Become a Patron!

High wattage devices

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With high wattage regulated devices is it better to use higher ohm builds since you don't need the low ohms to achieve the high wattage like with a mech? Also is it better to use higher or lower gauge wire?

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The beautiful thing about regulated mods is that you can adjust the setting to how you want the atomizer to work. Building coils between 1ohm to 2 ohms will give you the widest range of adjustability. With mechs there is no control, only a continuing voltage drop so you have to be accurate with your coils. Regulated mods give you the power to run the coil as you like . So if you build a coil that is not perfect for a mech you can make it work more efficiently with regulation. When I build my coils I'm not thinking so much about how much Vaper I will get because I control the battery but how long will the battery last. But however you decide to build your coils it will be a consistent Vape until the battery dies.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 28 gauge wire. I don't know if it's better but it helps me find the ohm range I'm looking for and the coils last a very long time.

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was thinking like with mech mods we have to build low ohm coils to achieve high wattage which usually means less wraps but with a regulated device capable of higher wattage output we could build higher ohm coils which=more wraps=more surface area=more vapor.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also the gauge of wire will effect ohms. The thinner the wire or higher gauge will increase the resistance. For example, 7 wraps of 32 gauge wire will have a higher resistance than 7 wraps of 28 gauge.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is why back in the old days, atomizers were manufactured with high gauge wire with higher resistance because they heat up easier with lower voltage but because the wire was thinner , they didn't last very long before burning out. As time progressed and batteries got bigger and better , we could use atomizers with lower resistance and thicker wires. Which increased the longevity of atomizers.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only reason we buy 30-100 watts regulated devices is to sub-ohm,FOR me it doesn't make sense to you use this kind of devices if ur vaping 1.0 to 2.0 ohms,
I will simplify this for you..
Higher gauge wire are thin wires,and it will give you higher ohms...which will easily melt,if ur puffing on a 50 to 100 watts..
Lower gauge wires are thicker, which will give you lower ohms..
.1-.8ohms, now it makes sense to use this regulated devices,
Plus regulated devices can give options on how you want to vape the kind of juice ur vaping...IMO
Sent from my
LUMIA 1520

bbybee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm one of those oddballs, though I think there are more of us than realized, that has a comfort zone between .7 and 1.5 ohms. Sometimes you feel like a "sub", sometimes you don't.
I don't really have any need or interest in 100w, 50w, probably not even 30w. The attraction for me to these type of devices is the ability to put any atty, in the before mentioned range, I want. I like a consistent vape, to be able to use a .8 and have it stay at the same power is what appeals to me.

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
got my t5 today and been vaping 1.5ohm dual coil at 50 watts. so far its more vapor than one of my mech mods at .2 ohms dual coil. gonna try a lower ohm build later and see it theres a difference.

bbybee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea, what Kevin said. Been wondering about those.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
50 watts you could go 0.35 ohms and still get a good vape at 4.2v roughly. thats why i cant wait to get 100w device so i can play with 0.4-0.8 ohm builds and really find the optimal power setting for them. so many combinations of power and ohms with regulated devices esp ones that can handle 100w

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool, how is the build quality of the T5?
It feels really solid and well made. It's aluminum and its kind of textured. Its big but not nearly as big as it looked in the pre release photos. Standing beside my nemesis, the device itself is probably about as big as my neme+rda but it feels VERY good in my hand. Only complaint so far is the battery consumption. I got about 4 hours of time from a fully charged VTC4, but that was also at 50w the whole time and I probably would've swapped the battery in my mech mod by then as well and I would'nt have gotten a constant 50w performance for those 4 hours in my mech either. I don't have an IPV mod but I've seen people say the battery drain is better on those.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what regulated devices are all about. Finding your right ohms and wattage setting and enjoying the consistency of the Vape. Don't get me wrong though, I do have a mech but I rarely use it because I notice the battery drain and the Vape quality diminish which frustrates the hell out of me.

bbybee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The eternal search for the perfect vape rages on. Sure is fun looking for it.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't know the science exactly but just from experimenting with my iPV2 the best performance out of these high wattage regulated mods comes from pushing more voltage through higher resistance coils than a mech can. If you go super low resistance your going to get fairly bad performance compared to a mech because it starts to act like a mech just dumping what the battery can put out but you've got all kind of circuitry in there causing voltage drop (edit: voltage drop is probably the wrong term since they can control voltage, maybe inefficiency). Regulated I can put up to 50W through a 1.4Ohm coil while a mech would only be able to put like 13W through it. Throw some big old 28 gauge dual coils around 1.4 Ohms on there and it will surprise you.

Last edited:

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For some reason I noticed a HUGE increase in battery time when I switched from dual to single coil setup, more than double battery life.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For some reason I noticed a HUGE increase in battery time when I switched from dual to single coil setup, more than double battery life.
I don't really see how the number of coils could effect battery life. I believe I read that regulated its completely dependent on wattage and puff time. I think they even argued that resistance has little effect but even if it does, the same resistance at single or dual coil should use the same amperage. Maybe your single coil is just heating up a lot faster and so you are taking shorter puffs.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't really see how the number of coils could effect battery life. I believe I read that regulated its completely dependent on wattage and puff time. I think they even argued that resistance has little effect but even if it does, the same resistance at single or dual coil should use the same amperage. Maybe your single coil is just heating up a lot faster and so you are taking shorter puffs.

Dual coils take more time to heat up compared to a single coil, so they consume more amp/hours than a single.

RyGon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Dual coils take more time to heat up compared to a single coil, so they consume more amp/hours than a single.
Well technically the rate is the same your just using it more. The total firing time wouldn't be effected.

Last edited:

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After testing countless combinations with ohm's and wattage settings i found that i get, by far, the best taste with my dripper's running coils from 1- 1.8 ohms with wattage settings under 20 .

Luckily my battery last a long long time as well .

VU Sponsors