Become a Patron!

hit lipo at max voltage 16.8

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just hit my lipo with the potentiometer set at 100 percent it comes in at 1568 watts! the build i have in is a 6 wrap staple staggared fused clapton (volcano wire) which comes in a .18 ohms. i didnt continuously hold down the fire button i pulsed it so the heat really wasnt too bad and yes i am in the safe parameters of my 4s lipo cell

DIY FancyLights

Member For 4 Years
16.8V into 0.18 Ohms would be 93 Amps! I seriously doubt you hit 1568 Watts and you batters probably sagged horribly and risk as well!

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
16.8V into 0.18 Ohms would be 93 Amps! I seriously doubt you hit 1568 Watts and you batters probably sagged horribly and risk as well!
i havnt calculated it with sag yet but it doesnt sag much and yes i know its 93 amps this battery had a 99 amp continuous discharge

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i havnt calculated it with sag yet but it doesnt sag much and yes i know its 93 amps this battery had a 99 amp continuous discharge
Just wait till Mooch finishes his lipo testing.
He has already indicated that some of them are doing Efest tricks and inflating the CDR rating a bunch.

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
it only sagged .4-.5 volts while i was pulsing it

DIY FancyLights

Member For 4 Years
Even if the batteries can actually handle 99A, at that type of current the wire & MOSFET's become VERY critical and will add significantly to the losses, reducing the actual current as well. I mean the recommended wiring for 90A is more then 3x 14 awg wire to be safe and prevent over heating. Then you have to look at the RDSon of the MOSFET's doing that switching to estimate what the losses will be through them as well as the heat being generated there. Not to mention if the battery rating is actually correct. I've seen battery packs rated for huge currents that only had 18awg comming out of the packs, which shows they really shouldn't be used for those currents.

Of course we don't have the full information as to how everything was put together, so we just have to assume it's not a safe setup..

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes good point. If rated for 90 amps CDR why only 20-30 amp max wires coming out of it?

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
True but about all the lipos I have seen only have about 10 ga max output wires.
i dont know what gauge mine are but i only hit it for a few quick seconds pulsing the button and nothing got warm except the rda

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i dont know what gauge mine are but i only hit it for a few quick seconds pulsing the button and nothing got warm except the rda
Good for you then.
although why someone would even want to vape that way.....

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the gauge measured in mm is 3.82 thats both wires comming out of the pack

DIY FancyLights

Member For 4 Years
Even 10awg is only rated for 55A.

This isn't just about heat, at high current you must take into account the voltage drop across everything, even including the wire. ANSI recommends 2awg wire for handling 94A! Even a fraction of a milliohm makes a difference when you are talking about that much current.

Everything must be taken into account for current like that ... the wire, soldering, how it's mounted etc. You could easily be loosing more in the circuit then your battery sag! That means you're well bellow 1500W and there are multiple potential points of failure you haven't talked about enough for use to identify. For example what MOSFET's and how many are you using?

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Using a little math, if 8 awg wire has 0.7 milliOhms per foot, then a 3 inch piece of said wire with 100 amps flowing would have to dissipate only 1.75 watts of power. Doesn't seem like you would notice any heating at all.

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Using a little math, if 8 awg wire has 0.7 milliOhms per foot, then a 3 inch piece of said wire with 100 amps flowing would have to dissipate only 1.75 watts of power. Doesn't seem like you would notice any heating at all.
i didnt notice anything getting hot

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But I still think a trolling motor battery would be your best bet to avoid any voltage sag. :wave:

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
"As far as the mod is concerned. Two at 20% is no different than .2 at 16.8 V except for the fact that you're using the PWM more therefore the mod isn't the question the fact whether or not you build, wicking and atty (and face lol) can handle nearly 1500 W ......is" this is what the builder said now the battery is a different question but since it didnt feel warm at all i think itll handle it to a certain extent

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Citing amp ratings means nothing without including the voltage. There's also a difference between ac and dc. 4vdc making 5 amps isn't the same as 120vac making 5 amps. Watch what kind of bullshit you spread.

mokeife

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Citing amp ratings means nothing without including the voltage. There's also a difference between ac and dc. 4vdc making 5 amps isn't the same as 120vac making 5 amps. Watch what kind of bullshit you spread.
whose spreading bullshit?

triakis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is very possible to "hit" a build north of 1kW, even several kW.
It's NOT something you would want to vape. Unless you like sucking on a firecracker!
Only the shortest pulses are possible before something on the build reaches ignition temperature.
But dialed back they do make for some crazy instant hits.
And dialed back even further one can chain for hours before needing to charge the lipo.
Ampacity charts aren't going to work here.
The runs are very short.
Look at the cross sectional area of woofer tinsels and the power that gets put through them. ;)

VU Sponsors