Become a Patron!

Highly rated recipes

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My taste buds must be suck!! I have made bunch of highly rated recipes on ELR and most of them tasted horrible.. Is it just me or people are rating it without mixing actual recipes?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A lot of those "high ratings" are posted by the mixers themselves, no one else. Taste is always subjective, I've made juices that I really liked, but others weren't overly impressed. And I've also made stuff that I didn't care for much at all that a few others loved. In all honesty, I think I've made maybe two recipes from ELR that didn't need severe tweaking or just washed down the sink. So no, it's not you. They probably just weren't very good.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As you go along, you will learn what flavors are good at what strengths and will be able to better spot the "questionable" percentages used in other recipes. I see them on many sites, recipes that require something like 8% FlavourArt forest fruit or 10% Inawera mango, or some other stupid high percentage of a flavor I've used and know quite well - and I know it's way too much for said flavor. Cut a lot of those in half or more and you might have a good mix. I'm also leery of any recipe that uses an overall flavor percentage of 20% and above. We know from experience that good flavor can be attained using much less.

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As you go along, you will learn what flavors are good at what strengths and will be able to better spot the "questionable" percentages used in other recipes. I see them on many sites, recipes that require something like 8% FlavourArt forest fruit or 10% Inawera mango, or some other stupid high percentage of a flavor I've used and know quite well - and I know it's way too much for said flavor. Cut a lot of those in half or more and you might have a good mix. I'm also leery of any recipe that uses an overall flavor percentage of 20% and above. We know from experience that good flavor can be attained using much less.

I have learned these after wasting lots of supplies :(

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have learned these after wasting lots of supplies :(

Par for the course, my man. Don't feel bad, I've dumped tons down the drain or gave away (some people can stand stuff I can't lol). Still worth it to get those "ooh la la nice" flavors that come from trial and error. Lots of error.

Stay away from root beer and licorice if you plan on reusing bottles, btw *nod nod*

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Par for the course, my man. Don't feel bad, I've dumped tons down the drain or gave away (some people can stand stuff I can't lol). Still worth it to get those "ooh la la nice" flavors that come from trial and error. Lots of error.

Stay away from root beer and licorice if you plan on reusing bottles, btw *nod nod*

Yeah I know I got 2 or 3 nice recipes that I really liked but I have dumped lots too. Oh well getting better slowly..

I don't even have those flavors I hate both of them so I didn't even bother order them. Funny thing is I like eating Cantaloupe, honeydew and Melon etc.. But in vaping I can't stand them don't know why.. I have ordered bunch of them but couldn't find a Melon family recipe that I like..

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Also not bashing ELR but it has changed recently, I have seen recipes get posted recently then a flood of votes come in and end up giving something a high ranking and some of those I fear are just friends pushing up ratings. This is not always the case - but some are, some even have reviewing with people commenting on this same thing... @Nameste also check out https://alltheflavors.com/

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny thing is I like eating Cantaloupe, honeydew and Melon etc.. But in vaping I can't stand them don't know why.. I have ordered bunch of them but couldn't find a Melon family recipe that I like..

I know the feeling. I don't know what you have tried, but if you haven't tried FLV Wild Melon I strongly suggest you do.
https://www.bullcityflavors.com/wild-melon-flv/ (for example)

Just add 2.8% of the flavor to your normal PG/VG/Nic. (if used) base, shake & wait 2 (or more ) days and enjoy.

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know the feeling. I don't know what you have tried, but if you haven't tried FLV Wild Melon I strongly suggest you do.
https://www.bullcityflavors.com/wild-melon-flv/ (for example)

Just add 2.8% of the flavor to your normal PG/VG/Nic. (if used) base, shake & wait 2 (or more ) days and enjoy.

I don't have that but I will get it if I can find it in Canada

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also not bashing ELR but it has changed recently, I have seen recipes get posted recently then a flood of votes come in and end up giving something a high ranking and some of those I fear are just friends pushing up ratings. This is not always the case - but some are, some even have reviewing with people commenting on this same thing... @Nameste also check out https://alltheflavors.com/

I've found some great recipes on ATF, but it takes some digging.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just mix whatever percentage you want to try of your flavor in a small bottle of your base (pg, vg, nic). 5ml, 10ml, 20ml, doesn't matter. I try mine in a RDA, it's much easier to rewick in between flavors.

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just mix whatever percentage you want to try of your flavor in a small bottle of your base (pg, vg, nic). 5ml, 10ml, 20ml, doesn't matter. I try mine in a RDA, it's much easier to rewick in between flavors.

Thanks. I guess rewicking is a must between flavors. And I think you need to go through a bit of tester for to get rid of new wick taste right?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I started DIY I decided I wasn't going to try and recreate or follow recipes but rather make my own that way they taste exactly like I made them although I have used a part of a few recipes to get a base line for my own. But I use flavorings no one else uses and could actually give two shits less what people think is great flavorings. I feel it isn't so much what you are using it is how you use it.

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks. I guess rewicking is a must between flavors. And I think you need to go through a bit of tester for to get rid of new wick taste right?

I know we all have our own methods....

But one thing I have done.. especially if I have mixed up a number of testers and put off testing them... I use half wicks or wicks that just barely come out of the coil... sample a flavor then vape on some juice I have mixed up with no flavor for a while... then move on to the other flavors. This is not the primary way but something I do to rush through some samples of flavors. And you will be dripping very frequent.

I have also used larger claptons and tested with no wicks-use caution on this and you can only get one or two drags, then drip more juice on-its not as accurate but for me it works in a pinch or super hurry.

I mostly just try to mix up 10mls and I just vape on them for a while in my RDA.

No matter how you do it - I would say its more important to make notes and lots of them and save them, I was using websites for this but I just ended up making an excel file.

Like @Teresa P I use cotton bacon, I feel I have tried every type of cotton even started with organic cotton balls... for some reason I kept going back to the cotton bacon-now its just a staple (have three packs in my rebuild tool box not even open, I just buy them as I order other items)...

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
A lot of those "high ratings" are posted by the mixers themselves, no one else. Taste is always subjective, I've made juices that I really liked, but others weren't overly impressed. And I've also made stuff that I didn't care for much at all that a few others loved. In all honesty, I think I've made maybe two recipes from ELR that didn't need severe tweaking or just washed down the sink. So no, it's not you. They probably just weren't very good.
This^^^

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This too^^^

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yeah I've seen some absurd recipes on ELR to be honest, some calling for FA flavorings at like 10%. Madness!

I only use ELR to see what people are using percentage wise for certain flavors and to get some minor references for a recipe I want to try and start.

Honestly here at VU is your best bet! Check out @HeadInClouds , his recipes are top notch and puts an ungodly amount of effort into the craft!

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's one thing I've learned about myself. Many times I'll try something and not like it at first. But if I vape it for awhile I'll start to enjoy it. This goes beyond cotton break-in time, it's more like 5-10ml time. Usually flavors I'll know quickly within a couple of mils, but recipes take much longer and part of it is experimenting with modes, temps, and wattage. Also, some flavors just don't taste good on their own, but they can take on different attributes when mixed with other flavors. It is time consuming.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@Nameste
heres a few ideas
1. search teh diy recipe section for anything by HIC or head in clouds
2. go to headin clouds website...forgot the link you will find it in his recipes I think. Pay like $4 for his for sale recipes
3. go to bull city flavors they have a section where you can order everything you need for certain recipes all at once

You will get some good recipes form those sources. MOst stuff on BCF is popular. HIC is a genius.. most people love his stuff...not everyone..but a lt do

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Nameste
heres a few ideas
1. search teh diy recipe section for anything by HIC or head in clouds
2. go to headin clouds website...forgot the link you will find it in his recipes I think. Pay like $4 for his for sale recipes
3. go to bull city flavors they have a section where you can order everything you need for certain recipes all at once

You will get some good recipes form those sources. MOst stuff on BCF is popular. HIC is a genius.. most people love his stuff...not everyone..but a lt do

I do like his recipes too. I already have bunch of flavors in cart for his recipes but I don't want to keep order again and again pay shipping again and wait again. So I am making one large order from a place in Canada ( I am in Canada btw)

That's why I was asking opinion on certain flavor

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
in terms of watermelon.. I can tell you RealFlavors watermelon tastes like a watermelon jolly rancher, not bad at all.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I do like his recipes too. I already have bunch of flavors in cart for his recipes but I don't want to keep order again and again pay shipping again and wait again. So I am making one large order from a place in Canada ( I am in Canada btw)

That's why I was asking opinion on certain flavor
And if you donate to VU you can receive BCV discount ;)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nameste

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And if you donate to VU you can receive BCV discount ;)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks but I rather to pay abit more than dealing with border crossing. Specially Canadian customs is pain in the neck to deal with if it gets hold at the border for some reason

VU Sponsors