26g or 24g kanthal. Those will work well for single parallels or standard duals. If you want a really kickin single that's easy, then go for the 22g.

Good luck on the chase! You've really got your work cut out for you.

Last edited:

Dbreezy187

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you kindly for the reply... I've been reading through here n seen a few response's from you to others.. kudos to you. I thank you for the time you put forth assisting others especially with well thought out and grammatical correct replys. I am stuck on mobile so I apologize... Duel coil it may be a psychology thing for me I started with a kangar protank 2 then decided to upgrade n pick up a protank 3 (off ebay) well it ended up being a really bad clone that just tasted horrible... Then moved on up to the kayfun... Then to rda ... When I got an RDA I built a duel micro 9 wrap on a 2mm (I believe) and it tasted just like that protank 3 clone... 3or 4 months back I tried again and same result I honestly haven't given it a fair enough chance I guess my mind associated a dual coil with that bad experience.. I will definitely try what you have suggested here as well as in other threads... I'll probably give it a few puffs then drop it down to 30ish just wanted to see what the hype was about

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Like Mr. Zombie said, try a twisted (dual or triple) wire configuration. And either a single or dual coil setup in either single or parallel. Go to steam-engine.org to see the approximate outcome of your potential builds so you don't waste the few feet of wire that you have. And leave space under your coils for airflow (VERY IMPORTANT).

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you kindly for the reply... I've been reading through here n seen a few response's from you to others.. kudos to you. I thank you for the time you put forth assisting others especially with well thought out and grammatical correct replys.
It's no big deal. Writing and vaping just happen to be two deeper obsessions of mine, so it's a recreational activity for me. It helps me wind down and serves to keep things I've learned through countless hours spent reading and experimenting fresh in my mind. I'm very fortunate to be in a position to utilize one passion of mine in order to assist others with something else that I have a passion for. Now, if only I could find a way to improve my brevity...

I also just want to say that I don't care about the grammar that other people use... ...just mine, haha. I can understand you just fine. :)

The odd taste doesn't sound like it's directly related to using dual coils. I know that some dual-coil clearo heads do have a funky taste to them (some of the earlier ones were especially notorious for this - I have experienced it myself,) but dual coil RDA builds are an entirely different animal. A properly built, mounted, and wicked dual coil should not have you tasting anything but the juice you're vaping.

What are you using for wicking material? I can think of a few things that might make a dual coil build in an RDA taste like some of those awful early BDC clearo heads, but that would be my first attack point, assuming you're not doing anything too out of the ordinary with your duals.

I think duals are worth tinkering with, but if you already have a method and setup that you're satisfied with, then perhaps you're not missing all that much. There's nothing wrong with singles and there are folks out there who prefer them over duals. For people who prefer a low-wattage vape, they are superior to duals in some ways. I suggested a dual in this case because they tend to outperform singles for high-wattage applications.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TRY JAPANESE COTTON
PROBLEM SOLVE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phatdaddynxn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You would be surprised the dif that twist 2-3 strands 28g kanthal can make. Great tip: if you dont have a drill, hammer a nail into a board and snap the tab off a can of soda. Place the tab on the nail and pull a length of wire in oposite opening pull wire tight and twist with pliars. The tab can be taken off the nail easily instead of cuting wire and it recoiling or kinking.

Dbreezy187

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry for the delaut, I use Japanese cotten. I did however give duel coils another trytry with an open mind. The results were a lot better this time round. Alot better vape all around in compairision to what i was building. I thank you kindly for the replies

VU Sponsors